Turtle Beach Resort Gold Coast

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

2346 Gold Coast Highway, Mermaid Beach, (formerly BreakFree), Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, 4218, AU

Turtle Beach Resort
Orbitz.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• HinemoaK's Profile Photo

Everything you DONT want

Never would i come back here again. Came here for a nice getaway for my partner & myself for our birthday. Worked our butts off two weeks around the clock to pay for this trip and all we were left with was dissapointment. First up we had to give a $200 deposit upon arrival, $200 bucks that we didn't have spare! They refused credit card details which is what MOST hotels/holiday accom are more than fine with. Started off our 3 day trip short of $200, then the dinner we booked through the hotel was cancelled & instead of them transferring the money over to another show/dinner such as draculas we were told was unallowable, cash refund was also not allowed & all they could do was either give us a cheque (being a weekend, dead money until monday) or use it on our room service bill - yet again dead money. So now we were $300 short and spent most of our weekend in a hotel room that smelt like mould, was dirty & took five flights of stairs to get to (no elevators) eating money that we didnt want to, but had no choice to through the hotel restaurant that was expensive, understaffed juniors (50min average wait for a meal), pizzas were nice but not enjoyable after the long wait & the flat white i ordered tasted like mud. Would never ever set foot in this place again nor would i reccommend. Thanks for the *** weekend i worked so hard for and looked so foward to all ruined by you turtle bay resort!

Unique Quality: No views whatsoever, pool was dirty, the other was closed for maitenance (whatever, never saw it touched by staff) no elevators enjoy walking up a hundred stairs to get to your room, beach access through a very busy main rd, and then another 10 mins up, beach isnt even near this hotel! Parking is a nightmare, underground maze have to drive on wrong side of rd which is very confusing!

More about Turtle Beach Resort Gold Coast

Poor value, very dated

I read many mixed reviews of this property, but with a two year old thought I was doing the best thing for him. This turned out to be a big mistake, the room was in semi darkness even in the middle of the day with the only view being people cooking. Their is no Sky to enertain children with cartoons, so on wet days beware. I agree with other comments about the swimming pools, they are freezing and way too cold for children.the reception staff have no interest in resolving issues.

Not too bad......

by TripAdvisor Member richee13

Stayed here in April 06 but it didn't really live up to my expectations. Had a 1 bedroom apartment which faced another building so didn't really make for a nice view. The room was clean and sufficient and the secure parking at the complex was good. Location was handy and there is a well priced convenience store and takeaway shops across the road. The beach is also approx 2 blocks away. Was annoyed with the lap pools however as there are pools in the resort specifically designed for children but they were also in the lap pools so I couldn't really ever swim properly. Numerous children always wandering around the complex unsupervised running in corridors slamming doors and especially unsupervised in the pool. Once when I was swimming it basically felt like I was baby sitting 2 unsupervised children who were around the age of 8. Phone in our room never worked and reception staff seemed uninterested and came off quite rude while I was trying to get this problem resolved. There seemed to be numerous tourists smoking around the complex even though I was told that you could only smoke on your apartment balcony. I was very annoyed that there was no pay tv - as there were a couple of really rainy days that we were there - and I was assured that there was pay tv when I booked. So overall okay but I wouldn't stay there again.

Great resort for young families

by TripAdvisor Member tlrbedwa

We spent 8 nights at the resort, with our children, aged 4 and 6. The lap pools are heated as are two of the larger pools (the shallow ones aren't - hence a valid reason why there are children in the lap pool !!!). The room was clean and well laid-out. The resort is close to takeaway shops, restaurants, video hire, newsagent etc. I did my grocery shopping at Woolworths at the Oasis shopping centre (a short drive north). You can hire DVD players (we brought our own). The rooms are a little on the dark side but that didn't bother us. The kitchen was well stocked. The living room had an air conditioner on a set timer and there were fans in the bedrooms. The units come with all the mod. cons, ie dishwasher, microwave oven, washing machine & dryer. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend the resort primarily for young families.

A good choice and central location

Stayed at accommodation for three weeks from 7th April travelling from the North East of UK. We found the rooms to be well equiped, and are serviced on a weekly basis. The rooms are dark as a result of tropical vegetation, and the grounds are very well kept, although the swimming pools are cool.
The staff were found to be friendlly and helpful.
During the school holiday period there are many children and site was very busy. Obviously if you want a quiet time, plan your vacation outside school holidays.
There are many restaurants neraby, and access to the beach and public buses are excellent.

All in all I can recommend the complex 100%.

The best resort on the gold coast

This is the best resort on the gold coast for families. We have found nothing like it before. We have stayed at may different "resort style" places before, but for my family this was fantastic.

We had read many of the reviews on this site before we chose Turtle Beach. We where fully aware that this was self catering accommodation, they started us off, then we where on our own. We found this to be fantastic, unlike a hotel where your room is barged into in the morning with someone yelling out "HOUSE KEEPING".

We had called the resort prior to leaving home to check to see if there is anything we should bring. I think this is a must, call and check. we where told to bring our own BEACH TOWELS, face washers, shampoo, soap etc. as they openly told us in a friendsly manner that it was self-catering. and with the towles they said if we where to supply us with beach towels they would be the same as the bath towels. This was extremely helpful.

