The Kirketon Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

simple and beautiful

It is located in the centre of Sydney's central business district Darlinghurst. The hotel is close to Hyde Park, Oxford Street and within walking distance of Sydney's cosmopolitan restaurants, theatres and shopping.Sydney Harbour, Opera House, museums, art galleries and Fitzroy Garden parks.So the location is perfect and the staff very friendly.

Unique Quality: Boutique hotel

• Never Stay at the Kirketon

Have just had one of the most dissappointing experiences dealing with the Kirketon and would recommend people to avoid this hotel at all costs. The rooms are tiny, the service unprofessional and in my experience not worth the hassle. During a conversation with staff member Adrian over a mistake they made with the final bill I said: "I dont know why you are destroying your reputation for a charge of $35.00. My whole family has said that they're never doing to stay with you again. I'm going to tell everyone I know NOT to stay at the Kirkton."
    Adrian said "well you're already going to say that anyway so I might as well charge the $35.00." What this comment tells me is that they don't value their customers and don't care who we tell not to stay at the Kirketon because we don't matter anyway. I find that completely insulting, especially when we paid over $400 to stay with them.

Unique Quality: Small rooms. Unprofessional staff. Over priced. Over rated. Would never pay to stay with them again.

Directions: About 200 metres from the Red Light district of Kings Cross with the street hookers, strip clubs, heroin addicts and neon lights.

• Great hotel in a Not-So-Great Location

The Kirketon has been described in travel magazines has a "cool" boutique hotel.

Unfortunately, no one mentioned to me that cool boutique hotels do not have elevators or sufficient drawers to store a week's worth of clothes. Fortunately, neither the elevator or lack of drawers hampered my stay a great deal as I am used to living literally "out of my luggage".

The hotel's bar and restaurant is considered one of the trendiest hangouts in Kings Cross. Service can be problematic unless you are an A-lister or the staff knows that you are a hotel guest. Fortunately, there a plenty of great restaurants within a five-minute walk from the front door.

Although the area surrounding the hotel is attractive, it is within a few blocks away from the seedy center of Kings Cross. You won't be able to avoid noticing the strip clubs or massage parlors when heading into the subway station.

Unique Quality: The hotel bar and restaurants is considered one of the trendiest in Sydney.

Directions: Kings Cross District

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Style

A self-penned 5 star boutique hotel, THe Kirketon is SERIOUSLY stylish. A recent refurbishment has overhauled the place and, while the whole establishment may lack natural light, the result is aimed at 'the cool'. You get an idea from the attached acclaimed restaurant - Salt. Look through the full length windows here and you will see a stark white room, with chrome and white furniture - no fancy, schmancy 'baubles' to detract from the straight lines here!
    So OK, the hotel isn't as stark as this, but straight lines certainly rule the waves.

Unique Quality: Rooms are quite small, but there is a small antechamber where the cupboards, mini-bar, CD and Video player are kept - so there's little clutter in the actual sleeping room. And the bathrooms - possibly one of the best showers in the price range ever!

And of course is all about location - and while some may want Harbour Views etc, personal favourire is the Darlinghurst area of the city.

Also voted recently by Conde Nast Traveller as one of 21 Hip Hotels of the World.

ONE OF MY FAVOURITES.

• SydneyGal's Profile Photo

Kirketon Hotel

Unique Quality: The Kirketon was designed to be an extremely chic yet most discreet inner-city hideaway. Iain Halliday is the architect responsible for transforming a 1920s Darlinghurst terrace into this modern and glamorous boutique-style accommodation within walking distance of clubs, bars, restaurants and cinemas. If you are into design stay here. The Hotel restaurant, Salt is one of Sydney's best places to eat.

More about The Kirketon Hotel

Good value but a little scruffy

by TripAdvisor Member Tripper99

Stayed here in January 2006 for 2 nights. I had to move from the original room which was located at the back of the hotel due to the horrendous noise created by the construction of their new restaurant - this woke me at 8am. I was subseqently moved to a much larger, much quieter room at the front of the hotel overlooking the street. As mentioned in a previous review the rooms although nice could do with a lick of paint.

