Best Western Tuscany On Tor Motor Inn

Inside the Church HallInside the Church Hall

"Empire Theatre""Empire Theatre"

Inside St. Patrick's CathedralInside St. Patrick's Cathedral

Travel Tips for Toowoomba

Lovely town with lots of History...

by Sweetberry1

As well as being a great town to visit, Toowoomba is well known for the beautiful parks and gardens. Springtime in Toowoomba is exceptionally beautiful.

Toowoomba Visitor Centre is located on the corner of James and Kitchener Streets

LAUREL BANK PARK

by balhannah

This park is lovely to visit at any time of the year, but when the Carnival of Flowers is on, it is at its very best.
Mr. Stephens donated the land to the Toowoomba city council in 1932, but before handing it over to them offically in 1934, he designed the layout of the gardens.
Mr Stephens was known to many as 'the man of flowers'. He loved gardens & flowers allowing only a Croquet green to be incorporated in the gardens.

Every year, when the Carnival of Flowers is on, you can have a Devonshire morning tea at the Croquet club. We did, and it was beautiful! One huge scone, jam & cream, and a cup of coffee all for $4.
You could have one huge muffin, and of course, tea instead of coffee. It was a wet day, so we could have sat inside, but instead, we sat on the verandah and enjoyed our morning tea whilst admiring the gardens.

During the carnival of flowers, they have a raised stand that overlooks the garden beds. We went up, and had a wonderful view over all the garden beds, a must do when here.

It is here that major floral float for the parade stays. Climb inside, and have your photo taken as the "Queen!"
The Wisteria Arbour is at its best too [September], there is seating underneath.

There are lots of exotic trees, including English and Spanish oaks, Japanese maples and many more, all in a well kept lawned area. It really is a nice park for a family picnic, there is Playground equipment, a gazebo and Toilet's in the park, and those trees add the much needed shade on those warm, summer days.

Other history............Laurel Bank Hall in the gardens, was built during World War II to be used as a mess hall for US naval troops.

Toowoomba

by tiabunna

""The garden city""

Toowoomba is Queensland’s largest inland city, with a population of a little under 100,000. You will find it about 1.5 hours’ drive west of Brisbane on the top of the Great Dividing Range, at the eastern side of the Darling Downs, for which it is the main administrative centre.

For many years, the annual Carnival of Flowers has been Toowoomba’s main tourist attraction. That extends even as far back as my primary school days, when my teacher (who must have visited) came up with the clever notion that our weekend homework should consist of an essay about the Carnival of Flowers. Now, my knowledge of flowers extends little beyond the ‘cauli’ variety and, at that stage, I had never been to Toowoomba. I had a dilemma on my hands! Luckily my Dad came to the rescue and said “I’ll write something for you”. So he produced some waffling prose about rows of golden daffodils swaying in the breeze, with petunias and roses sprinkled all over, giving a magnificent effect that dazzled the eyes of beholders. Something to that effect, anyway. I happily copied it, took it to school and handed it in. A day or so later, when Dad asked how my essay had been received, I showed him the teacher’s note: ”George, you can do better than this”! LOL The teacher obviously twigged what had happened and had a sense of humour, but I think we all learned a lesson from the exercise – the teacher didn’t set such obtuse essay subjects after that, I didn’t approach my Dad to do my homework essays, and it became a family joke.

I’ve since passed through Toowoomba many times, but until now I’d never stayed there. Even this trip was simply overnight, but it was enough to indicate that, at some time, we should allow enough time to look around a little more. And, if we do it in September, I might just get to see the Carnival of Flowers. Then, at last, I will be able to write a genuine essay (call it a VT tip) about the event.

Comments