Coconut Beach Rainforest Resort

Cape Tribulation BeachCape Tribulation Beach

MangroveMangrove

Ferntree ReceptionFerntree Reception

Travel Tips for Cape Tribulation

Captain Cook was in a bad mood

by DSwede

Cape Trib is the site where Captain Cook nearly killed his crew. While sailing up along the coast, he was soon caught between the shores and the encroaching reef. When he decided to make a run for open water, Cook nearly sunk the boat by running in the coral reefs. Due to some excellent seamanship and good fortune, he made landfall again and was able to mend the boat.

Due to this and several other problems of the time, Cook was very depressed, stressed and resentful. Many locations now bear names to reflect his mood - Mount Sorrow, Desperation Point, Cape Tribulation, etc.

End of the (paved) road

by DSwede

Cape Tribulation is not much more than an isolated beach in the remote corners of the rain forest on north eastern QLD.

Coming up from Port Douglas, this will be where the pavement stops and 4WD would be needed to go the rest of the way to Cooktown (unless you take the interior roads over the tablelands).

Feel free to view my Australia page for more general thoughts.

(for more pictures, feel free to visit my Australia Gallery. If you enjoy the pictures, please leave a comment.)

Where the Rainforest meets the Reef

by backpackerbaby

"What an attractive description..."

How tempting is it to visit a place with two famous attractions? Being attracted by the description I read hundreds of time in the Internet, I decided to stay a few nights at this special area, 'where the Rainforest meets the Reef', a.k.a. Cape Tribulation.

I had no idea how the rainforests in Cape Trib would look like; I had no idea about the species of plants or animals that I might see either. Perhaps due to my ignorance, the trip turned out to be an amazing one, despite the unpredictably bad weather occupying the majority of my time and the loneliness I got in the wild.

"A spectacular get-away..."

Cape Trib is definitely the only location in Australia I visited with the smallest amount of Asian travellers. Being surrounded by foreign backpackers gave me a real 'away home' feeling.

Unless you hire a car, the cheapest way to get to Cape Trib is to join a local tour, which basically includes the transportation between Cairns/Port Douglas and Cape Trib, the accomodation at Cape Trib and a river cruise on Daintree River on the way back. Some operators do day-tours as well but I found it a "Mission Impossible". If you're into hiking/walking, you'll find time is really not enough over there. There are so many walking routes available, some are easier while the others more adventuous. The area was really special, in the way that the long long beach was right next to some dense rainforests.

With my 'extraordinary luck', the weather wasn't that good on the day I arrived. I could just wandered along the beach and walked along the boardwalk near my hostel. It's a bit rainy and to test my limit, I joined a night safari tour in the rainforest. Walking in the complete darkness with a group of unknown people was a great experience. It's interesting to listen to the sounds of the rainforests in the dark under the rain. It's amazing to see some small animals in the dark: I still remember that I saw a lovely fat rat (a special one I guess as it didn't look dirty) using a big fern as an umbrella right above us! How cute it was! The tour guide was very experienced, at one point, she asked all of us to focus and said,"Did you see something glowing?" While everyone said YES, I was the only one who couldn't see. She then asked all of us to switch our torches off. Then I saw some dots glowing in the dark. They were some 'glowing mushrooms'! When we lit our torches on the mushrooms, they looked so dull and boring. You'd never know they glow in the dark!

"Watch out for the ANIMALS!"

Due to my ignorance, I didn't expect to come into any wild animals so unexpectedly. One night, on my way back to my dorm room after shower (the communal shower facility is a few minutes walk from my room), I saw an animal of about 0.5m length lying RIGHT IN FRONT of my room door. There were no people nearby and I wan't sure if any of my room-mates were inside. Anyway, I just tried screaming the name of one room-mate, which was the most reliable and helpful one I guessed, meanwhile I took out my torch and shone on it (thank god that I was with my torch to the shower!), luckily the animal wasn't asleep and it moved away SLOWLY. "Was it a rat?! It's not possible to have such a big rat! But it's the rainforest, maybe it's possible?!" I discussed about it with my room-mate Bill, who said "it's a KANGEROO"! I doubted it so much but then the next day when I walked towards Cape Trib Beach, I saw a notice board describing the common animals in the area and I saw 'my visitor' - his name is "Musky Rat Kangeroo" and is a close relative of kangeroo. OK, from that moment, I believed that my room-mate Bill was a real encyclopedia, at least in the rainforest!

Comments