4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

CornerGold Coast Highway and Staghorn Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, QLD 4217, Australia

QT Gold Coast
Orbitz.com TabletHotels.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• kelyeah's Profile Photo

Gold Coast Int

This hotel was very comfortable to stay in.
    I am not sure of prices and I did not have to pay to stay here.
    The room was quite large and the views from the balcony were amazing. The stay included breakfast and there was more than enough different types of food to satisfy anyone.

• Tina-Perth's Profile Photo

Excellent value and service!!

We made our hotel booking quite late and the choices of what we were looking for were few and far between. There were several large conferences on as well as the peak time for people visiting from Dubai. Luckily we found a 4.5 star hotel at very reasonable rates. Located 30km from the Coolangatta Airport, the taxi fare was under $40. It is well located to many other places which is a benefit for taxi fares. To clarify the rate, it was AUD$180 per night which was very reasonable!

The hotel is built around a pool and large water feature which can be seen from the restaurants, lobby and lounge. It’s light and fresh even if it’s not super luxurious.

Check-in was quick and easy, with very friendly staff. Unfortunately as we had made our booking via the internet and not directly with the hotel, no non-smoking rooms with king-size bed and ocean views were available unless we took one on the top floor, but it had no balcony. We ended up with a double-bed on a smoking floor (one down from the top level), but unlike previous experiences, there was no smell of cigarette coming through the air-conditioning. The room was spotlessly clean with a balcony overlooking the ocean. The room itself was fairly unexciting, but comfortable. We could even see whales frolicking in the water about .6km out from the beach!

We found all the staff to be exceptional, nothing was too much bother and their service was faultless. Such a pleasant change!

The Grand Prix circuit runs right by the front door of the hotel, so if you’re looking for some quiet, don’t book in while it’s on. If you’d like to be a part of the Grand Prix, you have a bird’s eye view of it from an ocean and Grand Prix circuit view room.

Check in is 3.00pm and check out is 11.00am.

Unique Quality: Movies are available for $13.95 including tax. The mini-bar and room service was very reasonably priced.
    There is a massage/spa centre, heated pool and a swim-up bar, a Japanese restaurant – Yumagen, a seafood buffet – The Patio, and fine dining in the Lygon Street Restaurant.
    Other facilities include:
    Gym/health centre
    Sauna, spa and steamroom
    Two full size tennis courts
    24 hours room service
    Laundry
    Valet parking
    Meeting facilities
    Secretarial service
    Lobby shopping arcade
    Coffee and tea making facilities
    Robe and iron/ironing board

More about Gold Coast International Hotel

An Exceptional Dining Experience!

by Tina-Perth about The Lygon Street Restaurant

The Lygon Street Restaurant, located at the Gold Coast International Hotel is outstanding. The decor is simple but elegant with large windows overlooking the hotel water feature of 5 red-lit fountains of water in a large pool which are sensational at night.

In our opinion, the menu was perfectly balanced without being too extensive. We dined here two nights in a row as we were so impressed with the whole experience. The staff and service were fantastic which enhanced our enjoyment of the food. On the first evening Steve had Veal Roulade for entree followed by the Oceanic Hot Rocks - a great concept where you are given a hot plate on your table and you sizzle your own food to exactly your liking. It has great novelty value as well, with the interaction and fabulous aromas from the cooking food. Steve's selection included Salmon, Moreton Bay Bug, Scallops, Prawns & vegetables. My choice was the Chef's Selection of 3 entrees - tempura oyster served on soba noodles, pumpkin soup and Salmon Gravlax. My main course was Pancetta & Broad Bean Risotto which was rich, creamy and cooked to perfection.

Our second visit saw Steve choose the Veal Roulade once again (which I loved and shared too). I decided not to have entree, as I wished to fit one of their specialty fruit flambes in, which are fabulously prepared at your table. Steve's main meal was the Lamb Rack (4 pieces) and vegetables which looked superb and cooked to perfection. I tried the Atlantic Salmon served on a base of ricotta and spinach rolls of pasta with a lemon oil & basil aioli which was absolutely delicious! Unfortunately the serves were way too generous for me to have fitted in dessert once again! Complementary chocolates are served at the end of your meal. Both nights we drank the Wirra Wirra Church Block which cost $49.

