The Meridian Port Douglas

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about The Meridian Port Douglas

The Only place to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member pharlap66

We have just returned from a superb stay at the Meridian Port Douglas. We reviewed it on this site and saw only 1 (Mike Moss April 07 - 'what were you thinkin') negative review but plenty of good ones. The Meridian is so central, walk to main street, beach and marina, is spacious and immaculate in presentation and the staff are FANTASTIC. Have you ever had anyone ring you BEFORE you get there to see if you have arranged transport? Have you ever had anyone help unload your bags from the basement carpark?
When we return to Port Douglas we will not have to search the net.

John and Pauline Goundrey
MONTVILLE QLD 4560

A lovely boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member chorbizaare

We spent 2 wonderful days in this boutique hotel in February. We were warmly greeted at the door by the manager who not only assisted us with our luggage and to our room but spent some time time answering all our ?'s and helping us with excursions available locally.
While deciding upon an itinerary for a 3 week holiday to Australia I came across the website for this hotel and saw that they had jacuzzi's on private balconies for guests in some of their rooms. I phoned up the hotel (in the very early hours of the morning.. Oz time) and within hours and booked a room with a private jacuzzi.
The room was lovely and very clean with a small kitchen area. The bathroom great, but the jacuzzi was the best.
This is an adult only hotel and has a lovely small pool. We upon recommendation of the manager booked the daintree rain forest and cape tribulation day trip which was well worth it.
As we drove up from Cairns, we were very pleased that there was secure underground parking for our car.
Port on the whole was very quiet and the beach isolated, barring a few people. (A small stinger free enclosure available for swimming.)
I would highly recommend this lovely boutique hotel.

Lovely Place

by TripAdvisor Member EdandLiz

We stayed in a 1 bedroomed standard apartment - top floor - in March 2007 for 8 days. The apartment was spotlessly clean, well equiped and very comfortable. The property and pool were well maintained and clean - also very attractive.

The location is quiet but close to the town centre and the beach.

We found the management helpful and efficient.

The Meridian and Port Douglas were the highlight of our holiday.

A bit of a disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member MikeMoss

We stayed at the Meridian for five nights at the end of 2006. Of the seven hotels we stayed in during our month-long vacation in Australia, I was most disappointed by this one. The word “luxury” is quite prominent on the website, but the Meridian fell short of my perception of luxury. But I suppose when I looked at what I paid for an appartment there, the prices were half what we paid in other luxury hotels around Australia. So, ultimately, I suppose you get what you pay for.

Our stay at the Meridian started with disappointment. We had been offered an upgrade before we arrived to one of the best rooms in the complex, which we took, but were then told on arrival that we couldn’t have that room due to dodgy plumbing. The room we got didn’t have the direct pool access, which was a feature I was particularly looking forward to. Also, the room was a bit on the small side (it seemed smaller than what I had seen on their website). In the bedroom there was very little room around the bed and nowhere to put our big suitcases. The room was at the end of one wing, with a view onto a large corrugated iron roof, although you could see the pool if you leant over the balcony and looked left and you could see the hills beyond the iron roof. Incidentally, the iron roof belongs to some nice-looking rooms right by the pool and not in the main building. Another minor irritation was that we couldn’t get the tumble dryer to work.

On the positive side, the appartments are very well-located, close to the beach and the town. And Port Douglas is a good base for trips inland and out to sea. The kitchen was well equipped, which is great if you want to self cater (there’s a good supermarket on the main street). It was good to be able to do our own laundry too (there was a washing machine in the bathroom). The satellite TV was good, with some decent movie channels. The people running the hotel also operate a tour desk, which is convenient, and there is plenty of tourist info on display in the hallway.

The Meridian does have some positive points, but I wouldn’t go back.

Excellent Place to Stay

by TripAdvisor Member wheresbuck

From our initial contact with the staff to the time we checked out, we had a great experience at the Port Douglas Meridian. The room was clean and well-stocked. The pool was fantastic and the staff was very helpful and friendly. But the best part is that they don't allow children so it was a very quiet and relaxing experience.

