Victoria Court Hotel Sydney

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Arts and Culture Backpacking
See Amenities
Miguelzgz's Profile Photo

Good location, beware with the cheapest room

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 9, 2008

We have mixed emotions from that hotel.
Location is superb, and staff is polite, correct and helpfull. It is easy to conect to the airport or to reach there from the airport.

Breakfast is good and more than enough.

Price was not very expensive, but the problem is that the cheapest room(the one we booked) is VERY diferent to what they show in their website. Small window, lots of stairs, small room, and the toilet(private use, but in another floor of the building) is far, far away from your room...specialy in the middle of the night, when you NEED to use the toilet, and you don´t know exactly how to reach to it!

Anyway, I recomend that hotel. You get what you pay for...and that is what it is all about.

850prc's Profile Photo

A few more words about the Victoria Court. : )

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 19, 2005

I needed another tip to say a few more words about the Victoria Court Hotel in Sydney.

First things first..... I would absolutely stay here again. Coming TO Australia, I admit that I had some second thoughts about the hotel being so close to King's Cross. Some of my VT friends probably got tired of me writing to you about this concern. Thanks to all of you for your advice.

The Cross turned out to be absolutely no factor. In fact, having it nearby kind of makes the neighborhood a little more alive....so many younger kids around. Now, no worries...these kids are no problem, it's quiet and night and the streets are gentle and safe. But, the old neighborhood has a life. It's hard to describe, but believe me, it's there.

So yes, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. And FYI, if the Court were unable to make a booking, I'd look into another Victorian place called "The Hughendon", a hotel that I learned about AFTER I got to Sydney. It seems nice, too.

Unique Quality: We really enjoyed watching the nutty cockatoos playing in the trees outside of our room. We also liked the friends and family atmosphere at the hotel. One nice little feature is that they have a full-sized refrigerator downstairs, just off the breakfast area. You can buy snacks, fruits, etc at the local grocery stores, and can store them in the fridge.

Other nice features....
Room safe
Storage of your luggage at the hotel beyond checkout time. Also, assuming that you get into Sydney early, the Victoria Court will welcome you almost anytime, so long as the room is ready. If it's not quite ready, you're welcome to store your stuff and have a cup of coffee across the street at the Craic Pott, while Chris gets the maid redirected to your waiting room.

They'll take care of you here.

Directions: See previous tip.

850prc's Profile Photo

Victorian comfort at Potts Point

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 19, 2005

I found the Victoria Court the way I find so many of my travel hotels......I went to Google and typed in "Sydney, hotels, bed and breakfast..." Victoria Court was one of the entries. I wrote to them and received a lovely and personal answer from Chris and Victoria Bahr, the owner/managers of the place. THIS is one thing that often sways me as I pick a hotel. I like a place whose staff seems to REALLY want us to visit. Chris and Victoria were that way. So first and foremost, you'll receive a kind and hearty welcome at the Victoria Court.

One thing that put many folks off about this hotel was its proximity to King's Cross, the notorious red-light district of Sydney. It's true, the Cross is only a few blocks over. And, the Victoria Court shares space on shady Victoria Street with numerous backpacker hotels. It's an older section of town.

But, it has SUCH character. If you like leafy suburbs, Victorian charm and the effect of living in a real neighborhood, THIS is your place. I became friends with the corner grocer. I became friends with Ray, the laundromat guy. I had a running political talk going with the young kid down at the nearby takeway restaurant. Hell, even the owner's dog over at the Internet Cafe liked me. I like being in a place where the locals welcome you into the fold.

And the Cross? No worries. Not a single one. We actually went over there one day, and it's pretty mild stuff, actually.

Unique Quality: Comfort, character, a warm welcome, a sense of being part of the household.

Being a bed and breakfast, the Victoria Court serves a morning meal. That was perhaps my only suggestion for improvement. They need a little variety. Maybe one day they could have different fruit and cereals, for example. But, a lot can be forgiven when you always get a cup of perfectly-brewed hot coffee in the morning. And the Court delivers that cup of perfect Joe.

We also loved the little Victorian reading room, which is shown in the next tip.

Directions: From Hyde Park, ie the center of town... Take Williams Street towards King Cross. Turn left on Victoria Street. Go about three blocks, and you'll see the Victoria Court on the right.

Nearby Victoria Court Hotel Sydney

• Shuttle Service
  • Airport Transportation
  • Free High Speed Internet

Sydney Travel Forum

Need advice about Sydney, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Sydney and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sydney hotel reviews

Holiday Inn Darling Harbour (68 Harbour Street Sydney Nsw 2000)
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews