Lot 5, Buchanan Creek Road, Cow Bay, Cape Tribulation, 4873, Australia

Hotels.com Agoda.com HostelBookers.com

• northeast80's Profile Photo

Crocodylus Village

It cost us AU$23 per night sharing a 6 bed tent/hut. You really felt like an explorer.
    I loved this place, you were right in the middle of the rainforest away from everyone else. They had a swimming pool, covered bar with huge wooden tables, a kitchen, though they served hot meals every day too.
    The hostel had lots and lots of activities you could take part in, we booked a rainforest walk (AU$20 each) and learnt a lot about the wildlife and plants, had a nice cup of tea and some cake.
    Also the highlight was the Sea Kayak trip, they do a sunrise trip and a sunset trip, we did the sunrise one getting up at 5.30am.
    If forgot to put on any bathers so got really quite wet though didn't mind as it was nice and warm. We kayaked to an island, one which only the hostel is allowed to go on and snorkled amidst the amazing coral and fish then had a tropical lunch and kayaked back.
    There is a self guided walk around the rainforest you can do from the hostel too, The Orange Walk, we got to see a lot of wildlife on this too- we even saw some turtles.

Directions: Cross the Daintree River by ferry, head north over the Alexandra Range for 14 kms, then turn right into Buchanan Creek Rd. Crocodylus Village is 2 kms from the turnoff.

• teamoc's Profile Photo

Immersed in Cape Trib Jungle

My family and I recently stayed several nights at Crocodylus Villlage, near Cape Tribulation north of Cairns. We had orginally planned to stay only a couple days in the Cape Trib area. As soon as we crossed the Daintree River ferry and saw the Cape Triblulation jungle, however, we suspected that we might want to stick around a little longer. When we checked into Crocodylus Village, with its open-air bar and restaurant surrounded by ferns, palms, and vines, we extended our booking to six nights. The lodging is in big screen- and canvas-walled cabins. Each cabin is surrounded by enough jungle to have total visual privacy (some sounds do carry between cabins). The staff were friendly and helpful and the meals at the restaurant were good enough (not great, but we we not there for the food). We did several activities in the area, including a morning sea kayak tour (run by Crocodylus) with snorkeling and dolphins swimming right next to us, an overnight kayak/camping tour to Snapper Island (also run by Crocodylus and also with snorkeling), a great snorkel tour to the outer reef with Rum Runners (the highlight of the whole trip to OZ), "jungle surfing (riding zip lines through the trees), and a crocodile tour.

The whole Cape Trib area seemed like a world apart. If you want to buy T-shirts and eat in fancy restaurants, stay in Cairns or Port Douglas. If you want to really get into the jungle and the reef, I'd say go to Cape Trib and stay at Crocodylus.

Just a note comparing Crocodylus with Cape Trib's other big hostel - PK's Jungle Village. PK's seemed like a better party destination, while Crocodylus seemed better for families and for getting the feel of the forest.

Unique Quality: Great open-air restaurant and bar. Amazingly thick jungle. Great kayak tours.

