Sofitel Wentworth Sydney

Booking.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Site of my Principal's Induction Accommodation

My memory tells me that this hotel has been one of Sydney's landmark CBD hotels, located on prestigious Phillip Street, for over 30 years. It has recently undergone a $60 million makeover to join one of the world's leading luxury hotel brands, offering 5-star quality and service.
    I stayed here in January 2002 so quite some time before this & it was still an undoubtedly classy place to stay.

Unique Quality: I think what appeals to me about this hotel, apart from the class of its interior, is its location. This is the end of town I would prefer to stay in as it is an easy walk down to Circular Quay and the water. Equally, it is an easy walk across to the Botanic Gardens & again proximity to Sydney Harbour, but also the Art Gallery of NSW. (one of my favourite spots to visit).

The current rack rate for a room for two people is $410 (Australian), but though the website listed below they are offering "Hot Deals" from Dec 11 through Jan 31, 2005 (except of course for New Year's Eve) at $225.

Directions: This is described as being in the Financial District, but I guess that's as it's close to the Stock Exchange & there are many office blocks & company headquarters around. It's about 7 minutes walk down to Circular Quay following Phillip St.

More about Sofitel Wentworth Sydney

Great Service

We stayed at this hotel for the first stop of our honeymoon. We arrived at 6am after 23 hours flying not expecting to be able to check in. However, the check in staff were amazing and not only did they check in but upgraded us to a suite. The suite was lovely (a little small) but had separate lounge with TV and desk and then bedroom with another TV and a huge bathroom with separate bath and huge powerful shower.

The only downsides were that there were no nice views from the rooms but you would pay a lot more for that!!!

Perfet location in Sydney vs deluxe hotels

by TripAdvisor Member 75000

I had the opportunity to spend my holidays with some friends in Sydney, we did stay at SOFITEL WENTWORTH ; perfectly located in the city walking distance from everywhere (circular quay, opera, museum, shopping). Even if the hotel is a really business oriented, it fits to tourists looking to discover beautiful Sydney and surrounding. The rooms are large; well decorated, the associates are really professional (especially the concierge desk, all of them are really helpful and I do make a special note to their sense of service). From my point of view it is not worth to psend extras dollars to stay on Circular Quay as this hotel is not far away and looks as elegant as the Four Seasons and much better that Shangri-La (OK, you don't have a view ...). A tip for other leisure fellow who would like to stay at this hotel, the breakfasts are quite expensive (nice buffet) , you just cross the street and go to Chifley square, there you will find a cafe-restaurant calles"AVENUE" on Chifley , the quality is outstanding and the staff and owners very nice, smiling and welcoming and the prices half !

Great stay in Sydney

by TripAdvisor Member jmjo48

My husband and I stayed at the Sofitel Wentworth at the end of September. Sydney was our first stop. After flying across the U.S. and then overseas to Sydney, we were ready for a good night's sleep.

The Sofitel Wentworth was fantastic! We like Sofitel hotels and were not disappointed. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had a Superior room (1 level above a Standard room) - it was a bit bigger than the standard room and was only a few dollars/night more. The room was a decent size and comfortable. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've slept in. The bathroom was a good size as well. The hotel toilettries were fantastic (L'Occitane). We did not find the room to be too small and we had a nice view off our balcony.

The location of the hotel is great. It's in a safe area. It was an easy walk to the Circular Quay and we also were in walking distance of Darling Harbor, the Pitt Street Mall, the Sydney Tower and the Queen Victoria Building. We didn't take any taxis while in Sydney.

I recommend getting the Sofitel Loyalty card. It's free to sign up and they offer some discounts. Because of the card, we had preferred check-in status and had the option to keep the room until 4pm on the day of check out. They also gave us fruit and a couple bottles of water in the room.

I would definitely stay here again!

Not a bad hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Adrina

We stayed in a twin room and the room size was quite small. There was not much space to place our luggage in the room. We requested to change the room because the first room we were allocated was very dusty and a bit stuffy as if it was unused for a long time. The second room was a bit better.

The water pressure of the showers are quite weak for hotel standards. There are also no bathtubs in the bathroom.

Their housekeeping is quite inefficient as we called to ask them to bring up some slippers and cotton pads, but it usually takes a few phone calls before they respond. Don't bother calling housekeeping at night (i.e. after 10pm) as they will never come.

The location of the hotel is not bad as it's close to The Rocks and Circular Quays. It's also within walking distance to the main shopping areas. There aren't many restaurants nearby for dinner at night so you would either have to walk a bit further or catch a taxi to other places.

The service at the concierge is excellent. One of the staff called Travis was especially helpful. We would always go through our itinerary for the day with him in the morning so he can give us advice. He also recommended a few good restaurants for dinner at night and called to make our reservations for us.

It's not a bad hotel for the price and location and I would stay there again although I have heard that the Marriot nearby is even better.

