61 Richmond Rd, Windsor, Hawkesbury Valley, 2756, Australia

Agoda.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Spend your money elsewhere

Staying at this hotel was such an experience I have been inspired to write my first ever hotel review.

Firstly, I'll say that the two stars I have given are for the night-time kitchen staff who were very helpful and professional and were able to cater to my dietary needs with a minimum of fuss. The food they provided was lovely.

But - when you first enter reception, you are presented with a spankingly clean and new looking room with all the trimmings. Sadly, this is only skin deep and does not extend to the rest of the resort. My room was dark and shabby, with scuffed outdated furniture and a horrible mouldy smell. The grouting around the bath was stained, the bath plug didn't fit, the window sills and kettle were dirty - you get the picture.

Deciding I'd make the best of it anyway, I went in search of a coffee. I received brusk attention from the bar staff and a coffee so burnt it was barely palatable.

The $20 buffet breakfast the next morning was nothing short of shocking and another let down for a now coffee deprived decaf drinker like myself. There was no filtered decaf available, and I was offered a sachet of instant instead. Weirdly the poached eggs had been cooked in vinegar and tasted so foul I had to spit them out into a napkin. Not being a tea drinker or cereal person, I eventually opted for some luke warm scrambled eggs and a cup of hot water. Other patrons were pacing the restaurant in search of 'normal' coffee which strangely could not be found. Eventually it appeared with a waitress who circled the room dispensing it for a short period before disappearing again, leaving yet more customers wandering around with confused looks on their faces. This was so bizarre I can only think that they are attempting to ration the stuff.

I made my first ever hotel complaint upon checking out and received no apology, no offer of discount, nothing. Suffice to say I won't be returning.

• Cockroaches. Disgusting.

The grounds were nice. That is about the best I can say about it.

The staff were minimally helpful. The room service dinner was extremely overpriced and very avergae (over $30 for cold lamb cutlets and $17 for a piece of chocolate cake that might as well have been from the supermarket freezer). The accomodation was old and dated. The breakfast buffet was greasy and cold.

The heater would not work. The supposedly complimentary wireless internet would not work.

And to top it all off when I went to the bathroom in the night there were FIVE MASSIVE cockroaches on the bathroom bench, one on my toothbrush and one IN my makeup purse.

I seldom complain, I just do not go back. This time I did however, as I checked out, and was given a filthy look and was tole 'I will pass it on, here is your bill'. I have no doubt that is as far as it went.

Disgusting. And I will let everyone know.

• Mar 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Just returned from a conference held at the Sebel. Conference facilities were great, the grounds were awesome - but the accomodation is very overpriced. $200 per night for a room with no mini bar or snacks, no cold water provided in the fridge, no room service menu nor information brochures to let you know what is in the area. TV channels lost signal strength (halfway through Masterchef!!). Planes from the air base sound as if they are about to land in your room. Staff are nice and friendly. I expected a bit more for the money I paid....