Quality Hotel Cambridge

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

212 Riley Street, (formerly Comfort Inn Cambridge), Sydney, New South Wales, 2010, Australia

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Booking.com AMOMA.com Expedia.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• penumbra's Profile Photo

Walkable from the central train station

I planned four nights, but had trouble with Qantas and the weather so only managed to stay here for one night. Staff were very accomodating about my ever changing reservation on short notice. Located in a quiet, safe district, the restaurants and shopping are several blocks away. Its walkable from the central train station but hilly.

• Nice economy hotel

A very nice welcome on arrival and even though they were very busy, the front desk team were very polite and helpful. Rooms are normal hotel size and very clean and ours had a balcony and views across the city skyline.

Breakfast was a very pleasant buffet and very reasonable plus there are lots of cafes and restaurants around. A two minute walk buts you on Oxford Street and a five minute bus ride takes you to Paddington where the shopping is great. Heading the other way you can walk to the city and catch the Explorer bus that stops at all teh major attractions.

All in all, a nice 3 star property and great staff.

Unique Quality: The hotel has all you need including in-house restaurant and lovely pool area. Most rroms seem to have balconies and windows that open which we like in particular.

Directions: Inner city location about 15 minutes walk to the centre of Sydney or five minutes by public transport

More about Quality Hotel Cambridge

Heaps of fun!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member superstitious101

After a long flight from Poland we found ourselves in exciting Sydney. We are not frequent travelers so arriving at Sydney airport was one to remember. We had a reservation at Quality Hotel Cambridge in Surry Hills and had directions from the reservation staff at the hotel before leaving Poland.

We arrived at the hotel with no fuss. Surprising how easy it was to catch an airport transfer in Sydney. Accommodation was in the hotels standard room which was explained it had undergone some refurbishments. We stayed on 6th floor which is nice because my partner and I enjoyed the views. Very different to Poland. We could see the whole city and of night time it all lights up before your eyes. Very impressive city!

Staying for only 10 days means we had lots to do in little time. So we visited reception for directions to Circular Quay and Darling Harbour. I didn’t know that they were in to different places. The receptionist explained that she would book a taxi to Circular Quay and there is a rocket fairy that we can catch to Darling Harbour that goes on the Harbour under the Harbour Bridge to Darling Harbour. I am so glad that the reception knows because we didn’t have a tour guide to show us. She marked details on a map and we went off for the day. Very Helpful she was.

I like the lifts and the feel the hotel had offered. Very modern and stylish feel. The lifts are unique inside and I was told these are new lifts and the ones before were wearing thin. I told the reception that I don’t know why people winged about your lifts on Tripadviser because we had no trouble. Maybe these people experienced the old lifts.

Going to a city and a hotel that you don’t know much about is very scary but with our relaxing comfortable stay at Quality Hotel Cambridge in Sydney I would recommend anyone give it a try. We did read other comments on Tripadviser before we come to Sydney and this worried us because of some unpleasant remarks. But my partner and I experienced nothing but complete satisfaction. A gentleman at the hotel introduced himself as the Duty Manager but I can’t remember his name. My partner and I raved to him that we would be back!

While we were in Sydney I got in touch with some old friends that come to Sydney about 20 year ago and this was fun. We plan to come back more often to visit our friends in Sydney and will stay again with Quality Hotel Cambridge.

Very Happy with our experience at the hotel.

Great Loacation and value for money

by TripAdvisor Member PeopleLondon

Well what can we say except, we read the reviews of this hotel witch our agent in Kensington booked. Do not know what people are looking for, as we read the reviews and asked our agent to book another hotel in Sydney. The agent assured us that they had stopped at the hotel recently, and that the hotel was great. We stopped at many hotels, while in Australia, and as they kept telling us we were winging POMs, as we did quite a lot of complaining; however our stay at the Quality Hotel Cambridge was excellent. Staff well trained and very well versed with the city and its attractions. The Hotel was extremely clean, neat and tidy. We quizzed reception about the other comments we had read on trip adviser and were shown other rooms on higher floors that have new furniture that is the same as our room which was on the lower floors. We have to agree about those slow lifts; however we did notice signs and work taking place to replace all the lifts which was happening while we were there. Being an older couple my wife and I were a little worried about the area after reading the reviews, but found the area extremely colorful with many restaurants and close to all of the attractions. I am very glad we took the advice of our travel agent as this was one of the highlights of our trip.

