Inn Cairns Boutique Holiday Apartments

Shoreline of Green IslandShoreline of Green Island

The owner...ElizabethThe owner...Elizabeth

Curtain Fig TreeCurtain Fig Tree

Holloways BeachHolloways Beach

Barron River or Tully River rafting?

Hi,
I have done full day Tully River rafting many years back and enjoyed it very much. I am going back to Cairns again this December. Prices have gone up quite a bit for rafting since the last time I was there, and I am looking at 1/2 day Barron River this time to save a bit of money and also to try a different river. The website states that Barron is a grade 3 while Tully is a grade 4.

Any comments on Barron and how is it compared to Tully? Any body tried both rivers before? I read a web review of complains about how dry the Barron is and to go to Tully instead which got me worried.

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

by Anne12

Hi there,
I haven't done the rafting, that is one thing I that is not on my list of things to do here. But I have seen the Barron River area where the rafting is done. I saw the rafters carrying their rafts as there wasn't enough water to go through. This was in the dry season and I found out that it all depends on the water that they let out of the Hydro area, as what the rafting is like there. I actually thought it was a rip off. Pay good money and carry a raft, bugger that!!!
We are having rain now, not a lot, but by December there should be more,and they may let out more water at this time of year, so the Barron area could be good.
I would check how much water there is when you arrive here.

by 1+1

I had booked to raft the North Johnstone River a couple of years back but unfortunately Cyclone Larry wiped it out. Haven't had time to get back to it. The advantage there is that water is released for rafting, part of the cost is a fee for that. I haven't done the other rivers but have heard that North Johnstone River is better.

Thanks Anne12.

It'll be terrible if we ever need to carry the raft in a river :(

by picknick

I don't think they offer 1/2 day North Johnstone rafting.

Travel Tips for Cairns

A Please and Thankyou :)

by Anne12

I work in the hospitality sector and one this that really annoys me is that some people have no clue as to using some manners!
If you are getting good service, or even bad, just a please may I have, or a thankyou after the transaction can make a worker happy.

Yes, some people in retail and hospitality don't really deserve this, but do it anyway, this might make them change:) ( well, I can only hope)

The Typical Mall

by bijo69 about Cairns Central

This huge shopping mall occupies a whole block between McLeod and Bunda Streets. You can find all kinds of shops here aswell as supermarkets, travel agencies, a post office and even the train station here! Anything

Great Indian food!

by jackfruit about Marinades

Very different fare compared to other Indian restaurants in Cairns. If you wanna sample the best indian food in cairns, this is where you should be headed. A south indian eggplant dish. Ask for the "house special eggplant dish". They'll know what you are talking about.

I hired a car from and drove to Mossman Gorge

by megamary

I arrived in Cairns at around 8am on Monday morning, and gave Cairns Older Car Hire a call on their freephone from the airport. They were really friendly and actually came to PICK ME UP FREE OF CHARGE from the airport. I hired a car for $270 for the week and it was reallly good because they did not pile on all the 'extras' I drove about 50km north to Mossman Gorge - the mother of a all thousand year old rainforests and swam in the most awesome gorge. I later drove back to my accomodation in Palm Cove where I caught a shark, fishing from the pier! ( A baby one!). What was really imprressedme about the hire car was that a taxi from the the airport to where I was staying was more expenive than hiring a car from Cairns Older Car hire for the entire day! They did not mind that I was a backpacker or that I was only 20 years old! Well worth it. call them on 07 4053 1-66.

Green Island

by sue_stone

Green Island is a coral cay located on the Great Barrier Reef. It is a 30-45 minute trip from Cairns by catamaran. Once you get there you can do some snorkelling, stay dry and check out the under-water world from the glass bottom boat, take a wander through the rainforest, or just relax on the beach.

It is a great place to get an introduction to the Great Barrier Reef without having to travel too far from the mainland.

To get to Green Island we caught a fast catamaran from Cairns, with the company Great Adventures. We did their 'Green Island Eco Adventure', which at a cost of around $60 per person gave us:

- return trip to the island (took around 45 minutes)
- morning tea onboard the boat
- a choice of doing a glass bottom boat tour or use of snorkelling equipment
- Guided eco island walk
- Entry to island swimming pool and use of day visitor facilities.

The catamaran left from the main wharf area in Cairns. It was a decent size boat, with plenty of seating in and outside. I was impressed with the friendliness of the staff and enjoyed the trip.

Comments