36 College Street, Sydney, New South Wales, 2010, Australia

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• carolynnv's Profile Photo

Great Location

We stayed there for 10 days in January 2006. Although the lobby may come across as cold and stark, the staff were very accomodating and very pleasant. The concierge lounge was closed for renovations, so we were able to have drinks, etc. and free breakfast in the restaurant. In the evening, 6 or so tables were 'reserved' for those who would have had the lounge. The guest rooms were roomy and comfortable. The bathroom was huge and the shower/bath huge as well. Location is excellent. Right at Hyde Park, and a block or so from two train stations - Museum and St. James. Just down the street was a bus stop that would give us buses to Circular Quay. Shopping at the QVB, Pitt Street, and high end stores (Louis Vuitton, Chanel) about a 10 minute or so walk. For dinners, if you wanted to stay in the neighborhood just another 10-15 minute walk to Stanley and Riley Street area - and several restaurants - great people watching and decent food. (The Hard Rock Cafe is about a 20 minute walk from hotel.) The hotel staff gave good advice on restaurants, sightseeing how-to's,etc. The pool area, though small, was more than adequate. We did not eat in the restaurants - except breakfast - so cannot offer tips on that. When we return to Sydney we will definitely return to the Marriott.

Unique Quality: Location..... nice staff

Directions: Hyde Park area

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

No longer a Marriott Hotel !!!!!

Well, last time I was in Sydney we stayed at the Four Seasons in Circular Quay, but to my disappointment, it was full,(The international boat show was in town) and we had to opt for another hotel, and WE are SOOOO Glad we did. This Marriott is located at the end of Hyde Park is a very elegant hotel, with impecatable service. The rooms are nice and large, HUGE bathrooms, microwave ovens, wine glasses, mini fridge, ironing boards, everything that a 5 star hotel provides at 4 star hotel prices !!!! ...all standard.......85% of the rooms face the park, and the hotel staff is one of the best I have encountered anywhere in the world. The concierge's, the bell hops, the front desk, whatever the need, they had the answer !!!! Instead of paying $400 AU a night at the Four Seasons, We ended up paying $275 AU for a suite and the room was larger and better than the suites at the Four Seasons........and next time I come to Sydney, I will stay here again, no questions !!!!!

UPDATE : MAY 2008

I must say I was disappointed in the changes made here....They have renovated the hotel in these dark hues, dark brown, dark red, very ugly tones, and they have made staff wear casual polo shirts as uniforms, very informal.......this property has lost it's touch, don't know if i'll stay again !!!! The suite I paid for in 2004 for $275 AU is now $500 AU !!!!!

Unique Quality: on the 27th floor this hotel has a swimming pool, and small work out gym.......When arriving past midnight, the front sliding glass doors are locked and one must buzz the front desk to open for you.......and once inside, you must swipe a room key in order to get the elevators to work.........this security is great....especially for a female traveler !!!!

Directions: At the south end of Hyde Park

• mypriority's Profile Photo

Hotel around Hyde Park

Junior Suite of Sydney Marriott has a magnificient view of the tower and Hyde Park. Very good night sleep...zzzzz

• mypriority's Profile Photo

Hotel around Hyde Park

Sydney Marriott is right around Hyde Park, no effort to locate. It has got a nice roof-top swimming pool. Most of the rooms will overlook Hyde Park and AMP Tower.

I stayed in Junior Suite. A$350 a pop, no less.

By train, you can get out from Musuem Station. And, it is just 10 minutes walk from AMP Tower, as well as, in walking distance from Circular Quay.

Oh, be careful. There are two Mariotts in town. Another one is Marriott Sydney Harbour Hotel near Circular Quay!!

The Aussie who was picking me up actually waited for me half an hour at the other Marriott! And, when I caught a taxi to come to his Marriott, the taxi-driver lost the way. So. we ended up one hour late for the meeting.