Stay Away

by TripAdvisor Member msMelburnian

Where to begin? I e-mailed the hotel on 4 separate occassions over a 7 day period enquiring about availability before they were able to get back to me (their website was undergoing an upgrade and their rates/availability status constantly changing). I was then quoted a price that was $25 per day higher than that which their own website was quoting. Hmmm. At this stage, due to the delay I had had to make alternative arrangements for the bulk of my visit to Sydney. Fortunately I only stayed at the Cambridge for 2 nights (at $165 per night) when all was said and done.

I can only described my room - # 302 - as grotty. The "one bedroomm suite" had walls that were heavily marked, the furniture was dirty (& someone had kindly grafittied the table lamp with their name in blue ink). One dead (small) cockroach. The bathroom was particularly unpleasant; with mould, cracked and damaged surfaces, badly water damaged floors & door. The toilet was leaking and had some very signifcant mould/water damage at it's base. It smelt very strongly of mould and overall the ventilation of the bathroom was poor. It was quite apparent that the hotel had painted over the wall tiles & grout with tile paint rather than replacing the tiles and subsequently mould had started to return in the areas around the bath and shower recess.

The lights in the bathroom were 'energy savers' set into a false ceiling and the light provided was very dim. The globes were also covered in heavy dust which wasn't helping. In addition anyone taller than 6'3" would struggle not to hit their head on the false ceiling over the shower recess. The shower head (not height adjustable) was set very low...good for reaching your armpits but not your head (I had to bend my knees to wet my head and I'm well under 6 feet tall).

Queen bed was relatively comfortable but linen had some marks/stains on it. Balcony was approximately 1metre long by 80cm wide and housed the air-con split system motor. No chair was provided. View of apartment building and lane next door.
Windows would benefit from double glazing as the area was quite noisy (hotel has an on-site bar) especially when including the noise from the motors of all the air-conditioners. Air con was effective (2 units in the room).

The Cambridge say they care about the environment in their blurb but all the fittings including toilet (single flush) & taps in my room were water guzzlers. Pretty unforgivable considering Australia's - and Sydney's - water restrictions. The hotels blurb also claims 4.5 star status which I find laughable. Sure, if you want room service at 3am! Some of us just want clean and fresh smelling rooms.

great location and nice little hotel

by TripAdvisor Member hpytrav

honestly its a great small hotel in the vicnity of Sydney CBD. we did not knew where Surry Hills was, but seriously its a great location especially if you are in dey for holidaying.Sydney CBD is only about 10 minutes walking and darling harbour about 15. the walk itself is great as you get to see and absorb sydney on the way.
from the moment we walked in to the hotel we were well received by very informative staff. the hotel looked modern and new age. they seemed very helpful and explained about the normal routine and as well as the area around us.
even earlier when we made over their website which does resemble the hotel i found it easy, maybe we are just used to the internet. we rang he hotel to get more info about the hotel as this was our first trip to sydney. the reservation staff were more than helpful in assisting our queries.
When you see not so good reviews of the hotel you have doubts and dilemna especialy when you have been recommended with the one. it was the same case for us but we did went with our gut feeling and took a chance and i am glad we did it;
it is a good value for money consideiring other rates other sydney hotel charges.
we booked a standard room and was given a room on the 4th floor and we were happy with the room.actually we were complimentart upgraded to a bedroom suite overlooking the main street, which was a nice touch. the view is really nice especially at night when you Sydney skyline at the back drop.
we had a quite drink in the little bar where the bartender was really lovely and made us feel comfortable.
with our 3 days stay at the hotel we were overall very satisfied with the service the rooms etc. however one lift was down one afternoon for about couple of hours but they do have 3 lifts in total but a little wait was required.
would definately recommend the hotel for its location price friendliness and general cleanliness of the hotel.

A nice hotel in a convenient part of Sydney

by TripAdvisor Member Hatt-away

We stayed here for 3 nights at the very end of our travels. The room was included as a part of our flight package and I was concerned that the room wouldn't be great. However we were given a twin room on the 4th floor. It was a little on the small side but clean and had a good sized fridge and a tv, the beds were also very comfortable. The bathroom was small but had a little bath and over-bath shower. The facilities in the hotel are excellent and include a small swimming pool and sauna. There is also laundry facilites, which can be useful on a long trip. The reception staff were very friendly and knowledgeable about the city.

