Rydges World Square Sydney

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

389 Pitt Street, (formerly Avillion Hotel), Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia

Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

A disappointing first visit to Sydney

We stayed at the Rydges for our business visit to Sydney and it was a poor choice. For the price and the represented classification, the hotel was tired and dated. As a priority member I had to repeatedly remind the staff that I was supposed to get a discounted rate on the internet access. I know it's customary, but it just aggravates me to no end that the higher priced hotels charge such outrageous rates for internet access, while the cheaper hotels and motels manage to provide it for free!

The biggest issue I had with Rydges was that the service was so lackadasical. The onsite restaurant and bar were expensive and the quality so-so. Service was far less than so-so.

Definitely will not stay on future trips.

Unique Quality: The location wasn't bad, a short walk to Darling Harbor and adjacent to the railway.

• dgines's Profile Photo

Centrally Located

We had a great stay at the Rydges Wolrd Square in Sydney. The room was very clean and the service was excellent.

Unique Quality: Make sure you join the Rydges club when you make a reservation. You will gain access to the breakfast and evening meals in the executive lounge of the hotel. The food was great and you can get free wine and beer in the evenings.

• UKDaisy's Profile Photo

Seems like a good hotel

I personally didn't stay at this hotel, as I had read some bad reviews on this hotel, but some of my friends did. When I went to visit them at this hotel, it seemed like a nice hotel, rooms were big and clean, and nothing like the bad reviews that I had read. The location of the hotel is good, being in the city centre within walking distance of many of the tourist sights, and handy to have a shopping centre and supermarket (Coles) downstairs of the hotel.

Directions: Corner of Pitt and Liverpool Street

More about Rydges World Square Sydney

Excellent week at the Rydges Sydney World Square

by TripAdvisor Member CarlosPerth

A few hectic months have passed since my relocation interstate but I would like to take this oppurtinity to thank the Rydges Sydney World Square for a fantastic week before my move from Sydney.
My room was clean and comfortable, the staff were extremely friendly and helpfull and the hotel is in a great location in the Chinatown area close to great resteraunts and bars.
I am returning to Sydney in December for a visit and had no hesitation booking the Rydges World Square again.

Absolutely Fantastic - finally have found our Sydney Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CanberraTravelBug

We stayed at Rydges World Square for one night during a quick trip to Sydney. It was fantastic, and I think we've finally found a Sydney hotel for our regular stays.

Check in was smooth and friendly, the room spotless and quiet, the bed heaven, the bath products really nice, and best of all the location is fabulous - right in the World Square shopping area in Chinatown. It's a short stroll to the best yum cha in Australia.

I'm a hyper fussy customer, and can't recommend this enough.

Failed to impress

by TripAdvisor Member FrequentFlyers2007

After staying at the Amora Hotel in the past, we thought it would be great to deviate from our norm and try a mystery hotel which was advertised as 5 stars. We secured a booking and were informed that we would be staying at Rydges World Square.

Following this, we conducted our research on the hotel with TripAdvisor and was shocked by the number of negative feedback previous guests have left. This immediately sent warning bells to us to cancel the booking. However, after sending an email and receiving a telephone call from a representative from Rydges we decided to give the hotel a chance (in which we somewhat regret now). We further found some comfort with the promises provided by the management responses on TripAdvisor.

Upon arrival at the hotel at 8am, we were greeted by a receptionist who appeared very unenthusiastic (body language & tone). Our questions regarding Frequent Flyers at Rydges were met with a half-hearted reply and without an explanation or an elaboration as to why frequent flyers was not accepted at this Rydges. After advising us that the room was not ready, she told us that we can leave our luggage at the concierge. Being first time guests, it would have been extremely helpful if the receptionists elaborated as to where the concierge was located.

While waiting for a room to be assigned to us at the lobby, we utilised the toilets at the lobby. The impression and image of the lobby toilets will be forever ingrained in our minds. The waste bin was overflowing with paper towels and toilet papers were littered around the floor. This alarmed us as it suggested that Rydges (advertised as a 5 star hotel) had no commitment to cleanliness. We have attached some photos of what we were confronted with and you can preview them to see if you come to the same conclusion.

After being assigned to our room at 2pm, we found the King room was adequate to our needs however it is unlikely that the room would fall under 5 stars. The room was simple and similar to the photos posted on their website and on TripAdvisor. When we entered the room, we were quite disappointed as the room smelled of bleach. Although a minor matter, we were also not provided with complimentary slippers.

Furthermore, we felt let down by the management response in July 2007 on TripAdvisor regarding the implementations of new flat screen TVs in all rooms – it seems that this is still not completed after 3 months. The room was still equipped with the ‘old style’ TV set with a remote that was falling apart which also failed to function sometimes.

Early in the morning, there was a loud constant drilling noise which kept waking us up throughout our time at Rydges. On two of the nights, there was also a loud noise (still audible when the TV was on) which we thought was coming from a plane that was flying past. After further investigations into the sound, we realised that the noise was coming from the wind. If your requirements are like ours and you require a room that is quiet, Rydges World Square may not be a suitable hotel for you.

Having said all that, the hotel is situated close to the monorail and the train station. From here, you can easily get to the airport, chinatown, darling harbour or the opera house. We found the concierge to be friendly. They organised for our newspaper to be delivered to our room every morning and this was carried out efficiently.