More about Sydney Marriott Hotel

Fabulous experience strange bathroom

by TripAdvisor Member skihorse17

Marriott has yet one more reason for an excellent reputation of service and quality. This hotel is between a 4/5 star but without a doubt service is a 5. The employees at this hotel are fabulous and will do whatevers asked or not. We were unfortunate enough to have a party member fall extremly ill and needed a thermometer immediatly and the concierge offered to run home and get theirs if they could not locate a pharmacy. They also handled our kids mistakes and calls at all ours of the day with extreme grace and understanding. The hotel was impecably clean and in a quiet location. The way the bathroom is shaped is the strangest we have ever seen and not up to typical marriott standards but is encased in marble anyways. Regardless the shower is steaming hot and controllable. Nice place with great staff.

by TripAdvisor Member warren_zevon

Arrived very early from Edinburgh and they couldn't be more accomodating. Early Access - no problem. Good Hotle, good location - next to railway station. Left main luggage while we went to Perth ans Melbourne - again no problem. Good value too!

Wonderful hotel - can't fault it!

by TripAdvisor Member Helthemel

Wow! This hotel has really got it all. I have to say they have got it spot on here. The Concierge service is the very best I have ever experienced - especially Simon who was an absolute star.....to say nothing was too much trouble is a massive understatement! We walked across Sydney from here very easily and the bus service is fantastic here too. The reception had everthing for business use, internet terminals and meeting areas etc. The restaurant is excellent and the rooms were heavenly! Two double beds, Sattelite TV, very spacious room, fantastic bathroom with very big corner bath and a mini bar and tea/coffee facility. Our room faced right onto Hyde Park which is beautiful and there is a really nice gym/jacuzzi area on the top floor. There is a great outdoor pool on the roof and seating area (just a shame it was too cold when we went in August to use it!). Ten out of ten :-)

Great Location, helpful staff

by TripAdvisor Member SeatravelerWa.

Stayed at the in town Marriott just as the weather turned warm for the summer, the air conditioners worked well. This is a great location to walk through town, somewhat less touristy then the other Marriott located at the Harbour.
We stayed on a high floor, the views were impressive, could see all the way to the beaches.
Room was average size with odd bathroom arrangement but very comfortable. Executive level amenities were less than average for a Marriott. The staff however made up for that, everyone was very helpful and especially the door staff.
Easy walk to shopping, restaurants and night life

Great experience at the Sydney Marriott during a holiday period!

by TripAdvisor Member PacNWtraveller

I stayed at this Marriott on Dec 30 and 31, 2006. Amazingly, with no hotel rooms available in the city on New Year's Eve, I was able to get this 5-star property on Dec 31 for Marriott Rewards points (so if you're looking for a New Year's Eve hotel room next year and have Marriott points to use....)!

My 14th floor room had a nice city view over to the mountains and a huge triangular soaking tub (not whirlpool spa, but it was the size of the typical spa tubs found in Marriotts in the US). I found it to be a great retreat from the bustle of the downtown Sydney CBD (central business district.) Hyde Park is across the street. The hotel has a rooftop pool which, when I was there, was generally not crowded. It's near the Museum cityrail underground train station, and a 20-30 minute walk from the restaurants and shops at Darling Harbor.

Staff were very friendly. As someone else mentioned, the concierge service during my stay was TOP NOTCH, up there with the best I've ever experienced in a hotel (the other great experiences were also in Marriotts, and this is largely why I prefer the brand.) In particular, Mark was very helpful to me.

Internet costs an amazing $24.95/day AUD. You're probably better off using one of the $5/half-hour public machines in the business center, or getting out of the hotel to use an even less expensive Internet cafe (they're plentiful in Sydney) unless you need the security of a personal connection on your personal notebook.

Full breakfast (hot/cold) was $32 AUD, which isn't the greatest value in the world, but seemed in line with most meal pricing in Sydney. Since Marriott breakfast buffets are good fuel for a busy day of touring or work, even if it's a bit much, I recommend it.

They were also nice enough to store most of my luggage for a few extra days between checkout and my departure from Australia, while I visited with a friend who lived on one of the northern beaches.

I'll definitely stay there again when visiting Sydney, and I recommend this property to others.

Too expensive, no service and poor breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member PepaSingapore

We stayed at this Marriott from Dec 30 to January 2007. Location is great but this hotel is max. 3 stars, even if we have paid for a 5 stars. The staff told us always yes, but they did not do anything (no restaurant bookings, no information about fireworks tickets,..). Room service did not make the room properly (3 of the 5 days)-see pictures. Breakfast is very small, for 3 days there was no fried eggs or omelets option. Small cheese plate was always empty. No fresh juices. Coffee and Tea terrible and we had to wait every morning at least 20 minutes to get a table.

If you get a great price, the location is very nice, but do not pay too much and do NOT expect Marriot standards.

Comments