NO 1 Hamilton Island, Hamilton Island, QL 4803, Australia

Orbitz.com Agoda.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Keeping it Real

I am about to go to Hamilton Island to stay at the Reef Hotel. i have read the reviews on this site, and must say i had a real chuckle. I'm amused to see the presence of so many whinging poms.

1)I recognise that i have an amazing deal. My room is only about $270 per night. I do not expect luxury. i recognise the hotel is 25 years old, and i expect the decor will be dated. As long as the room is clean and doesn't smell I will be happy. If i wanted an infinity pool, and modern decor I appreciate I would have to pay $1000 per night for it. i expect my room to be 2- 3 star standard. Im sure the 4 star rating only applies to the larger suites upstairs. I dont expect to spend much time in the room.

2) I have checked the long range forecast. it will be clear and sunny and about 22 degrees most days. I do not expect the water to be warm at this time of the year. 22 degrees will do me fine.

3) I will take my own beach towel.

4) Im hoping to make a real effort to be nice to the staff. Im sure if i smile and people and treat them respectfully they will respond in kind.

5) Im delighted that I will be met at the airport, even though it appears I could walk over to the hotel. I will have a small bag, and will happily put it inside the shuttle bus myself.

6) I wont be hiring a golf cart. I do alot of running, and am fit enough to walk myself around the island.

7) As it is a tropical island, I expect the meals to be expensive. I anticipate about $45 for a main.

8) I appreciate that a group of guest will arrive on the same plane as me. Therefore I expect that things will be busy at the check in counter. If so, I will rest by the pool, and come back when things are quieter.

9) I anticipate a queue for the breakfast. I wont mind a wait of say 10-15 minutes. i love buffet breakfasts, and wont die if the juice is not freshly squeezed.

10) I anticipate the tide will be out in the morning, so the beach will not look great in the morning. I don't like the name "Catseye" for a Beach, I would prefer "Whitehaven" or something like that, but Ill get over it.

All in all, I intend to take a relaxed, realistic approach to my holiday. Im looking forward to a few days of winding down, then a relaxing time reading, walking, and hopefully a trip out to play the Thomson designed golf course, which looks great. I wont be surprised if it is windy out there. I expect the fee to be about $150.00.

Already I am very impressed by the management. They even, unilaterally, REDUCED my overall rate by close to $400 when hey realised I had booked for 9 nights. Very impressive.

I will post my review after the holiday. It will be based on the realistic parameters set out above.

• Hamilton Island - Just Fabulous

We stayed 6 nights at the Reef View Hotel in September 2011 & it was excellent. After booking & paying for our trip, I read all the reviews on this website & as a discerning traveller, was alarmed by some of the negtive feedback about the hotel & the island in general.
    Our room at the hotel was really spacious & comfortable, even with 2 queen-sized beds in it - bathroom was massive (love the twin basins) & the balcony a really good size too. Perhaps our room had been refurbished, as it was clean & in good condition - Housekeeping consistently maintained it in spotless condition & all supplies renewed daily.
    No, resort holidays are not cheap, but there are few ways to keep costs down whilst still enjoying all the island has to offer: If you book 4+ nights at the Reef View, breakfast is included, with a choice of 3 locations; we quickly got into the routine of eating a huge buffet breakfast (great selection), then we wouldn't really feel like eating again until the evening meal -> 2 meals per day is much cheaper than 3.
    Another cost-cutter: we didn't hire a golf buggy at all - we either walked or took the free shuttle bus - of course it depends on what you do on the island - all our activity was either at the resort centre or the Marina - only 8 mins walk between the two. Perfect weather helped I guess.
    We had meals at fine dining restaurants, casual eateries & in-hotel meals: no complaints with any of them - Denison Star a-la-carte dinner cruise & a meal at the Beach Club Restaurant were highlights, plus more casual meals at Sails, Manta Ray Cafe & the Pool Terrace were reasonable value. Loved that Manta Ray deliver their brilliant pizzas to your hotel room after 6pm.
    It was excellent that hotel guests got free use of all the water sports equipment from Catseye Beach: goggles & snorkels, paddle skis (like a shallow canoe), catamarans, paddle boards, windsurfers etc... By having our holiday outside the wet season, it meant there were no jellyfish in the water, so could safely swim at Catseye Beach as well as at any of the 4 pools we had to choose from.
    I read up really well on the Hamilton Island acommodation, activities & various eateries on the internet before our holiday, & this made the multitude of choices available much easier to negotiate. Is the perfect place to have an active, busy holiday, or to be busy doing absolutely nothing other than just soaking it all up.
    We found the Reef View to be well-run & the friendly staff couldn't do enough for us - when running late to go on the Denison Star dinner cruise, one of the concierges happily took us to the marina by golf buggy - now THAT'S service. My preferred beverage wasn't available in the Pool Terrace where we were eating, so our waitress ducked out to the lounge bar to fetch some for me, even bringing back more than one bottle - what a mind-reader!
    We would definitely stay there again & recommend it highly to others.

