Port Douglas Retreat

Tags

Budget Travel
See Amenities
sirgaw's Profile Photo

- don't mess with the manager

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 21, 2011

Our first entry into Port Douglas Retreat did not exactly instill confidence for a happy stay. I had pre-booked a total of 12 nights for what is termed a “tree view room” and had to pay a deposit of over $A600 as security. When we arrived I asked a charming Asian lady if I could see the booked room PRIOR to handing over my credit card to pay the balance of over $900. I was very curtly reminded by the male manager that I was within the 7 day cancellation period (the unsaid was that I would be liable for the entire amount if I walked away there and then). I’ve been caught before and was not going to be caught again. It was not a great start to our stay in Port Douglas.

The property is fine and has all the amenities as shown on their web site. The tree view room was, in my opinion, a real disappointment. Yes there was a view of tree tops, BUT they only partially hid a wall of the neighbouring property. Our room was close to the rubbish bins for both properties and judging from the loud crash of bottles, there had been serious drinking going on. It was a racket that disturbed our peace. It was almost impossible to get any view of the sky and I did dub the room “Cell 30.” Photo number 4 above shows the view from our room. Amazing what can be achieved with creative photography on a web site.

The manager and I had another little disagreement and when we pointed out that the cause of the problem (partially blocked drain) was previous clients, he just shrugged his shoulders – I believe he should have appologised for his tirade.

I had taken along a laptop as the properties web site advertised – “Wireless Internet available in all apartments.” It is a pity they don’t show the costs, which are considerably dearer than the 5 minute walk away internet café, which has much faster speeds than the in-house wireless internet. The property is charging what I consider to be an outrageous price for internet connection and they should indicate the costs on their web site. Likewise the in-room safe is priced at $4.50 per day and again not shown on web site..

In all fairness to Port Douglas Retreat, it is well located and only a few minutes walk to both the shopping/restaurant area of Macrossen Street and Four Mile Beach. The property has an extensive array of brochures and information on nearby attractions and tours – I just wished the manager was less abrasive when dealing with his customers. Having seen the pool view rooms (both levels) I would consider they would be a far better option – I strongly suggest you do not stay in a tree view room. Alternatively choose another property, which we will do if we return to the area.

About the photos:
1. Main entrance and yes they do have very attractive and well-maintained gardens.
2. Pool area and shows more of the gardens.
3. BBQ and outdoor eating area. 2 supermarkets within 5 minutes walk to stock up.
4. View from the back sliding door of "Cell 30" looking towards a wall.

Nearby Port Douglas Retreat

• Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette

Port Douglas Travel Forum

Need advice about Port Douglas, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Port Douglas and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Port Douglas hotel reviews

St Mary's by the sea
Best pies in Queensland
Bruce Belcher's Daintree River Cruises
Things to Do
A nice day on the GBR reef
Lush Rainforest of Mossman Gorge
Amazing Day Trip: Port Douglas to Cape Tribulation
A Taste of Things Down Under
Not Crossed Off the Bucket List
Snorkel
Low ISland sailing
Seafood in port douglas
Warnings and Dangers
Hot air balloon port douglas
Things to Do
Things to see and do around Port Douglas!
Hartley's Crocodile Adventures
Driving through Daintree and area
ANZAC Park and St Mary’s by the Sea
Marina Mirage Port Douglas
A walk along Millionaires’ Row
– AMAZING VIEW
Be VERY careful when swimming
Warnings and Dangers
- impossible to walk past
Restaurants
Port Douglas Yacht Club and “W.A.G.S.”
Palm Cove - Tropical Beach & Resorts