Stamford Sydney Airport Hotel

Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Frequent Flyer Programs

Stayed one night on a pre paid booking and spent an additional amount of $270 on meals and extended checkout. My advice is to check you will get Frequent Flyer point. I gave me card to the receptionist who confirmed I would get the points only to find out after returning home no points.
    I have communicated with the hotel only to be told that as a pre paid there are no points. when asked about the additional expenditure NO RESPONSE.

I have communicated by situation with my program provider but still no response.

DOUBLE CHECK THAT YOU GET POINTS IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE EXPECTING

Unique Quality: Accomodation was okay but the loss of points was disapointing

More about Stamford Sydney Airport Hotel

Felt ripped off

by TripAdvisor Member MissReasonable

Chose this hotel for its spa, sauna and pool facilities. The spa was tepid, the sauna not turned on. When we told the manager he was not apologetic at all. Said we should have called reception. We said there wouldn't have been time to get the heat up, he said their engineers could override the settings. Wow, engineers that have the power to override the laws of physics, Fab.
Free shuttle to hotel but $5 per person back to airport!!!
Rooms were very clean, and the 2 people who checked us in and out were lovely. Noone helped us with our luggage though, wondered if it was because we were in jeans and t shirts.
We would not stay here again, there are other places at better value.

Consistency of service leaves a lot to be desired

by TripAdvisor Member The_Y-man

The hotel was chosen for its locaiton - walking distance to the Sydney Domestic Terminal.

Check in seemed to be understaffed and took some time.

The rooms were well presented, clean, and comfortably furnished.

During our stay, we utilised the "Green Option" of not having our rooms serviced, and to receive a 10% discount voucher at the on site restaurant.

Unfortunately, the said voucher did not materialise, and there was some confuision with room service as to the offer. We did eventually receive the voucher, after some discussion.

The restaurant was disappointing - the buffet offering very limited and scant range of food. It is suggested to go the A La Carte option when dining, as it is better value.

House keeping calls for extra tea/milk was slow - taking 30-45 minutes.

Only stay here out of desperation

by TripAdvisor Member Calpespain

Stamford Plaza Airport Hotel Sydney: Stayed for 1 night `9th July 2007. Pre paid for a deluxe room on the top 2 floors of this supposedly ‘with refurbished rooms’. Ours did not appear to us to have been done, if it had, it was not apparent. The rooms are not deluxe at all, no trouser press, no goodies, just a plain basic hotel room. Not what you would call a 5 star deluxe hotel of the quality of any Asian stop-over hotel nor of European deluxe standards.

Upon check-in they said the room was not pre-paid, it took me, not the hotel some 3 hours of telephoning around the globe before at 11pm, some 6 hours after check-in for the hotel to acknowledge the room was paid in full. There was neither a reservation manager on duty nor a front desk manager just an assistant night manager on duty from 5pm. He was also the hotels night manager, who just hadn’t got a clue how to sort my problem out, as I was leaving on a 6am flight he said the reservation will resolve this after 9am tomorrow when they come in. For a supposedly 5 start hotel this hotel is very badly run from a gusts point of view.

Our mini bar had nine (9) items missing upon check-in; it took them 2 hours to send someone to the room to fill it. They then said it was the past guest fault as they must have stolen the items after check-out. Be warned this is a very badly managed establishment.

They only have one restaurant, which is next to then main entrance foyer and on a cold night the wind and draft from the main hotel entrance opening and closing made it a very chilly meal indeed. The food was deplorable; the selection on the menu was not of a deluxe standard hotel. One could say very 2 star food menu. The staff were almost all trainees and work experience, only one experience waiter on duty to serve a full airport hotel restaurant on its main evening shift. They were unable to cope and it showed in all of the food quality and service. They ended up giving us a bottle of wine as the soup served was in fact, coloured water. They all agreed that it was not soup and how it was served they have no idea, the steak was so tough that you had to slice it very thinly to even be able to chew it.

With no management on duty to complain to, no wonder this hotel has such bad service, they don’t care about guests here, as it’s on the airport. I suppose they have the attitude that because of so many delayed flights they will always be able to fill their rooms.

Don’t book this hotel for a luxury stay or a quality meal, book this out of desperation only, there are many good hotels in Sydney to choose from, don’t choose this Stamford Plaza Airport Hotel.

