Paradise Resort Gold Coast

122 Ferny Avenue, formerly Mercure Resort, Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, 4217, Australia

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• SaraC31's Profile Photo

way over priced

ok where do i start?
    firstly we arrived at 12 noon had to wait till 2pm to checkiin ...so the 24 hr checkin is wrong!
    After finally surviving the 1970"s elevator trip to the 3rd floor we found our "family" room!
    out dated,dusty and gloomy....beds where horrible and aircon blew up a day before we left! it was fixed tho by brian who was really nice!
    the kids room had the aircon which didnt reached our room we had a sucky old fan blowing hot air!
    which meant the kids froze we swelted....
    there was no mention in any brochure about 2% surcharge on ANYTHING you purchase on your visa card.
    the pool area was fantastic ,my children loved it
    food was way over priced.
    $10.00 A night for underground parking but free parking which was secure as told in a area beside the resort

Unique Quality: 1. the staff are excellent
    2. the pool are was great.

• Paradise Resort Gold Coast

This is the best hotel for kids under 12 that I have found anywhere in Australia (and we have looked very hard). The rooms are basic, but the kids club is amazing and they have installed a fantastic water park which the children love which is fully gated with numerous pool attendants who are all very friendly. There are non stop activities for children, both in the kids club and around the pool area. They also have various types of evening entertainment including movies which is all very appropriate for children but also reasonably interesting for adults. The kids club is in themed rooms which are very child friendly and the child care workers seem very highly trained and motivated. I am very fussy about childcare and I had no worries at all. My 6 year old loved it and its the second time we have been there. We will be going back in the future. Its quite near the beach and a short walk to the shopping centre. The food is fairly standard club fare (chips with everything) but its OK and if you want to spend a lot more there are other restaurants nearby. Highly recommended for families.

Unique Quality: Great water park and kids club.

• worst mistake

We were so excited to be staying at what was acclaimed to be Paradise for kids and parents but absolutely shattered when it failed dismally to live up to the glossy website. There where extra costs such as $5 a night for parking, no room serviced on sundays, and curtains and linen well past there prime. The site promise feature such as playstations in the childrens rooms which where there but no games supplied nor any information provided in regards to games. Site claimed to have two restaurants including an a la carte dining experience for the parents but only had one family orientated dining area which served very poor over processed food. The many "roomed" kids club turned out to be a cleverly photographed open plan ROOM with outside area and separate area for toddlers. Our children only went once and our three year old son was kicked out after only 20minutes for a tantrum, we were told he was given two chances?? We found that difficult to believe given he would have spent half that time eating. Our 9 and 6 yr olds told us they where not allowed to finish their meals because they had to participate in an activity. The pools where being renovated of which we where aware but told the kids would be ready, it was not.

Unique Quality: it was close to attractions.

Directions: on the main strip

More about Paradise Resort Gold Coast

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member Globetrekker337

The kids and the parents loved the holiday, for the first time in a long time we were able to leave our 3 children without worrying. The kids club was fantastic and even our 10 loved it. We found the room to be ample for us but will book the larger twin room with 2 bathrooms for our next trip which is this Christmas.

A great holiday for the kids and the parents, we have only great memoires of Paradise resort.

We Loved It!

by TripAdvisor Member WainRocket

We usually stay at 4-5 star hotels but wanted something catered for the kids and after a lot of research i booked Paradise resort. I read a lot of bad reviews and arrived with an open mind. It was perfect!
I booked a Junior Bunkhouse Room and it was fantastic! We stayed at Paradise Resort for 10 great days. The children loved their bunk bed and my older child thought having a Sony Playstation 2 next to his bed was the best! lots of games to choose from at reception.
Housekeeping came every day to tidy up and cleaned our dirty dishes so we did not need a sink but we used the bathroom sink if needed.
The pools were heated and the entertainment staff provided plenty of fun games for the kids in or out of the pool. My husband loved the adults pool volleyball match! Zone 4 Kids is highly recommended!!
Sinbads is a great place to eat. the $5 kids meal was perfect for us as our children are not big eaters and were happy to pick from the buffet. Plenty of food to choose from and cheaper than going to a standard family restaurant elsewhere. We can not wait to go back we had the best holiday ever!

