Magnetic Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• Innapeartree profile photo Innapeartree
  • Reviews: 2

Forest Haven: Magnetic Island - best value accomodation

I heard of this hostel through Pleasure Divers, where I did a diving course. The accomodation was included and consisted of a stay at Forest Haven. Having just spent 2 nights at Bungalow Bay YHA, I just wish I had heard of this hostel before. I paid AUD25 a night in Bungalow Bay for an 8-person dorm room with no AC, just one single slow fan. The sheets had stains on them and the mattresses were covered in a kind of plastic cover, which made sleeping on them a very hot affair, even with a bedcover on top. Moreover, there was only one kitchen for the entire, 100-person facility.
At Forest Haven, I paid AUD 15 a night for a 4-person room with aircon and a kitchen shared between 6 people. It was very quiet, so we were only two in the room and three sharing the kitchen. The only disadvantage was that there was no bathroom next to the room - we had to cross the courtyard to get to the common bathroom. Otherwise, as mentionned before, it is very quiet so perhaps not the best place for socializing - but for families or people looking for somewhere calm and more private to stay for a really reasonable price, I'd definitely recommend it!

- Pool
- Wifi was not availiable when I stayed there, but you could just walk down to the hotel 4 minutes away and use the paying wifi or computers there. The prices for internet access are the same as at the YHA.
- 5 minutes walk from the beach (Alma Bay or Geoffrey Bay)
- 2 minutes from the bus stop

• Written December 19, 2011

• Openseas profile photo Openseas
  • Reviews: 832

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

My top Picks: My top picks.

I'm writing this for others whom may benefit if looking for suitable accommodation in Magnetic Island.

There is heaps of new developments happening at the moment, so there will be some serious changes regarding this topic. Here are my picks, starting from 5 stars.

Peppers - Nelly Bay www.peppers.com.au
Mantra Apartments - Nelly Bay www.mantraapartments.com.au
Bright Point Deluxe - www.brightpointdeluxe.com.au

Overview of above : These 5 star establishments are just new and feel slightly isolated and overdeveloped, however they offer 5 star facilities and the buildings are very modern and chic. To me, I would have preferred if they were in Horseshoe Bay or even Picnic bay, Nelly Bay is just Okay and nothing special compared to the other areas on the island.

Magnetic International Resort - www.magneticresort.com

Magnetic Island has heaps of accommodation from budget to 5 stars. Check out the website for additional places to stay.

www.magnetic-island.com.au

• Related to: Sailing and Boating, Beaches, Adventure Travel
  • Written December 14, 2007

• northeast80 profile photo northeast80
  • Reviews: 224

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bungalow Bay

What a lovely setting this place was.
Everyone, no matter if you were in an 8 bed room or a double you were in lovely en-suite huts at AU$20 per night I thought this place was very reasonable.
A good kitchen block but there's also a good bar that serves lovely Thai food cheaply.
I liked the atmosphere of this place, though I suppose it depends on the people who are there more than anything.
There was a pool, but with the sea so close why bother? (Well I suppose it comes in handy during stinger season).
I hired a snorkle and flippers for the day for AU$12 and the people on reception told me where was good to go. (Florence Bay, Arthur Bay)

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Beaches
  • Written February 10, 2007

• Shnazzystacey profile photo Shnazzystacey
  • Reviews: 8

Maggie's Beach House: Place to be in Horseshoe Bay

Maggies best aspect is that it is right across the street from the beach. I also noticed that it happens to be one of the only hostels in the horseshoe bay area. We stayed for 6 days and it was my favorite hostel/hotel/motel that we stayed in. Clean sheets, nice but never used pool, internet access, and a free kitchen.

Free live music concerts every friday night.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Diving and Snorkeling, Backpacking
  • Written November 2, 2005

• helen50 profile photo helen50
  • Reviews: 3

Sunmmer Haze: Self-Catering accommodation Horseshoe Bay

We stayed at Summer Haze, which is self-catering accommodation in Gifford Street, Horseshoe Bay. The two-bedroom house was large and roomy with a very large garden for our boys to run around and play frequent games of cricket!

The house sleeps up to 5 people with two double beds, and one single. It’s a short drive down to the beach and shops and there is horse riding and a skateboard park close by. The house was clean and tidy and we will certainly stay there again.

Very quiet location with bush views, great for kids.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: National/State Park, Birdwatching, Family Travel
  • Written September 4, 2005

Summer Haze

• phoebelosophy profile photo phoebelosophy
  • Reviews: 47

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

BASE backpackers: The only backpacker's ON the beach

OK, so there are two sides to BASE backpackers -

PROS
* It's got rooms with FANTASTIC views (ie - Rocky Bay rooms)
* There are plenty of friendly backpackers
* It holds a monthly 'Full Moon Party' with special guest stars who are usually well-known DJs or bands (eg. Jebediah - local Australian band)

CONS
* It's expensive to stay in the "good" rooms (eg. $90/night in the Rocky Bay rooms)
* The management of the place is pretty bad - they don't really know what's going on and stuffed up our bill!

It was a really pretty place with green grass to sunbake upon within the accommodation grounds as well as a pool, scuba lessons/equipment, beachfront, great views, HOWEVER - the kitchen had limited utensils and the toaster was not available for TWO days! (Again - horrible management)

HOWEVER - we managed to get a $100 bar tab plus we got to stay for 1 night in the Rocky Bay rooms with our friends... so it all worked out well!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, National/State Park, Beaches
  • Written August 13, 2005

front of BASE backpackers

• angela80 profile photo angela80
  • Reviews: 79

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Geoff`s Place: One of the islands popular places for travellers!

There`s a great campground and eight-bed cabins.
There are meals available at the bar. Almost every evening they organise a poolcompetition, quiz, limbodancing or something else........
The bar is outside........just say a skybar!!

Possums and other animals walking around every evening........so don`t be scared!!

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written January 16, 2005
Tip Photo

• bluesmama profile photo bluesmama
  • Reviews: 302

Geoff's Place: Great fun

We stayed in a 8-bed cabin. It had it's own bathroom including a live green frog.
It was a bit of party place, lots of things going on in the evening but our cabin was so far away from the central area that it didn't bother us there.
There was a huge saltwater pool where we played volleyball.

Courtesybus dropped us off at the Forts walk.
Different types of accomodation, also tent sites.
Possible to rent mountain bikes.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Budget Travel, Beaches
  • Written May 25, 2004

Horseshoe Bay from the forts

• Dani_aus profile photo Dani_aus
  • Reviews: 35

Travellers Backpackers Resort: hang with a pet CROCODILE

i havnt stayed here, but i did go for a quick drink... looks like a great place...
and to my suprise i found their pet crocodile named rin tin tin
and a pet rooster called redgie (not crooc food!!!!!)

the crocodile!