a very pleasant stopover at the Stamford Plaza

by TripAdvisor Member wagtails

Booked a superior room special package from the website well in advance as a stopover in Sydney after returning from a 6 weeks trip to Europe, prior to returning to our home on the Gold Coast the next day.
It was an opportunity to catch up with one of our daughters and her husband, who live in Sydney, and tell them about our wonderful trip.
We were upgraded to a deluxe room on the top floors which was very spacious and well presented. It looks like this one had been renovated.
Well, we were more interested in conversation than the room, however we did notice some unusual noise coming from a nearby room for a short while.
We had a great nights sleep in a very comfortable bed, but unfortunately we were woken at 6am by the same noise we had heard the night before. Never mind, we looked out the window and watched the air traffic at Sydney airport with all sorts of jets taking off and landing. Its a wonderful view from this vantage point, so close to the airport, but without the noise.
The shower was absolute bliss and a welcome back to Australia, following our most recent stay in an apartment in Rome with pathetic water pressure.
Breakfast was a typical Aussie fare and we particularly enjoyed having some real bacon with the fillet attached, not like europe where you only get the scrappy tail bit!
We scanned the breakfast room to try to identify if there were any honeymooners in the room, but agreed that perhaps it was too much to expect that they would surface for breakfast.
We had read the several ordinary reviews of this hotel on TA before we booked and realised that the best chance of a comfortable room was to book a renovated Superior room. To be upgraded to a Deluxe room was a bonus.
An airport hotel was a convenient option for us and we are glad that we chose the Stamford Plaza.
By the way, every interaction with staff was very friendly, courteous and polite, just what you expect.
This is the first time that we have stayed in an airport hotel and we were surprisingly more than happy with the experience. The unhappy reviewers on this site must be a stressfull and grumpy old lot!

Not the Best

by TripAdvisor Member Wackey

My husband and I and our 6 month old daughter stayed here for 3 nights in August. My husband had to attend a work conference nearby as soon as we arrived which is the only reason we chose to stay here.

We had arranged for a cot for our baby several weeks earlier however when we arrived there wasnt one set up in the room. I tried to phone the reception desk however the phone wasnt working. I had to carry a screaming overtired baby down to reception to enquire about the cot and the phone. 5 and a half hours and 2 more trips down to reception later our cot finally arrived. The phone was not fixed until the next day but it was an inconvenience as I wanted to order room service as I didnt feel comfortable eating in the hotels restaurant with my daughter.

The bed felt like it was sinking, the remote for the tv wasnt working properly and I felt the service was lacking. However, it was clean and quiet and I would consider staying here again.

OK for overnight stay

by TripAdvisor Member GuildfiordTrotter

This hotel is very close to the airport but there is nothing located in its vicinity. Thus it is fine for an overnight before catching a flight but not for much else re its location. The rooms are a decent size clean comfortable and well equipped. Service is fine with clean and fine lobby. The bar area is smallish but comfortable and the restaurant is fine with a good buffet. Expensive for what you get but recommended for pre flight stop.

Comfortable overnight stay

by TripAdvisor Member bye_for_now

We stayed at the Stamford recently after arriving on a late night flight from overseas and found the hotel to be just what we needed for an overnight stay.
There was a very long taxi queue outside the airport terminal, so we rang the hotel to be told that a complimentary hotel bus was available - what a relief. The staff at reception checked us in quickly and were welcoming and friendly,
We had a deluxe room which was very comfortable and had all that we needed - lovely Aveda bathroom treats, good quality linen and very comfortable pillows. There was a coffee plunger and coffee grounds to make a proper cup of coffee. The room was a good size, well maintained and a pleasant decor.
We found the breakfast to be well presented and a good selection.
The taxi to the domestic airport was only $6 so cheaper than the hotel shuttle bus.

Closed out of the door!

by TripAdvisor Member moreno67

I have booked an overnight room before my trip back to Montreal from Sydney. I arrived in the afternoon and in the evening I had a business diner with a colleague of mine. Before going out, I paid the (very expensive) internet connection with the intention to work a bit on my return.
When I was back, I was not able to open the door of my room. After several attempts by personnel of the reception, and at about 2 am, it was (quickly?) realized that the electronic lock of the door was broken and there was no way to get in. As my flight was at 9.30 am, I was given another room and the promise of being able to access my original room by 6.30 am. Of course, only when I woke up at 6.30 am my issue was resumed and I was able to get in the ancient room at about 7.45 am -after they broke down the door-, getting very late to catch my plane. The hotel agreed to provide me a taxi to the airport (which they did, i think they realized that loosing the flight back would have been unpardonable! ) and to waive my INTERNET which I hardly used (maybe 10 mins?). Needless to say they NEVER waived my Internet and they NEVER answered to my complains. This an expensive, 5 star hotel. Get to your own conclusions...

Once bitten twice shy!!

by TripAdvisor Member ClareDora

Myself and my husband recently enjoyed a well earned one month holiday in Australia. The grand finale for our holiday was to spend a few days celebrating New Years Eve in Sydney. We decided to blow the budget and stay in a really nice "5 star" hotel near the airport as we were leaving early on New Years Day. We opted to stay for two nights at the Stamford Plaza Hotel but we were bitterly disappointed with what we found.

Upon arrival there was no porter to assist with luggage, reception staff were cold and unfriendly and uttered the minimal amount of words to us upon registration. We had to explore the hotel ourselves to find out where the pool, gym etc were. The bar staff were positively ignorant and unhelpful. It was almost like having customers was a total inconvenience. The bar area was filthy with layers of dust on every piece of dismal dark furniture. The restaurant was closed for some reason unknown to us, and as meals were now only being offered in the (unclean) bar area we had no choice but to eat elswhere.

Internet facilities were a joke and printing was only available by sending an email to a Stamford Plaza email address with your print job attached. This was extremely frustrating and for a "5 star" hotel ridiculous in the extreme. The outdoor pool had just 5 sun loungers available to hotel guests. I witnessed people lying on their towels on the hard tiled floor. This is hardly appropriate for again i reiterate a "5 star" hotel.

Our "executive suite", which we payed an obscene amount of money for was adequate at best. Numerous pieces of furniture in the room were visibly damaged. The mini bar was not fully stocked or replenished for that matter. The thing that shocked me the most was the state of the bathrobes. One of ours was competely out of shape, had a badly torn pocket and one of the belt hooks was missing. The rightful place for this was in the bin, and it most definitely should not have been presented to paying guests. I will add that the bed was comfortable and that the bathroom was a great size with a large shower and separate bath.

I would like to comment that the best service we got was from one of the concerige team who went out of his way to flag down a taxi for us on New Years Eve, unfortunately I did not get his name. Overall this hotel was a major disappointment and going forward I know to never ever consider booking a Stamford Plaza Hotel anywhere in the world again because like I say in the title of this review, "Once bitten twice shy".

Better than expected for an airport hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member ozitravlr

We stayed here in September 2007 on the first night of an overseas trip. Having stayed in some dire airport hotels over the years we were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. There is a shuttle ($A5), but you can walk from the domestic terminal, although it might be a struggle with lots of luggage ,as there are kerbs to navigate. The room overlooked the runway, which was interesting, and it was well sound-proofed so we didn't hear anything. You do hear noise from other guests in the corridors, however. Usual room amenities, including an ironing board and iron. No magnifying mirror in bathroom. Bed comfortable. Internet $A5 for 30 minutes. Nothing much in the way of restaurants in the vicinity so we ate our evening meal at the hotel. There are two restaurants, but the pizza, burger place (AV8) was closed as it was a Sunday. Restaurant "The Grove" was buffet-style, with a good selection, and a lot of Indian dishes, since there was some sort of Indian cuisine promotion going on. Cost $A55 per person, wine was $A48 for a NZ sauvignon blanc. Food was tasty, but the staff were slow to replenish the buffet, and slow to clear away dirty plates, even though there seemed to be numerous staff members on duty. For breakfast the next day we went to a small cafe nearby (closed Sunday), which seems to cater to office workers and hotel guests as it was very busy. Service was efficient and we had a cooked breakfast and good coffee for about half the price of the hotel's breakfast. (Room service price was $A32.50 for a full breakfast, $A24 for continental alone.) We would stay here again if we had to spend a night at Sydney Airport.

Ice Cold BeerIce Cold Beer

Passing the Harbor BridgePassing the Harbor Bridge

Tooheys & Pure BlondeTooheys & Pure Blonde

One of the two Gateways to ChinatownOne of the two Gateways to Chinatown

Credit Card neccessary or Visa Debit Card enough?

by inselkind

hello again everybody!

My holiday is approaching fast and more and more questions are popping into my head. I got already so much help from the Forum so I hope you can help me out with following question:

When staying in hotels and any other kind of accomodation (not 5star places, more middle-class and low-budget places) is it neccessary to have a credit card with PIN Nr. to hand when checking in or am I fine using my VISA Debit Card?

I never got around to apply for Credit Card since I've been living in England as I didn't see the need of it as I can use my Debit Card here for everything (including Hotels etc.) What I don't know is if my VISA Debit Card (Bank is Barclay's) is accepted in Australia apart from withdrawing money from the ATM.

I do have a german MASTERCARD Credit Card, but can't remember my PIN Nr. for that one as I haven't used it for ages. Here in England we need the PIN Nr. for everything and just a signature is not enough. How is that in Australia, would I be fine with just signing and Identification if my Debit Card is not accepted?

I really would prefer to use only my Debit Card so I don't need to touch my german bank account (for this one I obviously know the PIN)or can I rely just to pay cash in advance when staying in cheap accomodations? I know they usually want a card for a deposit in hotels.
Can you help?

by amandajayne81

I live in Queensland Australian. When using my credit card for day to day transactions in shops it is generally accepted that you just sign. I have to actually tell most places that I have a pin and sometimes even then I have to sign as well. I am sure your debit card will be fine.

by lynnehamman

I suggest that you have a credit card as well as debit card- (just in case) because rules can differ from place to place.At present- (for Australians anyway) a signature suffices.) Perhapsyou can find out the pin # of your credit card before you arrive here.

by Mikebb

Most hotels require a credit card impression on check in. As for pin number it is starting to get acceptance in Australia but not compulsory. Recommend you contact your bank and find out your credit card pin number.

It is most important to inform your bank the destinations you are visiting, otherwise you might find they reject your card.

Good Luck,
Mike

by Kakapo2

I have two credit cards and do not remember the pin codes of any of them - and lucky me, have not been asked to use the pin instead or addionally to my signature.

I use my German direct debit card from Sparkasse to get cash from ATM machines in NZ and Australia. In NZ the daily limit is NZ$ 800, should be similar in Australia.

by lynnehamman