Daydream Island, 4740, Australia

Satisfaction Average

Costs 72% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Daydream Island Resort & Spa

A Great Resort and Wonderful Spa

We recently had two nights on Daydream Island. We found a quality and friendly resort. Unfortunately the weather was poor due to the close proximity of Cylclone Larry so this had an impact on the watersports and excursions available , however, the resort went out of their way to provide alternative entertainment. The highlight of the island is a worldclass spa. Wonderful location , excellent helpful and friendly staff and first class spa treatments especially the Flowing Melody.

Enjoyable

by TripAdvisor Member redcoward

My husband and I stayed on Daydream Island in December 2005 for a week. The staff, food and drink were great. However, it was full of children (probably holiday time in Australia) and it was really, really noisy and busy around the pool. We managed to get sunbeds on the beach every day which was just beautiful - although no mattresses on the beds. We took a catamaran lesson and then took the catamarans out all the time - it was just wonderful! We also hired a glass bottomed tinny for the afternoon and took a bottle of wine and a packed lunch with us - idyllic and who would have thought that I was a better fisherman than my husband! However, the end of the island (where the cinema is) is full of staff every night and they can be quite boisterous. Rooms are nice and cleaned every afternoon. Spa is fantastic but v.v. expensive compared to London prices. We loved our holiday but would not go back.

Great Holiday - but beware of the watersports

Travelled with boyfriend - great holiday for families and couples. Food was expensive but to be expected on an island. Heaps of activities - always something to do and great pools to relax in. Only complaint was the watersports - access to free watersports is advertised heavily, but on arrival you will discover that they are not available for use very often - aways a reason - either the weather, the tide, or the lack of staff available to supervise! I had been to Daydream once before, when watersports were down the North end of the Island, where the tide is better. When i made further inquiries, i was told by a staff member that they dont really encourage use because it doesn't make them any money. Daydream Island needs to address this problem, or they will risk losing customers. Watersports should be run from both ends of the Island to ensure that customers can use them whatever the tide, and whatever the weather!

A lovely time

by TripAdvisor Member Kitten8r

My boyfriend & I stayed on Daydream Island for 3 nights last September during our visit to Australia. I've read some of the bad reviews here and I'm glad that I didn't read them before we went, because that might have changed my mind about going, and that would have been a shame. The place is not perfect -- we did have a couple of snafus, such as the wrong luggage being delivered to our room and a couple of room charges on our bill that were not ours. But the staff was friendly and helpful, and they fixed the problems promptly. We did see some other guests who seemed determined to have a bad time, such as the family with a screaming child who complained about waiting over 4 hours for their room...no big surprise considering that at the time it was still 20 minutes before check-in.

The resort was very bright and colorful. The decor and the daily activities list reminded me of being on a cruise ship. The island is not very large - you can stroll from one end to the other in about 10 minutes (if you don't want to walk there are golf carts during certain hours that will pick you up and drop you off). There were more families with children than we expected...then again we were there during the Queensland school holiday. I wouldn't really characterize it as a wedding/honeymoon spot, but we found romantic moments from time to time. And the restaurant Waterfalls has an adult-only dining room, which I thought was a nice idea. My suggestion is to go with the flow, don't obsess about any tiny thing that goes wrong, and just have fun. We went on a day trip to the reef one day, rented a boat for a couple of hours on another, attended the barramundi and stingray feedings, had a blast playing mini golf... We went to one of the outdoor movies, which was a neat experience. I wouldn't stay there for as long as a week, but I did wish we'd had one more night on the island. All in all, we had a lovely time on Daydream Island.

children love it

by TripAdvisor Member blackness

We went there 8-Jun till 11 Jun, the weather was bad. It rained everyday and we only had one afternoon which had a bit of sunshine otherwise we could do a bit more.

On 8th, we arrived late afternoon so didn't manage to do much. And it gets dark soon so we were going to have a spa but there's no light around there. We had a good Italian buffet in Waterfall restaurant. It was really yummy especially the minestrone soup. Adult is $39 and child is $6. It was nice.

