3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

137 The Esplanade, (formerly Tradewinds Esplanade), Cairns, Cairns District, 4870, Australia

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• CultusLake's Profile Photo

Great location!

** Known as Rydges Esplanade Hotel now*

I stayed here Dec 25 and Dec 26, a two night special with a beach front view. Room was comfortable with a bath in the bathroom! Mini bar. Great view of the Esplanade and the harbour.

Unique Quality: Visited on Christmas day for the seafood buffet. This was very good.
    The pool area was nice and the pool was great to swim in.
    A pleasant stay.

Directions: On the Esplanade.

More about Rydges Tradewinds Cairns

Decent Property, large rooms

by TripAdvisor Member Litlvxn

I stayed at the Rydges Tradewinds Cairns 3 nights prior to a cruise out of Sydney, specifically to have the opportunity to snorkel the great barrier reef and see the surrounding rainforests. The hotel was chosen for me by Brendan Travel. My only request had been that it be an oceanfront property. My room was very large, on the 7th floor, but did not have the greatest view compared to others within the hotel. I could see mainly the adjacent hotel, parts of the city, some mountains (provided nice sunsets), and from my balcony a portion of Trinity Bay, which was mostly the mudflats during low tide. I didn't try the hotel pool or spa, which seemed small to me. The main Esplanade has a HUGE oceanfront pool open to the public which seemed appealing, though I did not try it. I didn't like having to pay $3 for towel rental, even if I returned it. A deposit would have been more appropriate.

The room itself had some very nice features, mainly an espresso machine, robes, slippers, and a full supply of bathroom necessities (razor, toothbrush, etc). The lighting system, involving the room key, took some figuring out, especially with jetlag!! The TV was small and in the corner of the room, away from both beds. You could see it from bed, but it was obviously set up for viewing from the couches. Minor sacrifice for the larger room I guess. The beds were very comfortable !! The restaurant food was "okay" but the staff seemed hesistant to serve me at 930pm when they showed hours of operation until 10pm.

If you haven't decided on specific tours to take, the staff in the lobby has ample information for you on what's available and can handle the reservations for you.

The hotel is about a 5 to 10 minute walk onto the main portion of the Esplanade itself (where all of the restaurants are on the waterfront). It is a very pleasant walk, well lit, with some "snack" places open all night. I walked to the "nightlife" spots downtown too. I just used common sense regarding being aware of my surroundings.

Huge Rooms

by TripAdvisor Member dsfamily

Stayed for 2 nights at each end of our stay in North Queensland. The staff were reception staff were very helpful and polite. Nothing was too much trouble.

Rooms were huge. We stayed on the top floor (level 7) large open plan room with all the usual amenities. The minibar area had a sink which was great (no filling the kettle in the bathroom). There was even a cappucino machine. The room had 2 double beds and a double sofa bed. The bathroom was a decent size with a toilet, the vanity had 2 sinks and the shower was over the large spa bath. Apparently these rooms are available with 1 king bed instead of 2 doubles if you wish.

All public areas were clean & tidy. This is not to say that the hotel is not in need of an exterior clean and paint. This can be seen from the glass lift in the foyer as you travel up and down. The glass could do with a clean as well.

On arrival of our first stay, a musty mould smell filled the hallway to our room. It was not in our room though. On return to the hoitel 3 nights later, the smell seemed almost non exsistent. We were told that Cairns Hotels have problems with air con and the humidity????

Breakfast in the restaurant was fine.

On our return to the hotel, from a 3 hour drive, we decided to have lunch in the restaurant instead of stopping on the way. We arrived at 1.00 pm and our room was already available. I mentioned that we were going to the restaurant for lunch, reception rang and we were told that they had just closed. Public Holiday at 1.00 pm restaurant closed. I could not believe it. Had to order Room Service $74.00 for 2 nachos and 2 hamburgers. Food was great and service was fast.

