Sea World Drive, Main Beach, Gold Coast, QLD 4217, Australia

Palazzo Versace
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 61% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Everything we expected and more

OK so most people know about this hotel as it is currently (but not for long) the ONLY Versace hotel in the world (a second will soon be gracing the ever expanding Dubai shortly).

Lets not beat around the bush, the rooms are expensive. And, for the Gold Coast, where there are more and more serviced apartment blocks springing up, with modern facilities and decor, this hotel may not be for everyone.

At Palazzo Versace the entry level rooms are without balconies and the views may not live up to expectations. The entry level rooms are just that - standard rooms. However, the decor in the rooms is anything but your usual hotel trimmings. The marble floors & Versace products from floor to ceiling really make you feel you are living in the lap of luxury. The bathroom is opulent and the separate shower and VERY large spa bath are great.

Obviously the more you pay, the more you get. The rooms do go up in size and facilities with 72 condominium suites providing a much larger accommodation option equipped with full kitchen facilities as well as a plunge pool or spa.

The hotel has 3 award winning restaurants which provide great food with exceptional service to boot. One of the best buffet breakfast I have ever experienced. Big ticks for the made to order omelettes and pancakes.

The Palazzo Versace breakfast has an enormous range of options all of which are fresh and tasty - we've all been to hotels that had half a mushroom, some spaghetti and a hash brown stuck in the scrambled egg that has been left out so long it has a crust like a meringue - well not at Palazzo Versace (but of course you'd expect it to be fantastic).

Vie Bar & Restaurant is a great place which we have dined at a number of times. The view from the outdoor deck is fantastic. The food is modern Australian with a well designed menu full of options for most dinners. They know how to prepare & present food to the highest quality with the eye fillet steak cooked to perfection every time we have ordered it. They have an extensive wine list that would impress any sommelier, as well as a broad range of alternate drinks such as assorted local & imported beers and well made cocktails.

The pool is beautiful, designed to look like a small intimate beach on an island somewhere. The turn down service each night, with complimentary chocolates and Versace bath products is lovely. The staff are helpful and look after your every whim. They will take care of dinner and spa reservations, taxis and chauffeured cars and assist you with any plans you may wish to make during your stay.

During our stay we came back to our room one night and found we had been treated to a plate with hand pipped 'Happy Birthday' and beautiful chocolates and strawberries as we advised on booking it was a special occasion. This is what you pay extra for - the staff are friendly and attentive and although your every need is met they manage to do it without you even noticing - seamless and effortless making the stay relaxing and much less pretentious than most would think.

When staying at the hotel you do not need to leave for anything - and why would you want to. Casually stroll downstairs after six and you will find the lobby filled with candles and a pianist, a lovely casual and relaxed atmosphere perfect for pre or post dinner drinks or late night hot chocolates (always a favourite) .

While it is quite hard on the hip pocket, I believe you should stay here at least once. It is a unique hotel, so even the rarity alone is worth the try. You would be hard pressed finding a more luxurious & professionally run hotel in Australia. Go on, give it a try!

What to wear: A lot of people will be put off with the grandeur of this hotel. However, in our experience, the is little to no evidence of the pretentiousness that can be found even in hotels of lesser quality. Dress however you like, but do take note that a lot of people do dress well there, especially if you are attending one of their restaurants.

How much: Basic rooms start at around the $475 - $550 per night mark, depending on the season. Condominiums start at $1200 and go to $1900 per night. If you are feeling extra wealthy you could always go for the Imperial Suite which fetches $3000 - $4000 per night.

Appropriate occasions: Romantic getaway, birthday surprise, anniversaries.

Directions: Near Marina Mirage

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

The Wow factor

Describe my stay? Hardly. At $500 per night minimum (though you can get specials around $450), this place exudes luxury.
    Of course, design extends to the staff uniforms but not necessarily to their manners. You may not always be treated in the manner to which you hoped to become accustomed.