In regards to other comments on this site, Pools where cold, but we felt they should be. if it is hot you want something to cool you down. You dont have a hot bath in the middle of summer do you?

Location is fantastic, heaps of stuff to do, Reccomend it to anyone that has a bunch of kids and mum and dad want to relax (at the same time supervising their kids) .

Still a nice place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member ryck

We had stayed at Turtle Beach in 2004 and were very keen to go back as our first experience was excellent. This time was nice but not quite as good. First room we went too only had a rear entrance so you had to walk miles to get to any of the facilities. It was a beautiful apartment but as with the rest of the resort the palm trees have grown so big they were overshadowing everything making that room dark with nothing to look at but trees. We asked to be moved. Staff weren't very happy and I had to quite forceful. We were moved to another 2 bedroom apartment with good views of one of the pools and tennis courts on the third floor (note no lifts!). Apartment was nice but carpet was very badly stained. Nice place to stay and good value but we will stay somewhere newer next time.

Wouldn't recommend Turtle Beach

by TripAdvisor Member Kiwi41

Stayed here with my husband and 2 children but would never return to Turtle Beach. Two bedroomed apartment was reasonably spacious but definitely felt it could do with a good clean and general freshen up. There were cockroaches in the kitchen, dirty marks on the walls, the bedspreads were filthy and we had a ground-floor apartment which never saw any sun. I was surprised for such a large resort that the reception staff appeared quite unprofessional and off-hand. The beach on the Gold Coast really is beautiful with squeaky white sand! But that's another thing - to get there you had to cross a horrendously busy main road - and with 2 young children it was kind of tricky sometimes. Not sure where I'd stay next time - possibly somewhere in Broadbeach or even Coolangatta.

wonderful holiday

by TripAdvisor Member J26

Spacious, bright apartments with our only criticism being that the cream coloured carpets are somewhat tired. We had top floor apartments but I imagine ground floor accomodation must be very dark due to tropical vegetation. Beautiful plants, trees and birds though. Great selection of pools with varying temperatures - one to suit everybody. Main road is very busy but adequate crossing places provided and once inside the complex you do not hear any traffic noise.

Great Resort

by TripAdvisor Member maddiemoochoo

Very nice resort, with a great layout. The pools were great with so many to choose from however a little cold and also not well lit at night.

Apartment was clean, furniture OK, beds very comfortable. Our kitchen light did not work but maintenance came to fix it almost immediately.

This is a very kid friendly resort with playground, tennis courts etc. Also had its own restaurant/cafe and although we didnt eat there is did seem to be busy most of the time. The resort is very close to lots of family restaurants and there is a convenience store directly across the road. Also nice and close to Pacific Fair if shopping is your thing. And there is a bus stop directly out the front.

My only negative comments would be: 1) If you are visiting all the theme parks the resort seemed to be on the wrong side of Surfers Paradise. We felt we were a bit too far away from the action. 2) The walls between apartments are obviously very thin. At one stage we could clearly hear the conversation in the next room.

In saying that we had a great holiday (despite the rainy weather!!) and would recommend this resort to others.

Toys at the shopToys at the shop

watching a paradewatching a parade

The RestaurantThe Restaurant

View to the southView to the south

Visiting Gold Coast in Late August

by thukral_vicky

Hello,
I am planning my Honeymoon trip to Australia (Sydney, Cairns, and Gold Coast) during second half of august. Wanted to know if it is a good idea to visit Gold Coast during that time period (since it is winter in Australia). Won't be a good idea if we can't get into the waters :).
Any inputs/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vicky.

by Ess19

Hi Vicky

My family live on the Gold Coast and in late August water temperature is around 20 degrees celsius. The locals say that it gets cold in winter but I live in London and coming from the UK the winter weather here is not cold! This winter has been very mild so far and the daytime temperatures are currently around 24 degrees celsius.

If you need any other info on the Gold Coast please let me know.

Congratulations on your wedding!

Ess

by elizabethd90

Late August will definately be fine! I live in Australia, Sydney though, but I just went on a short weekend trip to the Gold Coast in the middle of June which is def colder than August, and it was very nice weather, about 21 degrees celcius, the water was 20 degrees celcius and I was out sunbaking and going to the beach and swimming and everything. Queensland is usually always warm. Def different to Sydney which would still be cold in August. Espescially seeing as it is coming into spring I think it would be fine. You'd definately get some nice weather there. Enjoy! :)

by pedroswift

August used to be school holiday time in southern Queensland. During my younger days we always camped at Kirra on the Gold Coast and swam and surfed. Should be a fine time for your visit. Have fun de p.

by colin_bramso

Welcome to VT Vicky. As the others suggested, it depends where you're from as to whether you think it's cold. An Oz winter is like a British summer. I've just got back (this morning) from two weeks in the UK and I was in thick clothing while the locals were in short sleeve shirts or singlets!

by thukral_vicky

I live in Delhi, India. I am used to 4-5 degree temperature in Dec-Jan here (of course that I find chillingly cold).

by colin_bramso

It shouldn't be as cold as that at night on the GC in August, maybe eight or ten degrees celcius. Daytime should be around 20C.

Comments