Metro Inn Haberfield

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Sydney

My tasty pizzaMy tasty pizza

Chris and I having a fun timeChris and I having a fun time

Liz and I @ The FringeLiz and I @ The Fringe

Wild kookaburraWild kookaburra

Visiting Sydney during Christmas

by bytez

Hi there, am from Malaysia and I'll be visiting Sydney (solo) on the 23rd-25th December before heading back to Brisbane. I've heard that it'll be a little quiet during the Christmas Season there, am I right? Also, do you have any suggestions for me during this period of time? Attractions perhaps.

My budget for this Sydney trip are roughly about $300-400. I've booked my hotel (Aspire Hotel Sydney) already and settled my accommodation for the time being. How about the transportation and what time does the train station usually close?

So a little help here would be highly appreciated. :)

Thank you.

Joseph.

by tropique

I highly recommend the coastal walk, starting from Bondi Beach all the way to Coogee Beach. It took us a little over 4 hours, and that included a short break in Bronte Beach.

If you like to check out the animals, Taronga Zoo.

And of course, the usual sights in Sydney such as Opera House, Bridge, The Rock, etc.

For transportation, you can get the red or green travel pass.

by craic

Will Sydney be quiet at that time? I have never noticed it gets quiet then. The streets will certainly be heaving with people shopping etc right up until late on the 24th.

Then, on Christmas Day, it can be a little different.

I have heard Bondi Beach is packed on Christmas Day with backpackers etc. But most shops will be closed. And restaurants.

ps pubs and clubs will be mad on christmas eve

and on boxing day - 26th - the sales start so the streets will be heaving with shoppers again

ps pubs and clubs will be mad on christmas eve

by RussoBH

Short on time?
Two suggestions of walk in Sidney

I think I did a map of the first one....I'll post it later. As you'll be next to Darling Harbour you can catch a ferry and head to Manly beach. And don't worry, Sydney never gets quiet.....

by lynnehamman

Train stations do not close-public transport is quite accessible.
A great day can be had by catching the ferry to Manly. See Sydney from the water.Manly has good pubs, restaurants and lovely beaches and walks. Ferry trip is about 40 mins.
Shops and restuarants are closed on Christmas day. There are one or two resturants open in Kings Cross on Christmas Day (Fountain restuarant is open, and serves ok food)
Sydney is never really quiet- there is always something going on somewhere. The Rocks area is usually filled with revellers.

by Purpleshade

Christmas is peak tourist season. It will NOT be quiet.

by bytez

Hello all. Thanks for those precious info. I'll look into those proposed locations. Glad Sydney is alive on that day just it's pretty hard for a grab of Munch :D XD

Thanks once again.

Travel Tips for Sydney

Balmoral Beach, Sydney North shore.

by linnyloo

Balmoral Beach is one of Sydney's more prestigious harbourside beaches, an ideal location on a summers day, great for a dip or picnic. It is a safe swimming beach.

Great facilities for kids and a lovely play park.
Restaurants and public toilets available.

Balmoral as a northshore suburb, is home to the well-heeled, mansions and private jetties the norm.

When in Sydney, do like . . .

by Dreks

Coming from a tropical country, i never quite fully understand the Westerner's love to expose themselves to a scorching sun until one afternoon on this trip, a freezing cold-to-the-bones struck me on my way back to my hostel. Even the hottest coffee at hand never soothed my trembling until i laid myself in one of the benches directly exposed under the heat of the sun at Hyde Park - oh what a relief! The funny effect though was while the their cheeks turned more rosy red, mine turned unproportionately more tanned than the rest of my skin! LOL!

Koalas

by cjg1

My wife has a big love of Koalas. During our trips to Sydney I have found ways to have Koala encounters for her. Taronga Park lets you take a picture with the Koala but no touching, plus the last time the Koala wanted to eat her head...long story. Symbio and Featherdale Animal Parks both have Koala encounters where you can touch and feed the Koalas. Both Symbio and Featherdale allowed Liz her up close and personal experience with her favorite "Fuzzballs", as she calls them.

If you are an animal lover or travelling with children I would suggest you try visiting Symbio and Featherdale for these Koala encounters.

**Just like any animal; they do poop. Be prepared for a little Koala poop pellets when you get up close and personal. They are animals and do have a strong smell; so be prepared for the stink. ***

The Wearing O' The Black!

by keida84

I got up early one day so I could take the ferry boat up to Mosman Bay when I noticed something. There were hoards of people heading into Sydney CBD for their day at work and the vast majority of them were wearing black.

Everywhere I looked I saw people dressed in black. Some women accented their black attire with a pair of red shoes or pink ribbon and the men wore mainly white shirts but some were renegade and actually wore light blue shirts and *gasp* I saw one man wearing a purple shirt with his suit.

Now I don't know if this is a fashion trend but it cracked me up to see it.

Packing List

by Gwynneth

You'll soon discover you can walk to so many of the transport spots available in Sydney. I would highly recommend a suitcase with a trolley handle and wheels. They're easy to manage and will save you money on cab fares. Walking is something I found most inner city people do to get from 'A to B'. Take some sensible shoes (unlike myself) to walk in, because if you're hanging out with the locals they think nothing of walking 4 or 5 city blocks to go for dinner. Ah! OUCH! My feet were not my best friends by the time we sat down for a delicious meal overlooking the Sydney Harbour Quay.

Comments