Hamilton Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, 4217, Australia

Q1 Resort and Spa
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• More like a 2 star hotel...

As much as i enjoyed the view we had i would not recommend this hotel to anybody else. There are things missing such as remotes for the tv etc. We also had some valuables stolen from our room and the hotel staff said they couldn't do a thing about it, not something you would expect from an apparent "5 star hotel" when you get to the front counter it actually states 4 star so a bit of false advertisement there as well. The staff don't seem to care very much either, we got fined for something the cleaners were meant to clean. Really this place is like a 2 star hotel apart from the view.

Unique Quality: Great view.
    Bad staff (arrogant)
    stolen valuables

More about Q1 Resort And Spa

A Hidden Gem

by aussielivinginjapan about Surfers Mayfair Apartments

I am from the Gold Coast and my husband who is American and I stayed in The Surfers Mayfair its great and I can highly recommend it.

The room rates are cheap and easily sleep two to four people its a fully contained apartment with kitchen, dishwasher, washing machine, TV with cable.

Its located just back from the beach and close to Surfers resturants a woolworths supermarket circle on cavil supermarket. Also a great fish and chip shop nearby plus near lots of shops a great location to the Q1 (a big tall building to get 360 degree views of surfers) also a perfect location for catching the bus to go to all the theme parks.

You can even book all of your tours close by or pick up information from the front desk.

It actually borders on Broadbeach and Surfers as its located next to the Broadbeach police station.

Its quiet and has views back down the road to the beach. Its got large balconies and you can look out towards the beach and small attraction area with some crazy rides called the sling shot and vomatron also has a mini golf course.

Oh and the pool area is just great got a pool and spa. Plus a BBQ area. As well just down the road is Budds beach and Mac Intosh Island park with BBQ facilities, playground, beach / river area.

Its actually not too far from Sea world theme park.

Oh and make sure if you want a cheap meal out for the family to check out the surf clubs they always offer great meals at cheap prices and are close by.

You cant miss the tallest building

by unravelau

The Q1 dominates the skyline on the gold coast so you cant really miss seeing it when you are there. The Q1 is the tallest accommodation building in the southern hemisphere (not that we are making comparisons), but this is quite a feat, don't you think?

Q1 Tower

by robertgaz

At 322.5m, Q1 is the world's tallest residential tower and it dominates the Gold Coast skyline. There aren't many spots where you can't see this imposing glass encased structure.

It is possible to take the lift to the Observation Deck on level 77 for a 360 deg view of the Gold Coast and hinterland and coffee with cake in the Skybar Café and lounge bar.

Prices -

Adults: $17.50
Child (5-14 years) $10
Family (2 adults/2 child) $45.00

Coastal Views

by JohanIsWeg

Q1 in Surfers Paradise is reportedly the highest residential building in the world, and therefore provides stunning views of the Gold Coast.
The glass-enclosed viewing deck, situated on level 77 and 78 - 230m above ground - provides 360 degree views and is Australia's only beachside observation deck.
You don't have to ascend the 1331 steps to get to the top - the world's fastest elevator will whisk you there in 42.7 seconds.
On a clear day you can see up to 80km! An adult day & night pass is $28.
It is open Sunday to Thursday 9am till 9pm and Friday to Saturday 9am till 12pm.

Surfers Paradise, Queensland

by hopang

Surfers Paradise is a suburb of Gold Coast in the state of Queensland. It is located approximately 80 kilometres from Central Brisbane and is approximately half an hour drive from Gold Coast Airport. The city is famous for its many high rise apartments and a surf beach. Surfers Paradise has a population of less than 20,000 inhabitants but attracts millions of local and foreign tourists annually.

The city and its coast are dotted with many elegant cafes, bars, restaurants and nightclubs. Don't miss Surfers Paradise when you visit the city of Brisbane on your vacation! Among the popular tourist attractions at Surfers Paradise and Gold Coast are Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Seaworld Gold Coast, Dreamworld Theme Park, Australian Outback Spectacular, Dracula's Haunted House, Lamington National Park, Q1 Observation Deck and Warner Bros Movie World. You may also e-mail to the following address for more information regarding tourist attractions at Surfers Paradise:- sean@surfersparadise.com

Nice - but not outstanding

by TripAdvisor Member BoyAUs

Q1 is new and has all the modern facilities. The pool is outstanding (see pic) and the rooms were very modern and we had plenty of space. Overall the hotel was very nice but was more a residence than a hotel without the usual extra services offered by a 5 star hotel that makes your stay that much easier. The view and the pool were well worth it however I thought it was a little pricey overall.