We didn't eat in the hotel as it's location is perfect for eating out and there are several good cafes, pubs and restaurants within a short walking distance.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member Suzibanter

The hotel was refurbished last year and was excellent value as a tourist hotel. I stayed for 10 nights and was glad of the spacious facilities. My room had kitchen facilites, large bathroom, dining table and a large lounge area. A great balcony with views over Sydney (I was on the 9th floor)
The staff didn't take long to get to recognise me and for a large hotel I was made to feel very welcome. The dining and bar services were excellent (eggs always cooked perfectly to order) and room service quick. The front desk were helpful and accommodating. The public areas were always clean and well kept. I didn't use it but the hotel pool looked inviting.
It was convientently located for all the shopping areas and only a 15 minute walk from the Botanical Gardens.

not impressed with service

by TripAdvisor Member oroton07

NOT IMPRESSED. ordered a one bedroom suite. gave me a twin room. WHAT THE HELL? i wanted what i paid for. aparently the room i wanted 'wasnt available' or 'didnt exist'. i dont know, the woman (assistant magager by the way) keep going round in circles giving me the same infonfor 20 mins and her english was below undestandable. in the end i said i had better things to do and was already late for an appointment so i stormed off; -it didnt help that check in was at 2, i arrived at 3 and had to WAIT for my room to be ready. deffinately not impressed.
i told them i wasnt paying for parking in the morning due to their stuff up- they didnt even offer me any consultation!- but as if you would pay for their parking anyway, it is so unbelivably steep and two-ways? pfft can hardly fit my SMALL car in the lane.
if i had gotten what i paid for, and the staff actually KNEW what they were doing my experience may have been a whole lot better..wouldn't stay here again unless you paid me.

Great hotel for the Mardi Gras

by TripAdvisor Member davidb71

I stayed here for 9 nights during Mardi Gras and I loved this hotel. For the gay traveller, it is perfect-you are a block away from Oxford Street and all the hustle and bustle of the nightlife. I would not suggest it for families that do not want to be exposed to the gay nightlife-the bar the Midnight Shift is literally around the corner on Oxford and Riley. My room was a nice size, I had a balcony, the bed was comfortable and the staff was very friendly. One day I slept in after a long night and the maid left a bag with fresh towels and new bottles of shampoo and soap on my door so as not to disturb me. I disagree with other reviewers that said the hotel is not close to other attractions. Circular Quay, the Opera House, the Botanic Gardens and Darling Harbor were about 20 minutes away if you walked. I had a travel pass good for 5 days and I only used it for 2 days-I walked everywhere. Here is a little tip-about two blocks down the street on Riley (cross Oxford) there is a block of little boutique restaurants that were moderately priced and delicious. Most were also BYOB and did not charge a corkage fee. Overall, this hotel was a pleasant surprise and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Perfect location for Oxford Street Area

by TripAdvisor Member Kerte

We were 3 staying here for Mardi Gras period from Feb28-Mar 4 in 2 rooms, 1 Bedroom-suite + 1 Standard room, both roomy enough for the 5 night stays.
+We did enjoy the refurbished parts/rooms of hotel and really enyjoy the very comfortable beds in rooms.
+We enjoyed the perfect location for purpose and for easy access to city-centre, only 15-20min walk-no prob as city-tourists.
+Enjoyed the "happy-hour" breakfasts a couple of morning for 50% discount 1st and last hours of breakfast...why no signs for this in hotel?
We found this out by accident...but enjoyed the 50% discount, now only 9$ for full warm breakfast instead of 18, good value now, 18=overpriced for what you get,! Not the best of breakfasts but well worth the 9$.
+Friendly housekeeping staff keeping our rooms tidy and clean.
+Nice enough viewa of city from upper floors.

-We were not overwhelmed by Front Desk Staff, not that welcoming nor that trained or informed about house and service provided.
-Rooms need doubleglazed-windows, very noisy from traffic, specially on lower floors, ask for rooms higher up
-Lift-problems, looong waiting for them. 1 of 3 elevators were broke for most of our stay, creating the waiting for lifts somewhat annoying.

Comments