Unique Quality: Lovely big rooms, generously-sized balconies & spacious bathrooms - awesome staff - clean & well-organised facility - supply of beach towels continually replenished - perfect location to access everything

• Very dissapointed

Stayed for five nights in a garden veiw room. Room was dated and in need of some maintainance. (Rated 4 star???). The service provded by 80% of the staff was average at best. We travelled with two kids and if it was not for the kids eat free deal that we had, we would have been going ito debt to pay for the very average food. Processed chiken nuggets with chips $12.00. Tried to go to an up market eatery at the yaght club in search of a quality meal only to be told that no kids were allowed in the resturaunt. Loads of comments from like minded families echoed our experience. When you arrive with high expectations you will be dissapointed as the menu at the resort is very bland and one would expect fresh seafood to be available on an Island, NOT the case here. Planes arrive at 11am and check in is not before 2pm. The staff do not inform you that they have a lounge available for you to relax in prior to check in. Therefore you are forced to wait around while they make up your room. "We will call you when it s ready" they tell you. You come back to the front desk the room has been available for some time but no one bothers to call. Very dissapointed with poor service, poor quality food and price for what is on offer is expensive.

Unique Quality: Great access to the great barrier reef.
    Lots of pools are available for use.
    A number of venues for eating both at the resorts and also at the marina.
    Lots of tours to different locations in the Whitsundays.

• lindyz's Profile Photo

High rise option

This is a 4 star Hotel and the highest accommodation choice on the Island I think. It also has its own exclusive pool for guests. I have not stayed here before and I believe rooms accommodate a maximum of 4 people.

• Hamiton Island's Best Hotel

Beautiful Hotel, close to the beach, all amenties. Friendly staff & lots to do. Also only 30mins to the mainland by ferry to a place called Airlie Beach....another great town.

Rooms are spacious, balconies are great...book a Coral Sea, its 5th to 18th Floor & the view is specatacular...you won't be disappointed!

Unique Quality: The Great Barrier Reef, Water Sports & Activites, Great events throughout year like Hamilton Island Outrigger Cup, Audi Race Week (Yachts), Summer Festivals etc...

Island Bar Pool - Swim & drink cocktails etc at the same time

Room Charge - Use your Rm key over the ENTIRE island to Rm Charge back.

Airlie Beach - Markets, Backpacker life, Great Restaurants & People, Easy access to many destinations

Centre Island of the Whitsundays with 71 more to see....Heaven!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Hamilton Island's Top Hotel

This is a 4 star high rise hotel with magnificent views of the beach and Whitsunday waters. I did not stay in the hotel this visit but had a 5 night stay some years earlier whilst attending a conference. Hence the reason to return with my wife to enjoy this magnificent island. The hotel is very comfortable with several bars, entertainment each evening in the Compass Lounge. Adjacent to the hotel is the Sports Centre for those who may wish to play squash, gym equipment etc etc.
    There is a nice pool in the hotel grounds , however I believe the main pool next to the beach is much better, the beach being very nice for those who like sand and salt water.

• digivixen's Profile Photo

Each room a sensational view!

I have stayed at the Reef View twice now and have been pleased each time!

Rooms at the Reef View are either classified as 'Garden View' or 'Coral Sea View'. A Coral Sea View room with guarantee you views of the ocean but it does carry a higher pricetag. On our second trip we opted for a Garden View room and were suprised to find the room still had a breathtaking view (we were on Level 4 of the hotel).

