3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Pink Flamingo

Just Lovely And As Expected

by TripAdvisor Member Rylla

Having read numerous other reviews, I decided this was the place to be. And not disappointed one little bit. Quaint quirky relaxed and Sam and Cath were so friendly. Even the bad weather didn't spoil our little holiday. Off to the UK next but I will be recommending this piece of private heaven to everyone I know.
Cheers. Amy

Great unique place

by TripAdvisor Member olig

Fantastic place! Really friendly. Gay or straight, everyone seems to be genuinely welcome! Great gardens and pool. Room was lovely, as was the private courtyard bath and shower.

They have a good selection of books, dvds and videos to borrow too. Really great. The beach is a bit of a stroll, but that's no problem. The rooms are secluded & vibrantly painted in bright, lively modern colours.

if you want to cook a meal or breakie for one the days you are there, the small kitchen section of the room is stocked with basics. You can even grab some fresh herbs from the garden near the pool!

My only criticism is that due to the modern design & configuration, there are no blinds or curtains. When it's light, that can make it hard to sleep. However, they do provide eye shades (similar to the ones provided by airlines).

I would recommend the place. You even get Qantas Frequent flyer points for staying... how good is that!

Paradise Found

by TripAdvisor Member mammageek

The Pink Flamingo is a nicely kept secret in Port Douglas. We spent 11 nights in the most striking and sensational resort.

When walking through the gates I felt as though I had been transported to some remote Tahitian rainforest paradise. The gardens are gorgeous. The villa itself was nothing short of exquisite. A small private courtyard lies behind the villa walls with a little table for two, a hammock to while away my hours reading in, an out door tub for 2 to share. Indoors, the brightly colored villa is made up of 2 rooms with a small galley kitchen outfitted with everything (fridge, cooktop, microwave, pots, pans, dishes, glassware) you need for making a wonderful dinner out on the gas barbie. (Barbeques sauce, spices,tongs, aluminum foil) There is even a free laundry area for washing and drying clothes. These gals thought of everthing!!! All the comforts of home in a tropical paradise!!

The pool is heated and clean and situated in the beautifully manicured rainforest garden. Limes and other fruits and herbs grow in the garden and are left out for guests to use in their cooking or drinks. I bought rum just so I could have their juicy limes in a rum and coke.

The resort is a 15 minute walk into town but you can rent bikes directly at the resort. The 4 mile beach is about a 6 minute walk. Unfortunately, while the beach scenery is stunning, sitting on the beach was quite uncomfortable. The sand is compacted (people ride their bikes on the beach easily), so sunning yourself on the sand is like lying on a hardwood floor. So we opted for the pool instead.

Cath and Sam manage this property impeccably. And there is nothing they won't do for a guest. Cath, knowing that we wanted to go rafting the next day, called our snorkel boat so she could ask us whether the alternate arrangements for the rafting trip would be acceptable. Talk about going out of the way for a guest.

There is a sensuality that exudes from every corner of this resort.
Unfortunately I was there with my 21 year old daughter but next time I am going with my partner.

More style than substance?

by TripAdvisor Member romaxho

After reading a plethora of rave reviews about the Pink Flamingo, my wife and I recently spent a week there. Yes, its stylish, chic, hip, whatever - but what about a bit of balance here. Location is pretty average, it's not on the beachfront and it's a 15 minute walk to town. The architects and designers have done a wonderful job of converting a 1970's style motel into a very stylish, attractive establishment. But it's far from perfect. Conversations, visits to the bathroom, and other assorted noises from abutting 'villas' are clearly audible. There are no curtains or blinds so if you want to sleep in beyond 7am, your only choices are to either get smashed the night before or wear the airline-style sleeping mask that is provided. After reading the info on their website we expected there would be a Pink Flamingo cocktail waiting for us on arrival you - all we found a 250ml bottle of pink soft drink with a welcoming note in the fridge - disappointing. Disappointed also to learn that the yoga classes which also feature on their website are no longer run. Finally, be aware that this is a pet friendly establishment - like us you may find yourself woken in the middle of the night by a neighbour's crying, wimpering pooch. Friendly, efficient staff and very stylish but not without it's shortcomings.

An Ideal Winter Escape!

by TripAdvisor Member 2006Traveller

Our expectations were high considering the glowing reviews that the Pink Flamingo received on this site. We were ecstatic to find that they were all completely justified; from the lovely hosts Sam and Cath, to the stunning tropical garden and swimming pool, we enjoyed every moment at PF (when we weren't snorkeling, eating out or day tripping).