Rang for a late dinner at 9.55 pm told that the restaurant was closing and we would have to order off the night menu - not happy as full menu offered 6.30 am - 10.00 pm. Just like the supposed opening hours of the restaurant.

Overall though, service was fine, food was great and we would return.

Great Nice Hotel and Location

by TripAdvisor Member carolynasun

We stayed 5 nights here, very nice hotel with all the right things you need for a nice hotel, the rooms were spacious and overlooked a lovely pool, breakfast by the pool was nice and it was close walking distance to the main roads, Great Location, right over the road from the beach/water ( if you call it a beach) would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to go to Cairns

resonable

by TripAdvisor Member JillFriends

We spent our last night in Oz in cairnes so we would be close to the airport. Hotel was ok, views were ok, but rooms needed a bit of an update. lovely reception, but once you get in corridors and rooms they are not as nice. Hotel staff were however, very helpful and the price for the hotel came with free transport to airport which was good. The pool was very nice, with plenty of beds. The hotel was in ok location, walking distance to everywhere with a lovely Greek restaurant about 5 mins walk away, turn left out of hotel on main road, and the restauarnt is on the left. Thought Cairns was not a very nice place and glad we did not stay any longer than 1 night, Port Douglas is alot nicer...

Great deal

by TripAdvisor Member FreqFly

Stayed at the Tradewinds for two nights in a deluxe ocean view room.

A very reasonable price particularly as it was during school holidays.

The room was large with reasonable, although not the best views.

The hotel is very well located on the esplanade in Cairns with easy access to dining and reef visits.

Staff were friendly although there were not many of them and you may have to wait for your car.

The downside of the hotel is that while the entry price is good, there can be a number of add on charges.

Nevertheless, an overall good experience.

Nice location, great views, could sue updating

by TripAdvisor Member JudyfromBoise

We stayed in the Emporer Suite for 5 nights.

Pros:
Nice large room
Expresso machine with free ground coffee
Very nice and large amenity basket including razor and toothbrush sets,slippers
Tons of storage space
Great shower and soaking tub.
Included breakfast buffet was very adaquate
The "roll away" bed provided was very nice, it didn't fold in half but came on a platform.

Cons:
old/scary elevators
pool unheated, too cold for swimming and hot tub not heated at all.

Tips: when you exit the hotel to the boardwalk, turn left for a quick walk to a phenomenal playground.

We ate at the "Raw Prawn" 3 times and it was excellent ! It is just a quick walk down the street toward town.

One of my favourite hotels in Cairns

by TripAdvisor Member Giangurra

I am reasonably local to Cairns and have stayed at the Tradewinds 4 times. It is definitely one of my favourite places to stay in Cairns. Once we stayed in a suite which was fabulous, but other times it has just been in a studio room. The price is very reasonable when booked on a discount hotel website. The beds are comfortable and it's a nice stroll along the Esplanade into the city.

I've had breakfast at the restaurant a couple of times, but usually choose to walk into town to go to one of the cafes around the area. Breakfast buffet is good, however the coffee is very ordinary. It would be great if in-house movies were included in the price also. I agree that the decor is getting a bit dated, but at least the size of the rooms is decent - not like the shoeboxes of many newer hotels.

It's a very comfortable and convenient place to stay in Cairns. Nice pool and friendly staff.

Nice, but not a good value for the money you pay

by TripAdvisor Member BlancaParis

The staff was quite friendly and the rooms were nice (but in need of renovation--the ceiling had signs of water leakage). One of the towel hangers was broken but was immediately fixed. A nice view of the ocean from the rooms. Now, the problems: the location is not that great--but a bit of a walk to central (and touristic) part of Cairns. They had problems with internet (both wireless and broadband) for two days, which was a big inconvenience, since I was travelling for work. Finally, make sure to check the bill carefully--they nearly charnged me an extra night's stay, as well as for a bottle of water that I did not take! All in all, nice hotel, but not a good value for the price I paid!

Comments