3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

31-33 Mowbray Street, Port Douglas, Queensland, 4877, Australia

Agoda.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

- don't mess with the manager

Our first entry into Port Douglas Retreat did not exactly instill confidence for a happy stay. I had pre-booked a total of 12 nights for what is termed a “tree view room” and had to pay a deposit of over $A600 as security. When we arrived I asked a charming Asian lady if I could see the booked room PRIOR to handing over my credit card to pay the balance of over $900. I was very curtly reminded by the male manager that I was within the 7 day cancellation period (the unsaid was that I would be liable for the entire amount if I walked away there and then). I’ve been caught before and was not going to be caught again. It was not a great start to our stay in Port Douglas.

The property is fine and has all the amenities as shown on their web site. The tree view room was, in my opinion, a real disappointment. Yes there was a view of tree tops, BUT they only partially hid a wall of the neighbouring property. Our room was close to the rubbish bins for both properties and judging from the loud crash of bottles, there had been serious drinking going on. It was a racket that disturbed our peace. It was almost impossible to get any view of the sky and I did dub the room “Cell 30.” Photo number 4 above shows the view from our room. Amazing what can be achieved with creative photography on a web site.

The manager and I had another little disagreement and when we pointed out that the cause of the problem (partially blocked drain) was previous clients, he just shrugged his shoulders – I believe he should have appologised for his tirade.

I had taken along a laptop as the properties web site advertised – “Wireless Internet available in all apartments.” It is a pity they don’t show the costs, which are considerably dearer than the 5 minute walk away internet café, which has much faster speeds than the in-house wireless internet. The property is charging what I consider to be an outrageous price for internet connection and they should indicate the costs on their web site. Likewise the in-room safe is priced at $4.50 per day and again not shown on web site..

In all fairness to Port Douglas Retreat, it is well located and only a few minutes walk to both the shopping/restaurant area of Macrossen Street and Four Mile Beach. The property has an extensive array of brochures and information on nearby attractions and tours – I just wished the manager was less abrasive when dealing with his customers. Having seen the pool view rooms (both levels) I would consider they would be a far better option – I strongly suggest you do not stay in a tree view room. Alternatively choose another property, which we will do if we return to the area.

About the photos:
    1. Main entrance and yes they do have very attractive and well-maintained gardens.
    2. Pool area and shows more of the gardens.
    3. BBQ and outdoor eating area. 2 supermarkets within 5 minutes walk to stock up.
    4. View from the back sliding door of "Cell 30" looking towards a wall.

More about Port Douglas

HarbourHarbour

On the river cruiseOn the river cruise

Port Douglas HarbourPort Douglas Harbour

SkyrailSkyrail

Clothing advise

by chezzaWhee

Hi

We will be visiting Port Douglas from 9th June. I was wondering what type of clothes we will require for the evening. Do we need thick sweatshirts/thin long sleeves or is it still warm enough for T shirts? I am presuming that the daytime is warm enough for shorts etc.!!!

Thanks

Hi,
I am going to Port next Thursday for 2 weeks.
I am packing, 3/4 pants, t shirts, light long pants, couple of long sleeve shirts. Plus a couple of light long sleeve tops.
The days will be lovely. The nights you might need a light long sleeve top.
I don't wear shorts, but if I did I would be packing those as well..

I will probably pass you on the street. :)
Have a great time, cos I am going too.

Cheers
Anne

by colin_bramso

As Anne said, you won't need a winter sweater, just a light sweater or jacket for the evenings.
Have a great time both of you :-))

Good evening Colin,

I am sure I will have a great time. Thank goodness it's cooling down here, I will be able to brag about my suntan...:)

I will have a cocktail for you.
Anne

by colin_bramso

I usually drink more than one Anne, so don't hold back ;-)

by chezzaWhee

Thanks for the replies.

We are staying at the Breakfree Aqueous Resort Anne, arriving 9th June. Maybe bump into you. I'm pleased about no thick sweaters, as we are backpacking in Malaysia (with two kids for the first time!!) first and didn't want to take too much bulk.

Have a great time.

by Anne12

Colin, I never hold back with the cocktails :)

I am going to the Salsa Bar and Grill, I think it's one of the best restaurants in Port. The also have great cocktails.

