The Sands Resort

The Sands Resort
Agoda.com Booking.com

More about Yamba

Way to goWay to go

Time for a restTime for a rest

Now fully automatedNow fully automated

Sunset in Yamba photo by BeebeeSunset in Yamba photo by Beebee

Travel Tips for Yamba

Yamba

by Openseas

"General Information."

Yamba is a wonderful little village, with heaps of water based activities available for the river, beach and ocean; it makes a perfect holiday destination. www.yamba.nsw.gov.au www.clarencecoast.info .

Whilst in Yamba, take the ferry across to Illuka and spend a day at the local pub and have the best seafood for lunch.

For accommodation try www.freespiritresorts.com.au and for something gorgeous www.ontherocks.com.au .

For dinner visit the local pub ,which sits proudly overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

A Mighty Wind

by Favzoz

"I Went to See Russell Crowe but Found More"

I went to Yamba because I went to see Russell Crowe. Thirty Odd Foot of Grunts did a show at the Yamba Bowling Club. They are a fun bar band (although I'm not sure they'd wish to be tagged as such-but I do like them) and I like to listen to their music when I travel. And Crowded House...I never tire of them. If you see me in an airport, I will in all likelihood be wearing earphones & keeping time to their music.

In his opening comments Mr. Crowe tried to incorporate something about the locale into his remarks. He'd been told that "yamba" means wind...but not just any wind...a mighty BIG wind. Hm. Would I have learned that if I hadn't gone to the show...or Yamba? I'm not sure.

One thing I do know. My teenager, who I "forced" to go with me, stood for most of the show shifting his weight from one foot to the other, trying to be interested...but having a bit of difficulty convincing me or himself. That is, until the band did a rousing rendition of Johnny Cash's Folsom Prison Blues! (I, on the other hand, had a GREAT time the entire evening because I knew all the songs and sang along!) That song pulled him in and the whole place was having a rocking, fun time! I guess he would say, "it was an experience." I give him kudos for putting up with my idiosyncratic interests and for going along for the ride!

"The Port of Yamba"

Yamba is Australia's eastern most seaport, located at the mouth of the Clarence River. The Clarence, NSW's largest river, has over a 100 islands. Bundjalung and Yuragir National Parks are nearby. New South Wales' second largest fishing fleet makes its home here. It is a three hours drive, south, from Brisbane and nine hours north of Sydney along the Pacific Highway. There is a lighthouse at Yamba, for those interested in such; very picturesque. The climate is subtropical. I was there in August and it was sunny and warm during the day, evenings a bit cooler.

Yamba has a walking trail which takes you around the village and along the beach. There is a lovely jetty, where you can walk. I could have sat there for hours contemplating the ocean. If you need to renew yourself, Yamba is highly recommended as a place to give it a go! There seemed to be lots of hotels and getaway places in Yamba, discreetly tucked into the village. You can get everywhere on foot. I enjoyed walking, even though we had a car.

I took a walk early one morning and watched a gentleman who'd just come in from fishing cleaning his catch and tossing the leftovers to the hungrily assembled pelicans. They must be used to this ritual as they were all lined up and ready. The fresh air and beautiful views were bonuses.

Yamba is a gem worth visiting and spending time in. We only scratched the surface of things there. It deserves a lot more attention than I had time to give.I can't wait to return one day!

Comments