Rydges Oasis Resort Caloundra

Oaks Oasis
Agoda.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Rydges Oasis Resort Caloundra

Disappointing, although some good bits

by TripAdvisor Member AucklandGopo

We booked this hotel because the pictures in the brochure showed huge pool and tropical gardens. The gardens are nice but the pool was shallow and cold and the spa was only warm. It was really too cold in July to use this facility. I was disappointed with our one bedroom accomodation. On the plus side it was quiet but it was dark, hadn't been cleaned very well at all and got no sun. The bedding was clean and comfortable for the double bed in the bedroom but not so comfortable for my daughter sleeping on a sofabed in the main room. On the first night I did not find reception too helpful about the state of the room but eventually a very pleasant person arrived and removed the worst of the dirt in the bedroom. The kitchen grease and dust never got removed during our stay. Luckily I didn't want to do any cooking.
The bathroom was very rundown and stained but did seem to be clean. In a place with water shortages I suggest they check the taps more often and replace washers as all the taps were very hard to completely turn off.
We ordered dinner in our room after arrival and got a huge takeaway meal delivered from the hotel restaurant which was good. We went to the restaurant on the last night of our stay and had a wonderful meal, I would recommend their fish and the desserts.
Reception were very helpful in arranging trips and tours for us because we had not hired a car. We enjoyed a bus tour to Eumundi markets and caught the free Australia Zoo bus to the zoo. Both of these were well worth doing.

Room tired & dirty - lacked maintenance

by TripAdvisor Member Glu_2

First impressions an institutionalised maze of rooms, room itself was shabby and tired looking, worse to come was filthy, here is why: dining table had grease from previous use, cutlery + plates dirty, mould on ceiling in bathroom, dirt behind/beside fridge aweful; carpet dirty especially under beds-still items from previous occupants under there, had not been vacuumed for along time, needed a good degreasing. Walls around room marked and in need of a clean.
Partner wiped down all surfaces on arrival as so bad.
This was fed back to reception on departarture.
Staff were helpful and friendly.

great hotel!!!

by TripAdvisor Member lisaemma1

Booked one night (Friday) at the Rydges with a friend and his daughter, Was really impressed with how clean and tidy the Resort was.

The pool is lovely , bigger than expected and open till 10pm which is great as summer is on its way.
Tennis court is great and free but there are no free tennis balls or rackets I would suggest booking it for the morning the afternoon gets too hot to make it through the hour! we did 8am, Just ready for Breakfast at 9am!

The rooms are "cosy" but nice! At the end of the day you are only in there to sleep! Clean and tidy - Free Austar and a fridge which was useful.

The Restaurant was quite nice, The food was Ok, service was great - Priced Ok too!
Lovely nite setting out on the deck by the lake.. just remember your replant!
Breakfast was quite pricey yet it was all you can eat. Kids Under 12 eat free!

Over all a great stay for us! And Value for money!! Try www.lastminute.com.au

There is one memory I will take from this trip , The beach nearby!

Just wonderful, clear blue water and lovely white sand nothing like I have seen before.
Take the gate near the Tennis courts onto the street, take a right follow the path until you get to a Zebra crossing on your left about 200mtrs up and cross then walk strait ahead you can't miss it, to get to the beach take a right along the grass and the back of a few units ! Fantastic!!

Service and smiles all round! Loved the Calamari! and lagoon

by TripAdvisor Member SeaShepherder

Just returned from a weekend break on the Sunshine Coast and had the best ever time! Usually im the first to winge when things go wrong and to be honest the rooms were in need of a bit of an upgrade...but were clean and tidy - I suppose we are used to the city centre hotels here the kids could cross the road to the beach the thing that made our stay was the restaurant and bar set in the middle of a waterlilly lagoon and all the flowers were out looked amazing and had the best ever tasting salt n pepper calamari and a few Crowns while we ate outside on the edge of the lagoon....while the kids disappeared to the park....perfect! We loved the feeling of space when we stay around the World it feels like everyone is living on top of each other here we had the space and although saturday was pretty busy the bar staff were simply super! friendly and helpful! Thankyou we shall be coming back!