The rooms are large and the bathroom has two vanities, shower and a bath! I must say the decor is a little dated but for what little time you spend in your room its OK.

You can save money by not going with the buffet breakfast. We found the bakery and deli on the island offer fresh, tasty breakfasts for half the price you are expected to pay at the hotel (if it is not included in your package you pay $22 per person).

Unique Quality: The Reef View is directly opposite the beach, and is only a short walk to the beautiful Bouganvillea Pool and Bar.

It is also a short walk from the nightlife at the Toucan Tango bar.

Walking to the Marina takes about 10 minutes or so, hardly worth the buggy hire (around $80 per day) unless you want to do a lot of exploring!

Directions: Main street of Hamilton Island

• Large, sunny and comfortable rooms.

While we didn't stay there - my brother is in the travel business and we always get taken on a site inspection when we stay at a place like this (and sometimes get goodies left in our room too!) so we had a good chance to check out Reef View.

The rooms are reputed to be the largest hotel rooms in the Southern Hemisphere (or they were in the 80s when the resort was built). These are the rooms in the main tower-block that you see in the photos. the block goes up to 16 storeys and most of the rooms have commanding views out over the beach and across the water.

This accommodation is very hotel-style and is nicely furnished in tropical pastel yellos and blues. The other great advantage is its Northerly aspect which means that the rooms soak up the sun all day and the balconies would be a sensational place to escape to for a quiet read or snooze!

More about Reef View Hotel

Wonderful Hotel and Location

This is a wonderful island and location on the Barrier Reef. We were upgraded on arrival to the Reef View Hotel and found it to be an excellent Hotel. We had the added "Entertainment" of Cyclone Larry arriving just as we did but the communication and organisation of the hotel was second to none and gave us great confidence during an uncertain period. We flew Jetstar and found them to be very professional , well organised and found their seating policy to be very fair i.e The earlier you arrive, the earlier you board the plane. The most fun on the island is hiring the Golf Buggy - you must do this.

Think twice before goint there at the moment

by TripAdvisor Member Work&Play1

Went there for the fourth time for Hamilton Island Race Week a major annual international sailing regatta and it's a great location for yacht racing.

However, the resort and facilities particularly the Reef View Hotel have detiorated to an unacceptable level. Our room was dirty, tired and in need of a major make over. For example only one of the bar fridge door shelves could be used. Furniture was chipped and scratched. Housekeeping ran out of face washers three times in ten days. The plugs in the room looked like the originals from when the resort opened 15 plus years ago.

When staff were asked about internet access incorrect advice was given. Generally staff were less than helpful, except for the shuttle bus drivers.

The restaraunt "Toucan Tango" had the same menu as 12 months ago and was not inspiring.

Problems with Hamilton Island Resort

We just spent 3 days at the Hamilton Island resort in February '06. We would never go back again. Three weeks before we arrived their power line was cut and they were barely operating off temporary generators. We were never advised of this. The result was we only had air conditioning for 2 days. The power was completely turned off for 5 hours one night. We paid $1,700 AUD for the 3 nights, it wasn't worth it if we had paid half that price. When I complained to the hotel manager about not having air conditioning, he completely denied any problems with the power. Everyone else on the island knew about it.

This is a beautiful area. I would go back any time, but stay at a different resort. In addition to the power problems, the rooms were dirty, the food was bad even in their expensive restaurants and the service was bad. We had to call housekeeping every day to get towels. Most of the time they never responded to our requests. We stayed in the Reef View Hotel.

hamilton island

by hendo4

hi all. ive just booked a 5 night holiday for the wife and i at hamilton island, staying in the reef view hotel,coral reef view room. we are going to do all the real touristy stuff they have on offer, i was just wondering if anyone out there knows of any traps or things to stay clear of.we are only there for 5 nights and dont want to waste any time. we snorkel, but not scuba. we will be there mid october, thanks

Re: hamilton island

by Anne12

Just be careful when driving the golf buggys things. Most hire one of these to drive around, drive carefully as I have heard of a few accidents on these.
Hire one, just be aware of the limitations on these things.

Re: hamilton island

by hendo4

thanks for that. can anyone tell me the cost of parasailing,jetski hire,go carting and any other things they have to offer?

Comments