Pensione

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• CandS's Profile Photo

Pensione Hotel

I stayed at the Pensione Hotel in June 2006 with 6 girlfriends in two 4 bed rooms. The rooms were fairly small but big enough for all of our stuff (including a small baby and his 'stuff'). The rooms are very neat and fresh and the beds are very comfortable...oh and the shower is great too! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone else and I would stay there again without a second thought.

Unique Quality: The location of the hotel is great...we were right on George Street very close to the theatres and restaurants and out the back door was Sussex Street where Chinatown is. The hotel also has a kitchen & lounge area for communial use. Another great thing was that the rooms were very quiet and very dark...it was easy to sleep in... ;)

More about Pensione

Perfect for exploring

by TripAdvisor Member Gaffer75

We were a bit apprehensive about staying in the Pensione after reading some of the tales on this site, but I do have to wonder what some people expect for the price. The hotel is in an excellent location in George Street. We asked for a room at the back to avoid the noise of the main road. The windows are paper thin and if you like a quiet night make sure your room is not at the front. The rooms aren't big but how much time do you intend to stay in your room when you visit Sydney? A bedside lamp would have been nice rather than just the main light, but any quibbles are minor. I requested an extra pillow and blanket and found the service excellent. Personally I wouldn't bother upgrading to a "deluxe" room - we stayed in both as we visited the hotel twice and the only extras you get are tea and coffee making facilities and a chest of drawers. Showers are excellent, communal areas for internet and laundry use are superb if you need them and for the money I found this an excellent choice. Clean, modern and friendly.

Never staying here again!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member FITCHICK711

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and this was one of the worst hotels we've ever stayed in. Location of reception is not the best at all especially if you are dragging around a few luggages. We were not too happy not having tea and coffee in our room, I was willing to pay extra to have it but was told at reception that they're out of kettles. So off we went every morning to the communal kitchen and a few times I've forgotten to bring the keycard with me and was stuck in the elevator. My mum did exactly the same thing and got stuck between two locked doors at 6am, I find this extremely unsafe and very frightening. We just wanted our morning cuppa without having to think too much and having to get dressed and to remember to bring everything! Not having any glasses, spoons, cups in your room does not help either. You either buy this or hire at reception.
I love to read before I go to bed at night but could not do it with this hotel because there isn't any reading light. I would have gladly paid a lot more in a much better hotel and not have to go through all that inconvenience. The only positive thing about this hotel is the location, central to everything and bus stop right in front of the hotel.

Avoid

by TripAdvisor Member Sharkboy

Despite calling itself a "boutique hotel" the Pensione is nothing more than an expensive hostel. It is located in a pretty seedy part of town although it is not far from the main tourist sights and shops. There is a busy main road at the front and a noisy bar/pool club below which stays open until the early hours of the morning. The reception is upstairs and closed at night. I paid for a "deluxe" room but it was small, cold, noisy and barely furnished (just a wire rack to hang clothes on and a chest of drawers). There was a single blanket on the bed (covered in old pubic hairs), no bedside lamp and no chair. The heating mode on the air conditioner did not work. It was almost impossible to sleep. The bathroom was OK with a nice large shower. Unless you are a backpacker you will be very disappointed if not disgusted with this place. Pay a bit more and avoid it.

Amazing with a capital "A"

AMAZING WITH A CAPITAL ''A''
When I booked to go to the Pensione hotel for the first time I was not expecting much since I read the reports on this web site. It was my third time there last week and it keeps getting better each time I return. When I walked in I was amazed. Rodney greeted me with a warm smile and made me feel SOOOOO welcome. I have now met nearly all the staff members but Amanda, Brett, Michelle and Kelly stick in my head and I am delighted to see them each time I return. The rooms are as clean as clean can be and the showers are Huge.The beds were extra comfy! Its B-E-A-U-tiful and I loved the pub down stairs. Due to it just being renovated it looks fabulous! I had a ball and it is in a perfect area. I went to the market nearby and it only took me 5 minutes.Thats how close it is too everything! I don't know how any one could critisize this adorable joint. If you do, I think you are making it up to make this "Amazing with a capital A" hotel look bad!

Everything we needed

by TripAdvisor Member travelbug69

We were in Sydney for a 2 night "short break". We found this hotel perfectly suited to our needs. Ideally located near to many attractions, shops, theatres, markets, monorail, cafes and restaurants we were able to make best use of our short time in the city. We found the room quite comfortable and the staff very obliging. We made use of luggage lockers, arriving too early to check-in but did not use communal kitchen and lounge area, preferring local cafes.
Bathrooms were spacious but we found the handbasin unusually small and not particularly user-friendly. Unlike other reviewers, we had tea and coffee making supplies in our rooms and made full use of this facility.
We would definitely stay in this well priced hotel again.

A glorified hostel...

Our room was a bed and not much else for the same price that other five star hotels charge! It was one floor above busy George Street in Sydney's inner city so sleep was not an option and I was 6 months pregnant at the time!

My parents stayed there the same night that we did and their room was in the same position but two floors up from the street - evidently being an extra floor up did not make a difference to their quality of sleep either!!

We found the front desk staff to be lacking in customer service and totally incompetent. We were given a different, more basic room than we had booked on arrival, but at the end of our stay we were asked to pay the price of the deluxe suite that we had originally asked for - sorting this out with the staff was a real headache.

Next time we will stick to hotels that we know instead of "boutique hotels" that look great on the internet but in reality are very, very basic and not worth the money that they are charging.

We will not stay at The Pensione again and recommend that whoever reads this does not also!

Would Definately Recommend

A centrally located, friendly and clean hotel. Very helpful staff. Bus stop outside the hotel and Chinatown and Paddy's markets just around the corner. Would definately recommend!!

Pensione Hotel Sydney

by rickeyru

Anyone ever stay at the Pensione Hotel Sydney. I'm looking for a hotel for 4 nights in Feb, at a good rate. The Pensoine seems to have good prices, however don't know anything about the hotel or location. Any suggestions on other hotels (around the $125.00/night Candian).
Thanks

www.wotif.com.au

Jack

RE: Pensione Hotel Sydney

by stedeb

I was in Sydney last week and stayed a few doors down from the Pensione on George St at Pacific International Apartments (not hotel, highly recomend. Fab location right near Haymarket & China Town, good walk straight down George St to Circular Quay and central shopping area alternately taxis are plentiful.

Comments