Sydney Beachouse YHA

4 Collaroy St, Collaroy Beach, New South Wales, 2097, Australia
Sydney Beachouse YHA
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

More about Sydney

Her new blue setHer new blue set

Nice location, nice homeNice location, nice home

Portobello MushroomsPortobello Mushrooms

Liz & I enjoying some time @ ZetaLiz & I enjoying some time @ Zeta

in or near Sydney, where can I cuddle koala and take a picture with it?

by raytung31

Hi all.

I appreciate if someone could tell me that, in or near Sydney, where can I cuddle koala and take a picture with it?

Thank you.

by FridgeMagnet

Taronga Zoo.

by Kathrin_E

Nowhere.
If you truly love animals, think twice about it. Because this means a lot of stress for the animals, most Australian states do not allow cuddling koalas any more. Queensland is afaik the only exception.
Taronga zoo only does photos with the koala sitting on a branch in a tree and the person standing next to it but not touching the animal.

by goodfish

Right you are, Kathrin - the koala probably have their own ideas about whether they want to be cuddled or not and I'm guessing, if asked, they'd choose to be left alone. I'd content myself with just looking at one from a comfortable (for the koala) distance.

by Kathrin_E

Maybe they would not mind being cuddled once per month by someone they know but being handed from one person to the next again and again, that's the problem which causes stress.

by goodfish

Agreed. I wouldn't want to be handled by perfect strangers so I don't imagine they would either?

by anneesussex

Years ago i went to a sanctuary and "cuddled" one..i can always remember being really uncomfortable with this nocturnal animal that had been lifted out of the tree and given to me to hold....it showed its displeasure by peeing on me :)
Please do not seek out these beautiful animals to hold..be happy with a photo taken from a distance.

by cafank

I think it is still illegal to cuddle a koala in New South Wales (Sydney) so you won't find anywhere to actually hold one. The closest you will get will be standing next to one in a tree or with a handler.

In Queensland you are still able to hold koala's and can do in some sanctuaries.

by colin_bramso

Agreed, NSW banned the holding of koalas some years ago. The nearest I've seen visitors allowed to get to them since the ban is at Featherdale Wildlife Park, where they sat the koala on a cushion next to the visitor for a quick photo.

by Purpleshade

Koalas are not cuddly.
They don't like people much and particularly don't like being touched by strangers.

by myshell...

You could try Taronga Zoo, or a cheaper option would be Featherdale Wildlife Park in Doonside (western sydney), which is about a quarter of the cost of Taronga and has a special Kola viewing area where you can get up close and personal.

by oznztofro

Taronga zoo in Mosman

Fetherdale wild in Blacktown

Koala Park in Doonside (near blacktown)

Travel Tips for Sydney

Clever Koalas or what....????

by DaveRowley

Not a tip just thought these Aussies really are leagues ahead of the rest of us....
Even their Koalas have their own Bus Company....or was it a Bus for Koalas to get from "A" to "B"???? mmmmm :-)

Think I'm going mad...probably..

On the *** all over the...

by dave27uk

On the *** all over the place.
The Kings Cross hotel is very cool. Good looking girls and 24 hour drinking..yum yum
I lived in several different towns but my best was Dee Why beach area.. best memory is working on restoring a Russian Submarine that was docked at wooloomoloo bay wharf 11. (This is true and not a joke)
Had some mental times there, earning good money (tax free..hehe)

try all the different foods on...

by danny1979

try all the different foods on offer that you wouldn't get at home.
take a walk up the harbour bridge and take a ride on the ferries. the whole of this visit has been some thing i shell never forget for the rets of my life.

Visit the Royal Botanical...

by Ronald_T

Visit the Royal Botanical Gardens, a veritable oasis of greenery boasting views of Sydney Harbour Bridge, the city skyline and the Opera House. The gardens were the first area of cultivated land on the Australian continent and are home to the Sydney Tropical Centre with the Pyramid Glasshouse, the Herb Garden, the Fernery, the Rose Garden, a walled Cactus and Succulent Garden and, the latest addition, the Oriental Garden. It's a very nice place to spend your time on a sunny day and make a lazy day out of it. Visit for more views the Botanical Gardens travelogue please.

Seasonal Packing

by sneakye

Summer - Sydney can get very hot. It is also very humid. So bring lots of t-shirts and shorts and skirts - things that are light and that will breathe. Brining a jacket won't do you any harm either as sometimes it can get a bit cool in the evenings. Sandles and thongs are great too - especially if you intend to spend lots of time at the beach!

Winter - Winter doesn't get too cold here. I suggest you have a jacket with jeans and a long sleeved top underneath. If you are travelling to places such as blue mountains I suggest gloves and a scarf - boots and sneakers are great - and usually if it's not to cold you can wear a skirt with boots, long sleeved top and jacket and that will be plenty warm enough. We have very good medical facilities over here - but you would probably pack your usual, headache relief etc Of course lots and lots of film. If you want to capture our city / harbour by night a tripod is also suggested for landscape / panoramic shots

Comments