Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments Sydney

Satisfaction Average

Rated 17% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• Loops's Profile Photo

Self Catering on Darling Harbour

The Goldsbrough Apartments are in an old warehouse building, close enough to easily walk to Darling Harbour.

We got a 2 bedroom apartment on a high floor facing the city so we had a good view. The apartment was reasonably furnished with the basics (although much more 'tired' looking than the pics on the Goldsbrough website!). For Sydney it was fairly cheap and it had a kitchen so we were able to do some cooking and make packed lunches etc.

Unique Quality: The proximity to Darling Harbour makes it a good place to stay. Having apartment facilities also makes it ideal for families - there is more space for the children to get their things out and play and having a kitchen and being able to do some of our own cooking really saved on the food bill. There were also a washing machine and tumble dryer inside the apartment.

The apartments were serviced daily and things like washing powder, toilet roll etc were provided.

This apartment complex boasts about having a pool, which indeed it does, but it is a lot smaller than it looks in the photos - only about 3m wide! It was also freezing when we were there, but it could have been a thermostat problem (there was nobody to ask!).

Directions: Near the Convention Centre, the casino and the Novotel

• warzx's Profile Photo

Good view hotel

Very good experience, clean, neat and cosy. We got a stay at the penthouse and it was really cool. Good location!

Unique Quality: Good location, connected to the monorail, and the exhibition centre. The decor of the apartment is wonderful with colorful walls and fully equipped kitchen. Comes with washing machine, dryer and iron.

Directions: Next to Novotel Hotel, opposite sydney convention and exhibition centre. Connected to convention centre monorail.

More about Oaks Goldsbrough Apartments Sydney

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JosephNg

We have stayed in the two bedrooms room on the penhouse floor (Top floor). The view is excellent, the room is very large and clean, we love this room.

If you go with your family, highly recommend to book the room with two bedrooms.

Do not stay here

by TripAdvisor Member cloud9travel

We moved into a long stay fully-furnished 1 bedroom apartment here. First of all I should point out that each apartment is separately owned so every apartment is diffent. However the hotel itself and the service is apalling. We noticed on the day we moved in that the dishwasher was filthy and not working and my mailbox keyhole was missing. I complained about these immediately and the leasing agent kept promising to get them fixed. This continued with 3 agents in that office and each either gave excuses or kept saying they're waiting for a quote or just lying outright. The mailbox was finally fixed after 6 weeks and the dishwasher after 8 weeks. In the meantime stove blew a fuse and one agent noncholantly said it would take a "few days" to fix. That was the final straw for me. I told them what I thought of their service and said I wouldn't pay my rent on time for this kind of service. When we moved in, all the furniture was
filthy and so was all the crockery. I am paying rent based on the assumption that everything that comes with the apartment should be in working order and if anything is not working, it should be fixed ASAP. None of those people apologised even once for their inneptitude and laziness.
The room itself was dark and depressing - the bedroom window might as well be missing because it looks out onto the corridor inside so anyone can see inside if the blinds are open. The corridors have the look of a prison and the wooden floorboards make it noisy. The firealarm goes of at least twice a month and sometimes they don't even let the guests know that it was a false alarm. There are 3 lifts but very rarely do all of them work at the same time and the fire doors are all locked.
PLEASE PLEASE do NOT stay in this horrible hotel if you want to have a comfortable and hassle free holiday or long-term stay. Our 3 month lease will soon be up and we have found another place to move into.

A Hell Hole

by TripAdvisor Member ScotlandUKBobby

This hotel was our final stop on what had been a wonderful 3 weeks stay in Australia. Unfortunataly the apartment was horrendous as it was so dark we thought we had arrived in the dead of night.We had to put all the lights on just to see where we were, no natural daylight at all. The bedroom window overlooked the corridor so had to keep blinds shut, lounge window looked out to a wall of multi storey carpark. Furniture was filthy, well worn and I would not have let a dog sit on it. The worktop in the kitchen was covered in cigarette burns and chipped surfaces. The whole place was covered in dust and hairs and looked as it had not had a proper clean for years.
The corridor was like a Victorian Prison Gallery and echoed with every sound giving an uneasy feel to the place.
Needless to say we checked out and escaped to another Hotel losing our prepayment but were just glad to get out.
The taxi driver we used on leaving was not surprised as the Goldsbrough had a very poor reputation in the area.

This place really sucks!

We had to stay at one of the flats in this building for 3 months and it was a nightmare.
We moved in with our 3 months year old daughter and were shocked to see that the apartment was so dirty that walking on the floors made our feet turn jet black. On the same day we had to immediately wash all the carpets and upholstery to make it atleast usable. When I complained about this to the agent she said that she has an invoice that the owner had gotten it professionaly cleaned and hence cannot do anything abt it. It was very rude. When I asked her if they could get it cleaned again, her reply was tht there's already repairing going on in the bldg. and it would anyways get dusty so why clean!!

It was so dark that I would be away from the house with my baby most of the time.
No utensils in the kitchen were usable and so we had to buy our own. We also bought sheets/quilts/towels as the ones that were there were really dirty and un usable.

And yes, our wallet also got stolen while we were staying in the apartment. So people beware of this place

Very different to what they show on their website

by TripAdvisor Member Memsahib

Yes, the apartments are in a beautiful position close to amenities and transport. And I had a twinkling view over Darling Harbour at night.