More about Crocodylus Village

Queensland - 1. CAPE TRIBULATION

by DellyM

We crammed as much into 5 weeks as we could, and the following is a rough account of our holiday.
Having arrived at our friend's house in Edmonton, just outside Cairns, we spent the first couple of days catching up with their news and recovering from the 24 hour flight.
On our 3rd day we caught the bus into Cairns and headed straight for the agencies offering trips to Cape Tribulation. We booked a 3 night package with Jungle Tours which was scheduled for the following day.
The jungle tours mini-bus picked us up at a very early hour in the morning. After a fairly long, but enjoyable journey, we arrived at Crocodylus Village. We had opted to stay here for our first 2 nights. I loved it here. There are wooden cabins set in the rainforest, with a main large building which holds the reception area and the open plan dining area which looks onto a small swimming pool. The atmoshpere was quiet but friendly and the meals available to buy were basic but very tasty. You can also book various activities and trips laid on by Crocodylus staff. We opted for a guided night rainforest trek on our first night and an evening boating, looking for crocodiles on our second night.
We learned all about the various flora and fauna to be found in the local area. You'll soon hear about the "wait a while", which is a prickly vine. If you happen to catch yourself on one of these fellas, you have to "wait a while" as you unhook its sharp hook from your clothing (hopefully not your skin - ouch). There is also the Stinging Plant, which if you happen to brush against, will leave you with severe and long lasting pain. I understand that even months after coming into contact with this plant, the pain can still be excrutiating when water touches the affected area. We spotted a snake and a bird eating (although they don't actually eat birds) spider which was HUGE, on our night walk. My favourite part to this trek was when we were all told to switch our torches off and be silent. Wow! It was pitch black, and the noises of the nocturnal insects and animals was incredible. Your senses go into overdrive, it was an interesting experience. Some members of our party found this experience difficult to deal with after a minute or so, had to turn their torches back on!
We then saw numerous crocodiles on our river trip, and again, we were provided with very interesting information by our guide.
On our 3rd day, we went to PKs Jungle Village for a night. Mmmmmm. Great place for the young who just want to get down and have a good time in the tropics, but this isn't what I'd come to Cape Trib for. For me, being in a rainforest (nowhere near as dense as the forest area of Crocodylus) with Oasis' "WonderWall" blaring out of the main lobby's speakers just didn't seem right. I definitely prefered the peace of Crocodylus. Nevertheless, we got out and about and decided to take a stroll along the road adjacent to PKs. I'm so glad that we did, because we stumbled upon a Fruitbat sanctuary called simply "The Bat House". Ooooh, those fruitbats are so cute. The lady in charge had a 4 week old bespectacled fruitbat called Monty. We (there was only my husband and I in the place initially) were able to hold him, and he was simply adorable. Once again, we were provided with oodles of local info by the owner. Everyone we met in the Cape Trib area was extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
We signed up for another night rainforest walk, this time through PKs, as we'd enjoyed the previous one so much. This was completely different. The guy in charge of this set up placed traps during the day, the walk involved re-visiting the traps so that we could see any little furry animals who had been unfortunate enough to get caught! Once we'd all had a look and said "aaah" the animal was realeased back into the wild. Not sure whether I approve of trapping, but it did mean that we got to see far more animals than if it had been left to a chance sighting.
Our 3rd night over, it was time to head back to Cairns. On the journey back, a trip down the Daintree River had been organised for us, this was included in the cost of the 3 night package. Again, the guy in charge of our boat gave a running commentary on the various trees etc. and the various life forms to be found in and on the river, including more crocodiles!
After this, we all piled back into the bus and continued on our way. Our Jungle Tours driver stopped at various points in the journey to allow photographers to hop off to capture shots of the fantastic views to be seen. We arrived back in Cairns late afternoon feeling like we'd had a real rainforest experience. I would highly recommend Jungle Tours to anyone booking this kind of excursion. They provided friendly staff and excellent value for money.

Cape Trib.QLD north of Cairns.......WILD

by King1e

"Tour bus, Cairns to Cape Trib"

An interesting area of Australia. Where there is beautiful scenery, giant snakes, and sugar cane plantations.
Stayed in Cairns (party) a day or two. Organized my adventure for the east coast. sent half of my luggage down to Sydney, via Greyhound (I was carrying more now, since my month and half stay in Indonesia. Greyhound has a storage place there and that is my departure point...going home.
So I booked a trip up (north) to Cape Trib. on Jungle tours. My first stop was the "Crocodylus Village" YHA.

This place feels like its in the middle of nowhere. You might be able to see the building I slept in, in the background.

Then I stayed in PK's Jungle Lodge, still in Cape Trib.
Both places are nice to stay at. Crocodylus felt like I was more in the middle of the jungle. PK's more civilized.
PK (the owner) gave me a PK T-shirt, my initials are the same. I noted thet it was made in India, and when I bought 2 more, one was made in China, and the other in Australia. I was just curious because of my recent stay in Indonesia and there are many Australian business people there.
PK's is close to the ocean.

So from Cape Trib. I went back. I stayed in Port Douglas for a couple of days, thats where I found out about "Bugs" a fresh water crayfish, something like a lobster.
Then took a very fast boat (Quicksilver, i think) back to Cairns.

BUGS, taste good.

On the back of Quicksilver, a very fast cat.

Comments