Gold Coast Hotels

Our Members Say

• robertgaz profile photo robertgaz
  • Reviews: 1053

Carrara on the canals

This house is a well appointed modern home with excellent facilities inside and out. The kitchen comes will all mod cons including oven, microwave, dishwasher and all pots, pans and cutlery.

In fact the view to the canals from the kitchen sink was so superb that we were queuing to clean the dishes.

The laundry comes with a washing machine and a clothes dryer.

The two living areas come with TV, DVD and plenty of chairs. The downstairs TV was connected to Foxtel so the kids can watch all the Disney and music entertainment they wanted.

If I had to make one complaint it would be that the hot water storage unit held only 300L of hot water. This sounds like a lot until you have 10 people trying taking a hot shower after using the dishwasher or washing machine.

Handy hint : Take all your showers before usung either the dishwasher or washing machine. And plan using the spa bath well in advance as it alone holds close to 300L of hot water.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written October 17, 2006

Upstairs living area

• robertgaz profile photo robertgaz
  • Reviews: 1053

Carrara on the canals

This canal front residential property is available for short term rental making it an ideal base from which to explore the many attractions in and around the Gold Coast.

It's also close to Pacific Fair, Carrara Markets and a 7 day supermarket at Coco's.

This property has 5 spacious bedrooms, 3 bathrooms (including one with a spa bath), 3 large living areas and a huge kitchen with dining area. It's a 2 storey house with 2 bedrooms, a bathroom and a large living area on the second level.

With 2 double beds and 8 singles there was ample sleeping room for ten people and also for the visitors who came and crashed on the lounge over the the two weeks that we were there.

Outside there is a big patio BBQ area overlooking a private swimming pool and the canals. There is also a private jetty to moor a boat, go fishing or just to feed the local ducks that visit each day looking for scraps of food.

The property cost us AU$1,650 per week but this was equally divided amongst three families making it a very economical stay. It worked out cheaper than staying in hotels with more room than we knew what to do with. Check out the attached website for current pricing and availabilty.

A huge property, a great location and a perfect place to stay for large groups to make it an economical alternative to hotels.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written October 17, 2006
Tip Photo

View over canals from kitchen

• xuessium profile photo xuessium
  • Reviews: 1418

Breakfree Paradise Island Resort: Paradise on Paradise Island

I managed to find this luxurious resort tucked away on Paradise Island, about 15-20 minutes walk from the beach. (On hindsight today, it probably wasn't that good a choice since it meant that I had to tediously walk to & fro from the beach every time I had the need to see it!) This Mediterranean style 4 star resort is ideal for couples and is the ultimate for families looking for Self Contained Apartments and Kids Club facilities.

Located 400 metres from the beach and 600 metres to the centre of Surfers Paradise, BreakFree Paradise Island Resort offers a superb river frontage.

I had a 1-bedroom apartment that came with a kitchenette and laundrette. (Luxury on my means in those leaner years) Me & my mate cooked every night (rather I cooked every night) to save money. The room was very comfortable; I chose to have the sofa bed in the main hall so that I can hog the TV so there was plenty of space for both of us. Didn't spare much thoughts for the resorts' facilities save for the use of its swimming pool (which was very popular with the kids)

If you like your Gold Coast visit quiet, this is the place to be (as long as you do not mind the 15-20 minutes walk to the beach)

And the restaurant serves great and tasty breakfast!

• Related to: Family Travel, Spa and Resort, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written May 27, 2006
Tip Photo

• jopetsy profile photo jopetsy
  • Reviews: 47

Crowne Plaza Surfers Paradise: Crowne Plaza

We arrived at Gold Coast on April 3, 2006. Since I booked from the internet 3 months earlier, i expect that i will have a room upon arriving, but to my surprise, the room was not yet available. I arrived at the hotel at 1pm although regular check in time is at 2pm. we had lunch at a nearby seafood restaurant while waiting. When we checked back in, it was all set and the room was great for the price. It is a corner room overlooking the pacific ocean with a big veranda. The bed has a king size bed and sofa, big bathroom with jacuzzi. The hotel has its own gaming room, internet kiosks and a mid size pool.
OVERALL : I would still comeback in this hotel since I really had a great time here. Truly amazing. We stayed here for 5days / 4nights. Surfside buses stops just outside the hotel. Very convinient too.