Great honeymoon accomodations

by TripAdvisor Member ghstudio2

We recently stayed at the Meridian in Port Douglas on our honeymoon. We made four stops within Australia with Port Douglas being our third, so we had seen a fair number of hotels in the country already. The Meridian was wonderful, especially for the affordable price. The only difference between our other hotels and the Meridian was that it was more apartment-style living than hotel-style (as expected from descriptions). So, they don't freshen the room each day like in a hotel. For us this didn't matter -- the place was impeccably clean when we arrived and very nicely furnished, so it really didn't matter. Our room had a kitchenette with utensils, pots and all, so we could've cooked meals if we had wanted. Also, the owners of the facility are extremely helpful with booking tours and other advice for your stay.

So, why 4 stars instead of 5? Well, we requested a room with a spa tub on the balcony more than 4 months in advance (per other tripadvisor reviews). Despite our early request and letting them know it was our honeymoon, the hotel wasn't able to accommodate us in the end, and they didn't let us know this when we made our original booking. Our room turned out to be quite nice, but given that it was our honeymoon and the request was made so early, this would have made the difference. Also, if they had let us know that they couldn't accommodate, then our expectations would have been set from the get-go. I suppose this is a function of other people seeing similar reviews and making similar requests, so beware you have to book far in advance to get one of these rooms.

Amazing place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member ALHarris02

After a stressful few months of planning our first trip to Australia, my boyfriend and I have finally returned home from our wonderful vacation. We were able to visit quite a few places, including Queensland. We had originally planned to stay at the Cairns Colonial Club Resort. After making the reservations for this hotel, I started to have doubts about staying in Cairns. As faith would have it, The Cairns Colonial Club Resort contacted my travel agent 5 days prior to our departure from the states. They informed our travel agent that their hotel was undergoing extreme renovations and that we were advised to choose another hotel. Please keep in mind that this was only 5 days before our trip. The Cairns Colonial gave us a few other hotels that we could transfer to without penalties or hotels that we could transfer to that would cost more money. If we did not choose one of the hotels on THEIR list, we would either have to stay at their resort or lose the money we had already paid toward staying at that hotel. After much searching on the internet and on tripadvisor, we decided that we would rather stay in the city of Port Douglas instead of Cairns. We feel we definitely made the right choice. As I continued to search online for where to stay in Port Douglas, I found The Meridian. I fell in love with the hotel right away. The pictures on their website dictate exactly what you will get when you arrive. After contacting my travel agent about this hotel, we quickly put a room on request for the Meridian. I was very disappointed when the reservation came back unconfirmed. At this point we were only 3 days away from leaving with no where to stay. Finally, my travel agent contacted The Meridian directly and was able to reserve a room for us at such short notice. (We told the hotel about our problem booking and they said to always contact them directly). Upon arriving at The Meridian we were greeted by the owners. They were very kind and helped us book our snorkel and helicopter tour to the reef right away. They even found us a great deal for the whole tour. Much cheaper than anything we found online prior to arriving. We received a short "tour" of our room and of the facilities. We had a 1 bedroom apartment on the 3rd floor with a wonderful view. The apartment was immaculate and very spacious. Everything we needed was at our fingertips. We could walk to the downtown area, to the marina and to the beach. However, the walk did get tiresome so we decided to rent a small vehicle called a moke from a company located right on the main strip. We were able to use the carpark at The Meridian for the moke and felt very safe our entire stay. Every question was answered by the staff and every need was met. We feel the owners went above and beyond during our stay. Since this resort was very small and did not cater to younger children, we felt like we could really relax and enjoy the quiet. I would recommend this hotel to everyone wanting to stay in the Port Douglas area and we cannot wait to return!

Simple, functional and great location

by TripAdvisor Member monkey8mydinner

We stayed at the Meridian in Port from 29th June to the 3rd July, just long enough to heat up our bones before heading back to a chilly Melbourne.

Port Douglas itself is a little piece of paradise, situated on the palm-lined four mile beach, backed by endless acres of rainforest and bathed in wall-to-wall sunshine. If you're looking for a short break, you could do a lot worse.

The staff at the Meridian were helpful from the outset, arranging transfers to and from Cairns airport for $15pp each way. The transfer takes a little over an hour, but don't be put off by this. The road follows the coastline all the way to Port and, in parts, gives the Great Ocean Road a run for its money.

The Meridian has a number of different classes of accommodation. We booked a superior studio with jacuzzi on the ground floor. One rung down gets you a standard studio which may or may not look out over the pool. Pay a little bit more and you can get your own deck straight out on to the pool.