There is a new chef at the restaurant who is changing the menu to his own style. The food and wine is VERY reasonably priced. All up, our visits were tremendous experiences and we look forward to the opportunity to return. I couldn't name a favourite dish, they were all superb. The picture shows how the Hot Rocks dishes are served. This dish was $36.

Apart from the Hot Rocks dishes, main courses range from $18-$34, but mostly $20-$30.

good value

by TripAdvisor Member JenniferBendigo

My husband and I booked this hotel from a web based service for a good price at short notice.
The staff were courteous, the room had a lovely view of the ocean and was very clean and comfortable.
It is great value and very accessible and I'd recommend it for travellers.

GCI - Dated but not too bad

by TripAdvisor Member abeckett

My partner and I recently stayed at GCI for 7 nights. We picked this hotel on the travel agents recommendation and the fact that the brochure showed a bar in the swimming pool.

To be honest, when I arrived, I focussed on its age a little, but the room was quite nice, Ocean View on the 16th floor.

Here's the features and disadvatages.

Swim in bar is a joke. Only rarely opened (only saw it open once in 7 days) and when it was open, it took 45 minutes to get a cocktail. I recommend only buying beer and wine, that doesn't over tax the one waitress.

Yamagen is a FANTASTIC Teppenyaki restaraunt. It is pricey, but certainly well worth it. Chris, the head chef there is fantastic and funny. We ate their twice and dont regret it.

The Lygon Street restaraunt is also excellent, the "hot rocks" was fantastic and the waiter and waitress there were attentive and the waiter told us how he came to work here and did a most fantastic flambe.

The Patio restaraunt breakfast is poor. I will have to agree with another poster who said that the waitresses were too concerned with ticking boxes than filling coffee. At one stage, after sitting there 20 minutes without a coffee, I got up to help myself, when I was told to sit down and a waitress would be with me shortly. She did however come instantly and I was never topped up. For $27 pp breakfast, that made be buy a box of cereal and a carton of milk.

The Lava Bar was not too bad, service was good.

The Concierge/Porters were fantastic, even when we were waiting for the Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle he asked if he could call and see if they were going to be long.

In Summary, its not a 5 star hotel, no. It would lose that purely on appearance and breakfast service. Other than that, its a great place. I would stay there again. 4 stars.

Very Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ghalvin

We stayed for 6 nights in December 2007. Room was spotless with everyday change of sheets and towels. Excellent views from balconies, very good location close to restaurants, shops and beach. Hotel staff very courtious and friendly. Internet ($15.00 per hour) and breakfast ($20.00 for continental) are a bit on the expensive side. All in all it was a very pleasant stay and will suggest this hotel to anyone. Not sure if the complaints are really genuine!!
Joseph Buttigieg. Malta.

pleasant

by TripAdvisor Member TrustworthyMelbourne

We stayed in a spa suite with our two young boys.It was spacious, clean, good sized balcony with view over pool and beach one block away. The kitchenette consists of a sink and fridge and not much else but great having separate living area with kids as we could watch t.v. etc. while they slept. We got a babysitter (v. nice, friendly, experienced) one night through the hotel so nice that she had living area as well which also has a second toilet.
The location of the hotel is pretty good , a five minute walk to the busy strip and just a walk across a bridge and pedestrian crossing to the beach .Sea world is approx. 7kms away so pretty cheap taxi ride.
I checked out the gym which is a little dated but has decent changing area with sauna and steamroom.There are nice running tracks and exercise areas along beach across the road from hotel.
Overall I found the hotel to be v. quiet, staff reasonably friendly, decor slightly outdated but not extremely so and clean. It is not a glamorous, exciting hotel but rather pleasant.