On 9th, we looked round the island and walked from south to north side of island with the children. Great walk and scenary, nice and polite people around. Because of the rain, we spent some time doing shopping in Ginger Hut and tried to do mini golf and took some photos. At night we had dinner in Fishbowl, the dinner was average and price is about $20 average for adult. It's alright.

On 10th, we managed to do kayaking and banana boat ride. The children love them very much. Then we had spa before it gets dark. It was really good. At night, we had Seafood buffet in Waterfall. My husband liked the seafood and mentioned it was fresh and nice.

The night entertainment we had Craig Bowen singing and playing music, we bought his CD for $20. It was enjoyable. The children also tried to play snooker as well in the Atrium area.

We left 0n 11th. On the whole, it was great experience for our 7 yrs old and 6 yrs old and even my toddler. Now they know what an island looks like and feels like.

The room was okay but the cleaniness was average but we could live with that.

I would recommend it to anybody who wants to have a break from busy city lives.

Short stay would be better than long stay. We didn't take the kids to great barrier reef this time as they are too little to go really but we will come again when they are bigger for sure.

Certainly weather plays a big part whether you enjoy it to the fullness of the trip. Other than that, good, take a trip to go to Daydream island. You will like it.

Finally, bring some fruit of your own is recommended.

Not bad but very much a resort

My wife and I stayed for a week whilst on a 3 week Australian holiday. Don't expect luxury adult seclusion. This place is family orientated. A band welcomes you off the ferry, you are given shell necklaces on arrival, activities are planned for the evenings etc.

The rooms are good, the Spa is world class and there is good access to a lot of the wonderful activities like sailing and diving available in the Whitsundays. However the service is poor and the food in the main restaurant is abysmal (there are two others that are ok) and the family resort approach may not suit everyone.

Daydream is one of the better Whitsunday resorts. Although that doesn't say much for the Whitsunday resorts.

Great Island, Great Prices, Good Value

Im quite surprised by some of the reviews in this section. We had a group of 16 ppl attend the island in Jan 06 and I cannot fault the island much at all.

The island was exactly like the brochure states. It is completely family orientated and they looked after our group wonderfully well, we had children ranging from 6months to 12years.

Maybe I knew what to expect since I have visited most of the other islands, and I rate Daydream as number one! Hamilton Island is like my local suburb these days.

If you want to relax by the pool (they have great kiddies pools to), enjoy water activities, snorkel, swim etc Id really recommend it.

The only thing that did get my attnetion was the cleaning staff, I had two cups in my room for two days though that just took a quick call to housekeeping and from them it was completely fixed.

Great Island!!

Fun in the Sun but bring your own food!

by TripAdvisor Member BlueDevilTraveler

I was here over Christmas with my sister and family. We were able to get adjoining rooms. The rooms were great and the view was spectacular. Our only complaint was the food, we spent 5 days here and couldn't wait to leave to eat when our trip ended! The food was expensive and terrible. Our best food was the all you can eat breakfast in the AM. Waterfalls was way overpriced and disappointing. The last ferry came back too late to be able to eat off the island. There was no internet access while we were there so leave your laptop behind!

Not as good as marketing promised

Daydream is a nice island but too commercial and doesn't deliver whats promised. The weather was unusually cold for August, so we found the south side of the island (shops,pool- bars ect) to be mostly closed & deserted, some bar staff in the foyer bar were rude & chose to chat amongst themselves rather than serve. The activities such as yoga are only held on one night a week, so if you're not there on that night then too bad. The room was only average clean and we had a problem with trails of ants coming in (which was addressed on our last night & we were moved to a different room). Activities such as mini golf incurred a fee ($10 from memory), & the food was overpriced for the quality, over-all the staff weren't friendly and mostly walked around with sour faces, even when we smiled and said hello to them. The biggest disappointment was a open - helicopter ride which we booked but the weather changed to cold & gloomy, but still the company didn't cancel and dropped us off on a deserted island, with the 'gourment' lunch (a sandwich and bottle of wine, hardly gourmet). We huddled, freezing next to a tree stump in the rain for an hour awaiting the chopper's return! At least we could get drunk! (this cost $500)! They said the pilot would tell us about the islands during the flight, ..he showed no interested in talking to us. We talked to the resort co-ordinator about this and they said it was nothing to do with daydream (although booked at this counter!, I was hoping for maybe another ride, or at least a discount). The dayspa services were nice (although the massage/wrap cost us over $400), so basically, my advice is, take more money that you expect to spend!