Awesome views, just don't stay with a group

by TripAdvisor Member Mitch_Mitch

We stayed at the Q1 for one night en route to brisbane for the cricket. We booked 3 x 3 bedroom apartments and found that they were quite large and suited our needs. We were on the 53rd, 55th and 56th floors and the views are nothing short of spectacular. The biggest issue we had as a group was that you can't move freely between floors. I couldn't go to my friend's floor without going to the ground floor and then buzzing his room and going back up. Very frustrating when we were only one floor apart. Also, they only gave to keys to each apartment which made going in and out difficult if you wanted to do different things at different times. The staff at reception were not particularly helpful in alleviating the situation. In short, if you only need one room, Q1 would be great, but if with a group, make sure the rooms are on the same level.

Nice but.... a little 'smoke and mirrors'

by TripAdvisor Member The_Real_Duke

We recently stayed at the Q1 for four nights on the 17th floor whilst returning from our honeymoon. Our stay was very pleasant and whilst I admit the Q1 is a nice place to stay, I think there is a time limit on how long that would apply.

The Q1 is perfectly located just South of Cavill Ave for those who enjoy the hustle and bustle, or within 15 minutes walking distance to the beautiful cafes of Broadbeach. The restaurants and cafes surrounding the Q1 are varied, with something for all tastes. We found Check-In very quick, only (5) minutes and staff, whilst not overly friendly, were pleasant. Parking was excellent and there was no struggle at all to find a car park right by a lift at any time of the day or night.

There are pleanty of lifts - a bank of (6) for floors 1-43 and separate lifts for those on floors 43-77. The lifts were very fast and quiet, and very secure with the card swipe only enabling access to the floor on which you are staying. The common areas of each floor though werre very uncomfortable. There did not appear to be any air conditioning outside of the rooms, making it extremely stuffy in the warmer weather, and with low ceilings and no windows makes for a very claustrophobic experience, albeit only for the few seconds between the lifts and the rooms.

At first glance on entering the room, we were impressed. Whilst the stark and minimalist approach is not to our tatse, it appears comfortable and generally suits the style of the resort. The room was well fitted out with a washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, spa bath and all the 'mod-cons' one might require for either a short or protracted stay, although is missing a full length mirror. The kitchen facilities are ample for those wishing to eat in, or the nearby 'Beach Club' Cafe offers an in room service for an appropriate price. Our room had a South-Westerly aspect with views toward Broadbeach and the Hinterland, although the shape of the hotel also meant we also enjoyed beach views from the windows in the lounge and balcony areas.

The furniture within the apartment is definitely direct from the big blue 'Flat Pack' furniture store who shall remain nameless.... Whilst it was for the most part it was comfortable, on closer inspection, after only a year or so, it is already starting to show severe signs of wear and tear, which is not a huge problem, as furnite can be replaced - lets just hope the owners of the apartment are aware how quickly it deteriorates. Other signs of deterioration included the bench tops in the kitchen which, even with their stone like appearance, are already badly stained with coffee rings and other unpleasantries. The paint on the walls is cheap and low quality as there were some marks that could not be removed, and where previous guests had attempted to remove marks, had left further paint damage. Certainly not something you would expect from a resort which prides itself on quality fixtures. Another surprise was the lack of Plasma or LCD televisions. With the resort just over a year old, one would've thought these would certainly have been included, but ultimately, the large flat screen TV's provided are fine, although have terrible reception.

By far and large the biggest disappointment was the balcony, which is more like an open room with nothing in it. Not being an interior designer, I am not cognizant with the rules for minimalism but i'm sure this is over the top. The balcony furniture consists of (2) cheap plastic chairs and a low table. Thats it. In a white room, these (3) items of furniture sit in the middle creating a very bare and stark, even uncomfortable enviornment as the high wall of the balcony and low chairs mean you sit staring at mostly wall. The balcony windows slide up and down and are made of a perspex, which was quite difficult to move, and would definitely present a safety risk to children (but then again, so would any balcony). However, as bare as the balcony is, it is surrounded by sliding 'cafe-style' doors which completely open the balcony up to the rest of the apartment, and im certain that if there were better furniture, the balcony area would be a very comfortable and relaxing place to enjoy a day or evening drink.