Unique Quality: Donatello Versace wanted something special and they've achieved it here. Italian style opulence is in abundance. With a pool bigger than some of the local lakes, mosaics in the floor, food guaranteed to cause dribbling before you even bite and a classical colonnaded entrance, need I begin to describe what you can expect in the rooms. In a word, everything.
    This is the Versace's first dabble into the hotel business and their renowned quality and excellence hasn't stopped with their personal fashion lines.
    I found it fascinating that Australia, of all places, would be the venue of choice for their first foray into such things.

Directions: If you're at the entrance to Seaworld and you can't see it, consult an optometrist.

• goldcoaster's Profile Photo

Flash as a rat with a gold tooth

Wish I could stay but I have been to the hotel on a few occassions and OMG it is cool. I was expecting that kind of over the top crass, expensive but crap look. But it isn't.

A few friends and I crashed the opening day and it rocked. Everything here is Versace. I did a story for the local TV about it and the place amazed me. Even the ashtrays, which get stolen all the time, are Versace. Knives, forks, napkins, soap...everything.

Unique Quality: It is the only Versace hotel in the world. Can't get anymore unique than that I'm thinking.

Directions: The Spit, Main Beach

• Hip Designer Hotel

No matter what's your accommodation preference, from a budget dorm to a luxury penthouse, Gold Coast has it all! Many rooms even come with South Pacific Ocean view.

For extraordinary experience, you may wanna consider the exceptional Palazzo Versace Hotel designed by Donatella Versace.

Unique Quality: Palazzo Versace is the evolution of Versace lifestyle, a place of Renaissance splendour, elegance and ease (information from the official website).

More about Palazzo Versace Hotel Gold Coast

The best for relaxation

by Lomma about Palazzo Versace at the Gold Coast

Got in to Brisbane early Saturday morning and drove to this beautiful spot at the Gold Coast. Coming from cold Norway after a trip of 26 hours (at least) it was like getting to heaven. This place must be seen. Soooo nice. Delicate, beautiful pool (60 meter long with white sand) Spa, the rooms ... just luxury!

What a Joke! Please read before you book your stay!

by TripAdvisor Member belair100

My experience at the Palazzo Versace in Queensland, Australia was far from a 6 star experience. The biggest problem was the service of lack of it. Each time I experienced a problem the management was not responsive. Upon check in the room was dirty. The rooms are old and look it. The spa tub is a nice touch but the rooms are so small that you probably will never use it.

Most of the staff were not friendly including the spa staff. When I was addressed cortly by a spa staff member I was told by management that they do not work for the hotel but are contractors.

I have to be fair and say that the breakfast buffet was quite good. Although with the room charges it should be!

The hotel is far out and removed from just about everything. There is an uneventful mall next door and a Sheraton Hotel across the street. We ended up spending most of our time there. They were very nice.

I would never go back and to prove it my letter to management at the hotel with my complaints went unanswered. If I were to be in the area again I would stay at the Sheraton or at the new residential tower Q1 which is right on the beach.

Hmmm..........Could have been better......

by TripAdvisor Member PashTraveller

I stayed at the Palazzo Versace for 2 nights on a recent business trip to Oz. The facade of the hotel is not much to look at, i was expecting this to be a little more stylish but i suppose this is going to be hard for any hotel that has a McDonalds right next to it!! This is the first thing you see as you exit the lobby and it just puts a downer on it!!

The room i stayed it was a deluxe that had a pool view with 2 double beds. The room itself was nicely decorated with versace cushions and a medusa head stamped on just about everything........but what do you expect?? you are after all staying in the versace hotel!! The bathroom was excellent with a big spa bath although not sure about the frosted see through doors if you're staying with someone you wouldn't normally show your bits off to!!

The pool is lovely, not the best pool in the world but with the limited space they had they've done a good job. The little beach is also a nice touch.

Staff at the hotel could have been a little more friendly, instead of all prancing around like models and being not much use to anyone. Although the staff in the shop are VERY friendly which is not suprising as they're trying to get you to buy something you probably don't even need. I bought some make up while i was there and i have to say that it is very good and would definately buy more!!

The breakfast at the hotel is to die for, they put on a magnificent spread and everything is a taste sensation!! Don't however do what we did and stuff up on this before heading to O'reilly's, as the journey there is up a very winding road and a few people.....how should i say? Weren't very well!!

