255 The Esplanade, Cairns, Cairns District, 4870, Australia
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

More about Cairns

A snake we saw from the boatA snake we saw from the boat

Jumping for Norman...this is wisedancerJumping for Norman...this is wisedancer

Daintree RiverDaintree River

Cairns Wildlife DomeCairns Wildlife Dome

Cairns weather and accommodation

by spacyn88

Hi,

We are planning for a 10-12 days trip to Cairns, QLD. We'll doing skydive, bungy, hot air balloon, white water raft, have fun at the Great Reef.

Considering the activities and the weather, should I go in Mid Mar or Apr?

We dont drive, do you have any recommendation on where should I stay, Carins Esplanade, Carins Beach?

Thanks in advance :)

Hello,

The weather in Cairns can still be hot and cyclonic in March/April--one never really knows what the season will bring--if I was you I would come in April as that is nearer to the end of the wet season.

There are a lot of accomodation places along the Cairns Esplanade but I am not quite sure what range or type of accommodation you are looking for--backpackers,apartments,hotels or guest houses?

Most of the activities you mention above will pick you up from your accommodation and drop you off.

Here is link to Cairns

www.cairns.com.au
www.standbycairns.com

Budget accommodation www.travellerscastle.com.au

Hope this will give you a start--if not get back to me via email on my home page as I am a Cairns local.

Hello its me again---
here's another link that will help you with different accommodation on offer in Cairns.
cairns.com.au/holidays

Cairns and areas (including Port Douglas/Daintree and Cape Tribulation)are within reach for those who don't drive and are all nice in my opinion and as I said if you need to know anything email me on my homepage.

Regards Dorrise

by spacyn88

Thanks Dorrise :)

I have yet to decide on hotel or self catering apartments. I'm thinking if we should stay near to the Esplanade. I'm a bit confused here, city centre and the Esplanade are in different area, right?

Any recommendation on 4* hotels or apartments?

Are there any factory outlets?

by tropicrd

Cairns is only 4 blocks in any direction--City Place is in the middle and only a stroll to the Esplanade.

Southern Cross Atrium Apartments is 4 star accommodation.It is near the Cairns Central Shopping Centre--within walking distance to the Esplanade--has a bus stop acroos the road.

www.southerncrossapartments.com
Address-- 3-11 Water Street,Cairns
Ph (area code) 07 40802700
Most have views but you may need to ask.

If you go into the website cairns.com.au/accommodation--it will show you all the apartments available.

Yes we have a factory outlet DFO situated on the bus route at Westcourt,approx 4 klms from the city centre.

www.dfo.com.au

Hope this helps.

by npamo

We stayed at the Hides Hotel in Cairns (http://www.hideshotel.com.au/). nothing fancy but near the Esplanade and Reef Terminal. We went there in April and got wet when we visited Green Island as well as Kuranda. Try to bring something to protect you from the rain as you never know when it will fall.

Travel Tips for Cairns

Where in the World is Cairns?

by ATXtraveler

So you have come here to learn a little bit about Cairns did you?

Do you know where this place is located?

Cairns is located in Tropical North Queensland, which is on the upper right hand corner of Australia. The interesting fact about this is that it is as far away from Brisbane (which is the capital of Queensland) as Brisbane is away from Melbourne. That means that people from Queensland even have to get in a plane to go visit Cairns.

Having said that, Cairns is located 15000 kilometers from New York!

Cape Tribulation

by helsbels

Take a few days to see Cape Tribulation. Most trips run from Cairns and return you afterwards. A proper back to nature kinda place where the ocean meets the jungle!

See Daintree Page for more details.

BUS

by Anne12

The Cairns city and outer areas have a rather good reliable Bus system.

Sunbus is the company. You can catch these around town and the main depot in the city is in Lake Street. Here you can see signs with routes and times on them.

If you are going to one of the Northern Beaches or Port Douglas you can find the bus at the airport, you can also buy a ticket here.This is the company that do this...Sun Palm Express
If you are travelling in a group it could be cheaper to hire a car for the day, pick up at airport and drop at Port Douglas.

Sunbus (city bus)
Australia Coach (airport bus)
Sun Palm Express (Cairns to Port Douglas/Daintree)
Whitecar Coaches (Cairns to Tablelands)
Country Road Coaches (Cairns to Cooktown)
Greyhound-Pioneer (interstate)
McCafferty’s (interstate)
Premier Motor Service (interstate)
Queensland Rail (trains)

Excellent Thai food.

by colin_bramso about Star of Siam

Run by a Thai family, a friendly, fairly large restaurant with a good menu.
They also ask you to advise them of any food allergies you have - very helpful. Yum Nua (beef salad). I love the mixture of lemon juice, mint leaves and chilli.
Gai Yang (BBQ chicken). Boneless chicken in tumeric, garlic, coriander marinade, with sweet chilli sauce.
Pad Kra Pra. Pan fried meat with hot chilli & basil.

Dive the Reef

by dlandt

The Great Barrier Reef offers some of the most spectacular diving in the world and to miss it would be a true shame. I can only describe the experience as being one in which I felt like I was actually inside a tank of exotic fish. Numerous companies offer dives, but I strongly recommend that you certify before you go. You get treated with more respect, you dive first, you're not nannied. Just as a diver, I don't think this is a good place to learn. The salt, the waves, the hustle, the time, the number of students, all this contributes to a rushed and incomplete training package that won't get you killed, but will lessen your enjoyment. If I were to recommend one thing above all, certify before you go!

Comments