98 Gloucester St, The Rocks, Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Quay West Suites Sydney

Amazing! What a view!

by TripAdvisor Member cutekoala

This is an amazing hotel with good facilities and right in the centre of the Rocks Area of Sydney. The view from our room was priceless, with the sydney harbour bridge and the opera house. We only ate breakfast in the hotel but that was to a very good standard with our children eating free everyday. The pool, gym and sauna on the 19th floor was very clean and modern. Overall I would recommend Quay West Suites to anyone as it has a priceless view from the room and has excellant food and facilities.

"Average"

by TripAdvisor Member peteandsue.turner

Have just returned from a trip to Australia/Bali via Bangkok and having stayed in top class establishments we were looking forward to our 5 nts at the Quay West Suites. The reviews on this site,apart from one honest person were good. What a huge disappointment. This apartment can be best summed
up as clean and functional and may suit some families.
The kitchen area is outdated with equipment at least 10 years old
and is in good condition because it's hardly been used.
The whole apartment could have done with a complete refurbishment. .
The only positive was the view especially at night.

WHAT A VIEW!!

by TripAdvisor Member XIB

Just found this site so writing my first review. The Quay West, Sydney is wonderful. We were in a two bedroom "unit" as they call them over there with a sofa bed in the lounge. We were on the top floor and the view was spectacular, overlooking the bridge and the Opera House.

The units are well equiped and we had one ensuite bathroom and a house bathroom, beautifully clean and tidy and the beds very comfortable. The kitchen was well equipped and spotlessly clean and there was a utility room with washer/drier. We also had room service most nights as we were exhausted from our sightseeing during the day. The food was good but not great but was delivered quickly, was hot and reasonably priced. With a view like that who would want to go out again!!

They do drinks and nibbles in the bar around 5 which were great and the staff were delightful.

The pool on the rooftop is incredible and you feel like you're swimming in the harbour!! Apparently it's one of the most photographed pools in the world. We were served champagne while enjoying the jacuzzi. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

Wonderful experience and would definitely go again and recommend to anyone visiting Sydney.

Very disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member axlejack

We stayed at this hotel over Easter and had high expectations because of its cost and advertised features.
When we had booked we were not told that this '5 star' establishment would effectively be non-functional due to the Easter weekend - the restaurant was closed ( and a 15% surcharge added to room service because of the holiday!), the bar was closed, the spa and sauna were out of order and unable to be fixed because it was a holiday weekend, much of the gym equipment was broken and only one lift appeared to be working.
The rooms were average but smelt of cigarette smoke.
Yes the view is good, but with no balcony there is a sense of distance and detachment to it and, having stayed previously in a hotel with a balcony, would strongly recommend - if you can afford the sort of price you're paying at Quay West anyway - go to a hotel with the view AND the balcony !
The majority of staff there were polite. But when we tried talking to the management they were surly and argumentative, particularly when we suggested at check-out that a rate reduction would be appropriate.
We took the step of writing to the CEO of Mirvac Hotels after our stay and received a reply from the hotel manager, offering us - wait for it - a complimentary night's stay at Quay West, Sydney. Apart from the unlikelihood of us getting to Sydney again in the remotely near future, it is only in our nightmares that we would stay at this hotel again.

Great in (almost) all respects

by TripAdvisor Member Elliott06

Our family of 5 ( children are 16,14 and 11) just returned from a 3 week vacation to Australia. When in Sydney (total of 6 nights) we stayed at Quay West Suites.

With one exception, we could not have been happier with our choice. Quay West is ideally suited for almost all activities. It is in the Rocks, about a five minute walk to Circular Quay and a relatively easy walk to both the CBD and Darling Harbour. Our two bedroom suite overlooked the harbour with a great view of the opera house, the bridge and circular quay. The facilities in the suite and the hotel were first rate and the employees were both friendly and helpful. You know it is in a good location when on one side is the Shangri La hotel and on the other is the Four Seasons!

Quay West provided good value for us, especially considering our alternative, when travelling with 3 children, was to book two hotel rooms. The suite, with full kitchen and laundry facilities, was far better suited to our needs than a hotel room.

When checking in we were offered the chance to sign up for a discounted buffet breakfast---and this was the only negative we found about quay west. Breakfast was mediocre at best and was still expensive for the five of us. There are so many other choices in the area, especially in the Rocks, that provide a good breakfast for great value, that I would not sign up for the quay west breakfasts again.

Overall we very much enjoyed Quay West, would not hesitate to go back and would highly recommend to others, especially those travelling in groups of four or more.