On balance, the jacuzzi was the better option. The pool in the centre of the complex - although beautifully lit up at night - was freezing and we didn't see a single soul in it during our stay. In comparison, we spent a good few hours in the jacuzzi, swigging back bubbly as the sun went down.

There's little to say about the Meridian. It's a clean, comfortable apartment complex. The place is smaller than it looks on the website (no surprise there) and of course, being self-catering, there's no bar or restaurant. But for functional, reasonably-priced accommodation (we paid $170 a night) a few steps from both the end of Macrossan and the beach, it does the job just fine.

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member Enna11

A lovely place to stay with helpful and friendly staff. The room and facilities were superb and the location is a perfect spring board to seeing all of Port Douglas. If you after clean, comfy and friendly this is the place for you. I would not think twice about staying there again.

Cutting corners

by TripAdvisor Member MelbourneCess

I had stayed at the Meridian two years ago and enjoyed my time there as the apartment was new and we especially enjoyed the outdoor heated jacuzzi (a very important consideration in accomodation when on holiday). In our Aug 07 trip I decided that I wanted to stay there again so called up to make some enquiries. I was assured that the outdoor jacuzzi was still heated so I proceeded to make reservations for a one bedroom apartment at peak rates of AU$260 per night.

We spent the first few days of our trip on diving and various activities around the Port Douglas area. On our last day we decided to have the whole day to ourselves and as part of this, spend some time in the jacuzzi enjoying wine and cheese. Low and behold the jacuzzi was stone cold! After making some enquiries at reception, the owner John and office manager Pauline came out to check out the heating unit. After initially suggesting a problem with electronic circuitry, Pauline admitted that there wasn't anything functionally wrong with the heating unit which was brand new. The temperature of the heater had almost been completely turned off. After turning it back on again, there was no apologies or reasons for having it switched off. Care factor was zero when dealing with us and our queries.

This property is sitting on it's laurels and attempting to cut operational costs at the expense of it's guests eventhough a premium is charged for staying there. I am very disatisfied at the attitude of the owner and staff when we pointed out the problem with the pool heater. We did not get what was promised at the time of our booking. Had I known that they were misrepresenting the situation with the pool heater I would not have made my decision to stay there. I certainly would not be staying at the Meridian again eventhough we have plans to go back to Port Douglas every year. I think that the Meridian should stop cutting corners if they want to stay in business.

Meridian - Port Douglas feedback / and other accommodation

by llauraa

Hi all - Well Im steps ahead in organising the Port Douglas trip thanks to all you guys. However now Im enquiring as feedback on the accommodation. I am looking at slightly upmarket nice places and found the Meridian at Port Douglas. Has anyone stayed here? Are there any 4 star + places anyone would recommend? as we are only staying a few nights dont mind paying a little extra dosh. I am not that impressed with the Sheraton Mirage as for the same rates we can get serviced apartments just as good, if not better, elsewhere. Looking for something nice : )

Thanks all

RE: Meridian - Port Douglas feedback / and other accommodation

by Anne12

Once again, Hellooo

I would stay at the Meridian. Looks good and is close to the main drag etc.
There are so many places to stay, it can get very confusing...I wouldn't bother with the Sheriton Mirage...over priced and old.

Have a great time...and don't forget to have a meal at the Salsa Bar and Grill on Wharf St, also a few cocktails.

I am heading up to Port for the first two weeks of June...can't wait.
Cheers
Anne

RE: RE: Meridian - Port Douglas feedback / and other accommodation

by llauraa

hiya - yes I agree on the Mirage. I know...Ive made lists of names and its giving me a headache comparing them all...they all look good so now Im going for word of mouth etc Ive heard you cant swim at 4 mile beach, so a pool is kinda essentail of course. Hmmm Salsa bar...yum [ homer simpson drool sound effects] Im writing it down.Will do - Thanks again !

RE: RE: Meridian - Port Douglas feedback / and other accommodation

by Anne12

G'day...
Tis my pleasure to help you....I love Port Douglas and go there every year.
They do have nets in at the 4 mile beach, but I wouldn't swim there at this time of year.
The place you are looking at is new and has all you will need.
A little tip...apart from the Salsa...
If you like sailing and the weather looks good...go to the Yacht Club, about 4/4.30. There will be a guy at the bar that you can put your names with..he then finds a yacht for you to go out on. The price of this is a few beers for the skipper( ask him what the skipper likes) and when you get back in to the club, buy a couple of raffle tickets and a few drinks....
Tis a fun evening...