Coral Sea Villas Port Douglas

More about Port Douglas

Wooroonooran NP - MaMu Canopy WalkWooroonooran NP - MaMu Canopy Walk

Wildlife SanctuaryWildlife Sanctuary

Four Mile Beach at sunsetFour Mile Beach at sunset

Wavedancer on its way back from the Low IslesWavedancer on its way back from the Low Isles

accommadation advice

by patsy7

I am coming to Port Douglas in may,will be travelling alone,Looking for a very cheap apartment.I have found The mango tree,& archpelago.wonder if anyone has sayed there recently & what they thought of them.Im looking for something self contained,where I can cook for myself.I shall be there for about 7 days maybe a little more.I am awaiting the birth of my little grandaughter,after which my daughter needs me to go & help,so I am on standby from the end of May!
This is a chance for me to see a part of Australia that I have wantedto see[I live in UK] Also what is the weather like at this time of year?
sorry for the long message,grateful for any help.
Nana in transit

Re: accommadation advice

by ricky52

Due to extreme climatic changes the World is experiencing at the moment, trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local, on the day variations.
Most places now are seeing weather conditions well outside the norm.
The information below should be used as a guide only.

Here is the average weather for Port Douglas for this time of year.
Enjoy your holiday.

Sea temp 79f / 26c

Re: accommadation advice

by Anne12

Hi there,
You will love Port Douglas:) It is one of my favourite places.
I live in Cairns, just down the road from Port.
I have stayed at the Mango Tree many years ago and it was OK then. You can walk to the town area from there.
A place that I have stayed at a number of times is the the Tropic Breeze Van Village. This has a small amount of units at the back of the park. They are great and good value. They have cook top,microwave, fridge, ceiling fans and I think aircon and TV plus there is a nice pool in this park and it was very well managed, not a lot of noise.
The units have sliding doors onto a garden area and you can see the 4 mile beach from here. It's only a short walk to the beach, short walk to the shops.
There are only about 6 units( approx) and you have shared toilets and bathrooms. This wasn't a huge problem as only the unit residents were allowed to use these and I requested a unit close to the female toilet/shower area.
I felt safe and secure here.It's an older type accommodation, but clean and affordable, I think they gave a discount for a weeks stay.
Here is a site with some photos.

Port is an easy town to walk around and has many shops and a supermarket etc. Also it has cheap cafe's that you can get a good meal.

The weather is May will be hot , but the humidity will have gone down a peg or two from what it is now.The month of May is usually the turning point, the wet season is ending ( I hope!!) you will get some rain, but it doesn't cool down, just rains:) and you will get beautiful sunny days...perfect! All up to the weather Gods!!
If you need any other info, just email me and I will do my best to help:)

Travel Tips for Port Douglas

Salsa Bar & Grill

by sue_stone about Salsa Bar & Grill

The best meal we have had in Port Douglas to date was at Salsa Bar & Grill. This is a stylish looking restaurant located in a traditional 'weatherboard Queenslander' with inside and outside dining, located across the road from the inlet.

We took my parents there for a meal one night and all had a great evening. Service was a little more upmarket than other places we had dined in the area, though still friendly and helpful. The good quality food was fresh and well presented. The highlight of the meal was an amazing chocolate souffle - worth going back for!

Quicksilver Outer Reef Cruise - Great Barrier Reef

by saraheg77

Quicksilver has several options, but this tip is for Agincourt on the Outer Reef cruise. The price for the minimum cruise is $189/adult and $94/children 4-14, free under 4

This includes:
Morning and afternoon teas
Reef presentation by marine biologist.
Hot and cold tropical buffet lunch.
All snorkelling equipment
Return Wavepiercer cruise from Port Douglas
Qualified snorkelling safety officers
Underwater observatory fish & coral viewing
Coral viewing by semi-submersibles
Fish feeding by crew

I have been twice and did the minimum both times and had plenty to do. The trip out takes an hour an a half to arrive by 11. You are on the pontoon til about 2:30. Lunch is served from 12-1:30. When I took my parents, we went straight to a semi-submersible for an easy ride around to view some fish, coral and even a sea turtle. On my previous trip we saw a reef shark. Then we went for a bit of snorkelling, then out for a little lunch (the lunch is a nice buffet of cold salads, bread, meats, cheese, chicken, and some rice and two hot dishes to put over rice... it is plenty to fill up on and you can eat as much as you like. Drinks are extra or you can get a small cup and water out of the water fountain).

After lunch, my dad and I went for more snorkelling while Mom watched and also took another semi-sub ride. There is something for everyone to enjoy on this trip, even if they don't want to get in the water.

Extras:

Guided Snorkel Tour with Marine Biologist - $58
Introd Diving [w/All Equipment] 1 Dive - $134
Certified Diving [w/All Equipment] 1 Dive - $92, 2 Dives - $134
Ocean Walker - $134
Helicopter Scenic Flights - 10 minutes $125

My husband did the intro dive and although it was a bit to get used to for his first time scuba diving, he really enjoyed it and said the instructor was excellent and really made them feel safe. The photographer got some great photos of him.

I recommend this if some in your party want to stay dry, but if everyone plans to snorkel or dive, try Haba Dive - see my other tip.

Dicksons Inlet

by leffe3

Built on the estuary, Morey Reef and the Coral Sea, the historic Sugar Wharf, the new marina and a tiny beach form the town end of Dicksons Inlet, with mangrove-lined swamps to be found further inland - a boat trip here will provide plenty of opportunities to spot crocodiles basking in the sun.

The Only word here is WOW.

by ATXtraveler

"Not much more describes this..."

With three people in the car on a roadtrip for 7 days, sometimes the conversation can get a little stale. After all, the average person can not save up enough to talk about and evenly distribute the conversation across the whole trip.

This is not the case when you travel to Port Douglas and the surrounding areas. There was never more than 10 minutes without one of the three of us spotting an opportunity to point, comment wow, then proceed to inform the other two of the sight being witnessed.

From a scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef, to a outback road drive to Cooktown, to a tropical rainforest canopy walk in Daintree National Park, a week in Port Douglas would never be enough. But alas, with 7 days.... we made the most of it!

Comments