Sir Stamford Circular Quay

Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 50% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo

The Sir Stamford

Well, it is a 5 star hotel but they're a little on amenities. they will certainly try to bleed you dry. the rooms are nice, big and have a pretty good view, if your staying on the east side.

if you book 60 days in advanced you can get a huge discount. at the discounted price, its worth it, but otherwise I think you could do better.

• Openseas's Profile Photo

A Romantic Hotel in Sydney.

This hotel is situated in a prime position just minutes from the Opera House, Circular Quay and The Rocks area. It is housed in a beautiful National Trust Heritage building with nine or ten floors. The foyer and lobby area are gorgeous with lovely 18th century Georgian antique furniture. The hotel has a distinctive ambience and oozes with charm and character. The art work within the hotel is also very impressive.

Our room 905 was absolutely wonderful. It was very spacious with a king size bed, small table and chairs, lamps, mini bar, coffee and tea facilities, trouser press, with a comfortable lounge chair and ottoman.

The best thing was our huge balcony which had stunning views of the Harbour Bridge, Sydney Harbour and the Botanical Gardens. I was very ecstatic, as I had booked this hotel for a surprise for my husband’s birthday. Most of our time except for dinner was spent just sitting on the outdoor table and chairs taking in the spectacular view, and at night it truly was magical. We noticed the room next door to ours (911) had a bigger balcony and they would actually get the same view but with the Opera House added in as a bonus. (Fabulous room for New Years Eve.)

The bathroom was marble and had two separate vanity units and excellent makeup mirror. Fluffy white bathrobes and slippers were also supplied. The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool and a good size deck area with sauna and gym supplied.

We had dinner in the restaurant which had a lovely atmosphere.

Overall, apart for the misfortune of our dinner fiasco, I thought this hotel to be wonderful. If I was visiting Sydney, this hotel would suit me perfectly.

I have given this hotel a 5 star rating for its position, ambience, atmosphere and our fantastic spacious balcony with stunning views. Oops, I almost forgot to mention the lovely touch of “romance and seduction” CD playing when you opened your door.

Unique Quality: Fabulous views and room.

Directions: A five minute walk to the Opera House with the Botancial Gardens across the road.

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Swish at Circular Quays

This is a hotel most definately aimed at the discerning traveller at the top end of the market. Its so traditionally (stereotypically) 'English' it defies belief with completely old-fashioned values that appeal to some, whilst alienates others.

You certainly can't fault the hotel - it has everyhting you need in a five star hotel and more. This one is more about how comfortable you feel in a slightly fawning, 'service is everything' type of place where you will never be anonymous. Drop soemthing on the floor and miraculously someone appears to pick it up for you (OK - poetic license but it gives you the idea).

Unique Quality: From the tiny, discrete reception through to the grand sweeping rooms (most with small, ornate balconies which at least provide outside access), the Sir Stamford is about class, albeit slightly old-fashioned. Its not about clean straight lines and minimalist decor here - this is about comfort and over-stuffed wing-back chairs, floral motifs, brass fittings and super-efficient service.

Its difficult to fault, but ultimately I felt too claustrophobic - I prefer a slightly more anonymous, contemporary place. But it certainly has a great location!

FABULOUS BUT JUST NOT NOT MY STYLE AT ALL.

More about Sir Stamford Circular Quay

TOP 10 Boutique Hotels in Sydney.

by Openseas about intimacy and romance !

Sydney has some very special romantic hotels which would suit honeymooners or those looking to stay somewhere intimate and special.

1. Observatory Hotel - The Rocks. (expensive rate $400 plus)

2. The Establishment Hotel - The Rocks. ( above average price $300)

3. Sir Stamford - Circular Quay ( above average $300)

4. Jonah's - Whale Beach (expensive)

5. Periwinkle Guest House - Manly Cove. (Budget $140)

6. The Russell - The Rocks (Budget $90 up)

7. Hughenden - Paddington ( Moderate)

8. Kirketon - Kings Cross (average)

9. L'Otel - Kings Cross ( Moderate price $160)

10. Medusa - Darlinghurst ( average ) All of the above offer fabulous character hotels which cater for travelers looking for something special and intimate whilst visiting Sydney.

Do everything once

by petdec

A short list of must sees. All of them well worth it.
The Commonwealth Bank in Martin Place. I think it is number 48
A drink in The Horizon Bar of the Shangri-la Hotel
The Italian Forum, Leichardt
King Street Newtown
A trip to Manly on the Ferry,
All these things are well worth the effort so make time and go for it. You will enjoy.

Great base to explore Syndey. Great start to our holiday.

by TripAdvisor Member LightyPar

We stayed at the Sir Stamford in Sydney for the first few days of our holiday in Australia. It was a great place from which to explore the city.

The hotel isn't right on Circular Quay, but it's only a 3 minute walk and it has the advantage of being slightly out of the hussle and bustle of the quay. You can walk a couple of blocks down Macquarrie St to the Opera House or just cross the road to wander around the botanic gardens. Great location.

Our room was large and spacious and the bathroom was really luxurious. As a rule you'd be better off with rooms higher up the hotel in order to get any kind of view.

The staff we very helpful. It would have been nice if they could have found us a room when we arrived, because our flight got in really early, but it wasn't a major problem. We just left our bags and went to explore Sydney for a couple of hours.

There is a small pool and sundeck, which was deserted when we used it. You wouldn't use if for olympic training, but it was clean and well kept.

The only real gripe was that the breakfasts were probably about $10 (AUS) too expensive, but other than that I would recommend the Sir Stamford to anyone visiting Sydney for business or pleasure.

