Sheraton on the Park Hotel Sydney

Booking.com Sheraton.com Travelocity

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• LadyRVG's Profile Photo

Beautiful Room and Great Location

The Sheraton on the Park was the first of the two hotels we stayed at in Sydney. We travelled from the airport by train. The St. James Station was a short walk to the hotel. When we arrived for check in we were told we were upgraded to a Park View Room; a pleasant surprise indeed. Our room was not ready since it was still early in the morning but we were told it would be ready by noon. We decided to leave our bags and explore the city.

After we had done some exploring we returned to the hotel and were told that our room was ready and our bags were already there. The room was very nice and spacious. The view of Hyde Park was perfect…we were so high above the tree line. The bedroom was a nice size with a cozy bed and desk. The bathroom was larger than the bedroom and had every gadget and amenity a guest could want. The room was modernly decorated yet had a warm feel to it.

The location of this hotel was perfect for exploring the sights of Sydney. It was close to the train and bus stations and within walking distance to most attractions. I would definitely stay at this hotel again when visiting Sydney.

Unique Quality: The bathroom was the showpiece of this room. Two large wooden doors opened up into the bathroom. On the left, there was a large two person tub. It was perfect for a nice relaxing bubble bath after dinner on our first night in Sydney. One entire wall was a mirror with a sink and large counter top. On the right side was the toilet and a large steam show with floor to ceiling glass enclosure.

The radio and TV were connected to speakers that could be controlled in the bedroom and bathroom. So while soaking in the tub we were able to have some music playing in the background.

The staff at the hotel were very courteous and friendly which is always important to me.

• annk's Profile Photo

Across from Hyde Park

This hotel is centrally located (City Centre section of Sydney) and is just steps away from St. James train station. If you're a light traveler and arrive by air I'd recommend taking the train as it's very convenient and only 15 minutes from the airport. The hotel overlooks lovely Hyde Park.

The guestrooms are beautiful & large with marble bathrooms, a desk, and a closet with drawers and ample room to store suitcases.

Food in the restaurants is expensive but we splurged one day and had a lovely buffet breakfast for about $40/pp. There are less expensive restaurants and food courts very close by.

It's easy to walk to the major attractions and the Sydney Tower is right around the corner.

Unique Quality: ~ Large gym and beautiful indoor pool & jacuzzi that overlook the city.
    ~ Magnifying makeup mirrors which is a real plus for those of us that wear reading glasses.
    ~ David Jones Dept. store and Sydney Tower right around the corner.
    ~ Directly across the street from Hyde Park and St. James train station.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Semi Affordable SPG Stay

When we booked to come down here I was still in need of an SPG stay. So we booked into the Sheraton on the Park as I felt the “Park View upgrade at check-in” rate I got was the best of the three SPG hotels for that time period. Even though the needs changed before we arrived we stuck with it for the originally booked first two nights of the trip.

The location is right by the St James train station on Elizabeth Street right next to Hyde Park. This proved to be a very good location to start exploring each morning. As we were still adjusting to the time zone we would be awake at sun up and were able to go explore the park while the “attractions” of town were still closed.

Check in was very nice. The man helping us went to some extremes to find us the upgrade and also get us a room soon. As it turned out there was not a room ready unless we’d settle for a smoking room, which I will not do. So he called up housekeeping and asked them to clean the room he wanted to assign to us. They said it would be an hour or two and being that even at two hours would still be before noon we said we’d be back and left our bags. When we came back to check in after touring town the same man helped us and informed me that our bags had been delivered to the room for us. A nice touch.

Upon entering the room I must say I was quite pleasantly surprised. The room was very well appointed as you can see in the pics above and the bathroom was amazing. The door is on the left side of the room rectangle so the wall and closet are on the left and the bathroom on the right as you enter. Then flowing into the bed on the right as you walk straight in. I really liked the pictures and mirror behind the bed and the work area was sufficient. The TV had a rather wide range of channels for Australia and we were able to watch weather when we needed.

Unique Quality: And that brings us to the bathroom. This was one of the nicest I’ve seen in an SPG hotel. It is behind two pocket doors that put you in the center of the bathroom wall. Big two person tub on the left and stand up shower on the right. The entire wall in front of you is a mirror with only a single sink (minor downer) and counter in front of it and the toilet on the right. Then if you turn around at the sink and look back out the doors the far wall is again a mirror. This really makes it feel big and gives you a great feeling.

As much as I liked this hotel I will probably not use it again unless I am in town for only a night or can’t get a room at Simpson’s. Nothing against this hotel as I was very happy but just the way it is.

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo

$$$ The Sheraton $$$

Sheraton on the Park Hotel is located in the heart of Sydney adjacent to Hyde Park and a short walk to the major department stores, which is accessible through an undercover skywalk. All the attractions are just minutes away from the hotel.

