Lizard Island by Voyages

More about Cairns

Dressed by ElizabethDressed by Elizabeth

Vegetarian saladVegetarian salad

Lake Barrine Tea HouseLake Barrine Tea House

Tropic Days Backpackers Cairns Pizza & Beer nightTropic Days Backpackers Cairns Pizza & Beer night

Looking to reward myself with a good meal in Cairns

by cochinjew

I was supposed to spend eight days in NQueensland, visiting TI and Bamaga and Cairns. Unfotunately it has been cut short to ONE DAY. arriving on 3rd April from HAV and leaving on 4th to SIN and REP. I want to console myself by having a very nice lunch on 4th. I will be staying at Comfort Suites at Sheridan Street. I may not rent a car for the day..All suggestions will be appreciated. Seafood is preferred over Meat. Thanks.

by foxytoo

If you are speaking of Cairns, I would suggest "Charlies" 223-227 The Esplanade (Acacia Court Hotel) I have eaten there many times and it has the best seafood selection I have found in that area.

by Marianne2

Sorry you will not be spending more time there! Here is a list of some restaurants that I've liked in the past (our good member Anne will probably come on later to correct, if anything has since closed or changed). These all had fine seafood:

--Oliver's in the Central Business District
--Pesci's on the Esplanade
--Sebel Reef House on the Esplanade
--Two hotels with good restaurants:
--Kingsford Restaurant in the CNS International Hotel, CBD
--Breezes Restaurant in the Hilton on the Esplanade

I wish you good luck! Go for the Moreton bay bugs (lobster-like), mud crabs, or barramundi, if they are on the menu. Cheers!
--Marianne

by Anne12

Hello:)

Lately I have returned to favourite restaurants in Cairns and have been rather disappointed. I think they change chefs and then there is change to the cooking of food.
BUT last night I went to Cairns International Hotel and I loved it as I always have.
This is held at night ( I know you said day, but I thought I would mention it anyway:))
They do a buffet style dinner. It's 59Aus dollar per person. I think it's great value as you can eat as much as you like and there are Moreton Bay Bugs, oysters and prawns, you can eat these until they cows come home.
There are other little delights as well. There is also a hot section, this is yummy as well....I usually don't get past the Bugs and oysters:)
Then you go on to the sweets....now these are yummy!!! Little bits and pieces of different delights...
A few glasses of white or red to wash all of this down and you have one happy full tummy:)
You could also go for a walk along the Pier area and check out the retaurants there.
Then you have the esplanade.
So many places and so little time:)

If you are flying to Bamaga from the Domestic airport, you might see me at cafe Coral Cay...say hi..I have a name tag:)

by tropicrd

Lunch time menus are few and far between in Cairns---Charlies on the esplanade is dinner only--I suggest the pier boardwalk restaurents which have the ambience of Trinity inlet & marina or Mondos cafe & grill at the Hilton Hotel on the waterfront corner of Spence & the Esplanade and Frogs on the waterfront at Cairns Cruising Yacht Squadron at Portsmith--Trinity Inlet.

All serve a very nice seafood lunch menu.

Dorrise-----another Cairns local

Travel Tips for Cairns

Get Packing

by scharneckk

Medium Bag and a toiletries bag should do it! 1 x slip-ons/good shoes for the nightlife, 1 x sneakers for hiking, 1 x thongs for everything else.

As its mostly warm in Cairns .. pack your bikinis/boardies, shorts, tshirts, 1 or 2 going out outfits, 1 pair jeans, maybe 1 jumper just in case it rains or gets cool! Underwear, hat, sarong! Towel! Just the usual - toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, then suncream, insect repellent, moisturiser or Aloe cream. MUST BRING A CAMERA!! And an underwater camera if you are diving. Get ready to party and have a good time! See beautiful and amazing things .. dont worry about dressing up .. everyone is down to earth .. you're going to the beach/rainforest/canefields!!!

Nightlife Capers ....

by scharneckk about PJ O'Brien's

They have a great range of down to earth people, great live music, pool tables and general all round good fun and drinking to be had!!!

Many a fond memory at this pub! :o) Smart Casual .. Jeans and shirts are fine .. girls get away with just about anything these days ..

Cheap Pub Meal

by aussirose about Woolshed

Staying at Tropic Days Backpackers, the evening meal is included in the price. A bus comes and picks everyone up - other Backpacker places included as well, and takes us into town to the Woolshed. The Woolshed is located near Hides Corner.

Of course I discovered that the freebee meal wasn't very tasty so the next night, I opted to pay an extra $8 and got this yummy one instead! :o) Tandori bbq'd Chicken, baked potatoe with sour cream.....& salad....good stuff!!

I also noticed that the meals here are well priced and they have entertainment and cheap drinks. .....Gotta love pub meals!! :o)

Fresh water Fishing

by Pete.Gibson

Book a skipper and boat for the day, I spent the day on two completly different water systems even if you dont fish its worth it just to see whats out there Archer Fish, Croc's lizards ,fish eagles Kingfishers,Jungle perch to name but a few

Learn More about Aboriginal Culture

by ATXtraveler

Tjapukai is an Aboriginal History and Culture centre that was opened in 1987 to showcase the Abroiginal Culture through song dance, and other exhibits. It is located on a nice piece of property just north of the City of Cairns, and is an award winning cultural show.

There are information centres where you can read and see exhibits, then you can sit through a cultural show which show you a little of the "Dreamtime" story which shows the creation of the world through Aboriginal eyes.

You should expect to stay for 3-4 hours to enjoy the two formal presentations, the cultural show, and then to experience throwing a boomerang or spear.

Comments