89-113 Kent St, Sydney, New South Wales, 2000, Australia

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Josilver's Profile Photo

Langham Hotel (formerly The Observatory)

One of the most beautiful luxurious 5 star hotels I have stayed at. It has old world charm and the rooms and service is impeccable. The rooms either havea city view or harboour view over Barangaroo.

The hotel used to be named The Observatory and has recently been taken over by the Langham group. Some little details have changed such as the shampoo and handcreams are no longer as good quality and the al la carte breakfast has been replaced by a standard buffet breakfast.

The hotel is expensive but for 5 star in the centre of Sydney is probably fairly standard price. If you look at the different booking websites and on the hotel webstie you can sometimes get special deals.

Unique Quality: The most amazing pool and spa in the basement. The pool is open to guests and spa cusotmers. The pool is indoors and has a dark blue ceiling with thousands of little lights that resemble the sky at night if you look closely you can see the southern cross. I would come here just to use the pool if I could afford it.

The hotel has an outstanding resturuant called Galileo. The food is amazing, however since being taken over by the Langham the wait staff have changed and are not quite as attentive as previously. They also no longer have a sommelier.

• katjamcd's Profile Photo

Starry, starry swimming pool!

With its magical indoor starry sky over the swimming pool, the Observatory is an extra special luxury hotel.

Read more and get details on my website:

Unique Quality: Star filled ceiling over the swimming pool

• snwbnnyinoz's Profile Photo

Sydney's Best Exclusive Hotel

This hotel runs with pure luxury. You are pampered from the moment you arrive. The room was furnished in antiques and every possible thing was supplied or could be got by the concierge. The bathtub was about 8' long. The shower large enough for a small army. 2 Entertainment Systems including TV's, DVD players etc.
    I would love to be able to always stay in hotels like this but every once in a while you must pamper yourself.
    Price was an expensive $800 per night.

More about Observatory Hotel Sydney (The)

I stayed here at the PARK...

by Adriani

I stayed here at the PARK HYATT HOTEL (brownish building on the left side of photo, just behind this awesome looking boat/ yacht. It is such a lovely place. However, because I came during the most peak period (Christmas), I did not manage to get a room with a lovely view of the harbour. Instead, they gave me a room facing the side street, at the bottom of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Not funny since I paid quite a bit for this hotel room. Next time, I am going to stay at the Ritz Carlton or The Observatory Hotel. The deluxe rooms are large, very large by normal standards. Can't complain about the amenities provided here to their guests. When I was here the last time, I overheard the Reception Desk (at the lobby) mentioning that Elton John had just checked in!!! Too bad. I didn't get to see him.

Millers Point - Top Restaurants.

by Openseas about Millers Point -

Millers Point

Galileo - Observatory Hotel - French/Japanese - 92562215 *For Atmosphere and food

Nelsons Hotel Brasserie - Lord Nelson Hotel - Contemporary - 92514044

Nice hotel, but location not as good as Four Seasons

We had a hard time deciding between The Observatory and the Four Seasons when we visited Sydney, so we tried both out. While both are nice and have top-notch service, here's how I'd describe the basic differences.

The Observatory feels a lot smaller and more personal. However, the location isnt as central as the Four Seasons, and there is no view.

The Four Seasons is a much bigger property and therefore doesnt feel as personal, but its location couldn't be better. We had a harbor view room that had an absolutely stunning postcard-like view of the bridge and opera house.

Excellent Concierge

We stayed for one evening with our toddler. The bathroom is terrific, the rooms large and "grande dame" in feeling. They set up a complete baby amenity set for us and had the cot ready before we arrived-well done! One lovely thing about the rooms is that they have a private hallway (where we put the cot with the door slightly open-much easier for all to go to bed.) The concierge staff were terrific and breakfast very good. Yes, the view isn't much, the location is a bit removed from the Quay, but this is not why you choose this type of hotel. It's about service and old-fashioned style. It is expensive and comfortable.