I dont wish for this review to sound completely negative, as we did enjoy and have a very comfortable and convenient stay, and if you look past these minor issues, Q1 is a great place to stay. I just hope that people who have invested in these apartments remain dedicated to the ideology of the Q1 in providing modern and convenient accommodation which is of high quality, by ensuring the 'wear and tear' issues are appropriately addressed.

Definitely check out the observation deck. Whilst it is a little expensive ($17.50 per adult - with 10% discount offered to guests), it really is an amazing place to get the best view of Surfers, and the lifts that get you up there are incredibly quick (about 40 seconds from 1st to 77th floor). If you are staying on a Friday or Saturday night, head up the Observation Deck Bar which is a funky place to have a drink, and the entry price drops to $9.

Ok

by TripAdvisor Member AucklandNZgirl

We stayed at the Q1 for one week. The apartments were fine although we stayed on the 8th floor which was noisey, and the bath takes over one hour to fill. The level of service is as you would expect for a residential building, e.g. no room service available from the cafe and in fact you couldn't even buy an alcoholic drink and carry it yourself to the sun loungers (aparently the body corp won't approve).
Although the pools were clean and had plently of sunloungers to go around, the security was a little OTT. Both of us had to carry two room key's at all times. The restaurant absenth and the day spa were up there with the best I have been to.
So overall fine, as long as your after self service. If not we stayed at the new sofitel broadbeach which was fantastic.

Great place to stay.

by TripAdvisor Member PAB3

My daughter and I stayed at the Q1 resort and Spa for 7 days during the April holidays. After reading the mixed reviews I was a bit apprehensive as to what we may find.I picked this place because of its position and the fact that it was new and modern.We were very happy with the position only 2mins to the beach and 5 mins out to dinner every night.

Our apartment on the 13th floor was clean, spacious and all the appliances were brand new. Lovely plates, glasses and cutlery.(don't forget to buy your own dishwashing powder though if you are going to eat in.)You didn't mind using the washing machine and dishwasher because of this.

I booked through tourism Queensland who handled the whole stay. Although they were really nice and bought beds, bedding, light bulbs as requested we didn't have a phone in our room and we were not able to use reception. This didn't really matter as everything went pretty smoothly.

The food at the cafe was great although pretty expensive. The massages at the spa were fantastic. I would reccomend. The pools were
good and we were always able to find a deck chair in the sun.(because
of the high rises around it does get shady through out the day).
There was a nice little sandy bit for young children which seemed great for families.

The lifts were fast and efficient. The gym looked a little tired although it seemed to have plenty of equipment.(as you can tell we didn't use it...we were on a relaxing holiday).

The car parking was good and everything was pretty secure because of the key access. I would definetly return to Q1 if I was returning to Surfers. Next time I might try Broadbeach though because the restaurants seemed more up market.

Q1Q1

apple iphone carriers

by dbeatty

Coming from the USofA with an Iphone to Newcastle, Australia for 5 months. Need to change from my USofA mobile phone carrier to an Austrlian mobile phone carrier. It looks like there are three: Optus, Telstra, & Vodafone. Any advice about coverage or pricing? Thanks.

by vpas

i was in australia recently and bought a vodafone prepaid for just 30 dollars.it lasted me a whole month.however i must confess that i used it more to recieve calls than to make.their coverage is good.
happy travels,

International Mobile Phone mobility 101

by carteki

Okay, couple of things that you need to be aware of when you want international mobility with your mobile.
1) Is your phone the 3G model? If not, leave it in a drawer in the US. It will NOT work in Aus.
2) Is your phone network locked? The odds are that the answer is yes. You will have to phone AT&T to get the unlock code. If they won't give it to you, then leave it in a drawer
If you can answer yes to q1 and no to q2 then start bothering what carrier etc to use. The odds are in a realitively urban area the coverage will be much of a muchness. Check out the websites and their coverage maps.
Cheers

by cafank

There are far more providers than the three you mention. Newcastle is a large regional area and should have great coverage (haven't used my mobile there!) with the choice of other providers.

Our system is not great and we still have many pockets with poor coverage - I live very close to the "famous" Gold Coast - a huge city and still drop out when I am only 5 k's from the coast.

Check out http://www.phonechoice.com.au for additional info on other providers.

by betska

I don't think that my phone is 3G.