The one bedroomed apartment that I stayed in for three nights was very different to what appears on their website. The bedroom was only just big enough for the queensize bed , so much so that there was space for only one bedside table and lamp and I could hardly move around the room to get dressed. Certainly NOTHING like the image shown on their website. The bathroom (not ensuite but down the corridor) had a shower over the bath with a curtain and no railing to hold when climbing in and out. So if you have any age related disability avoid this property as you will never get out of the bath. I asked for non-smoking and there were non-smoking signs on the walls outside the apartments but the whole apartment smelled very much of stale cigarette smoke. No signs within to say non-smoking.

The cooker in the kitchen looks like it came out of the ark. Very old electric. Fortunately I didn't have to use it. Although I booked a serviced apartment the bed was only roughly pulled up and sheets are only changed if you stay over a week. The bin in the bathroom was not emptied.

I could not see any modem point and there was no desk. A very small table that I had to wedge with paper so it didn't move when I was typing. If I hadn't had my own mobile wireless modem I would have had to use the phone line and that was on other side of room to the table. So take an extended phone cord.

The curtains didn't close and were hanging off the rails.

The day I arrived only one of three elevators was working which meant there were half hour waits at peak times. There is no porter service and I had to leave two bags in the foyer and make two trips to my apartment as the luggage trolley didn't fit into the left with all the people who had been queuing to get up. Stairs not available unless there is a fire.

The "state of the art" gym is a joke.

Toiletries do not include a shower cap so make sure you pack one if you decide to risk staying there.

The building is a restored wool store and had some charm in its lovely old wooden floors and high ceilings but there was something about the look of each floor that reminded me of Alcatraz prison with metal gates and unusual colour scheme.

I used Hotelclub to book this apartment and it was a reasonable deal but I thought I was paying for 4 star and would say it was closer to 3 star.

Staff were stressed by the lift problem on the first day and gave me the wrong details for colleagues staying in the same apartments which meant we didn't make contact till the next day as I was getting no response from the apartment I was given.

As a regular visitor to Sydney , I will make a point not to stay there again

Star rating vastly inflated - do not stay here!!

by TripAdvisor Member Kiwi-Traveller2

I booked a 2 bedroom apartment at the Goldsbrough after being told by an internet booking agency that there were virtually no 2 bedroom apartments in central Sydney over the period we were staying as it was a holiday weekend and the start of the school holidays. So that I didn't miss out I booked straight away without checking on Trip Advisor - what a fool I was! Afterwards I found on their website that they had both 3.5 and 4.5 * apartments so I rang and asked if they were able to confirm a 4.5* which they did. They said it had been recently refurbished which was why it was 4.5 star. I thought if it was 4.5* it must be much better. I also requested non smoking and as high as possible as some of the reviews had mentioned that the lower apartments were very dark.

Even though we were on the top floor we were very disappointed. We travel a lot and there is no way that this place was 4.5* - more like 3 *. I hate to think what the unrefurbished apartments were like or those on the lower floors. The phone didn't work despite my drawing it to their atttention twice the first night, bedside lights didn't work and the decore was getting knocked about already.
The place had an odd smell, was stuffy despite the airconditioning and very noisy with the motor way in front and a triple set of flyovers on the side as well. The second bedroom was small, dark and like a cell and faced into the internal space. My daughter and friend said the window rattled all night and there did not appear to be any air conditioning vent in their room (I may be mistaken) so it was incredibly stuffy. The pool looked dreadful - not inviting at all.

As a result I went out at 7.30 am the first morning to look for alternative accommodation (having been woken at 5.30am by the roar of traffic). I was lucky enough to find a 2 bedroom apartment at the Grand Mercure which was great . The Grand Mercure is only ranked 4* star but it was far superior in all respects. We moved out at 9am and really enjoyed the rest of our stay.

The staff at the front desk were very good about our moving out - mind you as Sydney ended up totally booked out over the weekend they probably didn't have too much trouble filling with some other person who had no other option.

My advice is DO NOT STAY HERE if you are expecting anything above 3* accommodation. I did not look at any other apartments but the 3.5* especially on the lower floors would probably rank no more than 2 stars.

Fantastic Accommodation

by TripAdvisor Member Fairyfort

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment and requested a harbour view before we arrived. The view was one of the best things about our apartment, overlooking Darling Harbour with the Sydney skyline a short distance beyond the harbour.

Our apartment had two floors, with two bedrooms and two bathrooms downstairs and the kitchen and living room upstairs. It is clear that the management here pay very careful attention to detail, providing all necessary essentials such as washing powder, washing up liquid, teabags, milk sachets and much more. There is also a washing machine, dryer and dishwasher in each apartment.

There is a swimming pool and spa in the complex as well as an internet cafe in the building. Darling harbour and Sydney's main shopping and business districts are only a short stroll away but the immediate area is not too busy, and the apartments are located on a quiet road.

We had a fantastic time staying at the Goldsbrough apartments and I would definitely stay here if I find myself in Sydney again or in another Oaks property if I am elsewhere!

lovely views, restored building

by TripAdvisor Member susan20

Stayed on top floor of a restored warehouse, could look straight down through many floors so not for those who don't like heights. Very safe rails etc but would feel unsafe if young children unsupervised. Apartments are two storey, living above, bedrooms down below, excellent kitchen facilities and well maintained. Security staff and reception very friendly, booked local tours and had good knowledge for this. Darling Harbour is very tourist minded, restaurants abound, aquarium open til late and chinese garden excellent. (dress up in costume). Good monorail links and boats to circular quay, best location for that. Indoor poolwas a lap pool, sauna in changing rooms and jacuzzi being renovated.
Some reviews varied in comments but all family thought apartment was great. Had a walkway to shops and restaurants, good coffee shop downstairs. More unusual accomodation than a hotel, historic and interesting.

Comments