Very happy! Lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member di4711

Very nice and helpful staff. Restaurants and food were fantastic.
We stayed in an oceanview room. The room had the best view of the ocean. We were on the 19th floor and it was fairly quiet.
The decor was very nice and the room was very clean.
The hotel did have mainly asian tourists staying when we were there, which didn't worry us. I was worried after reading negative reviews, but this hotel was very good.

Room nicely decorated/upgraded but the hotel facilities old/dirty

by TripAdvisor Member OzBoy74

This was my second time that I have stayed here and sadly I dont think I will be returning (unless I go to the Indy again). The rooms are very nice - clearly been renovated and upgraded so no complaints here - plus they are really big (I was in room 914 - ocean view). The balcony is big enough to sit on with two chairs and a little table. The bathroom is reasonable although the shower has a curtain (I dont get why hotels dont upgrade bath/showers and get rid of the old/yucky curtains!!!). Room service was ok - fast but the food was just ok. I did notice this time though that the facilities are in need of upgrading - especially the male sauna/steam/spa room - the mould on the tiles was dreadful - the dry sauna had broken/rotten wood - the steam room just didnt work - the spa was cold and had lots of sand in it - plus it doesnt get serviced throughout the day as i noted used towels on the floor in the morning and they were still there after dinner - the gym equipment is ok as well as the outdoor pool. Reception/Conceirge Desk was excellent - their service was very efficient/attentive/professional. Lots of Japanese tourists - so maybe a tour hotel.

wonderful place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member sheloc

Have just spent the best time on the Gold Coast. Stayed at the GCI [as it is termed].
The staff at this hotel must be given credit for creating a very welcoming place to stay, without loosing their professionalism in any way. They were always alert to our needs and every task completed with a smile.

The rooms were very comfortable and nicely decorated with a balcony and view to die for.

The pool area was nice and clean and the spa was a god sent. The pool bar was not opened due to the season however the phones attached gave adequate access to pool sercive. It was quick and efficient.

I did not dine in the hotel, as the location to the beach and the restaurant centre made walking too attractive.

I would definitely stay there again.

Anyone knows HMI@Calypso Plaza?

by iberis

Any comment on the resort?

Thanks,

RE: Anyone knows HMI@Calypso Plaza?

by Tina-Perth

Sorry, don't know that one, but we just got back yesterday from 4 nights at the Gold Coast International Hotel. It was extremely good and we were totally satisfied. If you're interested in taking a look, I have more details on my Gold Coast page. Sorry, only done 1 tip so far.

RE: Anyone knows HMI@Calypso Plaza?

by joeco9

CALYPSO PLAZA
The Calypso Plaza Apartments which I think is the property you are asking about
www.hoildaycity.com/oaks-calypso-gold-coast
Is situated at the southern end ( COOLANGATTA ) of the Gold Coast which may not be a bad thing at all , the tourist area of Surfers Paradise is only a 30 min bus trip away .
The Calypso Plaza is a high rise building of apartments and very well serviced and in a great location with the beach just across the street as well the main shopping area
As Coolangatta in just on the border of QLD. And NSW you well get to see two states at the same time (luck you) ,in NSW there are miles and miles of golden beach and a few small seaside village like Kingscliff,Cabarita Beach, and PottsvilleBeach are all worth a day visit
If I can be of more help you can e-mail me (look at my travel Page)

by iberis

Thanks Tina and Joe :)

by goldcoaster

Yeah Calypso Plaza is in Coolie. Nice location and only a few years old. Close to some nice restaurants, clubs and entertainment. It is at the quieter end of the coast but closer to some great scenery in the beaches of northern New South Wales and national parks.

by Tina-Perth

I just LOVE that ppp, Goldcoaster!! : )

by goldcoaster

It's not a bad spot. Straight across the road from the only north facing beach on the coast with great sand now the sand bypass is on the Tweed River mouth, like the 70s again.

And just down the block is this great little Indian place you just have to try. Looks ordinary from the outside but the food is magic!

Comments