Schoolhouse Backpackers

107 - 109 Darlinghurst Rd, Kings Cross, Sydney, 2011, Australia

More about Sydney

California RollsCalifornia Rolls

Chris and I having a fun time (2010)Chris and I having a fun time (2010)

Waiting for some Thai from ThyWaiting for some Thai from Thy

Sue and I in the Capitol Theatre foyerSue and I in the Capitol Theatre foyer

Concession fares for a Sydney TravelPass?

by wanderingbtrfly

I feel a little silly, but what is the difference between a weekly concession TravelPass and just a regular weekly TravelPass in Sydney? They are significantly cheaper, but I can't seem to figure out why.

I'm looking at the bottom of this page: http://www.cityrail.info/tickets/commuter/travelpass

by wanderingbtrfly

Never mind - just found it!

by Purpleshade

I expect you have just realised that 'concession' refers to children and those on pensions.

by pedroswift

& Senior Card holders

& interstate seniors card holders too

& interstate seniors card holders too

by RKyle

What about Foreign Seniors?

by sirgaw

We have lots of foreign seniors in Australia - LOL. Officially no you can't use an overseas seniors card in Oz, but can I suggest you just ask where ever you are going and if they give you a discount, then you are in front. Like when we were in Europe I suppose I got the discount between a third and a half of the time. One place they thought I didnt look old enough, so I took off my hat and a cascade of gray hair flopped down. With a laugh I got the discount.

Travel Tips for Sydney

The Sydney Opera House

by Canadienne

The Sydney Opera House is recognizable around the world. . .and everyone seems to have an opinion about its attractiveness (or lack thereof). I was surprised by how much I liked the look of it ~ it radiates in the daylight. . .and creates some striking shadows on the water as the sun rises and sets.

The design and construction of the Opera House were troubled ~ it's worth taking a guided tour to get the insider's history and view of the process.

St Mary Cathderal

by Audrey118

Around the area of Macquarie and College Street in Sydney, there are one too many sandstones buildings. Here u have the museums, galleries, even a very old established Sydney Grammjar school (hence the name College St)/ Here lies also the St Mary's Cathedral which was built in 1865 on the site of the first Catholic Chapel in Australia.

It is neo Gothic style is constructed from local sandstone. The church looks refreshed with the spires at the front of the Cathedral completed in 2000.
The Cathedral has 3 arched openings along it's length. The high arches of main arcade, gallery openings of the triforium and the windows of the clerestory.

Lots of people come here for the wedding shots!!! - no not for the mass!!!

Take a ferry or Harbour Cruise...

by SydneyGal

Take a ferry or Harbour Cruise around the Sydney Harbour. Start at Circular Quay and catch a ferry or cruise to Mosman, Manly or Watsons Bay. Beautiful. From the boat, you'll be able to see some of Sydney's most beautiful homes as well. If you only have one day in Sydney, and it is a sunny day, this is what you should do.
More info: Ferries: http://www.sydneybuses.nsw.gov.au/sb.ferrymap01.html ,Harbour Cruises: http://www.captcookcrus.com.au/sydney/index.html

Tipping

by SmilingTraveller

These days, tipping is expected in most restaurants in Sydney. As a rule leave 10%, but if you really did have bad service and bad food, forget the tip.

There are still some people around who think that because waiters are often paid relatively well that a tip is not necessary, but it doesn't hurt to give a "bonus" when you have had an enjoyable experience.

It's also easier to round up the taxi fare for a taxi driver to the nearest $1.00 or add a couple of dollars extra, but if the driver gives you the run around and "pretends" he doesn't know the quickest route or gets lost - do not pay a cent more than you have to!

I also find that it is appreciated when you give the hairdresser a couple of extra dollars for a good haircut.

My Guide Book and Travel Journal

by Gypsystravels

I love the DK travel books and they are the guides I use because I am such a visual person and they provide beautiful pictures with great maps, history and pertinent information, like opening hours, price, etc. I will buy my guide a few months before and read it from cover to cover and familiarize myself with the history and the places to visit. I like to map out a "rough" itinerary with places of interest to me and I will mark my guide with stickies for further reference it I need it.

I also carry a journal with me to keep my thoughts and impressions fresh and to list information that pertains to the location I am visiting.

Comments