I can't wait.....I am hungry thinking about it.

by leanab

Coming from the U.K. what we find cold you may not. Base your wardrobe on probably about 25/26 degrees by day 17 by night. I always like to take something if there is a cooler breeze near the water at night. For updates view www.portdouglaswebs.com.au/webcam.htm

Travel Tips for Port Douglas

Sealed road to Cooktown

by tropicrd

Hi,

You can drive right up to Cape Tribulation which is over the Daintree river via the punt ferry--from there the road is for 4wd only.It is called the Bloomfield track and goes to Cooktown.
You can drive the inland road to Cooktown now as it is all sealed and really a very nice drive through Lakelands.

I wish you a fantastic time and as a local I often do this road trip.

Dorrise

Wildlife Habitat

by ettiewyn

If you are interested in Australia's wildlife, you should not miss the Wildlife Habitat while staying in Port Douglas. It is a well maintained and informative sanctuary.
The sanctuary features three different habitats: wetlands, rainforest and grasslands. Therefore, you can see many different animals in their typical surroundings and learn about their environment. I like that idea very much.
During the day there are different presentations and talks about the animals and you can also cuddle a koala - although I do not advise to do that because it is very stressful for them. Feeding the kangaroos is a good alternative and you can pad them as well. This is fun not only for kids :-)

You can see a lot of birds, kangaroos, wallabys, koalas and other animals and it is very interesting to wander through the spacious habitats.

I also like that this sanctuary REALLY is a sanctuary and not only calls itself so. They care for injured and lost animals and advise locals.

The sanctuary also offers special activities, like "breakfast with the birds" or guided tours. You can get the info on the website if you are interested!

Open from 08.00am til 05.00pm.
Adults: 30AUD, Children: 15AUD, Family: 75AUD.

Mossman Gorge - Daintree National Park

by leffe3

Approximately 12 kilometres to the north west of Port Douglas is Mossman Gorge and the southern boundaries of the Daintree National Park – the oldest living rainforest on earth, approximately 140 Million years old.

Mossman is something of a tourist run, although it tends to be popular with self-drivers. Group bookings tend to head further north to the town of Daintree further north and the coastal Cape Tribulation.

It's a strange experience, knowing that only a few kilometres away from this extraordinary rainforest are the palm-fringed beaches and coral reef of the ocean.

Mossman is not an overly spectacular gorge, but water collects in the gorge from two or three mountain streams, forming deep rock pools popular with swimmers. There's also a number of different tracks that take you through the forest, all fairly short (the longest being a circular 2 kilometres) and of medium difficulty (some short but steep climbs).

Tropical Port Douglas

by sue_stone

Located just one hours drive north of Cairns is my favourite town in the area, Port Douglas. Smaller than Cairns, Port Douglas (PD) has a real community feel about it. Yes, it has 5 star resorts, but doesn't has that 'tacky-tourist' vibe like Cairns has (well, in my opinion anyway!).

Most visitors fly into Cairns and then drive up to PD. The scenery along the way is beautiful - the narrow highway hugs the coast line for part of the journey and the views are stunning. There are a couple of vantage points along the way where you can stop and check out the view.

Port Douglas is on a headland, with the beach on one side and the harbour on the other. It has a lively market each Sunday which sees the whole town come out to shop and socialise. Home to lots of great cafes and modern restaurants, you can also go back to basics and enjoy a meal or a drink on the veranda at the Combined Club and watch the stunning sunsets.

Het Great Barrier Reef

by Alain_Smeets

Als we met de boot terug naar Port Douglas varen, vertellen Miguel en vooral Daphne over wat zij gezien hebben tijdens hun duik. Ze zijn met een kleine groep naar een afgelegen plaats gebracht om te gaan duiken. Terwijl ze dit vertelt, steekt ze haar koude voeten tegen mijn benen om ze warm te krijgen, ze heeft altijd last van koude voeten en handen, zegt ze.

Die avond gaan we kangoeroe eten in een plaatselijk restaurant, enkel de 10 van de eerste tocht en Jamie en Valerie doen hieraan mee. De anderen zwermen uit naar de vele restaurantjes in Cairns om nadien ook naar Johns Sports bar te gaan. Maar het is hier niet zo druk als de avond ervoor en we hebben nu de kans om een beetje bij te praten.

Comments