Reef View Hotel

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Food and Dining Beaches
See Amenities

Keeping it Real

by written on May 27, 2012

I am about to go to Hamilton Island to stay at the Reef Hotel. i have read the reviews on this site, and must say i had a real chuckle. I'm amused to see the presence of so many whinging poms.

1)I recognise that i have an amazing deal. My room is only about $270 per night. I do not expect luxury. i recognise the hotel is 25 years old, and i expect the decor will be dated. As long as the room is clean and doesn't smell I will be happy. If i wanted an infinity pool, and modern decor I appreciate I would have to pay $1000 per night for it. i expect my room to be 2- 3 star standard. Im sure the 4 star rating only applies to the larger suites upstairs. I dont expect to spend much time in the room.

2) I have checked the long range forecast. it will be clear and sunny and about 22 degrees most days. I do not expect the water to be warm at this time of the year. 22 degrees will do me fine.

3) I will take my own beach towel.

4) Im hoping to make a real effort to be nice to the staff. Im sure if i smile and people and treat them respectfully they will respond in kind.

5) Im delighted that I will be met at the airport, even though it appears I could walk over to the hotel. I will have a small bag, and will happily put it inside the shuttle bus myself.

6) I wont be hiring a golf cart. I do alot of running, and am fit enough to walk myself around the island.

7) As it is a tropical island, I expect the meals to be expensive. I anticipate about $45 for a main.

8) I appreciate that a group of guest will arrive on the same plane as me. Therefore I expect that things will be busy at the check in counter. If so, I will rest by the pool, and come back when things are quieter.

9) I anticipate a queue for the breakfast. I wont mind a wait of say 10-15 minutes. i love buffet breakfasts, and wont die if the juice is not freshly squeezed.

10) I anticipate the tide will be out in the morning, so the beach will not look great in the morning. I don't like the name "Catseye" for a Beach, I would prefer "Whitehaven" or something like that, but Ill get over it.

All in all, I intend to take a relaxed, realistic approach to my holiday. Im looking forward to a few days of winding down, then a relaxing time reading, walking, and hopefully a trip out to play the Thomson designed golf course, which looks great. I wont be surprised if it is windy out there. I expect the fee to be about $150.00.

Already I am very impressed by the management. They even, unilaterally, REDUCED my overall rate by close to $400 when hey realised I had booked for 9 nights. Very impressive.

I will post my review after the holiday. It will be based on the realistic parameters set out above.

Hamilton Island - Just Fabulous

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 24, 2011

We stayed 6 nights at the Reef View Hotel in September 2011 & it was excellent. After booking & paying for our trip, I read all the reviews on this website & as a discerning traveller, was alarmed by some of the negtive feedback about the hotel & the island in general.
Our room at the hotel was really spacious & comfortable, even with 2 queen-sized beds in it - bathroom was massive (love the twin basins) & the balcony a really good size too. Perhaps our room had been refurbished, as it was clean & in good condition - Housekeeping consistently maintained it in spotless condition & all supplies renewed daily.
No, resort holidays are not cheap, but there are few ways to keep costs down whilst still enjoying all the island has to offer: If you book 4+ nights at the Reef View, breakfast is included, with a choice of 3 locations; we quickly got into the routine of eating a huge buffet breakfast (great selection), then we wouldn't really feel like eating again until the evening meal -> 2 meals per day is much cheaper than 3.
Another cost-cutter: we didn't hire a golf buggy at all - we either walked or took the free shuttle bus - of course it depends on what you do on the island - all our activity was either at the resort centre or the Marina - only 8 mins walk between the two. Perfect weather helped I guess.
We had meals at fine dining restaurants, casual eateries & in-hotel meals: no complaints with any of them - Denison Star a-la-carte dinner cruise & a meal at the Beach Club Restaurant were highlights, plus more casual meals at Sails, Manta Ray Cafe & the Pool Terrace were reasonable value. Loved that Manta Ray deliver their brilliant pizzas to your hotel room after 6pm.
It was excellent that hotel guests got free use of all the water sports equipment from Catseye Beach: goggles & snorkels, paddle skis (like a shallow canoe), catamarans, paddle boards, windsurfers etc... By having our holiday outside the wet season, it meant there were no jellyfish in the water, so could safely swim at Catseye Beach as well as at any of the 4 pools we had to choose from.
I read up really well on the Hamilton Island acommodation, activities & various eateries on the internet before our holiday, & this made the multitude of choices available much easier to negotiate. Is the perfect place to have an active, busy holiday, or to be busy doing absolutely nothing other than just soaking it all up.
We found the Reef View to be well-run & the friendly staff couldn't do enough for us - when running late to go on the Denison Star dinner cruise, one of the concierges happily took us to the marina by golf buggy - now THAT'S service. My preferred beverage wasn't available in the Pool Terrace where we were eating, so our waitress ducked out to the lounge bar to fetch some for me, even bringing back more than one bottle - what a mind-reader!
We would definitely stay there again & recommend it highly to others.

