Oaks Maestri Towers

298-308 Sussex St., Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia

• Not worth 4 stars

My partner and I stayed at this hotel last night. As we were checking an other couple were loudly complaining about their disgusting room. When I went up to the studio apartment I could see why. They furniture is old (chairs have rips in the fabric, coffee table has many scratched and ring stains) and the tiles in the bathroom have dirty stains in the corners. We were also under the impression we would receive a Queen/King bed (as stated on the booking form) but ended up with a double. The balcony is also like 20cm. Fridge made a loud whistling during the night (thankfully this did not last more than 1hr) and the spa wasn't all that warm. Now that i have finished my rant I supposed I should say some good things: The room was very spacious and the place feels safe and secure with the security tags. The man who helped me a the front desk was also very friendly.

• Horrible customer service by reception boy

We arrived and got our rooms only to changed to another one as the air-con was broken and leaking and the tech could not fix it. That was appreciated. The room we then had needs a good paint but we had a balcony and all facilities I expected. Clean towel and bed made daily that was good too. The very disappointing part was when we were checking out. We had paid some of the price through a holiday voucher. All was fine when I booked the accommodation from Brisbane, I knew exactly how much was owing. We checked out after having a discussion with a tall, smart alec young man. We left our bags in the baggage room until we had to leave in the afternoon. We were out siteseeing when I receive a call saying we still owed over $200. Well you can imagine that put a big damper on what was a special weekend. He argued the point, was rude as hell, kept ringing asking for more money. Seems that the manager of the hotel does not understand the deal that Oaks have with this discount company. Get your facts straight guys. I am telling all my collegues not to rest at Oaks and I know plenty....... Worst customer service at reception by a person with no customer service skills. Even chastised us in front of a full reception area............we paid half the money just to get our bags out which were held to ransom.

• Jenelle7's Profile Photo

Lots of room

We had a very nice stay at the Maestri Towers. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment, that all the space you could wish for, with the added amenities of a dishwasher, washing machine and dryer.
    The room was very clean and safe, as you needed a swipe card to get to your floor, and the amenities at the hotel were also very good.
    There was an indoor swimming pool and spa, as well as a fitness centre.
    The hotel is right in the centre of the city, with Town Hall station right across the road. There are loads of shops and restaurants within walking distance, and though the traffic outside didn't stop all night, being on the fifth floor muffled the noise.... slightly. Anyway, you don't go to Sydney to sleep, though after coming out of 21 hours of flying on the way back from Italy, I managed to sleep through the noise anyway.
    The apartments are not fully serviced, which means that they really only come every second day to change your towels and sheets, but if you want it changed everyday, you just need to request it from reception.
    Reception is not 24 hours, but if you need to check in after 6pm, you can call security and they can check you in quite easily.

Unique Quality: The view from the room was quite nice, but the most unique quality I thought was the washing machine and dryer, which were very handy.

Directions: Town Hall area

More about Oaks Maestri Towers

Great Location Darling !

by Tayto about Goldsbrough Apartments

The Goldbrough apartments are right on Darling Harbour and are really well situated for a number of main sights, the convention centre, Darling habour's restaurants, the Casino and you are right on the mono rail which links to the Sydney Tower etc etc.

We booked the aprtments over the net by searching for apartemtents in Sydney nd took a chance on them.

They are build in what looks like an old warehouse or dockland storage area and have been renovated to a high spec.

There is a small coffee shop in the building where they do great coffee and carry out cakes / sadwiches etc or you can sit in and there is also a few Internet terminals for those VT'ers who just can't get away from the key pads. A unique qaulity is the underground swimming pool. Its a long but very narrow pool (30 metres by about 2 !!!). The style is like something out of a roman villa with marble pillars and floors. Its kind of eerie if you are down there on your own.

The really funny thing about the pool is that the CCTV beams the pictures to your TV set in your room so you can see who's in the pool and jacuzzi when you get bored with Australian TV...which lets face it can be quite often...you can do your own fly on the wall documentary on the other guests and residents....a sort of DIY Big brother. Well there is a bit of the voyeur in us all !!

It is a bit of shock the first time you realise that you have been CCTV'd and wonder what was I doing when I was in the jacuzzi a few minutes ago....lol.

Pleasantly Surprised

by TripAdvisor Member annaveil

After reading the reviews we were a little concerned with the booking we had already made at Oaks Maestri Towers. A friend and I stayed there for two nights 11-13th December. We called prior to arriving, requesting a high room, with a view. We also mentioned it on checking in. We were pleasantly suprised when we entered our 2 bedroom apartment on the 21st floor. On the ground floor was a toilet and hand basin, and an open plan living area, with a good sized kitchen, lounge and dining area. There were full length windows that looked out over Darling Harbour. The balcony was only small but sufficient. As we are both smokers it was imperitive that we had somewhere to smoke that didn't mean we had to leave the building. The downside was that there was no table on the balcony, only a couple of chairs, but because we were so delighted with the room, we didn't worry about it. Even though on the 21st floor it was still a little noisy outside on the balcony, but very quiet inside the apartment with the doors closed.

On the next level were two bedrooms, the master one had a king size bed with an ensuite that included a bath. The second bedroom had twin beds, and there was also quite a large bathroom. It was all very clean and in good condition. The lifts were fast, although we initially had some trouble operating them with the keycard, and there was one in particular that didn't seem to want to work for us at all, so we tended to use the second one.