Absolutely shocking

by TripAdvisor Member sharkyf11

We stayed at this so called paradise resort for one night only (thank god for that) and it was absolutely disgusting. We stayed next to this so called family who were shouting abuse at each other until 3 oclock in the morning. My family heard every abusive word they were saying to each other including the children as the walls were paper thin. You could hear every door banging in the hotel (and there were alot of them) every beer and wine bottle clanking until all hours of the morning and it was like a back packers resort for families. The pool was dirty and revolting and our a/c dripped constantly all night so much we had to turn it off and suffer the heat. There were so many children jumping, running, and diving in the pool you could not leave the younger children to play. The only good thing about the resort is our room was ready way before 2pm and the towels were free for the pool. The rest forget gross, gross, gross. I really dont know how they can claim they are the number one family resort in australia. Obviously the people who gave them this title did not actually stay in the resort

Not astounding-but okay.

by TripAdvisor Member lemonlemon

I stayed at the Paradise Resort with my boyfriend and his family.
There were four of us and we the only time we spent at the hotel was when we went to sleep.

Impressed by:

*Comfy beds.
*Queen sized beds.
*Seperate rooms joined by a door if you were sharing with family, and you halved the rooms.
*The little shop you can buy nessecesaties from.

Unimpressed by:

*The lack of cutlery within the hotel. We wanted to make noodles and we had to make them in mugs because there was no bowls, and then we had to use spoons to eat them with because there were no forks.
*Sinbads- The food was barely that great and they charged the ridiclous price of $16 for all-you-can-eat for crappy food.
*No sink in the kitchen.
*Noise from the aircon.
*The lights kept flickering.

It was an average place to stay and i must say i've stayed in better places.
I reccomend this place if you have small children-otherwise give it a miss.

Disgusting Disgusting Disgusting

by TripAdvisor Member lovetotravelAKL

This place looked fantastic on the web site and the books from Flight Centre.
We arrived at about 2.30pm to check in which was ok we were told to go down the hallway take the lift (if you can find it) to the second floor then find our room. It took us about 10min to find. As we walked down the hall my heart was sinking and all i could think was oh my god where have i booked us into, as we walked into our room the smell was terrible so musty that our 9 year old said no mum we wont stay here lets find another, the rooms were filthy. I stayed at this resort 20 years ago with my sister it was awsome then but i swear that they still had the same bedspreads on the beds they were dirty and smelly, the bathroom was another story no way would i put my children in that bath/shower.
We paid $1228.00 NZ to stay 4 nights so it wasn't a budget hotel.
We went for a drive found the fantastic Magic Mountain paid another $1500.00 NZ and booked it, went back to PARADISE RESORT (what a joke that name is) 3.45pm checked out.
Will never never recommend that place to anyone DO NOT STAY THERE ITS A DUMP.

We'll be back

by TripAdvisor Member HappytravellersAuck

We have stayed twice now and are looking at a Xmas booking for this year. my little grandkids had a ball. They were 6 and 3 and loved the pools and kids club. We travelled from Auckland New Zealand and have recommended this place to many of our friends.

Spend your hard-earned money elsewhere!!

by TripAdvisor Member darcoops

We stayed here for a one night break as we are local and wanted to do something special fro the kids.
We did not approach the hotel regarding our concerns because one night goes very quickly, and we didnt want to spend it complaining, so we just made the most of it. (for the kids sake)

I will start with the positives first.
*We got an early check-in at 12 midday.
*Check in was very professional.
*you can use the resort facilities before check in and after check out on the same day.
*pool towels are supplied free of charge.
*the polynesian dance show was amazing, we all loved it.
*the beds were comfy (BIG BONUS)

Ok, now the negatives: Keep in mind we paid $240 for our room, that does not include any benefits such as "kids eat free when adults dine". It was just for the room, which was disastrous.