Unique Quality: Lovely big rooms, generously-sized balconies & spacious bathrooms - awesome staff - clean & well-organised facility - supply of beach towels continually replenished - perfect location to access everything

Very dissapointed

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 30, 2011

Stayed for five nights in a garden veiw room. Room was dated and in need of some maintainance. (Rated 4 star???). The service provded by 80% of the staff was average at best. We travelled with two kids and if it was not for the kids eat free deal that we had, we would have been going ito debt to pay for the very average food. Processed chiken nuggets with chips $12.00. Tried to go to an up market eatery at the yaght club in search of a quality meal only to be told that no kids were allowed in the resturaunt. Loads of comments from like minded families echoed our experience. When you arrive with high expectations you will be dissapointed as the menu at the resort is very bland and one would expect fresh seafood to be available on an Island, NOT the case here. Planes arrive at 11am and check in is not before 2pm. The staff do not inform you that they have a lounge available for you to relax in prior to check in. Therefore you are forced to wait around while they make up your room. "We will call you when it s ready" they tell you. You come back to the front desk the room has been available for some time but no one bothers to call. Very dissapointed with poor service, poor quality food and price for what is on offer is expensive.

Unique Quality: Great access to the great barrier reef.
Lots of pools are available for use.
A number of venues for eating both at the resorts and also at the marina.
Lots of tours to different locations in the Whitsundays.

lindyz's Profile Photo

High rise option

by written on March 27, 2010

This is a 4 star Hotel and the highest accommodation choice on the Island I think. It also has its own exclusive pool for guests. I have not stayed here before and I believe rooms accommodate a maximum of 4 people.

Hamiton Island's Best Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 2, 2007

Beautiful Hotel, close to the beach, all amenties. Friendly staff & lots to do. Also only 30mins to the mainland by ferry to a place called Airlie Beach....another great town.

Rooms are spacious, balconies are great...book a Coral Sea, its 5th to 18th Floor & the view is specatacular...you won't be disappointed!

Unique Quality: The Great Barrier Reef, Water Sports & Activites, Great events throughout year like Hamilton Island Outrigger Cup, Audi Race Week (Yachts), Summer Festivals etc...

Island Bar Pool - Swim & drink cocktails etc at the same time

Room Charge - Use your Rm key over the ENTIRE island to Rm Charge back.

Airlie Beach - Markets, Backpacker life, Great Restaurants & People, Easy access to many destinations

Centre Island of the Whitsundays with 71 more to see....Heaven!