Absolutely Supurb

Last weekend my wife and I booked a weekend snugglers package via lastminute at this hotel and was extremely impressed with the entire package in terms of quality and value. In my travels I frequently visit 5 star hotels. The Sir Stamford, though smaller than most would rate as one of the best I have visted. The check in staff were most hospitable and set a lovely tone for a wonderful visit which included a welcoming hot chocolate by the fireplace, a well appointed top floor room with soft music playing on arrival and views across Circular Quay to the harbour bridge & Luna Park. The buffet breakfast (included in the package) was also terrific including a great selection of hot food, cereals, patries, fruit, muffins etc.
The location is great too.. just a few minutes stroll to Circualr Quay and the Opera House. A great base for any visitors to Sydney.

great location, wouldn't stay anywhere else

by TripAdvisor Member oscat

I travel to sydney for a weekend of relaxing, shopping and sightseeing about every second month and I wouldn't stay anywhere else but the Sir Stamford. It is in a great location directly opposite the botanical gardens and a couple of minute walk from Circular Quay and the Opera House. The pool is outside so not good in winter and its very small but that is about the only downside. Make sure you request a room on Macquarie Street overlooking the Botanical Gardens. These rooms are much larger than the others and have little balconies and doors that can be opened. They get all the morning sun too and have lovely views even from just the second floor. If you get given a room that is right up on the top floor with a sloping roof, ask to be moved - they are way to claustrophobic and not up to standard. Also, don't ask for a suite on the side of the hotel as they are dark and gloomy and designed somewhat like a maze. Most unpleasant. So assuming you have the room organised, its a great base to explore Sydney. On one occasion, room service organised a birthday cake for a friend and it was waiting in the room when we arrived. The concierge also arranged to collect Harbour Bridge Climb tickets for me and they were available when I checked in. Nothing is too much trouble. I tend not to eat in the hotel restaurant as there are wonderful places just around the corner along Circular Quay or in the Rocks which is a short walk away. For dinner, get a taxi down to one of the numerous restaurants at Cockle Bay Wharf. I always book online through wotif.com and they always have cheap deals.

Excellent location and service

by TripAdvisor Member pinkpooch

I booked this hotel online with the view to attending a concert at the Opera House. The location was excellent for this purpose, being a 5 minute stroll there. It is also a 5 minute walk from the Circular Quay train/ferry station. The service by all the staff was also excellent, with great personal attention given. This level of service is rarely given at the big 5 star hotels. I would definitely return and also recommend it to friends and family.

Stamford - brilliant stay.

by TripAdvisor Member joanne2

I booked through wotif discount hotels site. It cost around £750 for seven nights. The room was great with a side view of the opera house. This hotel was literally four mninutes walk from the stage door of the opera house. All i had to do was roll out of bed and walk down at 8.30am to wait for tickets for shows. I got them for a fraction of the price at A$33 each. We saw turandot and pirates of penzance. All was an amazing experience and truly wonderful productions. The hotel itself has a very small rooftop pool but its heated. The gym and sauna are next to it so we had a sauna and slipped into the pool - it was great! The doorman was totally brill... he gave us lots of advice about sydney and was very friendly. However the rest of the staff weren't as friendly. It could do with a training day on smiling and greeting people. Sometimes when we came out or into the hotel no one said good morning or evening etc. I was with two teenage boys - we all loved it. Circular quays on the doorstep with great access to the whole of sydney and beyond. We lovedour stay. The room was superb with the most amazing marble bathroom big enough to make a room itself! I thought it was great value. Breakfast was served in the morning on the third floor as was afternoon tea and biscuits although I'm not sure if were supposed to use these facilities as no one really showed us our rooms and talked us through anything. We didn'#t use the eating there - we were out at the crack of dawn and ate around and about. Don't eat at the cafe at the front of the shopping centre opposite the ferries. We waited an hour for breakfast and when it eventually came they got the order wrong. It cost $49 too. Sydney is expensive - as expensive as London. But a great stay for a week.

Sir Stamford HotelSir Stamford Hotel

Accomm in Sydney

by ausgal

Husband and myself wish to stay in Sydney mid-week in early October, would love some help on choosing where.
Would love to be walking distance to Quay and a nice view would be nice.
Would like no more than $200 (if that even) a night.
Would love a swimming pool.
And as this trip is for a special birthday, a nice room would be good.
Thanks in advance.

by colin_bramso

Check out www.wotif.com for some good rates, although midweek isn't usually the best time for discounts.
You could stay at Darling Harbour or around The Rocks, both are good locations and there are plenty of hotels in both areas.

by peteyjim

For something different, try the Harbourview Hotel in North Sydney. Every room has a view of the bridge, and they've got some good packages including dinner. Not sure about a pool though...
And it's a nice walk over the bridge back into town too!

by ajaysydney

wotif has some seriously good deals at the moment alot of my pals have been grabbing.

that corus hotel i know very well i work right next to it..it seems it would do the job if you need a basic country comfort style thing..no frills, but good location and will do the job i reckon for $95 you wont get better this end of town.

if you can go to $250 a bit of a hidden gem is the rydges on jamison st. wotif shows midweek for $250 with a breakfast.

its a tall thin hotel right next to wynard station. 5-10 mins to the rocks and really well maintained.

close to pitt st mall also.

other options would be Saville Apartments..its a stones throw from Jacksons on George and is now serviced apartments.

I just looked at wotif now and the sir stamford at circular quay is $210?!! right next to the opera house , and the description says overlooking the city or the quay...wow..this is pretty good!!

Comments