Fabulous Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member advocate_of_truth

I recently stayed at this hotel with absolute apprehension after reading the bad reviews about this hotel. I was expecting the worse when I chose to stay as at this hotel as part as a mystery deal.

To my surprise I had a great stay. The hotel staff were very polite and accomodated all my needs. Their staff were friendly and courteous.

I stayed on the 16th floor. The room I stayed in was so gorgeous. The twin double beds were so plush and comfortable. The room was clean and presentable. A lot more nicer than I had imagined.

The beds were amazing, I had wished I didn't have to leave. The room was so quiet and comfortable. I didn't even hear any noise to the point that I slept into 11am.

I actually rate this hotel higher than many other 5 star hotels such as the Amora Jamieson.

Joining The Rydges Priority Guest club was awesome as I had a late check out of 1pm.

My only complaint was that for some reason our door keys didn't work when we returned from breakfast, but the staff member quickly rectified this problem.

Overall I had a great stay and I hope to return soon.

Definitely not a 5 star, more like 2 star

by TripAdvisor Member BCAdelaide

There are a lot of good hotels in Sydney, this is not one of them.

- Shower only boiling hot water, mixer broken.
- Toilet wouldn't flush, had to get in maintenance for this one.
- Minibar had nothing in it.
- Poor lighting.
- Messed up booking, and it was the hotel, no-one else. They were phoned to confirm and still messed it up.
- food - average.
- poor service (too many incidents to list) from reception to housekeeping.

Beware - stay away. As I said above, there are a lot of good hotels in Sydney, so stay somewhere else.

Whoever gives out the stars really need to take a good look at this hotel as it is nowhere near a 5 start hotel.

Great value Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Rikkimca

Was a bit worried about my booking this hotel after I read some reviews here, however we must be staying in a different hotel because I found this hotel more than adequate and at the price I paid (AU$150 - mystery hotel, Lastminute.com) was a bargain.
Have nothing negative to say about my stay apart from 1 thing only - they really need to have more choices of tv channels from Foxtel and some info in the hotel room information booklet about the Tv channels available; especially helpful for overseas visitors who aren't familiar with our stations.
However, all in all a pleasant stay in a decent room and a comfortable bed and pillows (which are No1 in importance for me).
The room was well kept and well cleaned, as was the bathroom.

Not A 5 Star Experience

by TripAdvisor Member PJ26Sydney

The room was adequate but nothing special, I read an article from about a year earlier saying the rooms were in the process of being upgraded with LCD TV etc however it seems to still be a work in progress. I came to the hotel expecting a 5 star establishment but it is FAR from what most would expect from a 5 star hotel.
The breakfast was abyssmal, cold eggs and constantly short on most things.
When I went to get my "hot" meal the Bacon, Hash Browns, Baked Beans had all run out. When my wife went up they had run out of Bread, Eggs and Sausages. However that didnt really matter because they had also run out of plates so even if they had the food she had nothing to eat it off.
My wife had to ask 3 times for a coffee and it finally arrived 20 minutes after ordering. (But it did give time to wait for the other food to be replenished).
And to top off a memorable morning some smart staff member topped up the juices the wrong way so we ended up with one juice quater orange and three quater pineapple and the other quarter pineapple and three quarter orange. Not a nice mix.
After our terrble breakfast it was check out time. We then handed our valet parking ticket to the desk we were told it would be about 5 minutes and waited by the street for our car.
30 minutes later the car hadn't arrived I went inside to enquire, I was then asked "Are these your keys." Yes i responded.
I was then asked to present the receipt for where I had paid, which i did.
I was then told OK i have found the payment on the system now, i couldnt see it before.
I then asked "We have been standing just out that door for over half an hour, why couldn't someone have let me know in the last half hour that I was waiting for no reason and you couldn't find the payment." I received no response.

Overall the things that were bad were not extremely major (although the valet did make us late where we were going)
However to claim this is a 5 star hotel is VERY misleading.

Cheapest way from Airport to CBD

by orchiditalia

Just wondering if anyone can advise the cheapest method (for 2 people with luggage) to get from the airport to CDB - We're staying at the rydges world square.

Best I've found so far is:

Hi

Here is a website giving you various options:

The Airport Express is very good, and relaible too.
The Shuttle Bus is also ok- but stops at many places, and could take longer.

Hi

I forgot to mention- there is a train to Central Station from the airport. However, its not cheap, and once at Central Station, you would have to get a taxi anyway to Rydges. So- the bus is a better option, in my opinion.

by Kakapo2

I have stayed at another hotel at World Square. The next train stop of the airport train is Museum. This is only two blocks from World Square and an easy walk - if you do not travel with three big suitcases ;-))

by lynnehamman

My apologies, Sissy- I did not know about the Museum stop.
However- they presumably will have luggage.
I guess the choice is there for them to make now.

by Kakapo2

Sure. No problem :-)

I had one big suitcase and hand luggage, and it was really easy to walk to the Museum station. Probably not so much fun in case of rain - but most ist under arcades, just one street crossing to get under ground.

The good thing about the train is that it (normally) is on time, independent from traffic flows.

Comments