Mikebb's Profile Photo

Hamilton Island's Top Hotel

by written on December 23, 2006

This is a 4 star high rise hotel with magnificent views of the beach and Whitsunday waters. I did not stay in the hotel this visit but had a 5 night stay some years earlier whilst attending a conference. Hence the reason to return with my wife to enjoy this magnificent island. The hotel is very comfortable with several bars, entertainment each evening in the Compass Lounge. Adjacent to the hotel is the Sports Centre for those who may wish to play squash, gym equipment etc etc.
There is a nice pool in the hotel grounds , however I believe the main pool next to the beach is much better, the beach being very nice for those who like sand and salt water.

digivixen's Profile Photo

Each room a sensational view!

by written on November 7, 2004

I have stayed at the Reef View twice now and have been pleased each time!

Rooms at the Reef View are either classified as 'Garden View' or 'Coral Sea View'. A Coral Sea View room with guarantee you views of the ocean but it does carry a higher pricetag. On our second trip we opted for a Garden View room and were suprised to find the room still had a breathtaking view (we were on Level 4 of the hotel).

The rooms are large and the bathroom has two vanities, shower and a bath! I must say the decor is a little dated but for what little time you spend in your room its OK.

You can save money by not going with the buffet breakfast. We found the bakery and deli on the island offer fresh, tasty breakfasts for half the price you are expected to pay at the hotel (if it is not included in your package you pay $22 per person).

Unique Quality: The Reef View is directly opposite the beach, and is only a short walk to the beautiful Bouganvillea Pool and Bar.

It is also a short walk from the nightlife at the Toucan Tango bar.

Walking to the Marina takes about 10 minutes or so, hardly worth the buggy hire (around $80 per day) unless you want to do a lot of exploring!

Directions: Main street of Hamilton Island

Large, sunny and comfortable rooms.

by written on September 3, 2004

While we didn't stay there - my brother is in the travel business and we always get taken on a site inspection when we stay at a place like this (and sometimes get goodies left in our room too!) so we had a good chance to check out Reef View.

The rooms are reputed to be the largest hotel rooms in the Southern Hemisphere (or they were in the 80s when the resort was built). These are the rooms in the main tower-block that you see in the photos. the block goes up to 16 storeys and most of the rooms have commanding views out over the beach and across the water.

This accommodation is very hotel-style and is nicely furnished in tropical pastel yellos and blues. The other great advantage is its Northerly aspect which means that the rooms soak up the sun all day and the balconies would be a sensational place to escape to for a quiet read or snooze!

Nearby Reef View Hotel

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

Hamilton Island Travel Forum

Need advice about Hamilton Island, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Hamilton Island and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Hamilton Island hotel reviews

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Hamilton Island Palm Terrace
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Explore Deeper into Hamilton Island
Don't shop anywhere else!
BLOW THE FROTH OFF A FEW COLDIES
HIRE A GOLF CART TO GET ABOUT THE ISLAND
Sea Kayaking the Whitsundays
Things to Do
Hamilton Island is great to go to the reef from
Scuba Diving at Reefworld
Seaplane to Whitehaven
Jetryder adrenaline ride
Admire amazing architecture of new Yacht Club
Things to Do
Walk the wharfs and checkout the million$ boats!!!
Things to Do
Drive around the island and check out the houses!
Attempt some creative photography
Great Barrier Reef Cruise with Fantasea
Take a hike - over 20kms of scenic trails
Foots Artworks
Things to Do
Get married on a tropical island
Things to Do
Walk along the rocks to either headland
Things to Do
Admire the lush colourful flora on the island
Things to Do
Interact with the local birdlife
Things to Do
Chill at the Marina and people watch
Drinks at One Tree Hill Lookout
Hire a golf buggy part 2
Things to Do
Swim to small rocky island
Chill at the beach
Things to Do
Partake in a variety of water sports
Things to Do
Too many pools to choose from!
Total rip-off!!!
Shopping
Elegant Italian (with a price tag!)
Restaurants
Beware of Tropical Cyclones!!!
Warnings and Dangers
Super scrumptious Pizzas
Great Fish 'n' Chips on the Marina
Freshly baked delicacies
Restaurants
Stock up on grocery essentials