All the 557 lavishly appointed guestrooms are generous in size, furnished and decorated with classic elegance. Some of these provide with views overlooking Hyde Park. Botanica Brasserie has a light relaxing atmosphere and serves Sydney's best buffet, which features seafood on the weekend.

More about Sheraton on the Park Hotel Sydney

Definitely not a 5 star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member diving4gold

The rooms are nice however the service is lacking to the nth degree. From the moment I checked in it seemed there were problems. Small room even though I supposedly had been upgraded. The valet parking was nothing short of a nightmare. I stayed there 6 days and I think that the staff lost my car on almost every single occassion. On one occasion I was late for a lunch date. I definitely would not recommend this hotel.

Okay, but not great

by TripAdvisor Member rado_traveler

We spent our last night of a 2 week trip to Australia here. The room was nice and clean. The park view room we booked was not that great of a view as we were on the 7th floor and could see more of the hotel's front entrance roofing than the park. A little expensive for what you get! Probably would stay at the Marriott Harbor or try the Park Hyatt instead the next time. This hotel was a little disappointed compared to other Starwood hotels we have stayed at.

A good 5 star hotel

After reading recent reviews i've become a little unsure about a return stay here, but i'm basing this review on my stay back in the Jan 05.

I found not fault with this hotel, the service was good (they let me check-in at 10am, with no questions). The room was clean and spacious with some nice gadgets (like remote blinds). It is also a good central location overlooking Hyde park and walking distance to most attractions i.e. Sydney opera house.

Fantastic Hotel, Great Staff, Terrific Location, 5* Take me back !!!

by TripAdvisor Member Tangokidd

I can't fault this hotel. We had a 2 week stay and loved every minute. Coming back to the hotel each day was a real pleasure because we knew we were going to be looked after by the staff, nothing was ever too much trouble.

The hotel is very grand inside, check in was quick and easy and with a smile. The room was a class act in itself. We booked a standard room but it was immaculate. A huge bed and a massive marble bathroom with a shower to die for. The room was large and very airy with everything you'd expect form a top quality hotel including a mini bar and safe. The room looked as if it had recently be re-decorated which was an added bonus. We even had a walk-in wardrobe and the remote blinds with the wooden shutters were adding to the wow factor. We didn't have a view but we didn't care, nor did we ask for one. We had more family staying in different rooms and their’s were of the same theme and just as grand.

The breakfasts were always first class, all staff were very happy to help. The buffet was well stocked and quickly replenished. The bar was quite expensive, but we still drank there as the seating area was comfortable and the service excellent. We only ate at the restaurant twice and both times were good in my opinion.

I simply cannot fault this hotel, it was fantastic and would defiantly stay there again. The hotel itself had a great location right on Hyde Park and bang on the shopping district. It was about a 10 Minute walk to Darling Harbour one way and about 15 minute walk to the Rocks, Bridge and Opera House the other way.

Would I stay here again? 110%, yes I would !

Major Dissapointment

This place has gone DOWNHILL. I had stayed here before about 5 years ago and thought I it would be nice to be back. NO! They have done the rooms in a more funky modern decoration rather than the luxury classic style they had before. Interestingly, this hotel USED to be a 'luxury collection' level sheraton and they have lost that status!!!! So only in the past couple years have they lost that status and that is a bad sign. Location is good, but there are so many other better hotels right nearby that are much, much better. Don't settle for this one... I'm not going back.

Been to Sydney 27 times, various hotels, this is the favorite

by TripAdvisor Member GreginSantaBarbara

What makes this hotel special? The teamwork in service. My friends and I have stayed at the other highly touted five star hotels which are often more popular. Some are closer to the Opera House and Circular Quay; some may have better views or Executive Lounges. In a country where international standards of excellent service is fairly new, this hotel stands out from almost every hotel I've seen. I've seen the conceirge run out to the street to help someone, I've had them book me an MD appointment on very short notice and closeby at a very reasonable cost. The decor is not my favorite, but the housekeeprs - especially Diow provide a caring, hospitable professionalism seldom seen in the business. One day at the business lounge I noticed an employee embraced by someone, congratulating them on their recent newborn. When I asked who it was, the employee told me it was the hotel manager. There's a team spirit here that is obvious. Other hotels may have a cachet, seem more hip, but when it comes to efficiency and service, this hotel is the one to book. Park views are great, some of the larger rooms are great. Here is one hotel where it pays to be a loyal Starwood member - the upgrades are worth all the loyalty. The conceirges have saved me money with very helpful insider info. One wouldn't expect this to be a great hotel - it is.

Comments