Probably do better for the price.

incredibly small

by TripAdvisor Member skans

Ok, it's clean, in a trendy position, and has friendly staff. Unfortunately, the rooms are incredibly small and I stayed in a room at the front of the building - one of the bigger rooms apparently. Due to the purpose of my trip, I had to spend a lot of time in the room and I very much got cabin fever. Intolerable. I've travelled to NYC and stayed in much larger rooms!!! The plus side - the expensive but amazing restaurant. One of Sydney's finest.

Modern, clean, central, yet small

by TripAdvisor Member scott6459

Pluses:
Great location. Darlinghurst is a young, fun, area with great restaurants and shops.
Near train /subway stop.
Modern room wtih good A/C, great bathroom and shower, sleek, urban, nice decor and style
Friendly staff
Internet high speed access
nice bed and pillows.
TV hangs from above like in a hopsital.

Minuses:
small. Hard for two adults to really unpack and move around.
we lived 1/2 our of suitcases, and 1/2 we could put in closet.
No view at all. The windows overlook bridk bulding.
they have nice window shade design to hide it all, but you have no idea if it is day or night or what the weather is like.
At the time of writing, restaurant under construction as well as bar.
No lobby. Just a small table and sort of day bed.

Feel free to email me for more details, or for details about my trip to Sydney.
where to go, where to eat, tips, etc.

Friendly, Central, Clean, Compact and Bijou

by TripAdvisor Member a7ftt

Would generally agree with most of the comments, so I guess it boils down to personal preferences. Personally? We thought it was very nice.
The Kirketon is situated at the nicer end of Kings Cross, on a one-way street, about 2mins walk from the big Neon Coco Cola sign in the heart of the district. We thought that it was in the nicer end personally. The Hotel Lobby is small and just of the main street. we were greeted by very polite and very friendly staff. They took the time to make us feel genuinely welcome. Nothing was too much trouble, and they carried our (heavy) suitcases up three flights of stairs. The Hotel is fairly modern in design, but "just" starting to get slightly jaded and in need of freshening up. The Hallways are a little dark, with discreet lighting, which I quite liked. The Room we had was small, but very nicely decorated. It was all very clean, and the bed was comfortable. There was a small walk-in wadrobe, with a stereo, mini-bar and safe. The bathroom was (guess what?) small, with a lovely walk-in shower (one of those ones with a BIG shower head that makes you feel more like its raining on you.
There is so much to see and do in Sydney, that we hardly spent anytime in the room, so the fact that it was small didnt bother us. The only reason we could not justify a rating of excellent was the fact that it was small, and in need of a new lick of paint here and there (We were told that they were giving the restaurant a make-over).
If you have already booked, or are thinking of booking, dont get anxious staying here. Its fine. really!!
In the evening, there are loads of lovely places to eat if you explore areas away from Kings Cross (which was too seedy for our taste), and in the morning there are lots of lovely coffee bars, so we booked room only, and were glad we did. There are also plenty of convenience shops so getting snacks, and drinks for the room were not a problem.
Overall, we would not have any qualms about going there again.

dreadful for sydney

by TripAdvisor Member N5bella

Having travelled extensively over the past year staying at hotels and hostels from Raffles to basic hostels this hotel has to rate as the most overpriced and overrated hotels I have ever stayed in.

We were only made aware that there was extensive refurbishment work being carried out to the restaurant and bar by a discreetly placed letter in an unaddressed envelope in our room after checking in and being directed to our very small superior room. The drilling and banging noise began at 8am, I called reception to enquire if they could hold the work off until at least 9am but they could not hear me over the racket.

On check out I informed them of my displeasure but the receptionist just shrugged his shoulders.

There are much nicer, quieter, reasonably priced hotels around the area.

Comments