Really Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Spira

I use Trip Advisor for ALL my hotel stays and recommend it to friends. In this case it was well off the mark and I am surprised because in all other cases it has been spot on.

I can't believe this is in the Leading Hotels of the World book alongside other Australian hotels such as Versace - no comparison and the Versace is cheaper!

The hotel is at best 3-4 Star. Staff seem scarce, no-one to help with bags on arrival and a little bit snobby when they do finally appear - except for the porter an older gentleman - nice guy (who admitted they gave us a smaller "not as nice" room previously when bringing new keys).

Someone mentioned the location as not being as good as the Four Seasons, I agree but does anyone mention how rough the area around the Observatory is?

To say we felt intimidated is mild when walking just next door and down the street to see piles of rubbish, people hanging out of windows shouting abuse at each other, urine stench, the rubbish consisting of a computer screen, beer crates, general household effects at the base of the trees lining the road. This isn't happening up the 'other end' of the road this is opposite (view from our room) and next door to the hotel and all down the road.

Knowing the area is so poor more could be done re: security - the balcony door on our room was loose and gaping and easily accessible from outside.

Rooms are tired, the furniture is in poor condition, decor and drapes need an overhaul too. Public areas are scruffy and dirty in places. Given free strawberries covered in sugar very pretty the flies like them too! Also given free champagne in each room.

What also bugs me is the way a lot of hotels and in particular this one, give you a 'dud' room first and expect you to be happy and you have to approach them again to get what you paid for.

Given this was the most expensive time of year (for New Year's) we were obviously paying a lot to stay and it wasn't worth the money. When we did complain the attitude was very poor and inflexible and immediately they referred to it as a 'legal' issue and therefore they would not refund us a penny. It is on their booking form it is non-refundable but what can you do when you and your children don't feel safe somewhere? Why would anyone pay to feel unsafe when all they have to do is provide somewhere clean, comfortable and safe?

We left and very luckily - given it was the day before New Year's eve got a cancellation at the lovely Shangri-la - a much better hotel and should be much higher in the ratings in my opinion.

For information we did go back again two days later to take some more photos to make sure it wasn't just an 'off' day - it wasn't!! Drunks again shouting outside the hotel and across the road by the tennis courts and even more rubbish. This was in the daytime and whilst you could use the New Year's jubilations (extended!) as an excuse I doubt it was the reason. Ver dodgy area.

Not No. 1

I agree with another poster and think the reviews for this hotel are manipulated somewhat.

I don't think this should be listed as the number one hotel in Sydney. There are definitely better hotels around, e.g. Four Seasons, Shangri-la, Park Hyatt etc. etc. etc.

The location is poor to say the least and the comment, 'you go to the Observatory for comfort, service and old world charm etc. etc. rather than location' is used a little too often for my liking.

Not the best hotel experience

Having studied the web site we were disappointed when we arrived. We unloaded our bags onto the street as there isn't a lobby of visible drop off area. Agree with previous review the location is poor. We had 2 rooms over the street with view of tennis courts, rubbish, locals etc. The hotel was ok but we expected much more. Our rooms were tired and needed some work. The decor was a mismatch and did not create a relaxed feel. We changed rooms but that did not help. The public areas ie lifts, lobbies and corridors we used were grubby and had an 'old world smell'. Next time we'll stay closer to the actual Rocks area, too far to walk from the main areas.

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member Lovingagoodholiday

Our first impression of the hotel was poor due to the lack of interest from the hotel staff. You would think the check-in person owned the hotel the way she acted! No offer was made to take our bags to the room, and the general attitude was definitely offputting.

Room was quite charming, four poster bed, nice sitting room and balcony.

Dinner in Galileo's Restaurant was a disappointment. Staff were ridiculously snobby (perhaps they had shares in the hotel as well) and the food was average to say the least.

Breakfast was a little better; but it felt like we were seated in a library ... everyone was whispering.

Won't be visiting again, much prefer the Shangri-la.

Comments