Internet kiosks vendo machine style located at the lobby. Laundry vendo machines style as well, located at the basement, convinient for long term guests. Mid size pool.

• Written May 7, 2006

view from the hotel

• KevinMichael profile photo KevinMichael
  • Reviews: 405

D'arcy Arms: Great Motel for a Better Price

My wife and I loved this place!!!!!!!!! For a motel its excellent. Of all the places we stayed in on our Australian trip this one was THE BEST. It was cheaper than the other places but, more comfortable and it had the best service.

The owner of the establishment is an Irish immigrant, Fiona O'Hagan, and she still has the brogue. Sure, I may have gotten some kind of special treatment (I'm Irish America ... last name O'Neill), but regardless of that she was exceptionally kind and considerate. Well, what do I mean...

My wife and I had arranged to stay at D'arcy Arms for 2 nights. But, at the last momment we had to cancel our plans and only stay there for 1 night because we were still on Fraser Island. We did cancel that night by phone and rearranged to only stay overnight one night there.

After we got there, even though she had every right not to charge us for the night before, she didn't. She told us she didn't have to because another customer came in and asked for a room the night before and so she gave them the room that we had cancelled on.

She made us feel so welcomed. It was like being with family. She put a smile on our faces. Thanks Fiona.

They also have a swimming pool and hot tub.

D'arcy Arms has a great restaurant too. See my restaurants page on that.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Theme Park Trips
  • Written April 14, 2006

D'Arcy Arms Motel/Restaurant/Bar

• iandsmith profile photo iandsmith
  • Reviews: 5827

Travel Inn: Best Western

If there's one thing this place has going for it, it's a convenient location across the road from Jupiters Casino and Pacific Fair, one of the Gold Coast's major shopping centres.
Parking is good, with underground available.
The pool is small and you'll probably not be spending any time in it anyway due to the beach being just a couple of blocks out the back.
The rooms are spacious and well appointed. As indicated by the name, they're more self catering apartments. With this in mind you have a large fridge, microwave and a few other cooking/kitchen appliances than you would normally expect in a motel.
It also has a new garden outdoor area courtesy of a storm that hit in March 2006 that found the flaws in the previous one!
Though it's on the main road I have to say that road noise is not a problem due to a thoughtful layout that subdues almost all of the noise.
It's relatively close to Surfers Paradise and the nightlife there and, if you don't have your own car, cabs are not a problem in this town.

If you want to stay for a single night on the weekends, forget it. They only take bookings for two nights.
Also, don't expect comprehensive room service. You'll be organizing your own breakfast although they can supply the ingredients.

• Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel, Casino and Gambling
  • Written March 19, 2006

• Beach_Girl_Aust profile photo Beach_Girl_Aust
  • Reviews: 10

Alunga Hotel: Best place to stay on the gold coast

REALLY great views, apartments are heaps modern!!
And best of all you get the use of 2 massive pools (one heated one unheated); 2 spas (1 heated, 1 unheated); and a private access to the beach (literally 1 min walk to the beach); and immediate access to Cavill Mall where all the action is!! Oh yer, and you get a gym, sauna and putt-putt course (golf).

• Written March 4, 2006

The hotel

• wathy profile photo wathy
  • Reviews: 133

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Backpackers In Paradise: Don't ever stay at here, TERRIBLE!!

Bad bad bad. We stayed at here for 3 nights in private double room, and bad things happened everynight.

First night
- we found our shoes were forgotten in outside after cleaning when we went back at night.

Second night
- we found our room is opened just like that when we went back at night (remember we were in private room not dormitory)

Third night
- all of our toiletries in bathroom are missing and after we talked to the manager, she didn't do anything at that moment and she told us that we have to wait for the result in the next morning due the cleaning service already went home. We asked for their responsibility in the next morning, but the manager only gave us her confused face and pay us back only 5 bucks! We are 2 person, and of course our toiletries cost us more than 5 bucks.

We are very disappointed for their services.

Despite of their bad services, the location is verrrry good.
just few minutes to Surfers Paradise by walking.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written February 2, 2006

Backpackers in Paradise

• xuessium profile photo xuessium
  • Reviews: 1418

GREAT GOLD COAST HOSTELS REVIEW SITE

The BUG Australia guide is both a great guidebook & forum to tap for reviews from folks who had actually stayed at the hostels you are looking for.

