Shangri-La Hotel Sydney

176 Cumberland Street, The Rocks, (formerly the Ana Hotel), Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia

Travelocity Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• CraigT's Profile Photo

Great Location - Beautiful Views

We spent a week at the Shangri-La Hotel and enjoyed our accomodations and location. Located just a short walk from Circular Quay it's easy to access the rest of Sydney's venues. From our room we had a view of the Opera House and the harbor activity. Other rooms have views of the bridge and other water views. We especially appreciated the closeness to The Rocks area where we enjoyed the weekend markets and the older style architecture. The Opera house is a short walk as well and we took in a play plus the tour. Around the nearby Circular Quay are numerous shops and restaurants. From souvenir shops to fine apparel, this location took care of the shoppers in our group. A short jaunt away from the Circular Quay area puts you in downtown Sydney with its fine dining and shopping. We walked everywhere, even over to Darling Harbor where we took in the Aquarium. If you like modern city architecture along with a flavor of the old city, this is the place to be. The rooms were comfortable and well appointed. While it was very expensive to eat at the hotel we were privileged to have breakfast included in our tour package. We did our dining in the area. You can grab a quick lunch time bite along the Circular Quay or there is a nice little burger stand just a few blocks away in the Rocks. Don't forget to checkout the dinner experience on the tallship, the Swan. That was a special evening event.

Unique Quality: Conveniently located to the Circular Quay for area transportation by ferry, the Opera House, the Rocks area of historical Sydney and a short walk to downtown Sydney.

• Great Location, Great View

I was in Sydney on business for a quick four day trip with no extra time to explore. The Shangri-La was in a perfect location with a perfect view of the opera house and the bridge. Each morning I ran out to walk along the harbor, grab some coffee, and get back to the hotel before my meetings started. Not an ideal trip but given I was on such a tight schedule it was the perfect location - with all the amenities that you would expect from this class of hotel.

• Fantastic Hotel!

The view is incredible and the people there are very very nice and accomodating! I got to even know the ladies in the cafe who knew my regular order by the 2nd or 3rd morning. They were fantastic!

I loved the spacious bathrooms with shower and tub. My room was checked and freshed up twice a day.

I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone.

Directions: Hotel is Near/In "The Rocks" District and is within walking distance to both the Sydney Harbor as well as Darling Harbour.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Shangri-La Hotel - 5 star with great views

On our latest visit to Sydney Alex arranged a surprise night at one of the city's 5 star hotels - the Shangri-La. The hotel is located in The Rocks area, just up the hill from the Regent Hotel. It used to be called the ANA hotel, and I had been there for drinks back in the old days, but never actually stayed there.

I was thrilled to be staying at this fancy hotel - what girl doesn't love staying in luxury for a night!

Unique Quality: We had lunch with my sister that day at Quay restaurant, and then afterwards the three of us wandered up to the Shangri-La (via a bottle shop). Alex had checked-in earlier that day, so we were able to scoot straight up and check out the room on the 16th floor. And what a room it was - there was a big bed and even bigger views out over the harbour. We pulled chairs up to the floor to ceiling windows and sat with a drink, watching the sunset - magic!

The room was spacious, with tasteful décor and a very comfy bed. The bathroom was also great - large, with plenty of towels.

Later in the evening after we kicked my sister out we popped upstairs to the bar on the top floor to further enjoy the views. Thanks Alex - but where are we staying next time?! ; )

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

One of the best.

One of Sydney's best hotels, true five stars in a great location.

Unique Quality: The rooms are a bit bigger than most, quality of the rooms is top-class, the bathrooms are amongst the best you'll find. Views from back and front of the hotel. Easy walking distance to Circular Quay and The Rocks, just a little further to the main shopping areas.

• The best place to see the harbour

I spent a couple of nights in this hotel, which is really clean and smart. Everything modern, the staff always helpful, and its definately worth the extra money to pay for a view of the harbour.

Unfortunately the positioning of the hotel isnt the best. If you are on the back you look at other buildings but on the front, especially if you can a corner suite you get huge windows showing off the whole harbour

Directions: Circular Quay
    Above The Rocks

• petdec's Profile Photo

Shangri-La, a fantasy kingdom

There are so many great Hotels and bed and breakfasts in Sydney.My partner and I quite often spoil ourselves by spending a couple of nights in one or other of them. The Shangri-La is not only good for its location, but the rooms are great as are the facilites.

Unique Quality: I love the suites, the views, and the Horizon Bar.

Directions: Near Circular Quay

• WoodyWoodpecker's Profile Photo

"Postcard like" Harbour View

The harbour view was my main reason for selecting the Shangri-La, or as it was previousely named, the ANA.

The view was even better than I expected. Great!
    From the Harbour bridge on one side - accross the whole harbour - and to the opera house on the other side.
    This is really spectacular and something to remember. What topped it was a clear night with the full moon over the harbour.

The hotel itself is fine. Rooms are large and clean. The atmosphere borders being a little sterile.

Nothing to complain about, all sights within easy walking distance.

Unique Quality: Just can't beat the view.

Directions: Close to the Rocks quarter with village - like shopping.

• jrjohnson's Profile Photo

First Class Hotel

This a top notch place.. the ANA is a well known chain and this is a very large hotel. Great location.

Unique Quality: The rooms were nice, we just had normal room with the opera house view... the pic with this tip is a view out of our room from the 32 floor. We did upgrade to use the Executive Suite, which was nice because it had unlimited Internet access, breakfast, and free drinks every night from 6-8. From the executive suite, we could watch the sunset, while enjoying pre-dinner cocktail, with an amazing view of both the Sydney Habour Bridge and the Opera House. This place is pricey, but if you're going in luxury, it's a great place.

Directions: In the Rocks... if you come into Cicular Quay like we did, I'd say take a cab up the hill if you have a lot of bags. We were sweating bullets.

• vandi's Profile Photo

The ANA Hotel

About $350 AUS a night for a harbour view.

Unique Quality: I have stayed in every hotel in the inner city and I have stayed at the ANA Hotel Sydney 5 times. I especially like the corner suites with full views of the Harbour Bridge, The Opera House and the city ! Large window seats, great restaurants and Horizons Bar by night is spectacular. In the best location, close to everything. I just love it. They have a web cam on their website.

• cwest03's Profile Photo

ANA Harbour Grand Hotel Sydney

ANA Harbour Grand Hotel Sydney
    Prices aren't too bad for those of us in the US, I paid about $100 USD for a very nice room.

Unique Quality: Right in the Rocks with almost every room having amazing views of the Opera House or the harbor. Within walking distance to most of the major attractions in Sydney.

Comments