The Palms Backpackers

Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Sydney

Steak Frites in Peppercorn SauceSteak Frites in Peppercorn Sauce

The sculpture in front of the Whiteley houseThe sculpture in front of the Whiteley house

Christmas GaloreChristmas Galore

Outside seating area of Golden Harbour RestaurantOutside seating area of Golden Harbour Restaurant

WIFI in Sydney

by expatbangkok

What's the best way to access WIFI in Sydney. I will be staying at a serviced apartment in Kent St. in the CBD that only has an office centre, but not an internet connect or WIFI in the room?

Cheers

by kennyboi

I think there are a few restaurants and coffee places offering free wifi if you are their customer. Failing that, there are internet cafes all over the place for about $1-2 an hour.

by srinpav

buy a cheeseburger at mcdonalds. They have free wifi at the mcdonalds in brisbane so i'm sure it would be the same in sydney. You can sit in there as long as you like, perhaps just refill your coffee every hour or so.
Hope this helps.

by expatbangkok

Was sort of looking for a service that I could connect to at the apartment as I need to chat on Google with my daughters. We have it city wide in Bangkok so was hoping this service was available in Sydney.

by jilda

hi
Three (3) telephone company does a prepaid mobile service with USB modem supplied. Vodaphone and telstra bigpond also have wireless broadband but not sure if u have to sign up for them. Telstra boasts a wider network coverage and I believe this is true as I recently went to rural Western Australia and was stuck with a slow connection from 3 (gprs). Suggest u check their websites for deals. You can walk in and sign up for prepaid at retail outlets but i beleive there is a security issue which has been applied more recently as in traceablility and identity. As a resident this was not a problem to me but not sure how that works with non residents.

Hope this helps, enjoy your stay.
j

by lynee

I sat in a macdonalds for 5 hours doing an assignment on the net whilst on Holidays, and used it at Maccas at other times as well. No problems. Usually buy a coffee or sundae and no one has ever said anything to me about spending so much time there. The last place even showed me where to plug in my computer so I could keep working as it charged. Also many RSL /leagues clubs have a free wifi hotspot as do many libraries.

by expatbangkok

Cheers, I needed it and found it at my serviced apartment though a bit expensive at $50 for 5 days.

Travel Tips for Sydney

Stay in a hotel with a view...

by bobuk

Stay in a hotel with a view (if you have lot's of money or are on a business trip). My hotel had a spectacular view of the harbour and the opera house. Good to wake up to.
p.s I don't have lots of money and I was on a business trip (lucky me !).

Night view of the Opera House

by Gypsystravels

The Sydney Opera House at night is so beautiful. We were lucky enough to have a suite on the executive floor of the Sydney Marriott, Circular Quay. The views from our room, not to mention the ones from the exexutive dining room were spectacular!! Peeking out from the executive dining room window with fantastic views to go along with the Champagne.

Can you Imagine being in...

by ombre

Can you Imagine being in Sydney one week before the games and not being able to stay.
Well thats what happened to me this week.The buzz around Sydney is really great and any one who attends the games will surely have memories to last forever. The more I travel to Sydney the more I find I like it.
There is so much to see and do in Sydney that you really need alot at least a week to see enough to really start to get a feel for the place.
Try the markets around the rocks there is plenty to see and do there.

Aussie Slang

by Gypsystravels

Definitely learn some all important Aussie Slang so you won't look lost when an Aussie is talking to you.

Following is a short list of some words you may use on a "night" out of drinking:

G'day mate : pleasure to met you
Biotto : drunk, inebriated pass the capacity to stand
Rack off: your presence is no longer required - "get lost"
Wanna rag: want to drink large amounts of alcohol with me until we both pass out?
Chunder: the all too delicate act of regurgitation
Give it a go you mug!: are you incapable of performing this act?

Packing List

by photobf

Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen Sun screen!!!!

Comments