I live in Nelson Bay (just north of Newcastle) and have always been happy with the coverage that optus provides, if that's any help.

by carteki

Betska, the reason that the phone has to be 3G is that the US (north america) has a different network to the rest of the world. Your phone won't work in the US even if it is the same "model".

Itinerary suggestions for Sydney -> Gold Coast -> Fraser Coast -> Sydney ?

by newtooz

Gday frndz,
I am coming to Sydney next week and I wanted to take a 7day vacation in OCT this year. My plan : Sydney -> Gold Coast -> Fraser Coast -> Sydney
I like to visit places, njoy scenic views, hangout on beaches.
Can you guys help me to create itinerary for me?
Where to stay and what to do?

Note : I dont want to spend more in accommodation.
Backpackers or bed and breakfast ones are fine.

by Belsaita

bookmark

by colin_bramso

Are you planning to drive or fly from Sydney to GC and back?

(B&B is an expensive option in Oz, motels are much more affordable).

by elpariente

Australia is very big !!!
Anyway I am telling you some places we enjoyed in order that you start to make your plans
We went from Cairns to Melbourne and we liked : Fraser Island , Whitsunday Island , Magnetic Island , Seventeen Seventeen ( South end of the coral reef ) , Noosa beach

In general all the coast and beaches are beautiful and you will not have problems to find budget places to stay
We rented a car , but as far as I know bus is also an option

Good travel !!!!

Buen viaje !!!!!

by JohanIsWeg

For the Gold Coast: lots of beaches, all the way from the Spit to Coolloongatta! The off-leash dog beach at the Spit is great if you like dogs! Take surfing lessons on the beach...

Visit Q1 for breathtaking views of Surfers and surrounds during the day and at night. Go into the GC Hinterland (Binna Burra and O'Reilly's).

Go Zorbing! Visit Tropical Fruit World, just across the border in NSW. People watch at the very many trendy places in Surfers. Animal watch at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.

Not forgetting Sea World, Movie World, Dream World and Wet 'n Wild!

You'll find something...

by JohanIsWeg

...forgot to mention: deep sea fishing, jet boating, whale watching (if that takes your fancy).

Australia 10 days itinerary help in April, 2006

by bluesky123

Hi, Dear everyone,
My husband and I ( 30 years old) plan to visit New Zealand and Australia for 3 weeks ( 21 days). So I assume that maybe I should spend 10 days in Australia. We love nature ( mountain, waterfall, lake, river), like hiking to see scenary, love diving and beach. We will leave from US around April, 15 and take 21 days vacation. We plan to drive, we can do camping or live in cheap hotel. We are hard player. If needed, we can sleep less and visit more places. we can take domestic airplane if needed in Australia

In Australia, We guess that we want to visit from Melbourne to Cairns, along the coast. We can drive around or take flight if needed.

Since we may only have 10 days for Australia, Can you tell us what are the most worthy places/national or state parks/cities/museums/islands/beaches/mountains/rivers/lakes/waterfalls/forests, or just interesting places to visit and experience some wild adventure?

By the way, when looking at map, there are so many National parks in Australia. Could you tell me the best top 3 national parks to visit in Australia? Especially along the coast? or parks that we can fly/drive to?

Thanks everyone for your input in advance!!!

RE: Australia 10 days itinerary help in April, 2006

by Mostmello

Here's 3 days! Start at the Gold Coast and head to Sea World. That night - have dinner in the greatest restaurant of them all Chiangmai Thai at Broadbeach. Whilst at Broadbeach visit the Q1 tower and have coffee whilst looking at the views of the best beaches in Australia. Next morning - head north to Brisbane. (45 minutes drive). Spend lunch at Southbank and visit Mt Coot-tha for an afternoon coffee. Then head north to the Cooroy RSL for dinner (which is the best meals for a real cheap price), and stay the night at Noosaville on the river. (Munna Beach resort is nice, and still cheap). The next day you can spend at Noosa, and visit the Noosa National park which is a beautiful walk. You can also take some great boat cruises through the river and lake system which is magnificent just north of Noosa (lake Cootharaba). Spend the night at Munna beach resort again (which is in a restaurant district), and get up early for a full day on Fraser Island - the worlds largest sandy national park. Take a full day tour of this area. If you're going to Cairns - make sure you see the great barrier reef from a helicopter flight, and do a cruise/scuba trip. If you want me to book anything for you - drop me an email. Cheers Mark

Comments