Very Disapointing

by TripAdvisor Member Cacilia

We stayed at this resort for 3 nights. We were there with a group of friends and their children. About 8 rooms. We all came away with the same impresssion. The venue is very run down and is way overpriced for what it offers. There are much better resorts in the area which have better locations and offer cleaner and more modern facilities for the same price. We paid $185 per night for a one bedroom apartment. This was supposedly a good internet rate. It wasn't one bedroom at all. It was just one room. It was very shabby and in need of total refurbishment. We had people smoking on their balconies around us which meant we had to keep our sliding door closed. We could even smell the cigarette smoke with the door closed. These sorts of places really should be offering smoke free areas. The staff were very friendly. We dined in the restaurant one evening and enjoyed our meal.

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member XTM

Hotel is well past its hey day and is looking very old and tired. Hotel is not particularly well located. It is only a short stroll to the water but not to a swimming beach, and there are numerous better located and beach front hotels / motels in caloundra. The only positives are that the room was clean and spacious. However, it is very tired looking and uninspiring - long overdue for a refurbishment. I would not stay here again, especially at the current room rate.

Alright, but not for Honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member Tareszon

My wife and I stayed at the Rydges, and had expected to find something a bit more Resort like instead of the alright, but not great Rydges Resort that was very family friendly.

I would recommend it to families with kids, but not for a Honeymoon getaway.

The staff was very, very friendly and helpfull but the premises could use a little paint and redecoration.

Dissapointed. Perhaps not for couples but families.

by TripAdvisor Member ozgriff

We were disappointed with the quality of the resort, the room without a view, the small pool (for the size of the resort), and it is definitely showing its age.

Might suit families better with the open spaces and facilities, but as a couple we were glad we only stayed one night.

As other's have mentioned the water nearby is not a swimming beach, and Caloundra has better swimming beaches elsewhere.

As a side note, the bed was quite uncomfortable for a night's sleep.

Pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member Minigirl24

I booked this accommodation before checking Trip Adviser and was a little worried that it wouldn't be suitable for a kid free couple catch up.
We arrived several hours before check in time but were given our keys straight away, great start. The rooms were clean and adequate and probably what I expected for the price. No balcony and a view to the carpark/suburbia but then again not 5 star prices either.
We spent most of the afternoon lazing around the pool and enjoyed a lovely reasonably priced lunch although it was a little hard to get served due to one staff member only.
At dinner there was a slight mix up with our request for outside seating but it was quickly sorted and we were shown to a lovely spot on the edge of the lagoon. It was quite busy but our waiter Daniel handled everything professionally and we were all impressed with his attitude.
The next morning the flowers in the lagoon had all opened and it looked great. Ideal location for families looking for a reasonably priced holiday.

Very average. Nothing to make us want to return

by TripAdvisor Member NorthernRiversNSW

My partner and I were disappointed with our stay at Rydges. We booked on-line at the last minute and chose this hotel because it was one of the few that allowed a one night stay, with most other accommodation options in the Caloundra area requiring a minimum 2 or 3 night booking.

The reception area is old and dull, with a fridge full of alcohol and other drinks for sale at the doorway. We were duly processed at reception and despite paying the full amount at check-in and the hotel having my credit card details, we were required to pay an extra $50 for a key deposit. I was a little taken back by this practice, though I didn’t object. I travel regularly for work and leisure and have stayed in scores of hotels and resorts over the years. Until now, the only time I’ve had to pay a key deposit was for the toilet keys at a caravan park!

Our room on the second floor had a balcony with no view. It was clean but all furnishings and fixtures were well past their use-by dates and the bed was firm and uncomfortable. Disappointingly, no room service is offered, not even breakfast. At check-in we were offered a "discount" of $6 to book a buffet breakfast for the next day – a common ploy to help you commit. As always, a much cheaper and better breakfast can be found outside of the hotel.

The most worrying part of our stay however had nothing to do with toast and marmalade. There was a notice stuck to the wall of our room to advise guests that if they leave their sliding glass doors on the balcony open during the evening, the sliding security screen doors should be locked. We did as advised. And were astonished to discover the two parts of the screen doors, locked together, simply slid to either side of the open doorway, leaving a gap that was wide enough to easily walk through. I trust that no-one would be silly enough to not realise the ineffectiveness of the ‘security’ screen doors, however can’t help but be astonished that Rydges have gone to the trouble to attach a notice to the wall to imply this as being a secure option!

The low prioirty given to the security of guests was further evidenced when in error, I gave the receptionist the wrong number plate at check-in. Of course no-one noticed and in fairness, that would be true for many hotels.

This hotel is not in the category of ‘avoid at all cost’, but there’s nothing to make you want to return.

Comments