4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• CL1706's Profile Photo

Family Friendly

** Stayed - October 2004 **

We chose this hotel because it offered the luxury of three bedrooms in a two level apartment - which we needed for our family (two adults, three children). The resort was fantastic, with the choice of three swimming pools (one with a swim-up bar), a couple of handy restaurants, and a general store located on the premesis.
    The only downside was the distance into the main centre of Port Douglas (approx 2 km), but we were able to use the regular local bus service which picked up and dropped off inside our resort.
    Also offered a 'Kids Club' where our children were able to play with other children as well as take part in activities which were based around the water, and the 'ocean' feel of Port Douglas.
    A great place to relax with your family. Highly recommnded.

• lovinoz's Profile Photo

Amazing Wedding Reception Venue

We stayed in a standard room in March 2004 while researching where to have our wedding reception in Port Douglas. The standard room was modest, nice and slightly overpriced. Their 2 and 3 bedroom units seemed better value for money. The price shown below is for the standard room of course.

On our wedding night (in August 2004) we stayed in the honeymoon suite, which was everything you would expect including a living room, dining room, kitchen, huge master bedroom and bathroom. It has a private wooden patio in the back with a huge spa bath (you could fit 4 people comfortably). I do not know what it would cost to get this room on its own since it was included in our package price for the wedding reception on their property.

I am rating the hotel 5 stars based on our experience with the wedding reception. I would give the standard rooms 3 stars and the honeymoon suite 5 stars.

Unique Quality: The property is gorgeously landscaped with flowers and greenery everywhere. They have FIVE swimming pools with very creative designs, including one with a swim-up bar and little private alcoves around the pool.

We were extremely thrilled with how our wedding reception turned out. It was held in the evening (after dark) in one of their pool patio areas with a formal candlelit 3 course sit-down dinner. It was far more beautiful than we imagined it would be. The staff were excellent and the food was delicious! They let us bring in our own wedding cake (made and delivered by a bakery in town). We had a DJ and a dance floor inside the small restaurant next to the area where we ate dinner.

I highly recommend considering having your wedding reception here. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Directions: 1.5 kms outside of Port Douglas

You have to drive to get to the beach

• Chill out time

Excellent place to stay. Rooms on the basic side but overall lovely resort. Choice of swimming pools with the main one having a hot-tub and swim up bar where you can get refreshments. Great at organising snorkelling/diving and other trips. Restaurants offering a good choice of menus. Service friendly. The hotel operates a regular shuttle bus to take you into town - only drawback is that this is not free.

More about Rydges Reef Resort Port Douglas

Absolute magic & can't be faulted

by TripAdvisor Member RickPorgera

Being a long term Cairns resident (50k's down the road from Port Douglas) and having heard so many glaring references to the difference in service standards between the two towns, I decided to see what all the fuss was about. The Sabaya Resort had a special rate for this weekend for "local residents" which caught my eye, but being a member of the Rydges Priority Guest club, any potential discount was precluded by that...no biggie. The missus, myself and our 9 YO daughter decided to spend a weekend away from the hustle of Cairns, and just kick back in P.D. We've been to Port Douglas on many occasions, but never lobbed overnight together...for some reason. That has now changed, and I can't see us heading to P.D. without spending at least one overnight at the Sabaya in future.
We've stayed at hotels, of many and varying standards, all over the world. From 1 star dog boxes in London, to 5 star opulence in Asia, and basic motels in the USA, and now come to realise that to get value for money, it really all starts at home..or close too home anyway.
Anyone that would consider this (Rydges Sabaya Resort) to be below their standard, really has to get out there and see what the rest of the world has to offer in comparison.
The staff (whilst numbers are minimal) were always there to help out where needed, and the cost factors were very acceptable. Room rates for the weekend (1 bedroom Garden view, with a fold out double-bed and big TV just for her royal princess-ness) averaged out to $A189 per night, which included a great breakfast (as much as the aforementioned HRH could skarf down in a single sitting).
The wrap-around swimming pool, whilst a tad shallow for grown ups..(which can be a good thing, to prevent horsing around)...was very kid-friendly, and allowed for continuous noshing/drinking while having a lazy day in, or near, the water.
There's no real need to go walkabout too far from that scenario, but town is only a few minutes away, if you're so inclined.
For a relaxing, fully catered-for, stress-free, yet frugal break, I don't think you could beat the Sabaya Resort for the money. I really have no idea as to why (considering the value for money) this establishment is only rated as 21 out of 48 hotels (at time of writing) in Port Douglas. Perhaps we're still missing something about the town that has a more unique ambience, but for my money, We're very happy with our stay there, and will do it again, soon hopefully.
Cheers,

Rick Brittain,
Cairns, Qld OZ.

spacious 1 bed pool apartment

by TripAdvisor Member mini441

Rydges let me cancel my existing booking and re-book a pool room at a cheaper rate on their guest computer at reception, saving me $400. They also had a special on and gave our room a $100 credit on food/ bev. And as a member I also got 20% discount on all food/bev in the resort. In addition we received 50% off internet access. My daughter slept on a double sofa bed in the lounge and my husband and I had a spacious separate room with good sized modern bathroom with a massive shower. The kitchen was well equipped to cook our meals some nights and the room service menu was delicious and speedy. My 8 year old loved the pool (as did I as I hate cold pools). We swam at least twice a day and lounged reading books and cheap discounted cocktails at the swim up pool bar. The shuttle bus into town was punctual, cheap, picks up at reception, always got a seat, and only 5 min journey, so we used it every day to see the area, buy groceries, grab a fab coffee at Rehab and shop till we dropped on main street. Stayed 12 nights and booking again this summer for 13. loved it, was relaxing but great swimming exercise also in the lap pool next door at a gym for minor fee.

