3 Hermitage Drive, Airlie Beach, Australia
Booking.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 24% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Airlie Beach

View on the harbourView on the harbour

A yacht at an Airlie private dockA yacht at an Airlie private dock

white sand & turquoise waters of Whitehavenwhite sand & turquoise waters of Whitehaven

Modern Australian Architecture at Airlie BeachModern Australian Architecture at Airlie Beach

Want to see more of Outer Reef - best bet???

by virginia29

I've already booked a 3-day Pacific Sunrise cruise through the Whitsunday Islands for my family of 5. This cruise should be amazing, and will offer us a chance for us to snorkel, cruise, etc to various Whitsunday islands. But I am thinking that to supplement and experience as much of the Great Barrier Reef as possible, I should find a seaplane tour that covers more of the Outer Reef. I see some Air Whitsunday tours (some that are "just" an hour flight, some that include a flight out to Whitehaven beach and private pontoon station in reef, etc). I've also seen helicopter flights over the reef offered. Please offer me some advice if you know if this makes sense. Is snorkeling during the PC cruise sufficient (given a budget that DOES eventually have a limit), or would I regret not doing more on one of the tour provider's pontoons, say. I am assuming this latter arrangement puts you out further in the reef than the Whitsundays.... I am definitely interested in doing the seaplane flight, at a minimum. Is anyone familiar with the Air Whitsunday tours??

THANKS!

Re: Want to see more of Outer Reef - best bet???

by aussirose

Hi Virginia. Sounds like a wonderful holiday you have planned there! :o) Well we visited the Whitsundays last year as part of the big vt downunder meet and did a sea flight from Hamilton Island to the outter reef and the famous Whitehaven beach. We had a fantastic time! ...and I totally recommend it! ... Here is my travelogue of the journey - http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/ae105/#TL

Whatever you do...a trip to Whithaven beach is not to be missed! I have the low down of a couple of day trips that we did on my Airlie Beach pages if you are interested.

Have a great holiday!!!

Cheers, Ann :o)

Travel Tips for Airlie Beach

September

by Couplesynergy

September is the most popular time of year to visit the Whitsunday area including Airlie Beach. The locals say that winter only lasts two weeks and that has already come and gone. It is the end of the whale watching season so there will probably be a few still about but it is also the start of the marine stinger season so when you go snorkeling make sure that you wear a stinger suit. Everyone has them. Airlie Beach is a real party town with lots of backpackers and every night seems like a Friday night. Make sure that you take a trip out to the reef on a yacht or something. There are hundreds of choices at offices along the main street of Airlie Beach. The Sailing Club is a great place for a drink or a meal as is the new Oyster Bar Barrcudas which is located at Abel Point Marina, a 10 minute walk along the water from Airlie Beach. Have fun.

Whitsunday Island

by CandS

We spent some time on and around Whitsunday Island... We anchored at Cid Habour, Turtle Bay, Whitehaven Beach and Tongue Bay. We also did some good hikes, fishing, snorkelling, swimming and relaxing there.

Whitsunday Island is the biggest of the islands and is well known because of the amazing Whitehaven Beach.

On Whitsunday Island you will find camping facilities, toilets, picnic areas and tap water at various locations around the island.

Happy Hour Coctails at Cactus Jacks

by aussirose

And of course you can't miss Happy Hour at Cactus Jacks especially if you have built up a thirst walking the board walk ;o) Happy Hour is from 5-7pm daily and you will find Cactus Jacks at the Airlie Beach Hotel. If you love Maragritas, then why not visit Cactus Jacks on a Wednesday night where they have what is known as ‘Margaritaville!’ with Margaritas and Mexican Beers at happy hour prices all night. Now that's worth a visit I say!!

Anyway we rocked down to Cactus Jacks on Sunday evening after our all afternoon lunchen and I had my first Margarita....a Godzilla Gold!! Well it was wonderful!! .....

I'd say this is the place to go for coctail happy hour!!! ;o)

Camel riding.

by lou31

Looking for something a bit different?...take a stroll down to the beach and check out the camels.

There are five of them. They all seemed well mannered and quiet. I especially loved the colourful gear they were 'dressed' in.

Looked like something straight out of Arabia!

Cost was $15 a ride.

They also offer one and four hour beach rides on Sundays.

Airlie Beach

by robertgaz

"Airlie Beach"

Airlie Beach is a major tourist destination in the Whitsunday Region of Queensland.

Along with the adjacent Shute Harbour it is one of the main embarkation points for both the gorgeous Whitsunday Islands and the famous Great Barrier Reef.

It has a small beach and there is plenty of accommodation, restaurants, shops and tour operators.

"Airlie Beach"