The pools/hot tubs were nice, and the nightly music entertainment/band is great. Our best day in the whitsundays was on hamilton island, I'd go back to hamilton tomorrow! Also, we were looking for a couples island, which daydream is advertised at, but it's more for families.

Queensland

by robertgaz

"Queensland"

Queensland is Australia's second largest state after Western Australia and also the third most populous after New South Wales and Victoria.

Queensland is well known as the Sunshine State because it enjoys so much warm weather throughout the year and a lot of the state is in the tropics.

Queenslanders are referred to as 'Banana Benders' due to the large banana plantations in the tropics or 'Canetoads' in reference to the cane toad that was imported to rid the sugar cane fields of cane beetle pest.

Tourism is Queensland's leading industry with millions of interstate and overseas visitors flocking here each year. Queensland is a state of contrasts from sunny tropical coastal areas, lush rainforests to dry inland areas.

Some of he main tourist destinations of Queensland include:

- Gold Coast
- Sunshine Coast
- Hervey Bay/Fraser Island
- Brisbane
- Whitsundays (Airlie Beach, Whitehaven Beach, Hamilton Island, Daydream Island)
- Far North Queensland (Cairns, Port Douglas,The Daintree)
- and naturally the world famous Great Barrier Reef!

Daydream IslandDaydream Island

Daydream IslandDaydream Island

which queensland island?

by retrobabe

Hi there,

I am seeking advice before booking a holiday next year in March to Queensland Australia. We want to go to an island. I have done a lot of reading and price comparing and have come up with either Voyages Heron Island, Green Island, or Brampton Island as suitable for our budgets and needs. #We just want a nice holiday with not TOO many kids around, reasonably good quality food (musn't be 5 star, silver sppon but good variety and fresh etc..) and just to lie on the beach and do a bit of walking. I will be 5 months pregnant so hard sports and activities are not really important but a BIT of activity choice wouldn't be bad for my husband but it musn't be go go go with a raging nightlife all the time.
I would appreciate any thoughts from people familiar with the Whitsundays and tropical North Queensland as to what is good and what not, the food at these resorts, beauty,things to do, walking oppourtunities, weather etc.....

Thanks in advance

Michelle

RE: which queensland island?

by Couplesynergy

Hi MIchelle,
I haven't been to Heron Island but have been to Green and Brampton and would recommend Brampton. Nice accommodation and nice romantic meals. It is couple orientated but as with most islands there is not a lot of action. I get very bored just being on one island. We were at Daydream Island recently and that has been revampted and is looking very nice. It is closer to the rest of the Whitsunday Islands so you could do some sightseeing and gentle snorkelling around the other islands and visit Whitehaven Beach. They have movies on the beach on Daydream three times a week and that was fun. There are a lot of families there though. You should also check out www.seastarcruising.com.au you could get a boat yourselves and cruise around to all the islands and use their facilities or just anchor in a little bay somewhere by yourselves. Because its a power cat there is no heavy work involved and you don't need a boat licence.
If you go to the Whitsundays I can strongly recommend snorkelling at Blue Pearl Bay (Hayman Island) and Mantra Ray Bay (Hook Island). Have fun and enjoy yourselves.

RE: which queensland island?

by colin_bramso

I agree with that - Brampton or Daydream.

RE: RE: which queensland island?

by Kate-Me

I vote for Brampton too ;-)
We honeymooned there and there were no kids around. Plenty of tropical birds, the accom was nice, island is not too big so you can walk right around it, and best of all, great snorkelling from the beach. One of my best memories is of walking through 'clouds' of blue butterflies.

Good luck!