Very comprehensive and useful!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Study Abroad, Backpacking
  • Written July 10, 2005

BUG

• Keli_em profile photo Keli_em
  • Reviews: 7

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Legends Hotel: Ideal location!

Perry and I stayed at the Legends Hotel in Surfers Paradise. The location was just fabulous - a two minute walk to the beach, about 5 minutes from Caville Ave (the main shopping/cafe drag in Surfers...)

We had a gorgeous view of the ocean, and a little balcony to sit and breathe in the atmosphere - ahhh, so relaxing...

The room was a decent size with a little kitchenette, with all the facilities there to cook (mind you, I was too lazy to cook for myself :)

The food was second-to-none, I really recommend the seafood buffet - bellisimo! And the staff there were all very helpful, and seemed happy to be working there.

The only downside was that it was a little noisy due to Schoolies Week - I noticed that a few balconies were draped in toilet paper. So if you visit, try to avoid the end of November / start of December!! Other than that, I would definitely recommend this hotel!!

This hotel has the most awesome pool that I've every seen - kind of lagoon-style I guess, and it has no edge, the overflow of the water forms a fountain. I wish I had a photo!!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written December 4, 2004

the view

• amazingclick profile photo amazingclick
  • Reviews: 130

Backpackers in Paradise: Backpackers in Paradise

After having a bad experience in the British Arms YHA. Next Stop was Backpackers In Paradise. Really nice place. Very friendly.Every roomhas its own bathroom. Clean. Really nice tv room. Very good canteen. The guy cooking makes some excellent stuff and the best part right in the center of town. The hostel organises some pub crawls in the night where they take you to all the pubs in town. Be a part of that and have a great time.

Clean, Friendly, Right in the center of town, Swimming Pool, TV Room, Snooker Room, Internet Parlour, Cafe, Provisions shop.

• Written August 13, 2004
Tip Photo

All the guys dressed as girls in a pub crawl

• amazingclick profile photo amazingclick
  • Reviews: 130

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

British Arma YHA: British Arms YHA

I have stayed in Australia mostly in YHA's and thought this would also be as wonderful as the rest of them. The British Arms YHA on Gold Coast turned out to be one of my worst experiences. Firstly it is not anywhere close to the center of town, quite a distance. The only attraction next door is the sea world which is a walk away but, since you have to spend a day to visit sea world...you can stay anywhere and come and spend the day here. The other nice part about the British Arms was the sorroundings. A Nice Marina..which is very relaxing. The place is quite bad. Beds Broken...stinky...1 fan in the heat that wouldnt work and dirty bathrooms.
My advice. Stay away.

Friendly Staff, Great View to the marina, Sea World Right next door.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written August 13, 2004

A Great View of the Marina from the Hostel

• Steavis profile photo Steavis
  • Reviews: 17

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mercure Resort Surfers Paradise: If you don't have kids, don't stay here.

This place is for families. If you are there on your own or part of a couple, you will ask yourself after diving in the pool how much urine is in there with you.

• Written March 1, 2004
Tip Photo

• marki profile photo marki
  • Reviews: 10

City Council Tourist Parks: Caravan Parks

The council owned caravan parks website is http://www.gctp.com.au/. There are also some private parks in Ashmore and Labrador. Cabins should be booked well in advance and are expensive, but there are excellent camp sites near the beaches.

Try the campground at Miami or South Stradbroke Island if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle.

• Related to: Camping, Beaches, Budget Travel
  • Written May 27, 2003

• emerald125 profile photo emerald125
  • Reviews: 124
Australis Soveriegn Resort: Everything you need at a good price

Hotel rooms and 1-2 bedroom apartments, spacious with good fittings and furnishings. Great pool area with bar service. Spa and Sauna are good buy gym is very poor.

Breakfast was great, we did not eat there for other meals but the menu looked good and prices reasonable.

Good views from some rooms, be sure to ask for beach view.

The free pool towels were a hit with us... no dragging wet towels back to your room.

24 hour room service :-)

• Written December 23, 2002
Tip Photo

Low rise towers and tropical pool

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful