Cedar Lodge Motel

View from Castle HillView from Castle Hill

Horseshoe BayHorseshoe Bay

Moving To Townsville from SA

by Miss_1984

Im thinking of moving to Townsville from Adelaide, but have not yet been there.... would like some first hand advice from the locals on what kind of place it is, what sorts of shops there are and other facilities.. I have a 2 year old son and I am a single mum, aged 22. Would like a fresh start and get to know some new people and raise my son in a good environment...what are the 'better' suburbs to live in and what is the employment like up there? i would love to gain employment in art/photography... thanks guys. Cheers! xx

RE: Moving To Townsville from SA

by lou31

I don't come from Townsville but my family all live there. It is about 4.5 hours drive from here and I try to get up there once a year. How do you describe Townsville?

In one word.....HOT!
In summer it is very very hot and humid and it hardly ever rains up there! Hence the surrounding countryside is mostly brown and dry.
Very large town...small city?...take your pick.
The town is actually quite spread out. It is a well planned town with a good pro active council.
It is also an army town. The Lavarack Barracks are situated within the city and this has a certain impact on life in Townsville.
The main attraction is what they call the Strand. The town is built on the coast some years ago they did up the esplanade. Nice place to spend the day and escape the heat.
Have a look at my Townsville page to get a better idea of what the place is like.
If you have any questions email me and I'll do my best to answer.

RE: RE: Moving To Townsville from SA

by Stippleeffect

Nearby Magnetic Island is a nice place to visit, I got the impression that a lot of locals use it as a bolt-hole/get-away...its only a small island but veru beautiful and scenic.

Re: Moving To Townsville from SA

by catharry

Hi,

We are also moving to Townsville from brisbane... never been there either but have been told this isnt uncommon. We have a 4y/o girl & 1y/o son so i have been asking around, apart from being told it v/hot i have heard nothing but great stuff. Spoke to real estate agent today about rentals and she suggests annadale, riverside gardens aitkenvale as all really nice places/family orientated to live. Also I had a look at the chamber of commerce website too. Hope any of this helps.

Amanda

Re: Moving To Townsville from SA

by trixta73

Hi, We are thinking of moving to Townsville in the very near future. I was wondering if anyone could give us some advise. We have a three year old boy. My husband is a deisel mechanic and i work in retail. I was wondering about availability of childcare. As well as average prices for rental/house prices. I have loved the pics I gave seen of the place and miss living near the beach. I have been told by certain people that the hot weather there is unbearable. How ever it has to be better than the cold/hot weather of Adelaide. Plus I am hoping we will climatise over time. Any info would be appreciated, Cheers, Vick

Travel Tips for Townsville

The Strand - A relaxing walk

by amandajayne81

We enjoyed our walk from one end to the other of the Strand. It is a few kilometres I would guess and was very relaxing and we passed people of all ages and types doing the same. Would be lovely in the morning, daytime and at night. Lots to see and do. Possible could be warm in Summer. Hard to believe things like this can be free! Some great pubs and other eats and drinks along the way.

The Strand

by ettiewyn

The Strand is Townsville's beach promenade, similar to The Esplanade in Cairns. It features cafés and restaurants, a small beach, shops, a water playground, lawns and picnic places and a lagoon.
It is great to stroll around here, to enjoy the sun and the lively atmosphere. I loved having a coffee in one of the many cafés and watch the people, and then hanging around at the beach.

Townsville

by halans

..."We walked down to the beach walk, called The Strand, with in front a view of Magnetic Island. Again a sign and a red flag warning for stingers and a bottle of vinager to relieve you of the pain in case of... Townsville apparently is the largest tropical city in Australia (including Thuringowa city). There are several historic buildings around town, especially around Cleveland Bay. It is flanked in the back by Castle Hill casting rising up behind the town."...

More on our Australia pages

..."The hotel is situated in a city district called... Belgian Gardens! So far away from home, still so close... The hotel has a nice tropical garden, nothing belgian about that! In our garden view room we find another bottle of chilled champagne. Thank you very much!"...

Comments