Reef Club Resort Port Douglas

Orbitz.com Agoda.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Port Douglas

Anzac ParkAnzac Park

Photos taken from restaurant websitePhotos taken from restaurant website

Daintree RiverDaintree River

Dickson InletDickson Inlet

Which Snorkelling crusie to choose

by mg1978

Ha ha did you like my rhyming!!.

Which of all the snorkelling crusies are the better ones on a budget

RE: Which Snorkelling crusie to choose

by Anne12

There are many different snorkling cruises to the reef, go to the outer reef.
It all depends if you are a good/confident swimmer as to which one you should/could choose.
When you arrive in Cairns or Port Douglas you can get heaps of prices and brochures. In Cairns there are many places on the Esplanade or very near it that have trips to the reef.
I always recommend Quicksilver's trip to the outer reef if it is for a family, or if you aren't a confident swimmer, I recommend this trip as it is such a well organised/.safe trip to do. Also once on the large pontoon there are many other things you can do while there.
Yes, this can be more expensive than other trips, but worth it.
Google the Quicksilver site.
Also if you check out my Port Douglas pages there is a travel logue thingy about the Quickie trip.

RE: RE: Which Snorkelling crusie to choose

by saraheg77

I wrote tips on Haba Dive and Quicksilver, the two I have been on. Of those two, I would recommend http://habadive.com.au if you are going snorkelling. It is a smaller boat and family-owned. Quicksilver is large but I recommend it if you don't snorkel because it has semi-submersible submarines. Check my two tips in Things to Do for Port Douglas for more details. Have fun!!

RE: RE: Which Snorkelling crusie to choose

by Care824

If you are a confident snorkler, I would actually recommend against Quicksilver. I used them mainly because my hubby does not do well on boats, but he likes even less to leave them for the wide open ocean. Quicksilver's large ship minimized his ill feelings; and the pontoon they have on the outer reef did give him confidence to go in the water.

That said, the abundance of life at the reef at their location was disappointing. I swam as far away from the boat as they would allow and still couldn't get to an area where I felt overwhelmed with reef beauty like I was expecting. I fully believe that a smaller tour could have provided that, but then I wouldn't have gotten my hubby to go with me. I'll have to return some day, but with someone who will actually dive with me.

Re: Which Snorkelling crusie to choose

by bookers

Last time i was there we went with Posiedon, they were great and much smaller groups than Quicksiler, so more of a personal touch

Have fun i will be there soon myself in July and the first thing i am doing is booking a dive trip with them

Re: Which Snorkelling crusie to choose

by theclaw

I 2nd POISIDEN as it took me to OUTER REEF but another which was SAILAWAY a catamaran that takes you out snorkling then on return switches off motor and unfurls the mainsail---sittin up front in the net beer in hand undersail awresome

Travel Tips for Port Douglas

The road leading into the city

by Kate-Me

The road leading in to Port Douglas is quite unique compared to the other places we visited....the road is completely lined on both sides by a long avenue of palm trees, with the effect that you feel like you're driving along Hollywood Boulevarde or something, with country clubs and enormous hotels also lining the way.

Diving the Great Barrier Reef

by islandtaryn

After looking aroung jdlastra's page with all the great dive pics, I realized that I had neglected giving you all a great tip about Port Douglas and diving the reef.

"Synergy", is a 62 ft. catamaran that sails out of Port Douglas Monday through Friday.

It will cost you only about $30 more than if you were to go out with "Quicksilver" but the maximum group with Synergy is 12 (for a daytrip). Quicksilver takes about 300!
The great Synergy folks even send a limo to pick you up from your resort! It's a real bargain in my book.
Lunch is provided, there is a divemaster on board, and no want/need is overlooked. This was a great experience. I highly recommend this company.

The best part of the dive? Giant clams! Like 4 feet wide! That's a bunch of clam fritters! And clam soup, and fricassee' clam, and clam casserole, and, and , and..........

No pearl though.

Haba Dive the Great Barrier Reef!

by saraheg77

I recommend Haba Dive highly if all those in your party intend to snorkel or scuba... if there are some who don't want to get in the water, I recommend Quicksilver - see my other tip. The Haba Dive boat is smaller and family-owned and you definitely felt like you were getting more personal attention. The fee for an adult is $155 (child 4-12 $95) which includes wet suits, all snorkel equipment, local transfers, morning and afternoon tea, fresh tropical buffet lunch, education reef brief, and a guided snorkelling tour.

Extras are:
Glass bottom boat - $10/adult, $5/child
Pickup/dropoff to Cairns - $15
Intro dive - $50
2nd intro dive - $40
Two Certified dives if you bring your own gear - $40
Two Certified dives including all gear/computer & guide - $60
Third Certified dive - $15

The schedule for the day was - 8:30am departure, a little over an hour trip to first location, snorkel/dive time, lunch on the boat while travelling to the 2nd location, snorkel/dive time at 2nd location, a little over an hour trip back and arrive around 4pm.

The afternoon tea included some very yummy desserts like a chocolate swirl cheesecake! Also, this smaller boat made the possibility of seasickness a bit greater and our trip back home was quite a wild ride... I did get sick... but I didn't take the precaution of the seasickness tab as you begin the journey. So, if there is any chance you may feel sick, just take the pill and don't sit in the inside next to the food (that is the worst spot for feeling sick)!

So overall, Haba Dive was an excellent trip and I highly recommend it if all your party will be snorkelling or scuba diving, but if some don't want to get wet, try Quicksilver with better options for staying dry.

Theatre

by Anne12

Port Douglas has the Clink Theare. I have not been lucky enough to be in Port when they have had plays on.

Check out the local paper or walk around to the theatre and check out the notice board.

Port Douglas

by Kate-Me

"Under construction"

Most places we went to along the Queensland coast between Mackay and the Daintree, we were expecting to be super super touristy, rather expensive, and pretty exclusive, but all along the way, we were pleasantly surprised by how unspoilt so many places still were.
Pt Douglas though could be a little different...I wouldn't describe it as unspoiled (though the beaches are great and the town beautiful) but it definitely IS exclusive, and driving down its palm tree lined boulevard, passing country club after country club and huge resorts, seeing helicopter pads, guided tour buses and courtesy buses everywhere.....it wasn't really for us, but we sure had a great time browsing some of the many exclusive shops (though there are a few affordable ones too) and admiring the scenery.

And another beautiful photo of the ocean from the lookout at Port Douglas....just superb

Comments