*Dirty, damamged room, in need of repair and a good spring clean.
*the aircon was so loud that there was no way we could have stayed in the room, but rather than move rooms, hubby opened it up (you had to see it to believe it!!). He gave it a clean - check out the bath photos, that dirt is just from the aircon. It didnt make a sound after that.
*Marks everywhere, dust bad. My son coughed all night as he has asthma. We didnt think it was the room until we got home and he was perrfecty okay. Check out the dust and hair around the skirting boards, it was honestly the most unclean room I have stayed in. Ok at first appearance but disgusting if you moved a piece of furniture or had a closer look.
*We paid for a family room (2 bedrooms) but there is no aircon in the childrens room,( and high window, so poor ventilation) so we had to leave the door open in order for them not to sweat. Kind of defeats the purpose of wanting privacy for us and the kids.
*Kitchenette consists of a bucket under the sink with dishwashing detergent and a cloth. YES THATS RIGHT, NO TAP!! If you wanted to wash a dish or cup you had to use the bathrroom.
*no wine glasses in the cupboard, just tumblers (remember we paid xtra for a room with a kitchenette)
*very small balcony (but nice outlook for us)
*bedspreads smelt dusty and damp.
*quality of food very average in the cafe (didnt eat in sinbads so cant say).
You get plastic cutlery, even if you order bacon or chicken. And your meal comes in an aluminium dish with high sides. It was quite humorous watching my hubby try and eat his dinner with plastic cutlery out of a high sided container. Why do they do this??? I have no idea because its not a glass issue, you can grab a stubby and sit in exactly the same spot on the balcony. Oh but I could only get my wine in a plastic cup. I felt like I was staying at a dodgy backpackers except for $240 per night. AND THE MEALS HERE WERE NOT CHEAP, AVERAGE BISTRO/CAFE PRICES.
*the staff (except for check-in) were pretty average, try smiling geniunely.
"the pool area was average, yes the kids had fun but they would have fun anywhere, they are only 2 and 4. (nothing like in the photos), broken bricks, bridges etc.
* the creche looked very sad but apparently they are being renovated soon. We didnt leave the kids there. (cost $50 if we did decide to).

Look honestly, if it cost under $100 a night, you could maybe justify it, but it really does reek of a rip-off. Thats just my opinion, stay away.
You can get your moneys worth at hundreds of other places on the coast. We know this from experience.

Great for all ages

by TripAdvisor Member GrandmaHamilton

We were three generations enjoying a week on the Gold Coast. If the pre-school children were happy - we were happy. We all really enjoyed the KidZone, both the booked in sessions and the drop in sessions. The staff were excellent in looking after the children providing a range of activities which meant they were keen to go back each day and we enjoyed some adult time.

The rooms were fine, the swimming pools excellent. Great to have a toaster and microwave provided along with all the spreads in the cafe.

Great to have the buses outside and easy walking distance to the shops.

We took plates and cutlery and had no problem preparing all our meals in our room.

Great for Kids

by TripAdvisor Member becs11

Great place to take all ages of kids. Brilliant pool area, play areas, activities and restuarants. The only downside was the rooms could do with an upgrade, slight rust in the bathtub and funny noises from the water pipes. Otherwise, very happy would recommend to others and stay again.

Kids holiday

by TripAdvisor Member star51

Great kids holiday. They loved the pools, new friends and especially kids club. Wanted to go there instead of the theme parks. Rooms a bit basic and could do with updating but not too bad really. Kids club going until 10.30pm on Friday and Saturday was great, as we could go out and relax, without worrying about the kids. Everyone was lovely and had no problems.

sea world nara(main beach) or Paradise resort (surfers paradise)

by tlk

Planning for a holiday in gold coast on mid june, cannot which resort to stay for my family of 5(3 children 3,4 n 6), can someone offer me advise which resort offer lots of activities for children.tk u

RE: sea world nara(main beach) or Paradise resort (surfers paradise)

by TwinkleOz

Paradise hotel is a family friendly hotel. It's within walking distance to Surfer Paradise. It has a free kids club and if you dine with an adult, kids eat free. My only criticism of Paradise hotel is that it is run down. I've stayed there twice but it's out of convenience.

RE: RE: sea world nara(main beach) or Paradise resort (surfers paradise)

by tlk

do u know of any other resort thats family friendly(that have lots of activities for children) cause i need to keep my 3 kids occupy at nite. planning to stay in gold coast for 1 week.

RE: RE: sea world nara(main beach) or Paradise resort (surfers paradise)

by aussirose

With kids, you can't go wrong with Sea World Nara. The resort is part of a theme park - Sea World. Your kids will be in heaven!! Cheers, Ann :o)

• Dec 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Absolutely shocking
    I am here now and burning up inside about the money I spent on this pathetic excuse for a resort
    Firstly the pools are great for kids and plain shocking for adults, rooms are border line ok, bathroom falling to bits, everything is extra, u are forced to wear a wrist band to prove your staying here, as a smoker I paid extra for my room with a balcony and have noticed a sign claiming they will charge $200 for people who get CAUGHT!! smoking on balcony, this place is apnea hungry $360 a night joke.
    Don't come here ever!!!!'n