Basic room -great view

by TripAdvisor Member Happyhubby&Daddy

If you want a view and a comfortable room, this is the hotel for you. I found myself staring out the window watching the ferries below. The bar does offer a nice selection of drinks and nibbles in a quiet atmosphere. The breakfast was fairly decent, but included in the price. The washer/dryer was a great surprise!
You cannot beat the location. Wonderful resturants 5-10 minute walk. If you have a morning or afternoon, I strongly recommend the Sydney Harbor Bridge walk. It is around $200 US but a memory I will never forget. The whole walk takes about 4 hours!
I would stay here again as the the FS and the Hyatt are just too much $$$.

What a view!

by TripAdvisor Member zukki

We stayed here for 6 nights at the end of our Honeymoon last month. We got a good deal which included parking & breakfast for the full duration of our stay and it was much cheaper than the ShangriLa etc. The view from our suite was just to die for! Sydney Harbour bridge on the left and the Opera House on the right - what more could you ask for! The suite itself was very spacious and comfortable. We ordered room service on a few occasions and each time it arrived very promptly and was tasty. I have to disagree with previous reviews of the conscierge in this hotel as we found all the staff extremely friendly and more than helpful. I do agree with the slightly dodgy tumble drier and very poor shower pressure but they were minor annoyances compared to our overall stay.

The View is its saving grace

by TripAdvisor Member lemonde88

i stayed here 4 times in my trip to Australia. 3 of these trips kept me wandering why I was in this hotel in the first place and the last answered it. I spent the 1st 3 trips in a room facing onto the four seasons hotel, a monument to bad design and an ever present figure in the room. The furnishings in no way made up for the lack of the view but they were functional and comfortable, while being very forgettable and not what you would necessarily expect in a hotel this expensive. The pool too was not as amazing as other reviews suggest: although the view was good, it could not be seen while in the pool which incidentally was extremely cold. On my final visit I was upgraded to a room overlooking the harbour (2105) which frankly took my breath away. In fact I was glad for the lack of fancy furniture as it would only have taken my attention off one of the most famous views in the world.

Never tired of the view!

by TripAdvisor Member traveldon

We had a one bedroom apartment with a harbour view and had a fantastic 10 day stay. Both bedroom and living area had balconies and the view from each was awesome! Very comfortable apartments with much more space than you would have in a hotel room. The kitchen area with washing machine etc allows self catering if you want, but you still have hotel reception/concierge services when needed and daily maid service. We got a good deal booking through an Australian website.

The low presure shower was our only niggle in the apartment. Would also agree that the breakfast voucher deal is not worth it - we arrived early morning and had breakfast while waiting to check in - it was disappointing. Would strongly recommend breakfast in the Brew Cafe round the corner, but it wasn't open weekends.

All in all, a really memorable stay and we'd love to go back

What a View !!!

by TripAdvisor Member Escrondon

My wife,child(3 years) & I stayed at Quay West for six nights
during september 2006.We had a harbour veiw room and it
was great. The room was clean and tidy,and was much larger
than a hotel room.The view was fantastic & the location was
within walking distance of everything we wanted to do.We used
the ferry system for any travel to far to walk so we saved on car
hire.
Danielle (our daughter) loved the pool & swam morning and
night. The pool & spa area was always clean & tidy.
Quay West staff looked after us well & went out of their way to
make Danielle happy.
We would stay at Quay West again when in Sydney.
(especially with children)

Walking up to the pubWalking up to the pub

The famous Opera HouseThe famous Opera House

Provencal MusselsProvencal Mussels

tons of stuffed Koalastons of stuffed Koalas

View of Harbour

by lovinoz

We are staying in Sydney for one night in November just before starting our big RTW trip ... and thinking about getting a room with a view of Sydney Harbour ... maybe in the circular quay area. Which hotel is best in your humble opinion? Considering the Intercontinental and the Quay West Suites at the moment. Any feedback on that idea?

Thanks and happy travels to all! :)

by GoodayMate

Either would be great. The Park Hyatt ( a movie star favourite) and Four Seasons are also have terrific locations, but are expensive.

by dwarbi

As people have mentioned in previous posts - "view of the harbour" does not necessarily mean a view of the opera house, harbour bridge or circular quay. I can't recommend any specific hotels but when you finally book you may want to find out exactly what kind of view you will have.

by colin_bramso

With only one night, I'd book a Harbour View room for sure. It's a good point about the actual view - make sure when you book that you will be getting Opera House views, and have it in writing.

by Mikebb

Hi, We stayed at the Blues Point Tower at Lavender Bay opposite the city close to Luna Park site. Top vies including Bridge, Opera House and Harbour Traffic.
Do a Google Search.
Good Luck, Mikebb

by keremas

We got a cheap deal on wotif.com a couple of years back at the Quay West Suites and that had a fantastic harbour view. But in saying that, not all their rooms would have harbour views (we were lucky - it must have been low season) , so I'd specify that when booking. I haven't stayed at the Intercontinental so I can't compare the 2.

by TwinkleOz

I've stayed at the Four Seasons in a harbour view room and I highly recommend it. I also think the Shangri La is a good hotel with great harbour views.

Comments