The villas are very cute and private, with funky and uplifting decor setting this place apart from the beige mediocrity of so many hotels and holiday apartments. Our hosts were incredibly helpful with their recommendations - let Sam and Cath point you in the right direction and even make your bookings. We would love to return in the near future.

You gotta try this place!

by TripAdvisor Member CdnBondGuy

The two of us (H/W mid 50s) stumbled onto the Pink Flamingo and consider it to the be one of the highlights of our three week trip to Australia and New Zealand.

Funky and fun without being goofy, quiet and relaxing without being boring, and cozy and cute without being bizarre, the PF is perfect as a base for exploring the Port Douglas area, including Four Mile Beach, the Daintree, and the Reef.

Units are a nice size, bed is good, kitchen is the right size for casual cooking, but gourmet cooks would find equipment lacking. I especially appreciated the coffee plunger and replenished supply of coffee. There is a small electric BBQ that we brought to our unit one night, but the propane BBQ near the pool is much larger and we cooked several meals, including prawns purchased (A$20 for a kg) at the dock in town.

The honour bar is handy, just in case you did not make it to town to buy some soft drinks after a hard day of fun. And, it you get too carried away, the free washers and dryers are just steps away.

On recommendation of Sam and Cath, we enjoyed our Wavelength day trip to the outer reef and the Malaita sailing trip to the Low Isles. Both vessels have small passenger loads (30 and 22 respectively) although the trip to the Low Isles forces you to share the water with several other boats and their passengers.

We also enjoyed our day with Tony's Tropical Tours -- Hans knew EVERYTHING about the rainforest plants!

PF is a nice (15 min ??) walk into Port Douglas, so we did not feel the need to try the bikes, but they looked to be in good shape.

While not on the beach, PF is close enough to walk to Four Mile, even when carrying beach chairs, etc.

The pool was warm and inviting , and the comfortable loungers kept us poolside longer than we may have spent otherwise.

The small size of the place meant it was never noisy when we were there, even when full. The mixture of gay and straight guests never seemed a problem with others and it certainly was not with us.

Should we be fortunate enough to return to the area, we would most certainly want to stay at the Pink Flamingo again, if only to check in with Friday the cat, as well as Sam and Cath and the others.

Don't Stay Here!!! Totally overated!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Vangogh09

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor my partner and I decided to stay here for 4 nights. What a big mistake . How this property is No 3 in the Port Douglas area, we will never understand. If you are after a 2 Star, moderate, backpacker style place to stay, fine, go ahead but traveller beware. When we checked in we noticed that there are no blinds or curtains on any windows. When the sun comes up so do you. Well, when I'm on holidays I like to choose when I get up. How insane!!! At night the garden lights beamed into our room and during the day you can't even have a nap. All the rooms are close together and whilst we were lying in bed we could hear the guest in the next room pissing in the toilet. Not nice!!! When they showered next door, we could hear it. For the price, this place is a rip off. After 4 nights of no sleep, we went and checked into the Sea Temple resort up the road. For $20 more a night, we got a 5 Star room, with Fluffy bathrobes, room service and a spa bath. Pure luxury!!!! And they have blinds on the balcony doors. Heaven!!!! Take our advice and stay elsewhere. You have been advised.

Stylish and friendly

by TripAdvisor Member Cassie77

We stayed at the Pink Flamingo for three nights in August, and really enjoyed the place. The units are probably the best designed hotel units I have ever seen. What used to be carports have been converted into outdoor patios, and high walls, big gate, and gorgeously landscaped gardens create complete visual privacy between the units. The outdoor bath/shower was a just wonderful and the outdoor and indoor spaces work incredibly together. The kitchen was good enough for simple cooking (why do you never get a simple straight edged chef's knive?) and the sunbed and hammock make for lovely curled up reading a book spaces. It is an intensely romantic atmosphere.
The negatives - well, the early morning light didn't bother us. Our room did have louvres on the windows next to the bed, but, yes, it is a very light space. Neither my partner nor I are bothered by that, but if you need darkness to sleep in, you won't get it here. And yes, the units are actually set right next to each other, and the sound carries. It isn't a fancy five star hotel and doesn't pretend to be, or frankly charge like one. No room service, no late night reception, just lovely warm hosts who have invested in the place, rather than casual staff, and a beautiful, not sanitised, feel. We looked forward to coming back there every night, and we would stay there again if we go to Port Douglas.

perfect paradise

by TripAdvisor Member libragav

What more can be said about PF its perfect.
Staff 10 out of 10
Decor 10 out of 10
Location 10 out of 10
My partner nad I enjoyed a peaceful, tranquil week at PF

Wildlife HabitatWildlife Habitat

Feeding the wallabiesFeeding the wallabies

Cane Toad RacingCane Toad Racing