4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Walk at Horseshoe BayWalk at Horseshoe Bay

Horseshoe BayHorseshoe Bay

Magnetic Island - Horseshoe BayMagnetic Island - Horseshoe Bay

Rock WallabiesRock Wallabies

Is Nelly Bay a good location to stay for couple with a baby?

by NewParents

My husband and I are looking for a much needed holiday, our first since our baby was born (she is 7 months old). Is Magnetic Island a suitable destination or is it more for young backpackers? Can anyone suggest a good place to stay? We are looking for peace and quiet and good swimming and snorkeling. Any suggestions most welcome.

Re: Is Nelly Bay a good location to stay for couple with a baby?

by northeast80

I stayed at Horseshoe bay (At the Bungalow bay backpackers) and it was very peaceful, though I suppose you can never predict your neighbours, the beach was quiet and peaceful, there's private family places to rent and shared huts, a large bar that does nice Thai food, pool, and seperate shared kitchen.
I wouldnt say the island is a backpakers place, there was a large mix of people when I went, just stay away from the Base Backpackers I've heard no end of bad things about these hostels.
Nelly Bay seemed quite quiet and close to the ferry terminal, ie. not much going on, but I suppose it depends what you want, the beach was narrow with an odd steep step of sand down, though this could have just been the tide.
The Forts Walk is lovely to do, there's so much wildlife on the Island, I loved it, there's so many quiet walks to do, i did lots and hardly passed anyone.
Arthur Bay had more fish than coral whilst snorkling, Alma Bay was very busy, Florence Bay was good for snorkling, Balding Bay is aparently a nudist beach, there's a quirky art gallery on the road from Horseshoe Bay where an artist has made 'art' from dead cane toads!
It is a lovely island.
Good luck

Re: Is Nelly Bay a good location to stay for couple with a baby?

by earthflyer

It's been a few years since 1999 now but Magnetic island still sounds the same, I agree with the above statement on Magnetic Islands but it is a very nice Island.

Travel Tips for Magnetic Island

Sunrise over the beach

by Kate-Me

One of my favourite memories of Magnetic Island is getting up at 6 am in the morning (and I never get up early!!) when there was almost nobody about at all, and taking the 3 min walk to the beach at Picnic Bay, walking out along the pier and watching the tropical fish swimming below in the clear green water, and then taking a short walk on the beach, watching the sun rise behind one of the hills and light up the palm trees.

Hire Car from Magnetic Island.

by Openseas

For car hire on Magnetic Island there are a few to choose between the most popular being the moke or topless car.

MI Wheel car hire is located just 30secs away at Nelly Bay terminal. PH : (07) 4758 1111

Moke Magnetic can be located at Nelly Bay at the Wharf. PH: (07) 4778 5377

Thrifty also operates with a pick-up and drop off service (07) 4778 5955

Rock Wallabies

by stevezero

Near the quay where the the car ferry from Townsville docks, there is a colony of Rock Wallabies. They live amongst the rocks of the steep hillside.
They come out to play in the late afternnon sunshine and can be seen hopping around the rocks and later on the quayside.
you can feed them as they are fairly tame, but dont forget that they are naturally vegitarians

Horseriding

by Openseas

Beach Horse Riding can be found at Horseshoe Bay.

At Blueys Horse Ranch - Tel 47 785 109

33 Gifford Street Horseshoe Bay www.blueyshorseranch.com

Tour > 9am & 3pm 2 hr bush and beach rides.

Compasses do work here

by northeast80

Got a deal through the hostel in Townsville and stayed a few extra nights.
Saw koalas and echidnas, walked to beaches you can only get to on foot, through old forts and boulder strewn landscapes.
Stayed at Bungalow Bay on Horseshoe Bay in, guess what, bungalows.
Met a strange German and some great Irish, who gave me their cheap wine to finish (ooh the hangovers)

Koalas on the Forts Walk, sorry I can't edit photos on this so you'll have to get the magnifying glass out, and turn your head.
Also saw an owl kill a bird then a crow try to steal it. You do have to find small pleasures occasionally.

I walked a lot on Magnetic Island, it isn't that big after all. Horseshoe Bay beach was lovely and long, I sun bathed here a few times, there are a few bars but it was very quiet, I walked past Balding (a nudist one aparently) and Radical Bays. Stopped at Florence Bay and snorkled and sunbathed, I did the Forts Walk from here which was great, a self guided walk through the old forts, I saw so much wildlife on my walks and hardly saw any cars well the roads are not good, only 4WD material really. I snorkled at Arthur Bay, though there was more fish than coral on this bay. Another day I walked to Alma Bay via an art gallery with art made from dead cane toads! Once in Alma Bay I went to a garage sale and the Arcadia Pottery Gallery with a range of local potters work. Swimming in Alma Bay was good, but a busy one. Walked on Geoffrey Bay with lots of coral on the waters edge, had a cappucino and cream bun near Nelly Bay, by that point my ankle was hurting so I got the bus back at $3.

Comments