Clifton Palms

Josephine FallsJosephine Falls

Terns on Michealmas CayTerns on Michealmas Cay

Job

by jdu14369

I have a question about jobs in Cairns. I'm from Canada and was able to retain a holiday work visa that allows me to work odds jobs for up to 3 months. I don't believe I'll have a problem finding work. This is my problem, my boyfriend is from the US and they don't offer working visas for US citizens. We have money, but is there anyway he can get some kind of job over there? We have contacted the AU immigration about options, but they really don't like americans. does anyone know something I don't???? Cheers

by JennysTravels

10yrs ago when I lived in OZ, I stayed at the hostels. There are alot of construction places that call hostels in the morning and offer under the table work. It's sparatic but will help out with daily allowances. I had the same 3 month working visa and worked several different jobs at the same time. Good luck, have fun. In my opinion, not Cairns. Sydney rocked! There are plenty of brilliant suburbs with the beach. Good luck.

by 1+1

I think you'll find these things are based on reciprocal arrangements between governments. Probably the US government wouldn't agree to these arrangements, because Australia has them with a lot of countries.

by Travmad

I agree with Zig on that one. The US is not part of the commonwealth as Canada is. It's easier for commonwealth countries to get a work visa between one another. The US makes it difficult to obtain that type of casual work visa in turn Australia doesn't just dole them out to Americans.
Your boyfriend should be able to pick up odd jobs without much of a problem. As was said before construction, pubs, hostels, fruit picking. Banana picking is hard work but it's there. Campgrounds are always looking for temp help cleaning up. Good luck and enjoy.

by margsch

At the risk of being a wet blanket, I have to add that employers are fined big money if found employing people without a work permit, I had 2 young chaps from Germany staying with me and no-one would employ them, they ended up having to go back early as they couldn,t find work.
I live in a fruit growing area and assumed they would easily get just a few week,s work but it didn,t happen. Government inspectors are on the lookout for illegal workers and rock up at camp grounds doing spot checks.

by Anne12

I can't understand why the hell we don't allow working visa's for US backpackers. This is news too me and I think it stinks.
Anyway, you will get work in Cairns if you have a working visa. The work available is usually pub/cafe' work, plus retail or something similair.
They have now changed the 3 month thing, I think if you check you will find that you can do 6 months now with one employee.
Your partner will probably get some work with under the counter stuff. Some places still do this as it saves the paper work. I know they pay cash at places around Cairns and Port Douglas areas.
Seeing as you have a working visa you will be in the position to be the look out for your partner, just ask around for him. Kitchenhand stuff etc is one good cash in hand type work.

The best time to come to this area and find work is between May to September, this is the high season. If you arrive in May/end of May this will give you a head start.

Cheers
Anne

Travel Tips for Cairns

See a Cassawery in the wild

by tropical459

When we were in Cairns we hired a campervan and went down the coast. We ended up in a little site on the seafront. It was perfect. Every evening a wild Cassawery would strut his stuff along the beach. They are extremely rare and to spot one in the wild is considered highly unlikely.
We loved Etty Bay so much we stayed for 3 days. Every night we would wait for the appearance of the Cassawery and we were not disappointed.

The famous Aussie Sunday Sessions

by Gypsygirl05 about Cairns Bars

Every Sunday, many bars in Cairns have something called a Sunday Session. Typically starting around 5 pm, certain drinks are 2-for-1. It's a good deal and a great way to meet people, because many locals and tourists know about the deal.

All You Can Eat Seafood!

by grkboiler about ???? located at Pier Marketplace

Forgive me for not remembering the name of this place, but it is located on the 2nd floor of the Pier Marketplace, and has views overlooking the ocean. All you can eat for a decent price. I think it cost me about AU$20. They had prawns, shellfish, many varieties of fish, crabs, and sides such as chips and salad.

Of course, when you eat at a buffet, the food quality isn't as good as it would be when its cooked especially for you, but it was good enough.

Great Barrier Reef

by helsbels

Snorkelling out on the reef is a must. There are probaly loads of boat trips offering this fantastic opportunity. Be careful not to touch or kick any of the coral as (i'm sure they will warn you) if takes hundreds of years to grow back and is endangered. Amazing colours, fish, coral, sea. amazing. You can't possibly visit Cairns and not go out to see the reef.

Frankland Islands

by grkboiler

Frankland Islands Cruise & Dive runs a great tour to the uninhabited Frankland Islands. These islands are part of a national park and are located off the coast a short drive south of Cairns. It was a small group of about 100 and was mostly families - I was the only person travelling alone.

There are 2 accessible islands - Normanby and Mabel. The islands were paradise. The beach is beautiful, there is good snorkeling, and there is plenty to explore on your own. Lunch was excellent and was served by the Red Ochre Grill.

This tour is perfect for people with small children or for people who just want to relax. It cost about AU$140 for an adult, $70 for a child, or a package of $350 for a family of 2 adults and 2 children. For a little extra, they will drop you off at Russell Island and leave you there overnight for a camping trip - but you will have to bring your own supplies.

Comments