Not bad --could do better

by TripAdvisor Member vague travellers

We're from Sydney and stayed overnight after a nearby function. The staff were friendly (some perhaps inexperienced) and the room comfortable if a bit small. The view is not great --but doesn't pretend to be. When combined with some minor things --old towels, room service breakfast later than ordered, difficulty getting bags from the car, not being able to ask for the car to be ready when leaving etc -- meant to us that it was fine but not spectacular. We think there are better hotels, particularly those with great views for tourists if they are in your price range. However, when you can get this considerably cheaper than some of the opposition, it might be worth it. We got a last minute rate from the hotel itself that was a little cheaper even than the usual last minute sites.

Good value for money

by TripAdvisor Member Speedbird869

The Hotel is really close to all major attractions: the Rocks, Opera House and Circular Quay where you can also catch bus to Bondi Beach.

We stayed for two nights at a Superior King bedroom which was comfortable and cosy. Our rate did non included breakfast - and it is relatively expensive (35$pp) -, we've walked to the nearby Museum Coffe House - cca. two blocks toward Circular Quay -, they serve hot breakfast which was superb and cost only 36$ for two persons.

The hotel has no pool or any view in particular compared to nearby Marriott, Shangri-La, Intercontinental or Four Seasons but you can excpect a good quality, recently refurbished hotel, at excellent location in Sydney at a reasonable price.

Check out the hotel website, they offer good promotional rates also.

Good value for money.

Huge dissapointment for a Sofitel Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Daisylee

After disembarking on a cruise (on which we were thorougly spoiled) my husband and I were expecting more of the same service during our stay in Sydney when we checked in to the Sofitel Wentworth for two nights. Checkin was courteous and prompt, but the room was disappointing - walls were grubby with lots of scuff marks (not a good standard for a Sofitel) the furnishings overall are not in keeping with what one normally expects of a Sofitel no quality in the finishes, window coverings are blinds which are very impractical one redeeming feature the bed was comfortable though there was no "turn down" service with the little chocolate on the pillow - like housekeeping this must be another service that has been "cut back."
Requested assistance from concierge to make a reservation for a show - and even though we had a $10 tip in our hand to give him - we were directed out onto the street to make our own reservation at the Ticket shop.
Tried to dine in the hotel restaurant on a Friday evening as it is open plan the noise level from the adjoing bar area which was in full swing with pre-Christmas parties was horrendous and since they only have one inhouse restaurant had to go by taxi to Darling Harbour to dine. Had similar problem on the Saturday night, could not dine inhouse as they were fully booked and with no other inhouse restaurant had to again take taxi to go to Darling Harbour to dine. Should have stayed in Darling Harbour, where the restaurants are superb, and THE Sofitel Wentworth did not live up to the "Sofitel" standard.

An enjoyable stay in the end

by TripAdvisor Member aussietl

I stayed at the Sofitel for Valentine's Day with my partner for 2 nights.

Check-in was pretty smooth and easy; although when we walked into our room, we were a bit shocked to see how small it was (we were given a standard room even though we had booked a superior room). It wasn't until I woke up the next day that I realised we were probably given the wrong room type. I didn't make a fuss on the first day because I'm so used to small hotel rooms in Asia and didn't think at the time we were given the wrong room type.

I decided to take charge and approached the front desk and asked why they didn't provide me with the correct room type. The lady looked into the system and said they cancelled the upgrade yesterday because they were fully booked. I then mentioned that I had booked the hotel months in advance (December) and the fact that the cancellation of the upgrade was not communicated to me at check-in. The lady promptly went to see the Duty Manager and 2 minutes later, we were upgraded for free on our second night to a Deluxe Suite. What a nice touch! I was thoroughly impressed.

The Deluxe Suite is a world's difference to the standard room. The furnishings were very modern and tasteful, and the bathroom was very luxurious. In fact, they use the exact shower head that I have at home (although I have much better water pressure at home).

The Sofitel MyBed is truly wonderful, particular the pillows and linen - incredibly soft and comfortable. I'm going to try and see if I can order some!

The room service deluxe burger was also very nice, although the Sofitel signature pizza was a bit dry.

The views from the room were nothing to write home about, but I didn't stay there for the view and I liked that the opera house was only 5 minutes away by foot.

Also, for those that don't know, one should apply for the Sofitel Privilege Card (it's free) which entitles you to a late check out at 4pm (extremely useful). We were also provided 4 large bottles of complimentary water and free drink vouchers at the lounge which I thought were nice touches.

In terms of the lobby area, there really wasn't anything grand about it (which was disappointing because I like my grand hotel lobbies). Very different to the Sofitel Melbourne (where we stay for new years).

Overall, it was a great stay in the end and I did enjoy my stay at the Sofitel; although I might give another place a try next time (maybe one of the Amex Platinum FHR hotels which will also give late checkouts).

Comments