Let's just hope that the next Versace hotel in Dubai sorts out the niggles of everyone that stayed at the gold coast!!

HandBag Ripoff

As we passed by the Versace shop I commented to my husband how I loved the design of a handbag in the window. As my husband is very generous he proceeded to walk into the shop and told the assistant he wanted to purchase the handbag. Cost $1,300.
The assistant explained to me that because the bag was suede I would be best to "scotch guard" it.
We immediately had that process done to the bag.
Immediately black marks started to show on the suede and I discovered that metal reacts with "scotchguard"!!! I returned to the Versace shop and complained that care instructions had caused my bag to be ruined. Their reply was that they only recommend care instructions not take responsibility for them !!!!! Subsequently I have written to top management of the store and had no satisfaction. They refuse to take responsibility or offer me any compensation. I have a bag that looks like it has had 10 years use after a month.
DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM A VERSACE SHOP - they do not stand by the products or their advice.

First Class

This was one of the best hotels we have stayed in. We stayed for 2 nights and absolutely loved everything about it! The buffet breakfast that was included was the best we have had. The pool was beautiful and the service of staff was beyond excellent. All round an excellent hotel that is at the top of my list....can't wait to go there again!

Great designer hotel

by TripAdvisor Member anthonyuk

I had some doubts when booking this place - the reviews seem all over the place, and the fear that this place could be a tacky nightmare almost stopped me from doing it. However, we had a great stay.

I think overall, the decision you need to make about the type of room you get here is whether you prefer (1) space or (2) a view. We went for space and were pleased with the decision. We took a King suite which was the same price as a standard room with a view of the pool. We had no view, but instead our room was much bigger than the standard one - two toilets, a separate dining/lounge room, a shower, jacuzzi and king bed and all done out in the distinctive versace style. We loved it.

The breakfasts are fantastic. There is a huge range of exotic things to choose from - enough to satisfy any taste. We also really enjoyed the pool - although by about 4.30pm, most of the sun lounge area was in shade and so there was nowhere to catch the rays.

We also tried the spa area and got a couples massage. They have a room with 2 massage tables and so you can you with your other half. It was great fun and very relaxing (and the glass of champagne at the end was a nice touch).

One potential concern was the service. Sometimes fantastic, and at other times average. I had arranged for a limousine transfer from the airport to the hotel (and had email confirmation from them on the booking). We waited at the airport - but no limo. In the end I had to phone the hotel and they had "no record" of us booking one. They told us how to get another one, but it was not a great start to the vacation. Also when we checked in, we had to wait about 10 minutes before someone could see us and this is unacceptable at a hotel that charges these prices. On the upside though, they worked quickly to get us our room within 30 minutes (we checked in early). Also on one morning at breakfast, we got up to the buffet to get some more food, only to find our table had been cleared by time we got back! However, at other times people were fantastic, cheery and very helpful. The problem was that the service is just too patchy for you to be completely confident in it.

I do not want to sound too negative though. We had a great stay here and would definitely do it again. This hotel falls just the right side of the opulent/tacky divide and was great fun to stay at.

help me!!!

by nemesiz111

im going to gold coast this april, ill be going with my wife.... where is the best place to stay for honeymooners??

by goldcoaster

That my friens relies entirely on your budget.

My picks, if money was no object, would be Sheraton Mirage or Palazzo Versace. Then Crown Towers, ANA Presidential Suite (I stayed there for one of my honeymoons).

However at several hundred a night, I'm thinking it isn't for everyone. Try around Broadbeach. Marrakesh is nice with in room spas etc. Plenty of nice places but if you give me a budget I can hone in on some specific places for you.

Lee

by SmilingTraveller

Hi

Personally, the Gold Coast would be the last place I would think of for a honeymoon, but the following website has a few tips for romantic stays.

by iandsmith

Best place? Depends what you are looking for. Personally, I wouldn't book anything before I got there as there are great accommodation bargins everywhere during non peak season.
Have a nice time.