4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

68 Market St, (formerly Merchant Court Hotel), Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia

Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• OzChik's Profile Photo

Luxury with a price tag, in the heart of Sydney

Stayed here for 4 nights while at a conference in Sydney.
    Excellent location in the heart of sydney (centrepoint tower was right outside my window!). Nice and close to lots of shops, cafes etc, and only a few mins walk to great 'multicultural' restaurants - Thai, Korean etc...
    The cafe/restaurant in the hotel itself was very classy....I highly recommend having a 'High Tea' one afternoon!

Use of the laundry facilities is pretty pricey - $9AUD per token to do a load of washing or drying. A same day laundry service is available too.

The pool and gym were not amazing, but not too shabby...all the basics were there...

The bathrooms were really nice...a very comfy bathtub, & separate shower. The bathroom freebies were pretty good too...shampoo, conditioner, body wash, moisturising lotion, nail file, shoe brush, cotton tips, sanitary bags, shower cap... The only bad thing about the bathroom was no powerpoint, so i had to use my hair straightener in the bedroom mirror.

All in all - if you are there for a business trip, and work is paying for it or you're a lot richer than I am!), I highly recommend it!

Unique Quality: One of the best things about this hotel is its location...Right above Pitt St Mall, close to the monorail, and within walking distance to the train station. Definitely a winner!

Directions: Located right near the corner of Market St & Pitt St, at the Meyer end of Pitt Street Mall.
    Opposite the

More about Swissotel Sydney

Loved my view

I stayed at the Swissotel Sydney for 4 nights in July 2006.

I initially only booked for 1 night through Wotif.com but extended as I was pleased with my room.

I was lucky enough to get a room on the 25th floor ( Executive floor according to the button on the lift) and had a great view of the city/park and harbour. The rate I paid did not entitle me to use the executive lounge on the 24th floor though.

Location wise, it is great if you want to be central and close to the shops. Next to George Street too. One of the main advantages of this hotel is that all floors at at least on the 9th level as reception is on the 8th floor. This increases your chances of a good view and less noise.

The room itself was quite spacious and included a LCD TV. The bathroom was quite spacious too and had a seperate bath and shower.

Decor wise it is quite modern, beiges etc. Not plush plush but pleasant and understated.

Evening turndown with complimentary toblerones was nice.

All in all a good central hotel. If you were as lucky as me to be appointed a great room , then you will be very happy.

Reception and Concierge staff were mostly friendly and professional. Sukanya on reception deserves a special mention as she was incredibly patient and helpful with me during a time when I did not know from day to day if i would stay in Sydney any longer or not.

Good location

Our family of 4 stayed here during Christmas 2004. It is very centrally located for shopping, but we had a hard time finding a reasonably priced, family-friendly restaurant nearby. The breakfast was excellent but go early to avoid the crowd. We needed to do laundry and paid $18USD a load! Our kids enjoyed the pool, but it was very small. (Tip for families: we LOVED the zoo, and going out for a hike at the Three Sisters mountain area).

GREAT HOTEL

stayed here for 5 nights in dec 2005 after spending many hours looking on internet for good hotel and good deal. hotel was excellent, staff v helpfull to us (arrived way before checkin after getting early flight into sydney looking and feeling quite grubby, room was not ready for us as expected but they managed to get one sorted out for us very quickly and still about 4 hours early) hotel entrance not too impresive but when you get up to the 8th floor its quite different, also as it was nearly chrismas they had a lovely christmas tree on display. hotel was fantasticaly situated for us, about 5 min walk to darling harbour, about 10 mins from rocks and the bridge and great shopping all around. enjoyed it that much we would have liked to have stayed longer and will definately stay there again given the chance.

Superb for Shoppers!

by TripAdvisor Member TropicalTess

I am a born and bred Sydneysider now working and living overseas but I return regularly - and nearly always stay at the Swissotel. The staff could not be more helpful, obliging and friendly - and will throw in some extras if the Hotel is not heavily booked - but beware I have noted on several occasions now (to my disappointment) that the Hotel has been BOOKED OUT particularly during peak periods....love being close to the shops and transport right outside the door. Great bar on the first floor to meet friends for pre dinner drinks. Try booking the club rooms on the highest floors - the private area is worth the extra

Location, Location, Location

by TripAdvisor Member djsteviemac

The hotel was fantasically placed being preety much smack bang in the middle of Sydney.

The room was fantastic with everything you could wish for. Huge wardrobes, tv, mini bar, deluxe bathroom. Everything was fantastic.

Just make sure that the fire alarm doesn't go off when your on the 23rd floor as it's a long way down.

On a plus side, the restuarant was awesome and the food was brilliant.

Best location in Sydney

by TripAdvisor Member sleepingruby

I stayed here recently for a weekend getaway. The Swissotel is perfectly located for shopping, is an easy walk to most major attractions and also very close to major train and bus lines. In fact, as a local, I would say this is the best located hotel to get around the city easily.

Found a great rate on the hotel website and I was very happy with my room. Large and bright, it was very comfortable and welcoming. Lots of wardrobe space and I particularly loved the bathroom, probably the biggest hotel bathroom I've seen, with a seperate bath and huge shower. The bed was a little on the hard side, but surprisingly comfortable anyway.

My view was of the pool and nearby buildings mostly, but pretty good considering I paid the lowest price I could find online. Service was mostly very good, occasionally excellant. Room service was very quick and the lobby bar had a very pleasant atmosphere to hang out and watch the world go by.

I'm very happy that I chose the Swissotel and would definitely stay here again.

Great View and Service

by TripAdvisor Member mattrick

From the moment we jumped out of our car the staff were attentive and polite.

When we arrived our room was not ready, this was only just after 1pm however when we checked in (2pm check in time) and were given access to the Executive lounge on the 24th floor where we enjoyed a softdrink and some fresh fruit.

When we checked into our room on the 19th floor, which was a Swiss Corner Premier, with a balcony. The room was not huge but it was very clean, had a Nesexpresso coffee machine , a Plasma TV and a Bose clock stereo radio. The bathroom was huge with a seperate bath and the shower was massive.

We had problem with our in room safe, when we called for service, a security staff member attended quickly and repaired it with little fuss.

With the package we booked we had access to the executive lounge, where from 5.30pm to 7.30pm canapes and drinks were served, this included wine, beer and spirits. This was very good value as with most there are limited selection of drinks available and do not usually include such a wided selection. Breakfast was also served at this location which was also ver enjoyable.

The view from the room was great, looking down towards Darling Harbour, the QVB building and even a great view from the bathroom towards Hyde Park.

The hotel is located on top of MYERS Department store , and just around the corner from Pitt Street Mall. Only 10 mins walk to Darling Harbour.

This was our first stay and we will be back again.

really liked it

by TripAdvisor Member sandokan

I recently stayed for 4 nights with my family. Booked through Wotif.com at a rate of 249 USD fro an executive club room.
I informed them I was arriving 10 am and the room was ready 4 hours from std check-in time!
Check-in was fast and immediately they send to the room a baby cot we asked.
We stayed at the executive floor and the room was very large, clean and modernly furnished. Everything working as expected.
The espresso machine and plasma tv are something you’ll like. A dvd player could be most welcome.
We found the location extremely convenient, close to shopping area and major attractions (Darling Harbour, acquarium, Tower,etc). about 20 min walking from Circular Quay and Opera House. A taxi will cost you around 7 AUSd.
Exec club breakfast is good value for money.
Staff very friendly and efficient.

Minor improvements needed: evening canapés at Executive floor are not so good and very minimum selection, service at Executive Club could be improved with more staff (expecially during breakfast).
Poor food selection for room service and you’d also expect better restaurants.

Definitely I'll be back

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Kramax

I stayed at the Swissotel in 12-15 January for the first time since its former incarnation as the Merchant Court. I would recommend the hotel and would stay there again. The staff are extremely polite, always a plus. The bathroom in the corner room I had was fantastic, a huge bath and huge seperate shower. The bed was rock hard, just how I liked it and I slept right through the night from the first night of my stay. The view from my room was just of rooftops of surrounding buildings. The room service meals are not great, but they are generous. The eggs I ordered for breakfast were so runny I could have put them in a glass and drunk them - subsequently I did not order breakfast again. There is no noise from other guests and my floor was quite full from the "do not disturb signs". The air con is fantastic and individual to each room. My only complaint is that the hotel does not supply CNN, only the BBC. Very strange in this day and age and I missed it. I would recommend this hotel to all travellers. I did not eat in any of its restaurants so can't comment.

Comments