Quality Inn Burke & Wills

More about Mount Isa

WaterfallWaterfall

WaterfallWaterfall

Jr Turanga SupermarketJr Turanga Supermarket

one of the caravansone of the caravans

For the locals: How is living in Mount Isa?

HI guys....

Am new at VirtualTourist and just found some pretty good info from members regarding Mount Isa.

I'm currently looking at working there, its not sure yet as my application is still up in the air but I'd like to get as much info on the Isa as I can just in case. So here are my questions for those who care to reply :)

1. Is a car a necessity? How much is a trusty 2nd hand car there?
2. How about rental accomodations? I've read that its pretty tough to get vacancies for most flats. Is this still true?
3. How is the nightlife there?
4. Is pollution a problem? Any public health concerns on those smelter fumes?
5. Any other info you can share for possible newcomers there?

Thanks in advance for any bit of info you can give...

Ron.

RE: For the locals: How is living in Mount Isa?

by Anne12

Hi,

There is a VT member that lives and works in Mount Isa. Her name here is eviltooth I would suggest to have a look at her pages and I am sure she wouldn't mind if you sent an email and asked some of your questions. It would be great for you to hear the answers to all the above questions from someone that actually is experiencing life in Mount Isa

Hope all goes to plan
Cheers
Anne

by aussirose

G'day Ron. Well I've never been to Mt. Isa but just dropped by to welcome you to vt and hope you enjoy Oz. Hey Anne :o) great idea!! See Ron?... vt is a wonderful little helpful community. Hope you stick around and enjoy the fun!! Cheers, Ann :o)

by rondelacruz

Thanks! I've checked eviltooh's pages and have also sent a comment down to her. :)

Hi Jennine,

Thanks for the info!

Ive just gotten the job offer! I'm looking forward to moving there in Australia (hopefully permanently and begin a new life there).

Thanks for the reply on the car. I guess I'll sell my car here (pretty new, bought it last June 2004 fr a local Honda dealer).. but the way exchange rates go, I guess it'll be just enough to scrape for a 2nd hand one there.

Ok... got to focus on getting the visa (hopefully this goes through without any glitches/delays) and start doing some financial planning on the move (I'm thinking of not selling all my assets here just yet until after my probationary period there)

Thanks for all the tips guys. Hope to meet some of you there soon.

by Akenn

Hi Ron :)

My name is Anna & I am transferring to Mount Isa next year. I was looking up the lastest Mount Isa info when I stumbled across this site & saw your message so I thought I'd email you.

I have already done 41/2 years in Mount Isa from 1995 - 2000 so that fact that I have volunteered to go back for another 3 year stint means it has something to offer - but it does take a bit getting used to, especially if you've indulged in a metropolitan lifestyle :)

Just curious... have you already arrived in Mount Isa? If so, let me know your thoughts. If not, I'm happy to answer your questions.

Hope this gets to you :)a.

Hi Anna!

Yep.. Ive been here at Mount Isa for almost 2 months now...

I really like it here and the people are just wonderfull. Very welcoming.

As for new stuff... Buff's is really evolving to a great club and giving the Irish Club a run for its money. I still prefer the Irish though when I want to get a nice cup of coffee in late afternoons and the dance clubs is exceptional during late evenings with friends.

If you have any questions on new stuff to see, just tell me and Ill help you out...

mail@rondelacruz.org
www.rondelacruz.org

by aussirose

Well fancy that Ron!! ... after all this time :o) Hey it's real nice to see you are enjoying the place. Don't forget to let us know when you have posted a few pix. And thanx for remembering us here on vt :o) Cheers, Ann.

by Anne12

Great news Ron, glad you are enjoying your Aus experience.
It's great to hear from you, I have wondered a few times if you made it to Aus.
Cheers
Anne

Travel Tips for Mount Isa

Off road driving

by eviltooth

Are you a 4x4 freak? If the answer is yes, the Isa is the place for you! :)

The great Outback is just 5 minutes out of town. With the recent rain, you get flood plains and puddles here and there for some actions, not the mention the flooded river crossing. ;)

Pic shows my beloved Freelander that just went through the overflowed Leichardt River into the outback. 4x4, water, food, torchlight, Swiss army knife, matchsticks, firestarter, fuel, cattle dog, use your common sense :p

You`re not a real Aussie `til you`ve been to......

by angela80

"THE ISA"

Stayed 2,5 months in the Isa. Girls you find more blokes than anywhere else :-)

Why?
You`ll find one of the world largest underground mines rich of copper, silver, lead and zinc in The Isa. The world`s top three producer of silver and top 10 of copper and zinc. It`s locally known as a rough and ready but prosperous town and job oppertunities have attracted people from about 60 different ethnic groups.

"Major attractions;"

- the Mine
- Lake Mandoora
- rodeo in August

"Argylla caravan Village"

My hometown in Australia is the Isa. Cause I stayed 2,5 months at argylla caravan village. Spend my time working in Jr Turanga Supermarket and Laura Johnson Home. Get to know the local people and the area around the Isa.

Its worth staying a couple of days just visiting the major attractions. Get into the local people and pubs.

The Gulf country.

by laughingsun69

"Gregory downs"

Hi i recently discovered i had relatives at gregory downs so i thought id pay them a visit ,it was a very enjoyable experience in lots of ways .It turns out my incle Elton owns a cattle station here thats 450 square kms and he runs approx 10,000 head of cattle give or take a 1000 as cattle rustling still happens in these parts ,considering it can take you a day to get to some of the most extreme perimeters, we know its happening but we more or less have to catch them red handed to proof it and also have to be careful not to confront them alone or theres a good chance youll end up as road kill.

"the gregory pub"

Hi to pass through this town in the day you could be forgiven in thinking that no one lives here ,but come friday night people come in from the surrounding cattle stations to let there hair hang down,well thats an understatement they go crazy !

My 9 to 5 weekdays hideout

by eviltooth

"Dentist, Insurance, Lawyers (?!)"

Can't help wondering whether this is really a coincidence. Insurance and lawyers right next door!

Have you notice that almost every dentists have an aquarium in their clinics? Do the fish really help calm the anxious and nervous patient down? I doubt so!

Don't worry, Scott doesn't have a niece who needs orthodontic treamtment. (If you haven't seen Finding Nemo go see it now! :p)

"Where the actions begin"

So you don't wanna be here? Neither do I! :p

See the computer monitor like thing? That's the computer monitor for the intra-oral camera. :p Also have broadband internet access! Hope my boss doesn't catch me on VT while the patient's in the chair!

First the fish, now some greens for your eyes. Is green suppose to be a calming colour???

The chair in this room doesn't work and is used for patient recovery. No, the patient didn't faint during the procedures. :p We practice nitrous oxide sedation (in other word, put patient who tends to faint to partial sleep before they faint). ;)

"The corridor"

Leading to the action rooms. Hanging on the wall are hand drawn city maps from Japan and England.

"The other end of the corridor"

Doesn't look as nice as the patient's waiting area, this place is for the dentists, nurses and receptionists.

Also leads to the backdoor for dentist who's too afraid of the patient to sneak out.

Comments