Thought the Sabaya was great!

by TripAdvisor Member Lucycooper

Pool with its swim up bar is great, staff at reception couldn't be more helpful, especially Luke.
Breakfast buffet had a good choice of hot food,pastries,cereals and fruit, although don't get too excited about the coffee machine,tea good though.
Expected to get a two bedroom apartment but it was actually two interconnecting rooms which was fine as we had older children but if you have babies might be a bit far.
With the shuttle bus price into Port Douglas changes depending on nature of driver (all nice people , however prices seem to differ)
check availabilty of getting three or seven day pass.Cheaper and more convenient.

Blissful and calm

by TripAdvisor Member Britpop73

After looking at seemingly endless option in Port Douglas, we found a quiet and well designed sanctuary in the form of Rydges Sabaya. We are thirty something professionals and booked directly with the Rydges Priority guest membership (free to join and gives you 10% off rooms, 20% off food/beverages - except room service/breakfast).

I'd recommend booking a garden view apartment (it's quieter away from public areas and the pool!). Furnishings and fixtures are high quality and the property is set just far enough away from the main town (10 mins drive).

Service, ambience, food and staff are wonderful. Highly recommended and simply a lovely place to stay. Recently refurbished and felt like a new property! Great value.

Beautiful surroundings, excellent service, great value for money

by TripAdvisor Member NessieAirlieBeach

I stayed in the Sabaya for two nights with my husband and two small boys, aged 2 and 4 and we were more than impressed. On the first night we stayed in a two bedroom apartment which was very spacious. The decor was modern and fresh and the apartment was spotless. On the second night we stayed in a one bedroom as all the 2 bedrooms were booked out, but that was once again spotless and spacious enough for the 4 of us as the boys slept on the double pull out sofa. The staff very kindly moved all our luggage into the new room so was hassle free. There is a large pool which is not very deep, perfect for children as can get to the side easily, perfect temperature too. It was difficult to get the boys out as they loved it so much. There is a swim up bar which is open until 5 serves food all day too so no need to get out of the pool.
We had breakfast in the dining area which was very good, a great variety and lots of healthy choices too. Excellent for very fussy children. Beautiful tranquil surrounds too, ponds, water features, excellent garden layout all added to the ambience and peacefulness of the place, felt like you were a million miles away in an exotic destination,
Staff were very friendly, informative, professional and helpful. We became a Rydges priority guest which allows you 20% discount on food and beverages and a free late check out.. We checked out at 12 which was an added bonus.
It's about a 5 minute drive out from the main village which is fine as I've heard it can be quite noisy in the centre of town and although Sabaya was relatively full it was very quiet.
Excellent value for money too. It was school holiday time and we managed to get a one bedroom apartment with a full buffet breakfast for 4 of us included for only $153 per night. (special rates for priority guest members)
Overall I can truly say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, well done Sabaya.

Great Family Stay

by TripAdvisor Member JanMaree

We stayed at Rydges Sabaya in a two bedroom apartment with two adults and two teenage kids for 7 nights. The staff were fantastic friendly and helpful, especially Luke at reception, he deserves a gold star. The restaurant staff were excellent in providing gluten free meals for two of our family. The room was clean and modern, the kitchen a bit small but did the job, a dishwasher would be great. We had a ground floor garden veiw room which was very quiet but not far at all from the pool and restaurant. Our stay was during Vic and Qld school holidays and it was very quiet. The pool was great with the swim up bar. Water warm enough in the pool for me to get in. The washing machine and dryer in the room was very handy. Cannot really pick any major fault with our stay. There were activities in the bar area advertised around the reception and bar area each day, the restaurant had a couple of buffet nights during the week. The restaurant cooked the fish caught on a charter for dinner one night (for $30 per head) we were happy with this, it was filleted and cooked to our liking with chips & salad or rice and veg. thought this was reasonable. The other two had the buffet that night which was a selection of roasts with veg. All very nice. We had a hire car so being a little out of town was not a problem, there are shuttle busses going past all day, I don't know how much they are but they are pretty frequent. We have stayed in apartments which are roomier but it didn't bother us too much as most of our days were spent out and about Port Douglas, Daintree, Reef, Tablelands, Four mile beach, shops, restaurants etc. etc. I figure if you want to sit inside and watch tv all day you may as well stay home.
Overall a great stay, would recommend.

Great service

by TripAdvisor Member Cahill45

Stayed her with the kids for a couple of days. Loved the loaction and all the major activities to keep the kids happy. The pool was great. Had a few issues at reception though when checking in. They seemed to of lost our booking and didnt have the correct room for us. One of the managers David at reception was very quick to react and made our remaining stay amazing.
The room we had was large enough for the 5 of us and the beds were great.

Rydges Sabaya Resort

by Balicinta

Hi,
Can anyone recommend this resort, or is Oaks Loaggoon better?

Thanks!

Re: Rydges Sabaya Resort

by Anne12

I haven't stayed at Rydges for many years.If I remember correctly the Sabaya is a revamp of the old Ridges. But I have stayed at Oaks Lagoon a number of times.
It is new and spotless. You can stay downstairs where you have a *swimout* to the lagoon pool or upstairs where you can have the spa on the balocony. We go for the spa. You only have to walk down a few stairs for a swim.
There is a bus that goes into town, this leaves on a regular basis during the day and night, very 15 minutes or so.The cost of this is cheap as chips.You catch this bus next door at the complex there, 3 minute slow walk. No hassle at all.

Have a great time in Port, I love it there.
The Salsa Bar and Grill is wonderful for dinner.The chocolate souffle is to die for:)

Comments