We found the staff very helpful and friendly. We also used the hairdresser across the road which we really have to recommend. It's called the Shooting Star and we both booked in for a wash and blow wave prior to going out for a dinner engagement. The head massage we got, while our hair was being washed, was worth the $30 alone, let alone having a blow wave afterwards! If I go back to Sydney I'll be going back there just for another head massage!

Would highly recommend the Oaks Maestri Towers, but I do think making a point of requesting a high room is paramount.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Brad_t001

We stayed at the Maestri Towers for one month, November-December 2005. The rate we paid for the apartment was very reasonable for the quality we got. We booked a 1 bedroom apartment. The apartment was big and spacious, with a lounge, dining area, kitchen, large bedroom and large bathroom. All of these rooms were very clean.

The location is brilliant. It is just across the road from Darling Harbour, right in the centre of the Sydney CBD where there is always something to do, no matter what the time. Town Hall train station is just 2 blocks up from the apartment which makes it really easy to reach any point in Sydney. Also within walking distance is the Star City casino, Harbour bridge/ Oprah House and Centre point shopping mall.

The apartment had great facilities as well. In the room we had a CD player, DVD player, TV and large Fridge. Downstairs there is a lovely indoor pool, spa and sauna. Staff were always friendly and helpful. I would reccomend this apartment to anyone seeking a clean, reasonably priced place to stay at a great venue in the absolutely amazing city of Sydney.

rather claustrophobic

by TripAdvisor Member sunbeam64

We stayed here for 5 nights in August - having booked directly months ahead requesting a 1 bedroom apartment with a harbour view. We found our apartment to be very clausrophobic. We had no view and were on the 4th floor - our windows looked into an internal courtyard which received no sun. The apartment was smaller than we had anticipated and the kitchen was almost non-functioning. When we arrived the freezer compartment of the fridge was so full of ice the door wouldn't close. We had to de-frost it overnight by getting up and down and chipping ice away, placing warm bowls of water in the fridge and also mop up dripping water that kept us awake. There was also somone's old food left in the fridge when we arrived.

The kitchen wasn't a kitchen - it was a hotplate and sink. - no bench space and the toaster had to sit on the hotplate - dangerous. Kitchen cupboards so high up - the shorter person in the party couldn't reach anything - needed to stand on the chair.

Good to have a washing machine and drier. But not good to have no hot water on our last morning - no shower and this affected all of the apartments - no apology either.

Comfortable beds - but all in all we found this place to lack lustre and be very unwelcoming - not a place you would want to have to spend the day if you felt like relaxing at "home". We won't go back here but would choose something else in the same handy area - there is plenty to choose from.

Very pleased

by TripAdvisor Member Spyro

My son, daughter and I had a long weekend in Sydney and stayed at the Oaks. We were all very impressed with our accommodation. One bedroom apartment, well equipped kitchen, dishwasher, microwave. Television. DVD. sound system.The room was large and sunny. Our only complaint in regards to our particular room, was we were on level 2 on the corner. There was a street light directly outside at window level, which when we turned off our lights brightened the room extremely well - no need to stumble over things or turn a light on if up wandering during the night.
The Oaks is convenient to many things in Sydney, such as Central Station, Paddys Market, Chinatown, Chinese Garden, Darling Harbour, Ferry and Monorail (although why you would go on that bets me). The walk into Circular Quay is also a comfortable distance. A convenience store is just across the road, as are loads of restaurants nearby.
Pool, Spa, Sauna and Gym are all available for guests use. Staff, as in all places some are better than others.
We travelled from the airport (domestic) to the Oaks via taxi, costing us $35.00 - if you do the same I would suggest telling the driver it is near the corner of Bathhurst and Sussex - easier for him considering Sussex is a one way street. The train from the airport is $11.00 each with a ?4 block walk.
Yes, we would consider staying there again if in Sydney.

Sydney Tower Views

by Kathrin_E

Go up the tower and enjoy the view of the city...

When we flew into Sydney, we came in from the ocean. In the meantime the wind has turned and the planes do a wide semicircle over the city to approach the airport from the west.
In other words, those lucky guys and gals on board get the full panoramic view of city and harbour!

views from sydney tower

by willy_wonka

the views from up here in the AMP/Centrepoint Tower are amazing.

here you can see the shadow of the tower falling across hyde park onto st mary's cathedral.

lovely sydney harbor, in the distance you can see the cliffs that mark "the heads", which is the entrance to the harbor. in the foreground, is some australian navy ships.

the darling harbor district, with the monorail passing across the river.

in the centre of the greenery is the australian war memorial in hyde park.

glimpses of the opera house between all the tall buildings surrounding the area.

sydney stretching out in a south west direction... vaguely in the distance you can see the airport. while up in the tower, we saw many planes landing. it was cool to see!

Maestri Towers Hotel

by Jenelle7

Hey Guys,
I will be coming to Sydney in Late October and I am staying at the Maestri Towers for 4 nights. Just wanted to know of anyone who has stayed there and what it is like. The website makes it look great but looks can be decieving.
Thanks

Re: Maestri Towers Hotel

by colin_bramso

I haven't stayed there, but the group which runs it has a good reputation and it's in an excellent location. I'd say you've made a good choice.

Comments